HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That's about the going rate, once you take into account shipping. Really depends on the shape of the cards though. Is the Sakic mint? Centred? etc...

Check out ebay for price comparisons.

If it's something you plan to collect and look through a few times, how can you go wrong for that little money. I bought the same set, and the nostalgia factor alone makes it worth $15.00.
The Sakic card is in great condition and it looks great. Not sure why you mean by centered though.

How about the Brian Leetch rookie card though, anyway that goes up in value?

I'm thinking about buying newer cards, but I rarely get hits in packs. So I'm thinking about buying a box, despite how expensive they are. Any tips on what to buy?

Old
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
The older Heroes and Prospects boxes have far fewer hits/box.

The 2007/2008 box has 1:20 for game used and 1:16 for autos.

The 2012/2013 box has 1:7 for game used and minimum 2 autos per box (the one I opened had 3 including a Doug Gilmour auto). Plus the new 3-d cards are pretty slick.

The new box is about twice the price but far more bang/box.

Plus a big part of the fun of the Heroes and Prospects cards is getting cards from prospects you might not otherwise know anything about.
The quality per hits of H+P and BTP have gone down a lot though the last 3 years despite the number increasing. ITG has responded to the general public for "more hits per box" but the result using a wider-range of players and GUs with higher print runs. Much less multi-color swatches in their breaks too nowadays.

They don't even have the license to use AHL players anymore, which has taken a substantial amount of the "future NHLer player/star" value out of the breaks, and replaced them with more-likely-to-bust CHLers.

So, for a much lower price point and more NHL stars that you can get for your hits, I'm all about the older releases while they're still available.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
The Sakic card is in great condition and it looks great. Not sure why you mean by centered though.

How about the Brian Leetch rookie card though, anyway that goes up in value?
Even if in great condition, you basically have to get a magnifying glass to see the difference between 8-10.

By centering, the issue with that set is the picture of sakic will be printed on the card either too high or low. Ideally, the two blue lines at the top and bottom should be of exactly equal size.

There are a lot of Sakic rookies in great shape. Only a few have ever been graded a perfect 10 though.

For an idea of what I'm talking about, here's an 8.5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-90-O-Pe...item35c6c48267

Look pretty perfect, but then when you get really close up you see an ever so tiny white mark on some of the corners. The corners don't quite come to perfect points. The blue strip on the top is larger than the one on the bottom. There are some slightly jagged parts at the edges.

To get a perfect 10, it's not enough to pull the card and preserve it. It had to be perfectly produced and not suffered any damage between when it was produced and you opened it.

Basically, with a Sakic card, the odds of getting a 10 are so low, it's probably not worth the $15 or so dollars it would take to get it graded.

Although I'm thinking about getting a Fleury RC from that year graded. I bought a lot of 50 for $20. Going to go through the lot and pick the best one. More of a personal thing though, as he's my favorite player of all time. Not really doing it for the money...in fact I'll probably lose about $10 in the deal.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
The quality per hits of H+P and BTP have gone down a lot though the last 3 years despite the number increasing. ITG has responded to the general public for "more hits per box" but the result using a wider-range of players and GUs with higher print runs. Much less multi-color swatches in their breaks too nowadays.

They don't even have the license to use AHL players anymore, which has taken a substantial amount of the "future NHLer player/star" value out of the breaks, and replaced them with more-likely-to-bust CHLers.

So, for a much lower price point and more NHL stars that you can get for your hits, I'm all about the older releases while they're still available.
The value of the hits, for the most part, decreases over time. The odds of pulling the really big hits are low to begin with, but if you're looking for a game used jersey card, you can find the old ones for cheaper than the new ones, with a few exceptions usually.

I also disagree about the print runs. There are plenty of /10 and /50 in the newer boxes. In my box of 2012/2013 I got an /10 and an /50.

I really think you're missing out on a lot of the fun with an older heroes and prospects box too. With the new box, you're getting all sorts of cards from players who may or may not be stars.

With an older box you're getting a bunch of guys who've fizzled out and some stars mixed in.

Edit....just took a look and only $35 for a 2006 box on Ebay...I'd definitely go for that if they didn't want another $20 for shipping to Canada.

