HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Griffin Reinhart Russia/Canada

Old
08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Konk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Strome's slot pass to Monahan for the goal was the type of play you don't see young players make very often.
NYI 1st round pick, 2013. Bank it.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I can see him getting a real shot at making the team this year as the #2 center. Probably playing between Bailey and Okposo. If that's the case I could see him having a pretty successful rookie year. Both Bailey and KO looked poised for breakout years.
Unless Strome proves that he's ready to take that spot, then I hope they do the right thing and give him one more year in Juniors to refine his game and most importantly, grow up physically.

To get back to leeroggy's initial post, I have been a staunch believer that Strome should be left at the pivot. Having a dynamic one-two punch down the middle would do wonders for this team going forward. Considering the type of big, physical wingers in the system... Strome would be free to work his magic while the big boys do their jobs. With that said, I just hope the Isles put him in a position to be successful whether it's at center or on the wing.

I hope Reinhart's injury isn't serious because he could be that stalwart on the blue line that this team so desperately needs.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
To get back to leeroggy's initial post, I have been a staunch believer that Strome should be left at the pivot. Having a dynamic one-two punch down the middle would do wonders for this team going forward. Considering the type of big, physical wingers in the system... Strome would be free to work his magic while the big boys do their jobs. With that said, I just hope the Isles put him in a position to be successful whether it's at center or on the wing.
I say the Islanders let natural progression take place and give Strome a chance at different positions to see where he fits best. Sometimes players need to be moved around once they hit the pros, i.e. Zach Parise, but it's not something you can plan or pencil in this far out. If they continue to take BPA and at next year's draft and end up with a Monahan or Lindholm, the center depth situation will take care of itself even if Strome turns out to be a better winger.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
original islander

Spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
NYI 1st round pick, 2013. Bank it.
I haven't seen him play. How does he compare to Mackinnon?

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Top Corner

Strome is not big or fast enough to be a good center

I hope I'm wrong. but I can't see him being anything
But 3 rd line

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:53 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post

But 3 rd line
So his weaknesses are similar to Tavares when he was that age?

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:

But 3 rd line
Ever notice how players who rely on their hockey sense polarize observers as young players?

If Strome isn't fast or big enough to play center, neither is Brad Richards. I'm not saying Strome will be that good, but it's a matter of development and performance - not merely speed and size.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

But 3 rd line
Tavares isn't that fast. Gretzky wasn't that fast. Papineau WAS pretty damned fast! Let's sign him. Make him a center!

Sorry, the brain is what makes a center. Not the build or velocity. The brain. The rest just augments the performance.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Ever notice how players who rely on their hockey sense polarize observers as young players?

If Strome isn't fast or big enough to play center, neither is Brad Richards. I'm not saying Strome will be that good, but it's a matter of development and performance - not merely speed and size.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Tavares isn't that fast. Gretzky wasn't that fast. Papineau WAS pretty damned fast! Let's sign him. Make him a center!

Sorry, the brain is what makes a center. Not the build or velocity. The brain. The rest just augments the performance.
I definitely agree with both of you. He may not have the size and speed as of today, but both are things that can be improved upon. The kid has the vision and hockey IQ to be an offensive force. We've seen the evolution of Tavares who isn't blessed with great size or wheels, but he has sublime hockey sense and vision. He thinks the game at a completely different level than the average player and that's what makes him so special.

I hope the same applies to Strome as his body starts to catch up to his mind. It's unfair to him now since he's still just a 19 year old kid to label him too small and slow to be a center in the NHL. I'd hold off judgement until he's matured a bit and makes the NHL on a full-time basis. I'm sure the plan is to keep him at center, but the Isles need his talent on the ice regardless of position when his time comes.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

This. Speed is probably the least important skill with a center. Size in terms of height is overrated in all players.

