HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which teams do you think might win the cup for the next few years?

Old
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Intense Rage

vCash: 500
An obvious answer would the Rangers, few people realize how good they have become with adding Nash. If they can get a healthy Marc Staal into the lineup as well, I would consider them favorites and the most complete team in the NHL.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
drmagg

Anybody who thinks what LA will dominate SCF in years to come gonna be veeeeeery dissapointed (even more than penguins and flyers agitators)

My possible picks for next 5 years:
Blues
Bruins
Devils OR Rangers
Red Wings
Blackhawks
Blue Ja...err i mean Canucks

wild cards: Capitals, Oilers, Lightning

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
An obvious answer would the Rangers, few people realize how good they have become with adding Nash. If they can get a healthy Marc Staal into the lineup as well, I would consider them favorites and the most complete team in the NHL.
Marc Staal is healthy and while he struggled mightly in Feb-March while still getting his timing/conditioning down, he was back to his former self, if not better during the playoffs.

You might mean Michael Sauer; reports state he's showing encouraging signs of progress, but we simply can't count on him to be on the opening-night roster nor an everyday player for us (yet).

I'll take an NYR vs. BOS ECF and an STL vs. COL WCF this season.

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Dah Blooze.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
waaaaaaaaay too early to tell multiple years out, but here goes nothing:

strong candidates:
- more in the immediate term. Lundqvist in his prime plus that D core? They'll be a factor the next few years for sure.

- current champs and they didn't lose much of anything. Only thing that should get in their way is complacency.

- They're still damn strong down the middle with Crosby and Malkin, and Sutter in a shutdown role. Once their defensive prospects come into their own I wouldn't bet against them, and I still wouldn't ever count them out now.

- Needs to fix that defense and stop being, well, the Flyers as far as goalies go. But they're extremely strong down the middle short and long term.

- If Tarasenko proves to be legit this team isn't missing much. Just have to keep from tuning out Hitch. His style makes my eyes want to commit ritual suicide but it works.

- not really short term, but long term they're pretty loaded. One of the 2 or 3 strongest prospect groups in the league that should be coming into their own in about 2-3 years, while Koivu, Suter, and Parise are still in their primes.

- great forward depth, a quality goalie in Rask, and a solid defense. Only question is how Chara will age since he's the key to that blueline.

decent shot:
- Eric Staal and Ward have been there before and are in their primes, and should still be prime for another 3-4 seasons at least. Jordan Staal and Skinner are entering their primes. Some excellent young dmen and good young forwards in the system that could push the team into the contender category as long as the Canes keep their core group intact.

- The defense is solid, the forward group looks good. Just need to resolve their goaltending situation and manage the cap better.

- Offensively they could be phenomenal, but they need to address that defense and possibly goaltending in a big way first. More a long term project then any time in the next 3 years.

- Can Varlamov stay healthy? If so they have all the components to be good for a while starting in the next couple years. I don't think they're ready just yet though.

- They have the upcoming goalie in Markstrom, and the best pool of prospects in hockey. Just need to hope enough of that insane prospect depth pans out.

- Surprise team of last year, Lehner should be legit, and they have a lot of the needed pieces either in place or coming up. How will it all pan out for them up front long term though?

- They had a strong window but couldn't close the deal the past few years. They still have a lot of the pieces to be one including an improving defense, but they need to hope their forwards pan out.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:47 PM
FeedingFrenzy

The West Coast bias on these boards is obsurd..Hockey fans my azz. Fair weather more like it..
Anyone who leaves the Sharks off their list is just downright ignorant. Dont give me the Sharks always choke bs either. The only team that doesnt choke is the SC Cup Champs. Sharks top 6 O and top 4 D are easily top 5 in the NHL. That alone makes them dangerous. We appear to have addressed the horrible PK that was 30th(Larry!Larry!). Take off the colored glasses and give props or acknowledge teams that are worthy.

To add to the OP:

NYR,OTT,PITT

LA,SJ,VAN

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:12 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
The West Coast bias on these boards is obsurd..Hockey fans my azz. Fair weather more like it..
Anyone who leaves the Sharks off their list is just downright ignorant. Dont give me the Sharks always choke bs either. The only team that doesnt choke is the SC Cup Champs. Sharks top 6 O and top 4 D are easily top 5 in the NHL. That alone makes them dangerous. We appear to have addressed the horrible PK that was 30th(Larry!Larry!). Take off the colored glasses and give props or acknowledge teams that are worthy.

To add to the OP:

NYR,OTT,PITT

LA,SJ,VAN
The Sharks have been a pretty glaring omission on nearly every "prediction". I wouldn't take exception to it. This thread has pretty much been posters stating the obvious followed by throwing their team in at the end with some absurd reason as to why we should all believe their team is a contender for the Stanley Cup

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNNe View Post
Same thing was said about the Bruins a year before. Fact to the matter is that as things stand right now, all you need to do is make the playoffs and after that it's pretty much a crapshoot.
Terrible comparison. The Bruins were extremely lucky just to make it out of the first round(not to mention 2 other 7 game series) while the Kings absolutely dominated every team they faced.

The Kings have everything in place to win it a couple more times.

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
haha good one!
Seriously, Im not jokeing, they should be an contender withtin the next few years

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I still think that the Blues are a team to watch. If they manage to pick up a top-tier offensive free agent in the next year or two, I honestly do think that'd be enough to push them over the edge.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:51 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
The Kings have everything in place to win it a couple more times.
Except history.....only 2 teams have repeated in the past 20 years....and there are reasons for that...They'll need to deal with fatigue from the long playoff run and they now have a target on their back; every team wants to knock off the defending Cup champs and they will get the very best effort from each team they play throughout the season.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:02 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 638
Penguins
Wild
Hurricanes
Kings
Rangers
I think the Rangers and Penguins are the favorites for obvious reasons, but some of their stars and supporting cast are not getting any younger.

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:03 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I think the rangers will win this year

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:06 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Vancouver - Strong regular season performances, due to bounce back with a strong post-season.

New York Rangers - Added Nash to an already good core, should be the favorites to come out of the East

Pittsburgh - Any team with Crosby and Malkin is a contender. Now if only they can fix their D and goaltending brain cramps.

Philadelphia - Always looking to make a splash in free agency and at the trade deadline. Needs help on D but you can't count them out.

Boston - Have won before, could do it again.

St Louis - Good young core, might start to put it together in the post-season.

Dark Horses:
Minnesota - has goaltending, a legit #1 D-man and Parise, who will probably be their new captain. They just need to develop a supporting cast, and they should be dangerous.

Carolina - Picked up Staal and Semin, sending out a strong message to potential 2013 UFA's that they are trying to build a winning team.

Washington - They've got good goaltending and play a good team system in the playoffs. They may get lucky and go on a run.

Trending downward:
LA - got their win out of the way, and the NHL is happy that they got their chance to expand interest in the LA market. They won't have the stars align for them like that ever again with the key injuries to teams they faced in first couple rounds. They also benefited from drawing relatively weak opponents in the last two rounds. 2012 was just an outlier year, and they will regress to the mean.

Nashville - offense is a concern, losing Suter takes away a lot of their offense from their back-end. It also is going to make Rinne work harder to keep those good numbers.

Detroit - Lost Lidstrom and didn't land someone like Suter to replace him. They need to make some trades and mortgage their future or start a rebuilding process.

New Jersey - Lost Parise to free agency, will be in tough to make the playoffs this year.

Phoenix - may lose Doan, ownership issues are affecting on-ice product when it comes to UFA market.

Bitter Canuck fan sounds Bitter.

The Kings prospect pool is still among the deepest in the NHL and they still have Kopitar Brown Richards Carter etc etc etc etc. Yes, the only reason they won was due to "key injuries".

See you next spring, we should meet again at some point.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckridesagain View Post
Anaheim Ducks 2013 Stanley Cup Champions. Book it. If I'm wrong I'll print out this thread and eat it.
I stopped reading after this post, but wanted to reply just to make sure you've got plenty to eat

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
aandbreatheme

Rangers look really good (although I'm not a huge fan of their third line). I think they'll win soon enough.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Daniel Sedin is an Art Ross winning superstar. Simon Gagne is an injury prone player who has been a shadow of his former self for a number of years now.
While I agree that not having Daniel had an impact on the games that he didn't play in our not even having our injury prone player who is a shadow of his former self was an even bigger ding and we still managed to beat you in 5 games so that has to sting a little.

Also I wouldn't expect to see Gagne as our top 6 LW come playoff time if he hasn't proven himself worthy of the job. There will be several opportunities to pick up someone who can do the job during the season if needed.

It isn't a static thing.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

who knows? The last three cups were supposed to be won by Pittsburgh/Detroit/Vancouver/Whoever. It's always someone no one calls in the beginning of the season, trade deadline, or start of the playoffs.

so i'm gonna throw out some teams. the next 5 cups will be won by:

2013: Sabres
2014: Canucks
2015: Panthers
2016: Penguins
2017: Jets

BOOK IT.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:46 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 638
I wouldnt mind beating the Rangers for the cup just so Gaborik will cry

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:03 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Blues, Kings, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins. Young dominant cores with ownership willing to spend to win.

I'll plug the Avalanche in a couple years.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:03 AM
RANDOMH3RO

My two choices would be the Blues and Rangers, but especially the Blues. This was a good season for them, and they will build on it. The Rangers keep collecting good players so it's hard to bet against them. I'd put the Kings on here too, but the fact that teams that win the cup neveeer look as good the next season. Before the last season started I thought " why shouldn't boston win again this year? They're the same team, and they just won so they'll probably do it again". It never works out, there's more to winning the cup than just having the same group of players.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

One thing I notice is people who have strong prospect pools but weak teams now are getting projected to win in a couple of years. People need to realize that sometimes prospects just don't work out or never hit their ceiling. For the next 3-5 years I would pick teams with already strong rosters who are just looking for that final piece or just need it all to come together come playoff time.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:15 AM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
One thing I notice is people who have strong prospect pools but weak teams now are getting projected to win in a couple of years. People need to realize that sometimes prospects just don't work out or never hit their ceiling. For the next 3-5 years I would pick teams with already strong rosters who are just looking for that final piece or just need it all to come together come playoff time.

My list as well but I'd add Boston and Chicago as well. More so Boston than Chicago but yeah.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Devils and Islanders fans praising the Rangers? 2012 is true! The end is coming!!!

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Saving Greiss

Penguins, Rangers, Blues, and Kings. Not sure about other teams.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote