HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is what happens when you're stupid enough to listen to hype. (Parise-Pouliot)

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2005, 06:49 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Reddox = 6th best point scorer in the OHL. Slightly behind Robbie Schremp.

And again, size is wayyy over-rated. 2 inches is the size of a mini carrot and and 3 inches in the size of half a pop can. Do you think that insignifican't amount of inches will give the less talented Wheeler an inside edge on the 3 inch shoter Schremp? Schremp is still a boy and will definitely gain 15-20lbs. Jeremy Roenick came into the league 185lbs....now he's one of the league's top powerforwards. Again....even the most insignificant amount of inches are over-rated when it comes to the people's perceptions.

Old
01-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

I won't write off Reddox's chances of becoming an nhl'er but he's pretty small for a guy who scores all of his goals from the blue paint. If he can have a lot of success doing that at the nhl level I'll be very impressed.

Old
01-17-2005, 08:05 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I won't write off Reddox's chances of becoming an nhl'er but he's pretty small for a guy who scores all of his goals from the blue paint. If he can have a lot of success doing that at the nhl level I'll be very impressed.

Again, Comrie is making a career for himself scoring those kinds of goals. If Liam can take his game up another notch he could be a fairly similar player. Hopefully without the attitude though.

Draft McDavid. Hire McLellan/Babcock
Old
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Back to the original post, the Ottawa writer made an emotional argument for a local-based prospect. Thankfully, Ottawa Senators have one of the best scouting staff in the NHL and recognized the skill and potential of Marian Hossa. It was plain for anyone who saw Hossa in the WHL and in his stellar play in the Memorial Cup ... up to his injury.

One viewing is all it took to see Hossa was a very, very special player. Add in the character for a skilled European player to come over and play his draft year in the WHL. Skill and character in one formidable package.

This offers a good reminder that professional media is not infallible and often guilty themselves in rushing to judgement. In a similar vein, much has been made about McGuire 'affections' for Parise. We'll know in the near future if his judgement is sound or not. However one point of distinction between McGuire and the Ottawa scribe is a resume which includes pro hockey management and scouting experience. Time will tell if his strong convictions were warranted or not.

Old
01-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garner
It is early, but I believe taking Wheeler with the #5 pick will go down as one of the worst draft selections of all time.
Well, let's face it, Wheeler is no Jason Bonsignore, after all.

Old
01-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Lowetide

Wheeler is a really interesting pick. I admit it was an extreme reach at 5, but the scouting reports say he has good speed and some postives (wrist shot, puck skills) and size at C is extremely hard to come by.

The Phoenix franchise looks like the guys running it are trying to lose, but maybe they're crazy like a, like a, coyote.

I am so sorry.

Old
01-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Boilers*

Coyote Ugly.

I'm much sorrier

Old
01-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide
Wheeler is a really interesting pick. I admit it was an extreme reach at 5, but the scouting reports say he has good speed and some postives (wrist shot, puck skills) and size at C is extremely hard to come by.

The Phoenix franchise looks like the guys running it are trying to lose, but maybe they're crazy like a, like a, coyote.

I am so sorry.
lol. As for the Wheeler pick. It was very ballsy, which often doesn't work in the NHL draft, but we'll see. He's a project, and should be treated as such. I think he needs to be given his 4 years in college before people start calling him a bad pick. Plus's, he's big, has good speed, and knows how to score... Minus's, he didn't play in the CHL, still needs to add weight to his frame... I'll take him over Niinimakki personally, but I'd certainly keep Schremp over him, but that still doesn't prove it to be a bad pick. He could easily go onto become a far superior player than Schremp. Way to early to know for sure though.

Old
01-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Again, Comrie is making a career for himself scoring those kinds of goals. If Liam can take his game up another notch he could be a fairly similar player. Hopefully without the attitude though.
Liam's goals are all available at http://www.petesvideos.com/ and he's mostly taking out the garbage. Comrie's goals weren't that one-dimensional.

Closed Thread