HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
I opened three boxes of 89-90 7th Inning Sketch OHL hockey cards. Pulled six normal Lindros and had three complete sets. Good times. . It arrived the mail same day that the Hull Heroes set did (with Header).

Old
08-15-2012, 01:31 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That was true...15 years ago.

Now that the escalation has slowed down and it's mainly Upper Deck and one other company with a smaller market base, it's no longer true.

For example, SP Authentic's autographed Future Watch RCs have stayed at the /999 quantity for nearly 10 years now and the cards hold their value overall. Individual prices may go down as player performance declines or better players emerge. Kind of like how Tom Barrasso RCs are worth just a couple bucks.

But having a card with an on-card signature of a great player, those cards don't go down much, especially rookie year signatures.

I know you have your own personal agenda here but the facts don't support your case. The era of 90s escalation where each year the manufacturers made cards across the board artificially rarer and rarer thus making each previous years' cards worth less and less is long over.

Heck even those 90s cards, especially the toughest ones, have rebounded in value.
Not to mention, SPA aren't even the most collectible, even though they are very collectible in their own right.

If you get a Cup, Ultimate, Crown, Dominion, etc rookie card you have 1 of 99 in the world, so the value is always there and collectibility of those cards always remains high.

Old
08-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

This year's 12-13 O Pee Chee set looks awesome! For those of you looking to just find some nice cards to collect without looking for 1/1 auto patches and $20 packs, this product is for you!

If you wind up opening any from a hobby store, don't toss the wrappers. They have a very cool redemption program where you can get exclusive cards. People will buy your wrappers. Hobby only though.

Old
08-15-2012, 05:03 AM
BlueSinceBirth

I disagree with alot being said in this thread about cards. The card companies didn't ruin the hobby. Do you really think kids these days would want to build a set of cards when they could just play NHL 12 or text all day? While I wish the hobby was still booming like it was in the 90's, the manufacturers had to adapt and start producing the limited/jerseys/patches/autos that they do today to survive.

Also lately I have begun picking up some of the more limited 90's inserts and have noticed that prices have begun to rise a bit. The Rc's from that era (junk wax) will never have any value, but the inserts from that period are the best looking and some of the more limited ones are pretty valuable. Collect to collect, not to make money.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Am I the only one who collect cards for fun and not for their values? I can enjoy buying a box of cheap cards just cause it's fun.

08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
shello
@WShello9

Was very lucky my dad in the 90's as soon as he picked up that years (91-92) collection of upperdeck that he put them away in a binder right away.
Rookie cards in that year:
Jagr
Belfour
Rob Blake
Bure
Forsberg
Fedorov
Holik
Owen Nolan
Amonte
Sillinger
Felix Potvin
Arturs Irbe
Lidstrom
Brad May
Kasparatis
Yashin
Khabibulin (WJC card)
Kovalev (WJC card)
Trevor Kidd (WJC card)
Keith Tkachuk (WJC card)
Brian Rolston (WJC card)
Mike Ricci
Teemu Selanne
Mats Sundin
Eric Lindros
Doug Weight

Old
08-15-2012, 08:19 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Am I the only one who collect cards for fun and not for their values? I can enjoy buying a box of cheap cards just cause it's fun.
You're one of the few that understands the point.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
This year's 12-13 O Pee Chee set looks awesome! For those of you looking to just find some nice cards to collect without looking for 1/1 auto patches and $20 packs, this product is for you!

If you wind up opening any from a hobby store, don't toss the wrappers. They have a very cool redemption program where you can get exclusive cards. People will buy your wrappers. Hobby only though.
Has the set list been released?

Old
08-16-2012, 03:32 AM
TimtheDJ84*

The hobby is still alive and well and after a hiatus I began collecting again right as the season started. Check YouTube, cloutsnchara, blowout cards etc..so many group breaks going on and so much awesome product these days. I have about 15k cards and about 4-5 thousand hockey. The hobby is actually in good shape, but if anyone is interested here are some things to note. First, many people do not trust Beckett to determine value, they use online resources and base it on market movement. Second, if you want good odds, buy hobby. Retail maybe cheaper, but it is rare to get anything of value( some exceptions though). Third, and I know this may go against what I just said, but collect because you enjoy.it, not to make money, will be far more fun and less frustrating that way. Btw if anyone is interested in a Lemieux Hardware Hero's acetate card let le know. They are only 2 per case of black diamond and he needs a home..

Old
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Has the set list been released?
http://www.hobbyinsider.net/forum/sh...d.php?t=332072

Old
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Scott Hall
The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Was very lucky my dad in the 90's as soon as he picked up that years (91-92) collection of upperdeck that he put them away in a binder right away.
Jagr
Belfour
Rob Blake
Bure
Forsberg
Fedorov
Holik
Owen Nolan
Amonte
Sillinger
Felix Potvin
Arturs Irbe
Lidstrom
Brad May
Kasparatis
Yashin
Khabibulin (WJC card)
Kovalev (WJC card)
Trevor Kidd (WJC card)
Keith Tkachuk (WJC card)
Brian Rolston (WJC card)
Mike Ricci
Teemu Selanne
Mats Sundin
Eric Lindros
Doug Weight

It's sad... I remember seeing the value of my Bure rookie (back in the mid 90s) worth about $23 mint in the Beckett. Went to my local collector's store and they had it for sale for $0.50

Old
08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I wish we could merge the two eras together again. It's great to see all o the people here reminiscing about the old days or are still in the hobby today.

Old
08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Any good websites for Canada?

Da card wolrd is like 30 bucks for shipping north of the border.

Old
08-16-2012, 08:37 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I do the same I collect not for value but because I enjoy it/ am addicted, for me there is nothing like completing a set I guess I like the hunt.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

I've started collecting again, I just don't have the means to organize them by year and publisher. I've started small, boxes from Target and those old over produced OPC boxes from the early 90's. Now I know that UD is where it's at.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I've started collecting again, I just don't have the means to organize them by year and publisher. I've started small, boxes from Target and those old over produced OPC boxes from the early 90's. Now I know that UD is where it's at.
That's right. Also as a side note only UD can make Wayne Gretzky autographed cards.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:07 PM
billybobjoe2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
Btw if anyone is interested in a Lemieux Hardware Hero's acetate card let le know. They are only 2 per case of black diamond and he needs a home..
How much do you want for it and do you have a picture of it?

Old
08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Any good websites for Canada?

Da card wolrd is like 30 bucks for shipping north of the border.
If you're near Ottawa you can visit the Gamebreakers shop, those guys have singles and your shipping is 0. There's also Jim's as well. I visited both shops and really had a great time. We don't have a shop like that in LA.

Old
08-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I do the same I collect not for value but because I enjoy it/ am addicted, for me there is nothing like completing a set I guess I like the hunt.
I do both. I'm going to buy OPC for My team's cards, and I'll break UD base brand for the rookies, then I'll break more expensive product for fun, for the big hits.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Elever
Hth

Does anyone have some templates of enlarged cards (that can be printed on a 4x6 inch or greater size photo paper)? I'd like to make some cards for recently retired players like Moreau, Staios, Laperriere, and those not coming back to the NHL like Afinogenov so that it shows their complete career stats. For Lidstrom, I'll assume he'll be in future OPC cards or something.

I did find some templates online but they're for smaller/normal sized cards.

Old
08-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

How does 1 get a card graded by Beckett ?

Seems complicated and really expensive to get your cards graded + the risk of losing your cards...

Old
08-21-2012, 05:58 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Who wins this trade?

2011-12 Upper Deck Young Guns #214: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

for

2011-12 Titanium Rookie Private Signings: Gabriel Landeskog
2011-12 Artifacts Black Auto #'d 3/5: Joe Thornton

Old
08-21-2012, 06:15 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Not to mention, SPA aren't even the most collectible, even though they are very collectible in their own right.

If you get a Cup, Ultimate, Crown, Dominion, etc rookie card you have 1 of 99 in the world, so the value is always there and collectibility of those cards always remains high.
Sounds like a girlfriend that's been enhanced with silicone. Collectibility is there but something about it just doesn't feel like it carries the same value.....

Old
08-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Jagr
Belfour
Rob Blake
Bure
Forsberg
Fedorov
Holik
Owen Nolan
Amonte
Sillinger
Felix Potvin
Arturs Irbe
Lidstrom
Brad May
Kasparatis
Yashin
Khabibulin (WJC card)
Kovalev (WJC card)
Trevor Kidd (WJC card)
Keith Tkachuk (WJC card)
Brian Rolston (WJC card)
Mike Ricci
Teemu Selanne
Mats Sundin
Eric Lindros
Doug Weight

Lindros' rookie card is the year before in Score. And they're all basically worthless on this list anyway.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How does 1 get a card graded by Beckett ?

Seems complicated and really expensive to get your cards graded + the risk of losing your cards...
Beckett Grading Services routinely attends card shows (they have a schedule on their site) and you can get it pre-graded with them so you have an idea of what it would grade out to. I did that initially, but it has to be sent out to Beckett for true grading which they take care of at these shows.

I've sent out cards to be graded to Beckett and it's no big deal. They are probably the most reputable service and the chance of losing cards is minimal. As with most services, the more cards you send out to have graded... the cheaper it is per card. It's tiered in that way.

If you have a gem of a card, it's not too big of a deal to just send one to get graded. I pulled a Sidney Crosby RC from the '05-'06 UD Ice set and had to send it out because it is an expensive one. Came back a 9.5 so I was happy.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread