HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which teams do you think might win the cup for the next few years?

Old
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Awfully tough to repeat....there's reason it hasn't been done in 15 years....
And even when it was done that time, the team themselves said they won because of the accident. The team won the 97 cup, the limo accident CAUSED the 98 cup.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
thaman8765678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasa92 View Post
So just post wich teams probably wins the cup for the next few years, also play-off round predictions are allowed.
Thought i know it is too early but we can predict something out of the current rosters right?

And i'm a bit surprised there ain't a thread for this, well atleast i searched for cup contenders couln't find any so i made my own.

So here are my predictions for the top 6 most likely to win the cup for next years:

1. Minnesota: Parise, Suter, Koivu, Båckström and possibly the rookie of the year Granlund, high hopes for these players and this team.

2. Carolina: Staal brothers, Ward... Also Jokinen & Ruutu can be a deadly compination too, ruutu can tackle and set up where Jokinen can do some nice last second goals, like he did against the devils a couple of years back in the playoffs..

3. Detroit: Do i need to explain?

4. Boston: Thomas is taking a break but i don't think it will have any effect on the team, Rask is very good goalie and possibly even better than Thomas, well see this year.

5. Pittsburgh: Staals gone but they still got Crosby & Malkin and their friends.

6. Tamba bay: Stamkos can lead his team from victory to victory with goalscoring if the other players do their jobs well.
Minnesota, Carolina, Detroit and Tampa have a very slim chance of winning the cup in the next 5 years. Boston has a decent chance but don't know how you can say Rask is possibly better than Thomas if anything he's a huge question mark. Pittsburgh will most likely win the cup soon even though I hate them.

You also missed out on the cup winner this year for some strange reason but the Kings are definitely cup contenders. The Blues and Rangers are both young teams with good chances of winning. Philly also has a decent chance but in order for that to happen they can't be playing river hockey come playoff time.

So best chances of winning the cup in the next 3-5 years are:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Los Angeles
3. New York
4. Boston
5. St Louis

thaman8765678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Philly will win one, the rangers will, Pittsburgh will win another one and some bill **** random team will too.

I don't think Minnesota will.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Watch for the Yeti

People are overrating Minnesota.
Sure there offense is one of the best in the league, but outside of Suter that Defense is absolutely horrible.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:26 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
Sure there offense is one of the best in the league, but outside of Suter that Defense is absolutely horrible.
Their offense is NOT one of the best in the league, by a long shot.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Which is why we finished last season allowing less goals than 17 other teams right?

In all seriousness though, yeah, nobody should be putting the Wild to win the cup within the next couple years. Wait probably three to four years when our all our blue chippers have been in the NHL for a year or two and we're ready to make a run. Our defense lacks depth right now, but hopefully in a few years, our prospects like Brodin and Dumba will change that along with the continuing development of Scandella and Spurgeon.

Suter - Dumba
Brodin - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon

Lots of expiring contracts and a few injury concerns with our forwards so I'm not sure what that will look like in a few years other than Parise, Koivu, and Granlund still being there (assuming he even pans out).

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:55 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
IMO the offense is far from the best of the league, it was the worst last season. I don't think it would jump in one season from worst to one of the best. Over the next few years it will likely climb up, though, maybe to one of the best. And over the next few years their D will improve. Some of Scandella, Spurgeon and Prosser could easily develop to top 4 dman. And they have Brodin and Dumba coming up, Brodin possibly as soon as this year, without forgetting Gilbert and Suter.

So I would say that if their kids pan out, they will look pretty good in a couple of years. Maybe even next year.

edit. too slow.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I may be a homer but I feel completely justified in saying that the NYR have a very good chance of making some great cup runs.

Other than that, I see no reason why LA can't repeat. Underachieved in the regular season last year and finally burst through at the right time.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:08 AM
211*

i think Minnesota has the potential to be crazy scary good. they could actually win back to back Stanley cups

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Except history.....only 2 teams have repeated in the past 20 years....and there are reasons for that...They'll need to deal with fatigue from the long playoff run and they now have a target on their back; every team wants to knock off the defending Cup champs and they will get the very best effort from each team they play throughout the season.
That's not why recent past teams couldn't repeat. The reason has been that these teams couldn't keep their rosters together...either some guys got too old or too many players needed raises. LA got everyone back, added a healthy Simon Gagne and has even more cap room than last year to boot, the latter will prove handy in adding a significant piece at the deadline if anyone is injured.

Don't forget, all of the past mini-dynasties of Colorado, New Jersey and Detroit either kept their rosters together or kept trading parts to keep it fresh in the 90s and 00s.

Thanks to Lombardi's asset and cap management plus the team culture he built with Sutter's help, this is the first time in the cap era an entire playoff roster returns after a Cup win, and for even less of a cap hit! Also, they had the shortest run of any Cup winner in the history of the cap era. Heck they played the same number of games as the Rangers lol.

And I love your justification "no one else has done it" as the Kings broke so many records and dominated so many periods of hockey, you might as well assume that they'll break this trend too...first team to repeat in the cap era.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Darnell Nurse
Lottery not Rigged

2013 - Rangers
2014 - St. Louis
2015 - Edmonton
2016 - Flyers
2017 - Islanders (Not joking)

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I think NYR is one player away, Minnesota needs to first win back to back playoff berths before any Cup talk happens, Detroit will start rebuilding in the next five years, Carolina...they may make the finals but are missing too many pieces...at least two pieces behind NYR, NJD are still good as they were a forechecking team first and that entire team came back, STL is one and a half players away, Vancouver is dangerous and can do it, Avs are three players away, Edmonton is like six players away but have a lot of assets to get those players (they're still recovering from both the Visnovsky, Penner and Smyth trades...imagine that squad with Fraser, Penner, Greene and Stoll on it, especially Greene).

SJ can't be counted out, Phoenix is still good but missing 3 players...Doan bein one of them, Boston is still good if Rask plays to expectation, Washington...I'm not sure what they're doing but they're only a couple players away but we heard nothing about them in FA, Philly and Pitt both have the same problems on defense and Pitt also needs a few wings.

LA needs nothing but a sheet of ice, a puck and an opponent. It would not surprise me at all if the Kings regular season next year was as dominant as their playoff run this year.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:33 AM
JuniorNelson

I think Philadelphia is close to a cup.

In the west, I think LA went unscathed and can repeat.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
dan1el

I'm going to say St. Louis, Philly, the Rangers, Pittsburgh, and Los Angeles are all in very good shape to compete for the next few, and there are some very strong up-an-coming teams in Minnesota, Edmonton, Ottawa and Florida on the rise, if their fantastic prospect pools develop well, that could be in the running in 3 to 6 years.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:49 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
NJDevils7

NY Islanders. Their last game at the Coliseum will be winning the cup

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasa92 View Post
So just post wich teams probably wins the cup for the next few years, also play-off round predictions are allowed.
Thought i know it is too early but we can predict something out of the current rosters right?

And i'm a bit surprised there ain't a thread for this, well atleast i searched for cup contenders couln't find any so i made my own.

So here are my predictions for the top 6 most likely to win the cup for next years:

1. Minnesota: Parise, Suter, Koivu, Båckström and possibly the rookie of the year Granlund, high hopes for these players and this team.

2. Carolina: Staal brothers, Ward... Also Jokinen & Ruutu can be a deadly compination too, ruutu can tackle and set up where Jokinen can do some nice last second goals, like he did against the devils a couple of years back in the playoffs..

3. Detroit: Do i need to explain?

4. Boston: Thomas is taking a break but i don't think it will have any effect on the team, Rask is very good goalie and possibly even better than Thomas, well see this year.

5. Pittsburgh: Staals gone but they still got Crosby & Malkin and their friends.

6. Tamba bay: Stamkos can lead his team from victory to victory with goalscoring if the other players do their jobs well.
People still believe the Cup is won during free agency I see.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
octopi

edmonton is looking good for about 4 plus years down the road. I think LA,Pens, NYR looking good for the next few years...all have good, younger players and solid depth teams. Of course, theres still a few FAs to be placed and theres always shrewd GMs, but as an outlook for now I think those are the best choices.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That's not why recent past teams couldn't repeat. The reason has been that these teams couldn't keep their rosters together...either some guys got too old or too many players needed raises. .
What roster changes between the Red Wings (07-08) and the Penguins (08-09) cost them? Can you point to one? Both teams were re-loaded and ready to go the next season and failed to repeat.

Another difference between today's NHL and the NHL of 20 years ago is parity. The gap between the #1 and #8 seeds is closer than ever. Much less margin for error. I'm not saying the Kings CAN'T repeat, just saying that it won't be nearly as easy as you seem to be making it out to be.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
PeterForsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

I have seen the future. It has very bendy bendy knees and will win many awards.

Next year though, my tips would be LA/NYR in the final. Avs a dark horse.
<3 You, Avs will be a dark horse next year.

PeterForsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
What roster changes between the Red Wings (07-08) and the Penguins (08-09) cost them?
For Pens, possibly Scuderi and Gill. Not the most valuable players out there but both played important role during their run.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:06 PM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Pittsburgh in 2013
NY Rangers in 2014
St.Louis in 2015
Edmonton in 2016
Los Angeles in 2017

08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

I'm not trying to bash the Kings, but I don't believe they will repeat despite icing the same team because with the parity in the league the playoffs become to much of a crap shoot to win twice in a row. The kings had everyone going in th playoffs, and their secondary guys like King and Stoll were. if for them and preformed above their abilities IMO. Thr Stanely Cup hangover will most likely hit them hard, but in two year I believe they make their run. I don't know how this team will react to adversity in the playoffs because they pumalized their way to the cup. Just my 2 cents, not trying to go after LA

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I'm not trying to bash the Kings, but I don't believe they will repeat despite icing the same team because with the parity in the league the playoffs become to much of a crap shoot to win twice in a row. The kings had everyone going in th playoffs, and their secondary guys like King and Stoll were. if for them and preformed above their abilities IMO. Thr Stanely Cup hangover will most likely hit them hard, but in two year I believe they make their run. I don't know how this team will react to adversity in the playoffs because they pumalized their way to the cup. Just my 2 cents, not trying to go after LA
If you didn't want to seem like you were going after LA, maybe you should have talked about other teams in your post as well.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
It may just be me but I don't think acquiring your franchise star's brother and acquiring another player (regardless of how good) to a 1 year contract is sending out a strong message about trying to build a winning team.
I think it does, considering the amount of money spent.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote