HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Mhm, 65$ is about what you should expect to get for the RNH, I bought one a couple of days ago for 60$.

The older cards you have are a lot harder to put values on without pictures but here's a rough idea..
When it comes to vintage cards, if they're not graded, they won't return nearly as much as they would if they were slabbed. Here's a rough idea of what you can get assuming they aren't graded.

Regarding the Bossy, if it's in absolute perfect condition, I could see it fetching around 75$. Anything less, you'd be looking at around 50$ or so.

The Bucyk, with a card that old I'd have to see a picture. But you said you'd grade it a 7, that's a very high grade for a 50's card. By your description of the card, it doesn't sound like a card with a grade of 7. Just for reference, this is a card graded 7:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Topps-H...p2047675.l2557

But like I said, pictures are a necessity when it comes to vintage cards. Would love to see some pics
Did you buy it or win it? I just searched eBay.. and for the "Buy it Now" cards, 8 are listed at $90+, and 3 are between $80-$90.

As for the Bucyk, I completely forgot about the grading difference for vintage cards.. so yeah, it's definitely not a 7.

Note: Beside the skate closest to the edge, at the calf, it shows some white.. that's my shirt reflecting on the toploader. Also, on what would be Bucyk's right cheek (left on the card) is a white dot.. That's just a speck on the toploader. Even with the corners and all that, it was still worth the $46.50 (I rounded up to $50) I spent for the simple fact that it's Johnny Bucyk.. arguably the 2nd greatest Bruins forward to ever play!!

Old
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
TamaTavares

vCash: 500
I still buy hockey cards occasionally, but it's just gotten too expensive. I like to collect cards because I like collecting the cards, not really looking to make a profit. Now it's all about going after rare cards and getting like 5 cards in a pack for top $$. I sometimes just buys lots of common cards off ebay for pretty cheap.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:29 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaTavares View Post
I still buy hockey cards occasionally, but it's just gotten too expensive. I like to collect cards because I like collecting the cards, not really looking to make a profit. Now it's all about going after rare cards and getting like 5 cards in a pack for top $$. I sometimes just buys lots of common cards off ebay for pretty cheap.
They're not hockey cards, but Topps Five Star Baseball is around $400 for 5 cards, and from all the boxbreak videos i've seen by Chri5784.. I'd say about 80% of the cards he's pulled (at least 100+ in total) are damaged in some sort.. be it a bent corner, or a chipped edge.. They're absolutely terrible. It's at the point where consumers are hoping for redemptions instead of the actual card, that way they know they'll be getting it in perfect condition.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:38 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Did you buy it or win it? I just searched eBay.. and for the "Buy it Now" cards, 8 are listed at $90+, and 3 are between $80-$90.

As for the Bucyk, I completely forgot about the grading difference for vintage cards.. so yeah, it's definitely not a 7.

Note: Beside the skate closest to the edge, at the calf, it shows some white.. that's my shirt reflecting on the toploader. Also, on what would be Bucyk's right cheek (left on the card) is a white dot.. That's just a speck on the toploader. Even with the corners and all that, it was still worth the $46.50 (I rounded up to $50) I spent for the simple fact that it's Johnny Bucyk.. arguably the 2nd greatest Bruins forward to ever play!!
I bought the RNH off of a hobby forum. You can't look at "Buy it Now" prices. They're useless, I can list a card for a 150$ BIN, doesn't mean it'll sell for that. Look at "sold" listings on the RNH. The average selling price is roughly 65$. There are the odd ones that will sell for 75-80$, just the same way there are the odd ones that sell for 40-50$.

As for the Bucyk, I imagine you'll get around 50-75$ for it. Nice card overall.

Best of luck with your sales!

Old
02-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappy View Post
Thanks for the info. I will do a bit more research and see. AFAIK the card is in absolute perfect condition (for a 25+ year old card anyway). I've had it since grade 8, and now hitting 30, I may need to sell it for real life expenses, but I would prefer not to as it does hold sentimental value and just good ol' memories of when I still collected cards.

BTW, where is a good source/local place to do grading around Vancouver?
In Vancouver ? Probably no where. Unless you use KSA.

Quote:
They're not hockey cards, but Topps Five Star Baseball is around $400 for 5 cards, and from all the boxbreak videos i've seen by Chri5784.. I'd say about 80% of the cards he's pulled (at least 100+ in total) are damaged in some sort.. be it a bent corner, or a chipped edge.. They're absolutely terrible. It's at the point where consumers are hoping for redemptions instead of the actual card, that way they know they'll be getting it in perfect condition.
Upper Deck the Cup is like that. 600 dollars for 10 cards I think.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
I bought the RNH off of a hobby forum. You can't look at "Buy it Now" prices. They're useless, I can list a card for a 150$ BIN, doesn't mean it'll sell for that. Look at "sold" listings on the RNH. The average selling price is roughly 65$. There are the odd ones that will sell for 75-80$, just the same way there are the odd ones that sell for 40-50$.

As for the Bucyk, I imagine you'll get around 50-75$ for it. Nice card overall.

Best of luck with your sales!
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Old
02-14-2013, 05:24 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Upper Deck the Cup is like that. 600 dollars for 10 cards I think.
The Cup also has 5 cards.
Price wise, it depends on where you're buying them. I've seen some sites that sell them for as low as $400, but some that are upwards of $600.. and then there's Panini Prime which is currently going for about $175.00 for 5 cards, but you're lucky if you get 1 decent card in it. Alot of single-colour "patches".. The one that seems to be the best of them all though is Dominion. I don't think i've ever actually seen a bad box/pack of Dominion, and they're $300 for 8 cards.

Personally, i'll stick with buying blaster boxes at Wal-Mart for $25... and if I want something "gimmicky", i'll buy a card or two off eBay.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
The Cup also has 5 cards.
Price wise, it depends on where you're buying them. I've seen some sites that sell them for as low as $400, but some that are upwards of $600.. and then there's Panini Prime which is currently going for about $175.00 for 5 cards, but you're lucky if you get 1 decent card in it. Alot of single-colour "patches".. The one that seems to be the best of them all though is Dominion. I don't think i've ever actually seen a bad box/pack of Dominion, and they're $300 for 8 cards.

Personally, i'll stick with buying blaster boxes at Wal-Mart for $25... and if I want something "gimmicky", i'll buy a card or two off eBay.
I was buying and selling cards on eBay quite a lot a few years ago. Cracked a fair amount of product, sold off a bunch of good cards, bought some good cards, and thought I would try the really high end stuff just once. So I bought a tin of "The Cup". Got one terribly damaged card that Upper Deck would not replace, and four others valued at approximately $75 total. All that for $450.

Never again.

Now I just pick them off on eBay for cents on the dollar compared to what they were broken open for.

How guys who break boxes (especially the high end stuff) make money, I will never know.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I like sharing my collection, so here is a picture of my Jesse Schultz The Cup RC collection. Sorry about the quality. Jesse is Nick's cousin, and also from my hometown, so that's why i go after as many of these as I can. He only played one full game in the NHL with the Canucks, got injured in the second one, and now plays for the Rapid City Rush in the CHL. There are a few more on eBay for $50.00 Buy It Now, but I usually pick these off between $10 - 20. Sometimes less, sometimes more (depends on the patch). I get most of them, though, because I am a bit of a card hoarder.

The gold ones on the bottom are /20, the others are /249.

I love The Cup because they are great looking cards and awesome quality. They are obviously pretty expensive.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Chobomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
In Vancouver ? Probably no where. Unless you use KSA.
Should I just send it to Beckett for the BGS? I have never done so before and feel a little anxious to send a $1k+ card in the mail...

Old
02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Should I just send it to Beckett for the BGS? I have never done so before and feel a little anxious to send a $1k+ card in the mail...
Get it insured.

I have sent hundreds of cards through the mail, have had problems with maybe five. It's a small risk, but always use Xpresspost and be accurate with the value of the card.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Chobomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Get it insured.

I have sent hundreds of cards through the mail, have had problems with maybe five. It's a small risk, but always use Xpresspost and be accurate with the value of the card.
Insured through the postal service or Beckett?

Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Insured through the postal service or Beckett?
Post office... Beckett won't insure your mailing. When you fill out the form to have it graded, they will most likely ask you to fill in an approximate value. That's so they can insure it through the PO on the trip back.

I just sent in a few of my cut autograph custom cards to PSA... Cyclone Taylor, Doug Harvey, etc. authenticated value of probably $1500-2000. I insured it and sent it with delivery confirmation - made it from Maine to California with no issues at all

Old
02-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
I love The Cup because they are great looking cards and awesome quality. They are obviously pretty expensive.
I like The Cup too but I won't spend that much on hockey cards. So what I do is put Upper Deck Series 1+2 (base set) in a binder and at the end of the binder, I put cards of retired players from their last season if possible and at the front, I put some Cup/Dominion/Panini Prime cards of the best players from that season so for 11/12, I'd put the trophy winners and nominees basically plus a few more.

Dominion is nicer than Cup so far imo though it's just been produced twice. The base cards for these usually cost $1-3 from eBay.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
I was a big Ray Bourque collector from about, oh say Mid-80's thru mid/late 2000's. Had virtually every card made of him from the beginning through about 1999-2000ish (and those of you who were around through the Pacific Parallel days know what a big deal that is, LOL!!)

All in all i gathered a massive collection of, I don't know - 100,000 cards? Let's put it this way - I used a miniscule portion of it as collateral to buy my first home.

Then one year, Ray Bourque had (and I remember this distinctly) 49 different Game-Worn Jersey cards FROM UPPER DECK ALONE! And - that's when I decided it was time to switch my collecting habits!

So I decided to change things up a bit and do my own thing... I started to MAKE my own hockey cards... Primarily Cut Autograph cards. I enjoyed the process of designing and actually putting them together, and it made for real nice ways to display some of the autographs that I had aquired over the years...

These are a small sample of my home-made jobbies... A number of them have subsequently been slabbed by PSA/DNA...

That's a few of them, anyways... If I get some more time, I'll post some more...
Those are outstanding. I think I have seen some of them before on another site, maybe??? Anyway, tremendous work. I agree with another poster who said they look every bit as good or better than the card companies' designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I like The Cup too but I won't spend that much on hockey cards. So what I do is put Upper Deck Series 1+2 (base set) in a binder and at the end of the binder, I put cards of retired players from their last season if possible and at the front, I put some Cup/Dominion/Panini Prime cards of the best players from that season so for 11/12, I'd put the trophy winners and nominees basically plus a few more.

Dominion is nicer than Cup so far imo though it's just been produced twice. The base cards for these usually cost $1-3 from eBay.
I'll need to check out Dominion. I have not really collected sets for years. I more or less just snipe things here and there. Right now I am into finding "Forever Rivals" autos. There are a lot of guys in that set that I remember from when I was a kid who would not be described as stars, but still guys from my past (Bill Derlago, etc.)

Old
02-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
I was a big Ray Bourque collector from about, oh say Mid-80's thru mid/late 2000's. Had virtually every card made of him from the beginning through about 1999-2000ish (and those of you who were around through the Pacific Parallel days know what a big deal that is, LOL!!)

All in all i gathered a massive collection of, I don't know - 100,000 cards? Let's put it this way - I used a miniscule portion of it as collateral to buy my first home.

Then one year, Ray Bourque had (and I remember this distinctly) 49 different Game-Worn Jersey cards FROM UPPER DECK ALONE! And - that's when I decided it was time to switch my collecting habits!

So I decided to change things up a bit and do my own thing... I started to MAKE my own hockey cards... Primarily Cut Autograph cards. I enjoyed the process of designing and actually putting them together, and it made for real nice ways to display some of the autographs that I had aquired over the years...

These are a small sample of my home-made jobbies... A number of them have subsequently been slabbed by PSA/DNA...

This one I actually gave away to a friend:

This one I just recently sold on EBay... First and only homemade jobbie I've sold.

This is one of a set of three cards featuring the "Miracle On Ice Counterparts"...
There's this "Coaches" card (the final actual physical card has a white Victor Tikhonov autograph) - and there will be a "Captains" card with Eruzione and Boris Mikhailov cuts, and a "Keepers" card with Jim Craig and Vladislav Tretiak cut autos.

(and the back)

That's a few of them, anyways... If I get some more time, I'll post some more...
Those are fantastic,hope you post more!

Old
02-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Lots of good memories have been brought back from this thread. Anyone remember the first few years of McDonalds hockey cards? They used to be 39!

Old
02-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Lots of good memories have been brought back from this thread. Anyone remember the first few years of McDonalds hockey cards? They used to be 39!
Their 3D cards were awesome:

02-15-2013, 04:27 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:

How guys who break boxes (especially the high end stuff) make money, I will never know.
If you're opening boxes hoping to make money, you're doing it wrong.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:38 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:

I know you've sold one, but have you ever thought about selling the others on eBay? I'm more than sure you could get a nice amount for them (although I highly doubt that's why you made them) and I know I'd be interested in them if the price was right...

I'm assuming each autograph/material is the real thing..

Old
02-15-2013, 11:28 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
I know you've sold one, but have you ever thought about selling the others on eBay? I'm more than sure you could get a nice amount for them (although I highly doubt that's why you made them) and I know I'd be interested in them if the price was right...

I'm assuming each autograph/material is the real thing..
The Richard that was sold was done so on EBay...

You're right - I don't make these with the intentions of selling them, but from time to time real life (and daycare) gets in the way of good intentions... So things happen

And - yes all autos are the real deal... as are any GJ pieces you see. (For example - the LaFleur Card... If I were to sell that, it would be accompanied by the 4 cut-up Upper Deck cards I used to get all the jersey pieces, so the new owner would be assured that it wasn't just made up out of my old socks or anything)

And FWIW - The Rocket went for $160 on the 'Bay...

Old
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
The Richard that was sold was done so on EBay...

You're right - I don't make these with the intentions of selling them, but from time to time real life (and daycare) gets in the way of good intentions... So things happen

And - yes all autos are the real deal... as are any GJ pieces you see. (For example - the LaFleur Card... If I were to sell that, it would be accompanied by the 4 cut-up Upper Deck cards I used to get all the jersey pieces, so the new owner would be assured that it wasn't just made up out of my old socks or anything)

And FWIW - The Rocket went for $160 on the 'Bay...

That almost hurts me to read

$160 for a home-made card is..... wow!!! I'm assuming though that most of your cards are 1/1's or at most /5..
I can only imagine the amount you could bring in for the Orr/Richard/Howe

Old
02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
That almost hurts me to read

$160 for a home-made card is..... wow!!! I'm assuming though that most of your cards are 1/1's or at most /5..
I can only imagine the amount you could bring in for the Orr/Richard/Howe
All are one of a kind...

And the 4 cut up cards were nothing to write home about - I think I got them on Ebay for $5-8 each...

Old
02-17-2013, 05:17 AM
craig130106

After reading the thread and fondly remembering some of the card i used to own i thought i'd see if i could find the remaining cards. I've found a few but not as many as i had hoped.

I doubt i have anything of huge value, i was wondering if someone on here who was still in touch with the card scene could give me a rough idea of what to expect if i sold a few of my cards on ebay?

I've taken some quick pictures, not great quality but you can see the cards.

Top L - ignore, i've just seen the card has a couple of marks on
Top C - Brendan Shanahan 2002 UD Then And Now GU Jersey
Top R - Jason Spezza 2003 Calder Rookie Card #105/299
Bottom L - Joe Thornton (97?) Bowman CHL stars
Bottom C - Niklas Lidstrom 2004 UD Franchise Fabrics
Bottom R - Ilya Kovalchuk 2002 Bowman Young Stars GU Jersey

Top L - Daniel Sedin 1997 UD crash the game
Top R - Daniel Sedin 1998 UD WJC Card
Bottom L - Daniel Sedin 2001 UD signed jersey
Bottom R - Daniel Sedin 2000 UD MVP Stanley Cup Edition SHL Prospects

Top L - Henrik Sedin 1998 UD WJC Card
Top R - Henrik Sedin 1997 UD crash the game
Bottom L - Jiri Fischer 2000 Pacific Prism #49/160
Bottom R - Ryan Smyth 2004 UD Beehive GU jersey

L - Vincent Lecavalier 1998/99 Be A Player signed
R - Vincent Lecavalier 1998 WJC Card

L - Markus Naslund 2002 Signature Series signed
R - Markus Naslund 2004 Supreme Hockey GU Jersey #74/500

L - Martin St Louis 2002/03 Signature X signed
C - Sergei Fedorov 1995 Donruss basic card hand signed "Sergei #91"
R - Darren McCarty 1994 Donruss basic card hand signed

Old
02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig130106 View Post
After reading the thread and fondly remembering some of the card i used to own i thought i'd see if i could find the remaining cards. I've found a few but not as many as i had hoped.

I doubt i have anything of huge value, i was wondering if someone on here who was still in touch with the card scene could give me a rough idea of what to expect if i sold a few of my cards on ebay?

I've taken some quick pictures, not great quality but you can see the cards.

Top L - ignore, i've just seen the card has a couple of marks on
Top C - Brendan Shanahan 2002 UD Then And Now GU Jersey
Top R - Jason Spezza 2003 Calder Rookie Card #105/299
Bottom L - Joe Thornton (97?) Bowman CHL stars
Bottom C - Niklas Lidstrom 2004 UD Franchise Fabrics
Bottom R - Ilya Kovalchuk 2002 Bowman Young Stars GU Jersey

Top L - Daniel Sedin 1997 UD crash the game
Top R - Daniel Sedin 1998 UD WJC Card
Bottom L - Daniel Sedin 2001 UD signed jersey
Bottom R - Daniel Sedin 2000 UD MVP Stanley Cup Edition SHL Prospects

Top L - Henrik Sedin 1998 UD WJC Card
Top R - Henrik Sedin 1997 UD crash the game
Bottom L - Jiri Fischer 2000 Pacific Prism #49/160
Bottom R - Ryan Smyth 2004 UD Beehive GU jersey

L - Vincent Lecavalier 1998/99 Be A Player signed
R - Vincent Lecavalier 1998 WJC Card

L - Markus Naslund 2002 Signature Series signed
R - Markus Naslund 2004 Supreme Hockey GU Jersey #74/500

L - Martin St Louis 2002/03 Signature X signed
C - Sergei Fedorov 1995 Donruss basic card hand signed "Sergei #91"
R - Darren McCarty 1994 Donruss basic card hand signed

Some of the cards I couldn't find a value for, but for those I could, I think you could maybe get something along the lines of:

Shanahan - $10-15
Spezza - Unsure (v.#/875 = $15)
Thornton - $2
Lindstrom - $10
Kovalchuk - $10
D Sedin - $5
D Sedin - $.50
D Sedin - $25-30
D Sedin - $.50
H Sedin - $.50
H Sedin - $5
Fischer - Unsure