HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old
08-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Daffy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
graduate with a degree by Christmas for a job as an air traffic controller! amazing pay and benefits, and i get to retire at 55 so I get an extra 5-10 years of freedom over most people.

so dont piss me off or i might run your plane into a mountain
My fiance's brother got a job as an air traffic controller out of school last year.

Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:37 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Hard to plan now, but my current intentions are to follow up Sports Admin with Law @ Dalhousie.
Dalhousie is a great plan. The law school is very good and Halifax is just an amazing city. I moved there from Ottawa 4 years ago and I've loved my time here. Just finishing up the last few classes of my history undergrad now.

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:38 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I got question for you guys. I'm majoring in English. My Uni is required to have 2 minors to go along with it. What should I minor it? So far I'm leaning in Sociology and History/Philosophy.

However, someone recently told me that it's just a waste and I should focus on English, one important minor like History/Psychology/Sociology? and one like Linguistics(Considered easy minor)
Have you taken any other courses that you like so far? That's how I wound up doing a double major. I went back to do economics because it fit my line of work and future career goals but I really enjoyed a poli sci class and decided to pick it up. If you still have some first year classes you can burn try a few things. History would probably be good for you because there is lots of writing, I find geography really interesting, people who take history at my school often take Greek and roman studies as well as it is very similar to history.

Maybe you would enjoy poli sci as well, lots of writing!

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:44 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
I got question for you guys. I'm majoring in English. My Uni is required to have 2 minors to go along with it. What should I minor it? So far I'm leaning in Sociology and History/Philosophy.

However, someone recently told me that it's just a waste and I should focus on English, one important minor like History/Psychology/Sociology? and one like Linguistics(Considered easy minor)
I'm just finishing my history degree and I would definitely recommend it as a minor. It'll be great for your writing and research skills, and the things you learn will fascinate you more than any movie or story every could because they actually ****ing happened in real life.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:52 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
I'm just finishing my history degree and I would definitely recommend it as a minor. It'll be great for your writing and research skills, and the things you learn will fascinate you more than any movie or story every could because they actually ****ing happened in real life.
So what are you moving on to after graduation? Grad school or a real job? I take some history courses as well, they can be pretty fascinating. Last semester I took one that covered the history of slavery in the America's from 1500 to 1888 that was pretty awesome.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:00 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
Have you taken any other courses that you like so far? That's how I wound up doing a double major. I went back to do economics because it fit my line of work and future career goals but I really enjoyed a poli sci class and decided to pick it up. If you still have some first year classes you can burn try a few things. History would probably be good for you because there is lots of writing, I find geography really interesting, people who take history at my school often take Greek and roman studies as well as it is very similar to history.

Maybe you would enjoy poli sci as well, lots of writing!
I love Astronomy but hate math(even though I took Calculus in high-school) So i took an Astronomy course related to the more philosophical side of things than mathematical. LOVE IT.

I also want to keep in mind my possbility in obtaining a good minor degree that'll help in the job department. That's why I was asking about Sociology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
Really? I'm taking History course relating to the development of European civilization from 1300's till the 1900's. I love the Medieval times and the Enlightenment eras. Magnificent. What about as the years progress in Uni? What stuff should I expect?

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:09 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
I love Astronomy but hate math(even though I took Calculus in high-school) So i took an Astronomy course related to the more philosophical side of things than mathematical. LOVE IT.

I also want to keep in mind my possbility in obtaining a good minor degree that'll help in the job department. That's why I was asking about Sociology.
It's always a good idea to take things that will help out in the job department, although many of us will wind up doing all sorts of things that have little do do with what we took in school. I'm a big believer that if you are going to spend 4 years of your life in university you might as well enjoy what you are learning. It sounds like you have some things you are interested in so pursue them! I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:28 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
It's always a good idea to take things that will help out in the job department, although many of us will wind up doing all sorts of things that have little do do with what we took in school. I'm a big believer that if you are going to spend 4 years of your life in university you might as well enjoy what you are learning. It sounds like you have some things you are interested in so pursue them! I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.
You're the second person to tell me that today. Thank you, man!

Old
08-06-2012, 01:34 AM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
You're the second person to tell me that today. Thank you, man!
Lol, no problem buddy. Best of luck with school.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
graduate with a degree by Christmas for a job as an air traffic controller! amazing pay and benefits, and i get to retire at 55 so I get an extra 5-10 years of freedom over most people.

so dont piss me off or i might run your plane into a mountain
Wish I could go to school for ATC. Instead I complete an 8 minute online quiz about astronomy and math BS and get told to find a different job (can retry in a year). Sucks.

I work on the ramp at the airport. It's a good job for now, not planning to be there long time. I think I'm going to give ATC another shot, and then if it fails again I'll start flying.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Rals

Rocketship pilot, part time super spy.

Or an accountant in the government ..w/e they are close.

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Hey fellas. Just read through your thread out of interest. I know most won't care as I'm a lowly Leafs fan... but I think I'll join in anyways I like talking to other fanbases, especially during a boring off season like this.

I'm going into my fourth year of Computer Science/ Combinatorics and Optimization Minor at the University of Waterloo.

Cheers guys!

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:56 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Lol, no problem buddy. Best of luck with school.
Thanks again! Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Julez1212

Just finished 4.5 years at University, starting as an accountant in September.

Julez1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Studied Philosophy and Computer Science at uOttawa.

Taking some time off from school. Not sure if I wanna do more studies or just get started in a career.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Rals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez1212 View Post
Just finished 4.5 years at University, starting as an accountant in September.

Me likey....
Gotta take a victory lap.

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Savannah Skunk

Financial Services Manager / Fleet and Lease Manager / Sales Manager of a domestic new car dealership in Victoria B.C.

Finished my graduate degree at Laval in French immersion, worked overseas for five years in international development in sub-saharan Africa (Uganda) and passed all the foreign service exams paving my way for a career with the foreign service. Went through psychological testing, multiple interviews, etc. The public service commission had me strung along for two and have years and finally offered me a conditional offer of employment. Gotta persevere if you want to succeed at achieving a career goal!

Lost out because of two points on a French Exam - despite graduating with a Masters degree in French IMMERSION after spending six years in Quebec City. Sadly, I am one of those western Canadian marginalized English speakers who started REALLY learning to speak French in my later years, not as a child. I probably screwed up one of the le's and the la's somewhere in the problem solving essay questions; the irony is that the examiner could not speak French and I spoke better French than any of my interviewers who, at the time, worked in the Foreign Service.

At that moment, I decided I was going to work for myself.... My last T4 says I made the right choice.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:58 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

I work for a Military Language School as a Desktop Publisher/Editor, deal with pretty much every language except French, not a bad gig.

Although due to working in Gatineau I'm probably one of the very few today who doesn't have the day off

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Immings

Hello, I'm new to Ottawa and first time poster, long time lurker. I thought I'd share my story too.

I slacked off in high school and only took college courses until grade 12, then switched over to University courses to get into a field that I'm very interested in, Aerospace Engineering. I worked my ass off in Grade 12 and 13 and my marks showed that, I ended up going from 60% avg in "C" courses to a 90% Avg in "12U" courses (including AP Calc). I applied to Carleton, Windsor, Ryerson, UofT and Queens (Mech). Didn't get into Any on my first try, waited around for a year worked etc. applied to them again, none.

I decided to take a new route, Algonquin Mech. Eng Transfer (2yr) to Ottawa U. I'm starting at Algonquin in September, since I'm paying for my schooling with OSAP I'm planning on getting as many scholarships, awards and bursaries as I can and try to leave Algonquin with next to no debt. Once I'm done my undergrad I'd like to move into Aerospace after that. It definitely sucks that I basically wasted a year waiting (this was the year that A.C. Started the Transfer program too...) well I hope this route works out for the best!

Immings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

Graduated from UWaterloo with a Bachelor of Mathematics - double major with Chartered Accountancy. I obtained my Chartered Accountant designation the next year, and have worked in several industries in both the private and public sectors. Loved my time at UW.

Methot Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:44 AM
pageaus tooth

Exploration Geologist

pageaus tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

I'm a teacher at the college level. Two weeks to go before I'm back to work, then another week before I'm back in the classroom.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:12 AM
BigZKingK

Just got my degree a couple months ago at Laval U, finally passed the ExACfrom the Canadian Architect Asso. and got my stamp this summer so I’m officially a Architect.

Taking over my father’s company with my brother this fall.

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
So what are you moving on to after graduation? Grad school or a real job? I take some history courses as well, they can be pretty fascinating. Last semester I took one that covered the history of slavery in the America's from 1500 to 1888 that was pretty awesome.
I'm not really sure. If I do grad school it won't be right away anyways. My short term plan is to do some forest firefighting up north for the next couple of summers then travel for the rest of the year.
The history of slavery and colonialism is definitely one of my favorite subjects to study. Really helps make sense of a lot of the messed up stuff in our society today I find.

Quote:
Really? I'm taking History course relating to the development of European civilization from 1300's till the 1900's. I love the Medieval times and the Enlightenment eras. Magnificent. What about as the years progress in Uni? What stuff should I expect?
Nice! I'm also really into Enlightenment stuff. And if you like that you should check out some classic greek stuff too, because everything they were doing during the Enlightenment was just a revival of what the greeks were doing a couple of thousand years before.
Anyways, as you go through the years in history the program really doesn't change a ton. Basically, just more research and better papers will be expected of you, and the classes will become much more specified. So basically, you start out in macro-history and end in micro, studying specific countries/events/time periods.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Herc Man
AmandaHugincis

I work in the Leather and Latex Division of a large government org.

It actually is better than it sounds.

Herc Man is offline   Reply With Quote