HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Quebec Student Rebellion and OUA Hockey

Old
08-05-2012, 08:35 PM
WilcoxHound

vCash: 500
Quebec Student Rebellion and OUA Hockey

Quebec university students are holding a vote this week that will determine if student political groups will sanction more disruptive protests and blockading of classes in their quest to acquire a free ride (free loader) education. Does anyone have any insight into how these often violent protests which have resulted in the burning of buildings and looting of businesses will affect the orderly play of the OUA games which are scheduled in Quebec?

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Rob

I'm personally concerned because I plan on going to see UNB play McGill at the end of September. Hopefully they'll leave sporting events alone.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:58 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Quebec university students are holding a vote this week that will determine if student political groups will sanction more disruptive protests and blockading of classes in their quest to acquire a free ride (free loader) education. Does anyone have any insight into how these often violent protests which have resulted in the burning of buildings and looting of businesses will affect the orderly play of the OUA games which are scheduled in Quebec?
If these protests keep up and say get worse i could see it really impacting sports it would not shock me if they move some games to Eastern Ontario.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

This is an interesting problem - one of those 'this hasn't happened before' issues.

My view - you can protest classes and other events, but for the Hockey athletes - failure to appear leads to a loss in financial aid and a forfeiture of games(if too many fail to show). Now if this was a 'real' union, who had voted to strike, you would not cross the line, but as this is a 'soft' use of the word I think the players will appear and games will be played - at least for the first half. Also, not many students even follow Hockey at the three schools. I'd be more worried for Football games.

What becomes tricky is players who have no marks at Christmas because classes have been disrupted so much that they have been cancelled or impaired. This leads to a decision on athletic eligibility by the CIS.

Queen's and RMC may advance to the second round this year if the three Quebec schools are DQ'ed

I am certainly not a supporter of this effort - the free ride is over, especially for a province that needs a $7B transfer payment to break even - it's now time for students' to chip in.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

To have a university hockey team you need a functioning university.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:35 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
This is an interesting problem - one of those 'this hasn't happened before' issues.

My view - you can protest classes and other events, but for the Hockey athletes - failure to appear leads to a loss in financial aid and a forfeiture of games(if too many fail to show). Now if this was a 'real' union, who had voted to strike, you would not cross the line, but as this is a 'soft' use of the word I think the players will appear and games will be played - at least for the first half. Also, not many students even follow Hockey at the three schools. I'd be more worried for Football games.

What becomes tricky is players who have no marks at Christmas because classes have been disrupted so much that they have been cancelled or impaired. This leads to a decision on athletic eligibility by the CIS.

Queen's and RMC may advance to the second round this year if the three Quebec schools are DQ'ed

I am certainly not a supporter of this effort - the free ride is over, especially for a province that needs a $7B transfer payment to break even - it's now time for students' to chip in.
It will be interesting to see if this does spread to University Of Ottawa it is a french school more or less.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote