HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NBCSN Promo/Ovechkin

Old
08-10-2012, 01:41 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
NBCSN Promo/Ovechkin

I am not sure where this should go, so I will just start it here.

I've seen the NBC Sports Network promos that are running during the olympic coverage. Is anyone else as intrigued as I am that the promo opens with an image of Alex Ovechkin head shot with his signature tinted visor and that he appears to be the main established NHL star shown in that piece?

No Crosby No Rangers or Flyers. Just the Kings lifting the cup, a power play goal and Ov.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:45 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

not sure what to take from it, but interesting to be sure.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Maybe the league is going to release him to play the way he used to. Trying to save interest after what looks like a lockout.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Carlzner

Oates?
Maybe.

I would get excited but it's a tv station promo.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Halpysback

Crosby is the biggest turn off from hockey there is right now.

No one outside Rangers fans and Flyers fans actually cares about the Rangers or Flyers. And they already have those fans by the balls.

Malkin's personality doesn't translate and Stamkos is about as interesting as Heatley was when he could snipe unlimited amounts from that one point in the slot.

Its all pretty cut and dry really.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

NBCSN/Versus has always loved Ovechkin in their promos. Not a big deal.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 07:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
NBC is probably 2 years too late ft. Ovi but its better late than never I suppose. I wouldn't read into much other than that the league is struggling to deal with concussions to its lead advertising chip.

The need to show him being him. On the ice, not posing in front of a curtain. If they showed him at his reckless best, I would be optimistic.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:19 PM
foundhockey

That description of the promo makes me irrationally happy. I'm not being sarcastic. I can't believe how emotionally invested I've become in the Capitals and Ovie's success.

I've never been into sports in my life, so that's probably why.

I'll try and hunt the clip down on YouTube. I'd love to see it.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's even worse when you're a sports fanatic like most of us...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
NBC is probably 2 years too late ft. Ovi but its better late than never I suppose.
NBC/Versus has been featuring Ovie for well over two years. He was in the All Star game promos last year, despite not playing in the game. He was in that commercial where the Caps and Flyers played on an icy tarmac as well. I remember him being in plenty of ads.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:55 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Yeah I've noticed it.

He's always in the promos for the season opening, either goals by him from the past or something about the upcoming season. They even used him for the NBCSN name change promotion commercials.

Its nothing really new.

The haters get loud some times, but if you look at the post about players people hate, I went through a few pages and never saw someone say Ovechkin, saw plenty of Crosby and Malkin.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:07 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
NBC/Versus has been featuring Ovie for well over two years. He was in the All Star game promos last year, despite not playing in the game. He was in that commercial where the Caps and Flyers played on an icy tarmac as well. I remember him being in plenty of ads.
Exactly, they have been ft. him in the past two years as his entertainment value had already dropped. Post being neutered by the league.

Two years was far too late. They should have been all over him 5 years ago as any caps fan with a mind for marketing knows.

But the NHL marketing guru's pushed all in on Sid instead.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:47 AM
tim

He finished 5th in goals last season, which obviously makes him the worst player in the league according to many haters hockey fans.

Dude is still a big celebrity, and will remain one as long as he's still Ovechkin, both in personality and highlight reel goals.

Doesn't hurt that he's averaged 79 games per year in his 7 NHL seasons. Compare this to Malkin (71/6), Crosby (62/7), Giroux (63/5, including AHL), Gaborik (60/12), etc. In fact, the only ones who scored more than him that's been healthier over their NHL career has been Stamkos, and Neal (just barely), both in only their 4th seasons. They feel more comfortable advertising Ovechkin because the odds that he'll miss a game they air are pretty low.

Furthermore, I think it's fair to say Ovechkin has played a far more physical game than those named, and let's not forget - 65 has yet to be reached since he did it.

The NHL and NBC like big hits, big personality, and a scoring touch. Ovechkin is still that full media-loved package.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote