HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Advice

Old
05-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Skate Advice

I'm a reasonably advanced skater who has been off the ice for over a year and only sporadically over the past several years...I've currently got a pair of old Bauer Vapors (VI), size 9 EE...I'm about 6' 225lbs and nothing resembling a speed demon. I've tried on several pairs of skates in the $400 range but a lot of the places I've been to don't carry EE sizes, they only bring them in as a special order. I've been leaning towards either the Reebok Ribcor 30K or the Bauer Nexus 1000...just looking for some advice or insight into these skates. I've tried the 30K's in a 9D and they weren't wide enough, but otherwise felt good and there were no Bauer 1000's only 800's and they were in a 9D as well...so I'm not sure what is the best suited to me....appreciate any advice.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 09:28 AM
AIREAYE

This should go in the skate thread.

Reeboks are now narrower skates so you should try EE. Have you tried CCM or Supreme?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This should go in the skate thread.

Reeboks are now narrower skates so you should try EE. Have you tried CCM or Supreme?
Sorry, you are right...this should have gone in the skate thread. My bad.

I tried a pair of CCM RBZ 90's in a size 9D but they also didn't feel wide enough and I didn't get a good heel lock, I never got to try a pair of supremes though. It's frustrating that I don't have much access to wide sizes around here (North Dallas).

I'm not sure how much discomfort I should chalk up to having tried the wrong size in a boot and how much should be acceptable due to needing to break them in.

Old
05-25-2014, 04:08 PM
AIREAYE

In that case, I always recommend people find time to make a day trip to go to their nearest large store to try on a few pairs.

Old
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Sorry, you are right...this should have gone in the skate thread. My bad.

I tried a pair of CCM RBZ 90's in a size 9D but they also didn't feel wide enough and I didn't get a good heel lock, I never got to try a pair of supremes though. It's frustrating that I don't have much access to wide sizes around here (North Dallas).

I'm not sure how much discomfort I should chalk up to having tried the wrong size in a boot and how much should be acceptable due to needing to break them in.
I don't normally advise buying skates online, but I would definitely order 9EE than settle for a narrower boot that you know is not right.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Canucker

I appreciate the input.

We have a new Hockey Giant near where I live and they didn't carry any 9EE skates...or they were sold out. I've also tried the local Players Bench...they were the ones who only brought in EE sizes on special order.

I think I'm either going to order the Reebok 30K's or the Nexus 1000's in a 9EE...right now I can get the 30K's for $399 (regular price), or get the Bauer 1000's on clearance + 25% off ($352) from Hockey Monkey. Any recommendations as to which is the better quality/performing skate?

Old
05-25-2014, 06:00 PM
AIREAYE

I don't understand your thinking right now. Neither should feel like a Vapor, though the Reebok might be closer, and both fit very different from each other...

Old
05-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Canucker

Quote:
I don't understand your thinking right now. Neither should feel like a Vapor, though the Reebok might be closer, and both fit very different from each other...
I'm not expecting them to feel like the Vapor, although I'd hope they'd feel better than my old POS Vapors if i were going to spend over twice as much money on them. I'm just hoping to buy a good skate that isn't going to kill my feet and that would be a good upgrade on my old skates. I'd love to be able to try on a slew of different skates in my proper size but thats not possible so I have to go in somewhat blind, thus why I'm looking for advice.

Old
05-26-2014, 08:01 AM
AIREAYE

Reebok EE will be much closer to your Vapor EE than Nexus. That Nexus EE would be like a true EEE or EEEE.

So at this point before trying them on, your question of better quality/performance is irrelevant unless you figure out which skates fit you best, as you are ignoring the penultimate rule when buying skates.

Old
05-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Reebok EE will be much closer to your Vapor EE than Nexus. That Nexus EE would be like a true EEE or EEEE.

So at this point before trying them on, your question of better quality/performance is irrelevant unless you figure out which skates fit you best, as you are ignoring the penultimate rule when buying skates.
Ok, that makes my decision a whole lot easier....Reeboks it is. Thanks for your help.