HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Held their values? According to the magical book they may have held their value. They aren't valueless, but they certainly aren't as valuable as they once were. If you think otherwise, go ahead and try to sell them. You won't get near the same money you would have when they were new. And most won't go for near what the new hot rookies go for. Card values decrease every year, aside from the top rookie or two who comes out hot and maybe the odd guy who becomes a star and was common when his cards first came out (Giroux, Quick). And even those will drop in the long term. There are no long term up arrows in new cards, only down arrows.

Kovalchuk is for example, only the same in Beckett magazines. You could legitimately buy/sell a Young Gun for 125 bucks new. I could get one for 40 today. bad examples friend.
Datsyuk young guns selling for $60+ at the low end and some pushing $80+ would go against your statement. Fyi thats about double every single young gun from last season except for RNH.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
So what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Malkin and Crosby Young Guns won't be worth half of what they are now in 10-15 years? Unless there's a huge spike in card popularity. Which IMO, won't happen.

Intriguing. I figured Crosby's Young Guns rookie would never drop below $100-150.
There's one main base Crosby rookie worth around 300 while Ovechkin's is only worth 80-100 for some unknown reason.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sidney-Crosby...#ht_500wt_1288

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/05-06-Upper-D...#ht_500wt_1288

I bought a card on ebay for around 40 bucks. It was a triple signature card. Had Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman and Tyler Myers... It was graded too. 9.5 and the sigs were 10 by Beckett. Probably the luckiest find for me on ebay. I'll see if I have a scan of it.

Don't have a scan of it, but this is it http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-10-BAP-H...ht_1809wt_1037

Graded, I think I could get 60 for it ? If I were to sell it .

Last edited by Analyzer: 08-08-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Aerolanche

Funny, I haven't collected cards since before the lockout, but I've also bought three tins of UD 2011/12 cards in the past couple of weeks. Two with Crosby, one with Ovechkin on the front (so I think two series 2, one series 1). I've gotten a rookie materials card of Ben Holmstrom, a jersey card of Jay Bouwmeester, about 9 Victory cards, about 11 rookie cards including Landeskog (purchased seperately) and Nugent-Hopkins, and overall close to half of the entire base set of 400 cards.

Best hockey card series: 1999-2002 UD MVP, especially the Stanley Cup Edition series.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Old
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
The only real problem on hobbyinsider is finding guys who will dig through their commons boxes
It's funny cuz it's true.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Really??? Are there that many Crosby, Malkin, etc. rookie cards???? I thought most of them were shortprinted to avoid overproduction???

Hell I'd be happy if I could just afford Crosby and Malkin UD Young Guns rookie cards in 10-15 years. I've never wanted any super crazy extravagant rookie cards of theirs. I've always preferred the simplistic yet elegant look of their Young Guns rookie cards.
Actually there are like 20 different Crosby rookies and same with Ovechkin. The values range on Crosby from like $5/10 to $7000 for his best one. And it's possible to get a better copy (better patch, numbered to his jersey number, etc.) that's even more.

A low value Crosby will be his Victory rookie. His best is from The Cup, which is autographed, numbered to 99 in the world and has a piece of patch from a jersey he wore in a photoshoot (since the card came out his first year in the league, he hadn't had any game worn jerseys yet as he hadn't played any games!)

Old
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
Hey guys,

I've wanted to buy a signed/jersey card for each one of the "big 4" on the Oilers.
Would I be better off finding a better deal on ebay or at a shop?
Yakupov has no official NHL cards yet and RNH's cards this year are all photoshoot jerseys as the cards were made before he stepped on the ice. If you don't care about photoshoot, the 11-12 Upper Deck series 2 Rookie Materials card of RNH will be a very affordable jersey card.

If you want all game used, you'll have to wait a bit, like two years.

EBay is a good bet. I recently opened a triple patch Edmonton card but it had Hall, Eberle and I think Hemsky.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

Any specific players you folks like to collect? A friend of mine seems to have about 40 different Rick Nash cards.

Personally, I collect quite a few players.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Datsyuk young guns selling for $60+ at the low end and some pushing $80+ would go against your statement. Fyi thats about double every single young gun from last season except for RNH.
Datsyuk Young Guns sell for 40 solid. 80 rarely, only if you find a sucker. Datsyuk is a bit of an exception as well, as a large majority of the print run has damage. I've seen only a few in good condition. But, if you consider how rare you find a mint condition one, the value is still pathetic.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Any specific players you folks like to collect? A friend of mine seems to have about 40 different Rick Nash cards.

I have about 7-10 Malkin cards, and 6+ Luongo cards.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Wow. Ovie and Stamkos rookie cards are only worth $100 now??? For Stamkos that sounds about right, but I woulda pegged OV's around $125-150.

What's the definitive pricing guide?? Beckett has always been kind of a crapshoot no???

And Malkin's is worth $100 too you say? Interesting. I would have thought his was maybe worth $75-80 but I guess it's gone up since he hit the 50 goal plateau and got his second Art Ross, a Hart etc.
Both typically go for around 75. Anywhere from 50 to 80 is about right

Old
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Both typically go for around 75. Anywhere from 50 to 80 is about right
For which? Stamkos's Young Guns cards? Ovie's Young Guns card? Or Malkin's?

Old
08-09-2012, 11:23 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
For which? Stamkos's Young Guns cards? Ovie's Young Guns card? Or Malkin's?
Stamkos wouldn't go for 50 right now, Ovi and Malkin are the ones I was referring to. Stamkos stuff seems to go a bit better right now though.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Robotic

Quote:

I have an Afinogenov autograph card, plus jersey cards from Buffalo and SKA. A nice little collection of Mad Max.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligent_d View Post
Cheers, thanks for that.

I searched online for the 2012-2013 O Pee Chee set (had no idea Upper Deck owned them, that's how far out of the hobby I've been), and it seems exactly the kind of low-end, contemporary-yet-traditional set I was looking for.

The Score ones look great as well, though I'm not crazy about the logo being so prevalent.

Think I'll pick up a few boxes of O Pee Chee.
Opening OPC is SOOOO fun! If you don't care about getting nex years' rookies and just want to open as many boxes as possible (which will give you a better chance of building the set) you can try 06-07 OPC with Malkin, Staal, Kessel and Kopitar RCs. 07-08 is cheap too. 08-09 is expensive and tough to find...and comes in two series, making it a tough product to collect.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Stamkos YGs are selling for just a bit over $50 consistently. He's a bit cold right now but last year he was red hot and trading for over 75 bucks.

Malkin YGs were trading earlier at 100, going up while Crosby was out. It went back down after the Pens got knocked out by Philly. It's back down to around 50 bucks.

Ovechkin YGs are now less than 70 bucks. The year before his down season, it was selling at over 100. This card is way more common than Malkin's YG or Crosby's...a lot more were printed. If this card was printed in the same amounts as the other two, it would probably be a 150 to 200 card.

Crosby YGs are a healthy $225 right now even though his cards in general have been cold due to his repeat injury problems and early playoff exit.

Jonathan Quick's junk RCs (they didn't even make a Young Guns of him or any autograph cards his rookie season 07-08) went from soft 10 bucks to hard $150s and up.

These are sales prices on the open market. There are people selling them and buying them for even more in retail shops.

- R.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Have not opend a pack in years. Good times

Old
08-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Try hobbyinsider.net...spending a month on that site will expand your hockey card knowledge 1000-fold and the people on there sell their stuff for cheap, especially the smaller cards.
What about checkoutmycards.com? I use that to look at the back of cards because when I order cheap commons of retired players, I wanna make sure it shows their stats and preferrable multiple seasons (that's why I love OPC). I noticed that on checkoutmycards, there's a tonne of cards for all players and the commons for those retired players are fairly cheap. They charge 25 cents shipping per card so are they reliable and if I place an order of say 50 random cards then will they send them as they get them or will I get them at once?

Btw, does anyone know of former recent NHLers who haven't retired but are likely never coming back to the NHL (eg Samsonov or Radulov)?

Old
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Robotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

Btw, does anyone know of former recent NHLers who haven't retired but are likely never coming back to the NHL (eg Samsonov or Radulov)?
A bunch of Russians: Vyacheslav Kozlov, Viktor Kozlov, Maksim Mayorov, Viktor Tikhonov, Vladimir Zharkov, Alexei Kovalev, Nikolai Zherdev, Alexander Frolov, Sergei Shirokov, Ivan Vishnevsky, Evgeny Dadonov, Enver Lisin, Nikita Filatov, Denis Grebeshkov, Dmitri Kalinin, Evgeny Artyukhin,

Old
08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
A bunch of Russians: Vyacheslav Kozlov, Viktor Kozlov, Maksim Mayorov, Viktor Tikhonov, Vladimir Zharkov, Alexei Kovalev, Nikolai Zherdev, Alexander Frolov, Sergei Shirokov, Ivan Vishnevsky, Evgeny Dadonov, Enver Lisin, Nikita Filatov, Denis Grebeshkov, Dmitri Kalinin, Evgeny Artyukhin,
Wasn't Kovalev talking about an NHL comeback?

Old
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
What about checkoutmycards.com? I use that to look at the back of cards because when I order cheap commons of retired players, I wanna make sure it shows their stats and preferrable multiple seasons (that's why I love OPC). I noticed that on checkoutmycards, there's a tonne of cards for all players and the commons for those retired players are fairly cheap. They charge 25 cents shipping per card so are they reliable and if I place an order of say 50 random cards then will they send them as they get them or will I get them at once?

To be honest I don't know much about that site. HI (hobbyinsider.net) is a community of many collectors who within their ranks have an enormous amount of knowledge and cards. It covers all sports but 90% of it's users are hockey card-focused.

Old
08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
I have about 7-10 Malkin cards, and 6+ Luongo cards.
Nice. I have a Luongo Jersey Patch that I pulled from an UD pack a few years ago. Don't really collect Luongo, though. I've been collecting for years. I've got over 50 different Yzerman cards. 40+ Brodeur cards. 10+ Toews cards. 10+ Malkin cards. 25+ Crosby cards. 25+ Ovechkin cards. I can go on and on and on lol :p

Old
08-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

I collect Patrick Roy cards and to a lesser extent Carey Price. I have around 150 Roy cards and about 15-20 Price cards.

These are some of the cards. It's been a while since I've scanned any.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Roy%20cards/

I went heavy into Steve Mason cards when he was good. Man, what a **** up.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
My collection isn't as extreme as some of the others have posted, but it's not bad. I don't buy my boxes in shops or online, I simply go to Wal-Mart and buy their boxes. Yes, the odds aren't AS good, but that doesn't matter to me, I simple love to collect. The first pack I opened of this years UD contained a RNH YG, so that was a surprise to get out of a $30 box. The box also contained a Joe Colborne YG, a Stephane Da Costa YG, and a Roberto Luongo jersey.

What i've been doing lately is going on eBay, and narrowing down my search to auto/game-used, switching the sorting to "Time Left: Ending Soonest" and just getting my cards that way. You can find A LOT of nice cards for low prices that people haven't bid on.

My last few purchases are:
11/12 Panini Contenders NHL Ink - Adam Larsson - $3.50
07/08 ITG Game Memorabilia Auto/Jersey #28/40 - Logan Couture - $10
11/12 Rookie Anthology Luxury Suite Stick/Jersey - Michael Del Zotto - $4.25
11/12 Crown Royale Royal Lineage Materials - Johansson/Ovechkin/Maruk - $4.33
11/12 Crown Royale Heirs to the Throne Jersey - Jonathan Blum - $0.99
09/10 Ultimate Signatures Rookie - Colin Wilson - $2.00

Old
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
m16516

I've built a large collection with my father the last 12+ years. Lots of high end Autos and Patch cards. All the high end rookie cards. Probably spent over $10,000 in 10 years on boxes and tins and such. But if I were to liquidate my collection I would easily pull in $50,000. And thats just hockey stuff.

If anyone one would like to take a look at some of my stuff here i most of it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eagle1/Hockey/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Devils%20NFT/

Old
08-09-2012, 10:06 PM
wreckless

curious to see where this ends up at..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300753608785...84.m1423.l2649

another example of a sought after set with a unique patch getting big money.

Closed Thread