Last edited by blankall: 06-07-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old
06-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I'm close to making a $10.50 investment in a 1971-1972 OPC Bobby Orr card (#100).

Good investment?

I'm pumped, just bought a 1974-75 Topps Ken Dryden card for 99 cents!

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 06-09-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
06-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I'm close to making a $10.50 investment in a 1971-1972 OPC Bobby Orr card (#100).

Good investment?

Orr one is valued at 100.

Ken Dryden is 15.

Old
06-09-2013, 06:27 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I have bought anything substantial in about 10 years. Bt have a pretty decent collection. I still mess around here and there and buy ****. But nothing crazy.

I have way too much to post but do have a pretty sick Khabibulin collection. He was my favorite goalie at one point

Old
06-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Some signed TTM returns of custom cards. The St. Laurent on the right is not a custom, he also added an extra signed pic. Also Panini announced some new cards for Father's Day...they look a bit gimmicky though so meh.

Ron Ellis (one on the right is a Topps/OPC)

Jean Guy-Talbot who added that signed piece of paper:

Rick Vaive (customs are the two on the left)

Old
06-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Even if in great condition, you basically have to get a magnifying glass to see the difference between 8-10.

By centering, the issue with that set is the picture of sakic will be printed on the card either too high or low. Ideally, the two blue lines at the top and bottom should be of exactly equal size.

There are a lot of Sakic rookies in great shape. Only a few have ever been graded a perfect 10 though.

Look pretty perfect, but then when you get really close up you see an ever so tiny white mark on some of the corners. The corners don't quite come to perfect points. The blue strip on the top is larger than the one on the bottom. There are some slightly jagged parts at the edges.

To get a perfect 10, it's not enough to pull the card and preserve it. It had to be perfectly produced and not suffered any damage between when it was produced and you opened it.

Basically, with a Sakic card, the odds of getting a 10 are so low, it's probably not worth the $15 or so dollars it would take to get it graded.

Although I'm thinking about getting a Fleury RC from that year graded. I bought a lot of 50 for $20. Going to go through the lot and pick the best one. More of a personal thing though, as he's my favorite player of all time. Not really doing it for the money...in fact I'll probably lose about $10 in the deal.
A card can still get a 10 with 60/40 centering.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:49 PM
blankall

Got the ITG 1972 box I ordered. Each box comes with 3 autos and one memorabilia card. Here are my pulls:

ITG 1972.jpg

Didn't get the greatest players with the auto cards, but the style they are done in is really cool. Just an old school guy with a pen marker.

The Kharlamov jersey card alone makes the box worth it. Since he died in 1981, you know it's not some cheezy photo op jersey either. Although I feel bad about the fact they destroyed a jersey to make this card.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:

Everything you said is correct but the main reason why OPC Sakic rookies don't get graded to BGS 10 like ever is because the in the OPC product, rather than cut the cards mechanically with sharp (and expensive) knives, they cut the cards with wires. Thus the edges are so rough that the edge subgrade will never get even close to the 9.5 needed to even have a shot at 10 (with the three other subgrades at 10).

The only time an OPC card gets graded to 10 BGS is when someone finds an uncut sheet with the card otherwise umblemished and has the card professionally cut by laser. This is also true for a lot of old baseball cards too...someone finds a proof sheet from Topps and has the card cut.

Nowadays The Cup has redemptions for entire sheets and some people have the sheets cut so that they can sell the individual cards.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:08 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:

Good investment?

Beware of Orr RCs...if you get one that's too cheap, it's quite possible it's counterfeit, unless it's so beat up that it barely resembles a card.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:09 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Did a show in Toronto a few weeks ago looking to sell my collection so I can afford a few things (namely a wedding). Figure I can't afford to get back into the hobby anymore, so no sense having binders upon binders sitting around the house.

It was depressing. Basically got into the hobby and got out of the hockey at just the wrong time. Outside of some lukewarm interest in my 88 and 89 OPC hockey sets and a few cards from the 70's and early 80's I acquired over the years, my entire collection isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on. Knew I should have invested in real estate.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:30 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Everything you said is correct but the main reason why OPC Sakic rookies don't get graded to BGS 10 like ever is because the in the OPC product, rather than cut the cards mechanically with sharp (and expensive) knives, they cut the cards with wires. Thus the edges are so rough that the edge subgrade will never get even close to the 9.5 needed to even have a shot at 10 (with the three other subgrades at 10).

The only time an OPC card gets graded to 10 BGS is when someone finds an uncut sheet with the card otherwise umblemished and has the card professionally cut by laser. This is also true for a lot of old baseball cards too...someone finds a proof sheet from Topps and has the card cut.

Nowadays The Cup has redemptions for entire sheets and some people have the sheets cut so that they can sell the individual cards.

Definitely true for older cards, but by 1989 OPC was no longer producing the "OPC cut". You can find lots of sharp edges on the 89/90 set. Also, some cards with the OPC have gotten tens. It all depends on whether or no that frayed edge is perfectly preserved. Some collectors find the OPC cut adds to the look.

As for having a sheet cut, that will normally devalue the card. If there's any evidence of that the card is considered tampered. So if you have an older OPC cut without the OPC edge, that may, in itself, warrant classifying the card as tampered with and ungradeable.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
DoubleJ96

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Did a show in Toronto a few weeks ago looking to sell my collection so I can afford a few things (namely a wedding). Figure I can't afford to get back into the hobby anymore, so no sense having binders upon binders sitting around the house.

It was depressing. Basically got into the hobby and got out of the hockey at just the wrong time. Outside of some lukewarm interest in my 88 and 89 OPC hockey sets and a few cards from the 70's and early 80's I acquired over the years, my entire collection isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on. Knew I should have invested in real estate.
Yeah that 90's stuff is garbage for re-sale value. I literally gave the stuff away that I didn't want and I think it instantly got thrown out.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Definitely true for older cards, but by 1989 OPC was no longer producing the "OPC cut". You can find lots of sharp edges on the 89/90 set. Also, some cards with the OPC have gotten tens. It all depends on whether or no that frayed edge is perfectly preserved. Some collectors find the OPC cut adds to the look.

As for having a sheet cut, that will normally devalue the card. If there's any evidence of that the card is considered tampered. So if you have an older OPC cut without the OPC edge, that may, in itself, warrant classifying the card as tampered with and ungradeable.
This is the year they went back to the presses and mass produced a ton more product so the majority has bad cutting.

Also I've seen 10s of vintage cards that were cut that way and graded.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginlafan View Post
Yeah that 90's stuff is garbage for re-sale value. I literally gave the stuff away that I didn't want and I think it instantly got thrown out.
Early 90s, yes. Late 90s it's still possible to have cards of value. Early 90s you basically have to have über rare autos.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Hey guys, I need some advise.

I have an offer of the table , in which I would buy 4,000-5,000 cards for $100 and he pays for shipping. The problem is, is that most of the cards from the 90s and when he sent me the pictures of some of the cards (it was a very small sample size) none of them caught my eyes. He said he doesn't know anything about hockey cards, but im thinking in such a massive amount of cards, there HAS to be goodies in there. He says the manufacturers include Fleer, Scorebox, Pro Set, etc.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Watch for the Yeti: 06-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old
06-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Why guys, I need some advise.

I have a an offer of the table , in which I would buy 4,000-5,000 cards for $100 and he pays for shipping. The problem is, is that most of the cards from the 90s and when he sent me the pictures of some of the cards (it was a very small sample size) none of them caught my eyes. He said he doesn't know anything about hockey cards, but im thinking in such a massive amount of cards, there HAS to be goodies in there. He says the manufacturers include Fleer, Scorebox, Pro Set, etc.

Any thoughts?
I personally if I had $100 to spend would gladly take that many cards. HOWEVER, I like quantity instead of quality and I don't try to re-sell them. If you're expecting something of value in that amount instead of just wanting the cards then it's probably not worth it because they are probably all low end mass-produced 90s cards otherwise he wouldn't be selling them for that amount. If you get lucky, it might have an un-opened packs but they probably don't have anything of value inside.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I personally if I had $100 to spend would gladly take that many cards. HOWEVER, I like quantity instead of quality and I don't try to re-sell them. If you're expecting something of value in that amount instead of just wanting the cards then it's probably not worth it because they are probably all low end mass-produced 90s cards otherwise he wouldn't be selling them for that amount. If you get lucky, it might have an un-opened packs but they probably don't have anything of value inside.
It's not really that I want to sell them, I just won't to have the quality cards because they're cool. He said he hasn't gone thru 99% of the cards

I know it's the 90s, but there has to be something, you know?

I'm also thinking about ditching the hobby and instead collect membrobilia. The coolest card I have is a Jeter RC.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Hey guys, I need some advise.

I have an offer of the table , in which I would buy 4,000-5,000 cards for $100 and he pays for shipping. The problem is, is that most of the cards from the 90s and when he sent me the pictures of some of the cards (it was a very small sample size) none of them caught my eyes. He said he doesn't know anything about hockey cards, but im thinking in such a massive amount of cards, there HAS to be goodies in there. He says the manufacturers include Fleer, Scorebox, Pro Set, etc.

Any thoughts?
There should be a lot, but one would imagine that if someone has that many cards they were buying to get good ones and took them out.

If you can land a few rookies of each of Jagr, Sundin, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Leetch, etc and get lucky and get a good card from Fleer, or another set then you might be in business.

If Parkhurst is involved and you get a Roy, Gretzky, etc gold card then you'll make your money back (in terms of value) right there.

If you collect just to have them, then I'd say go for it.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Bhrangerfan0809

Guys, I could really use your help on this one:

I'm picking up where I left off on my card collection 6 or so years ago. This time around I'm looking solely for autograph and memorabilia cards, and I'm using eBay as my primary means for searching for them. I just bought ten autographed cards from eBay for about $10 each, and $15 is about as high as I want to go for right now (low budget for this sort of thing, but I'm committed nonetheless). I'm looking for getting autographs of the best players I can in this price range. The autos I bought were:

Loui Eriksson
Jari Kurri
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Bobby Ryan
Jamie Benn
Brenden Dillon (I'm a Stars fan)
Jared Cowen
Bobby Clarke
Jim Palmer (baseball)

I'm not looking to resell any of these; my collection is purely for sentimental purposes. So who would you suggest I add next? They can come from any sports, I guess. Any players I should buy an auto of while their cards are still cheap or any players I should wait on until their average autograph price lowers? Remember again I'm trying to get autos of the best players possible, but I'm also looking at some top prospects too. Thanks in advance!

Old
06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
blankall

.NM.

Last edited by blankall: 06-20-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrangerfan0809 View Post

I'm picking up where I left off on my card collection 6 or so years ago. This time around I'm looking solely for autograph and memorabilia cards, and I'm using eBay as my primary means for searching for them. I just bought ten autographed cards from eBay for about $10 each, and $15 is about as high as I want to go for right now (low budget for this sort of thing, but I'm committed nonetheless). I'm looking for getting autographs of the best players I can in this price range. The autos I bought were:

Loui Eriksson
Jari Kurri
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Bobby Ryan
Jamie Benn
Jared Cowen
Bobby Clarke
Jim Palmer (baseball)

I'm not looking to resell any of these; my collection is purely for sentimental purposes. So who would you suggest I add next? They can come from any sports, I guess. Any players I should buy an auto of while their cards are still cheap or any players I should wait on until their average autograph price lowers? Remember again I'm trying to get autos of the best players possible, but I'm also looking at some top prospects too. Thanks in advance!
You bought 10 autos for 10 bucks each ? ****, if you just collect Autos I have a ton I'd sell for less than that.

I'd look for a young player who isn't very highly touted yet, but looks to have tremendous skill and could break out. This way, the cards are cheaper and if he does break out they go up in value. Stay away from Montreal, Toronto and other popular teams. A Louis Leblanc card would go for more than it should.

I finally got my top loaders in, so now I can put all of the kraft hockey cards from 86 into top loaders. Before I only had the important ones.

Old
06-19-2013, 10:20 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrangerfan0809 View Post

Loui Eriksson
Jari Kurri
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
Bobby Ryan
Jamie Benn
Jared Cowen
Bobby Clarke
Jim Palmer (baseball)

If your a Stars fan, why not go after cards of Modano(might be more then $15 but I'm sure if your patient, you could get one for $15 or under), Turco, Zubov, or Lehtinen?

Closed Thread