It is definitely all about the brain for centers and dmen. Jason Allison was the slowest 1st line player I've ever seen in my life. He was a point machine before he got hurt, and disappeared. Speed is more important for wingers.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
From the little that I've seen from him, the kid is going to be a stud. MacKinnon brings high octane offense unparalleled in his draft class (so far), but Monahan is that big center teams adore. Seems more like a playmaker to me, but he was logging a ton of minutes for Ottawa as a 16 year old. I'd like to say he was their top line center, but I can't be sure of that from very limited viewings on tv.

As time goes by, I'm sure there will be a lot more information on him. You may want to hit up the prospects board. I would think Brock could give a pretty good scouting report on him. Paging Brock.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
original islander

Quote:
From the little that I've seen from him, the kid is going to be a stud. MacKinnon brings high octane offense unparalleled in his draft class (so far), but Monahan is that big center teams adore. Seems more like a playmaker to me, but he was logging a ton of minutes for Ottawa as a 16 year old. I'd like to say he was their top line center, but I can't be sure of that from very limited viewings on tv.

As time goes by, I'm sure there will be a lot more information on him. You may want to hit up the prospects board. I would think Brock could give a pretty good scouting report on him. Paging Brock.
Thank you for the help.

Old
08-14-2012, 01:16 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

very good point. Evaluating players based on skill/speed too often misses the point. There's something to be said for what goes on in a player's head and subsequently, the results on the ice. The zillion dollar question is in predicting a players adaptability to the NHL game, projecting that to the NHL. That's where you get the Robert Nilsson/Rob Schremp vs. Ryan Getzlaf/Corey Perry.

players with NHL size/strength or NHL speed have one LESS thing to overcome, making the projection a little easier (see: matt duchene)

players who lack speed/strength/size, like John Tavares, they have to make the most adjustments to the NHL game. Adjustments take time and are unpredictable.

Tavares has so much hockey sense, it was less of a risk at draft day. (Though, as we recall, there were a lot of doubters at the draft, including myself who questioned his ability to adjust and dominate at the NHL level. Yes, I was much more comfortable after the first week of seeing him play - and blown away since then)

Strome is an interesting case. His best attribute is his vision. He seems to have a great work ethic and desire to improve. His size, skating, shot is "average" at best. He does NOT HAVE the high-end skill & hockey sense to make him a sure-fire top six NHL player, this he'll still have to prove.

I'd like to see him go back to junior and have a stellar year. One where he emerges as a top five scorer in the league, leads his team to success, as he gets bigger/faster/stronger as well.

He's still not an NHLer from what I see.

It's not a knock on him as a player or prospect. He just needs time.

Some do. (Nino Niederreiter, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Johansen) Some don't. (Jeff Skinner, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Game recap.

Quote:
Sean Monahan, the Ottawa 67's centre who was the youngest player in Canada's lineup, showed his savvy in the offensive zone and picked up one goal while playing on a line with his fellow Mississauguan, New York Islanders first-rounder Ryan Strome. (TSN's Mike Johnston at one point referred to Monahan being a member of the OHL's Oshawa Generals, but that's an excusable Freudian slip since the pivot looked Tavares-like at times.)

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
very good point. Evaluating players based on skill/speed too often misses the point. There's something to be said for what goes on in a player's head and subsequently, the results on the ice. The zillion dollar question is in predicting a players adaptability to the NHL game, projecting that to the NHL. That's where you get the Robert Nilsson/Rob Schremp vs. Ryan Getzlaf/Corey Perry.

players with NHL size/strength or NHL speed have one LESS thing to overcome, making the projection a little easier (see: matt duchene)

players who lack speed/strength/size, like John Tavares, they have to make the most adjustments to the NHL game. Adjustments take time and are unpredictable.

Tavares has so much hockey sense, it was less of a risk at draft day. (Though, as we recall, there were a lot of doubters at the draft, including myself who questioned his ability to adjust and dominate at the NHL level. Yes, I was much more comfortable after the first week of seeing him play - and blown away since then)

Strome is an interesting case. His best attribute is his vision. He seems to have a great work ethic and desire to improve. His size, skating, shot is "average" at best. He does NOT HAVE the high-end skill & hockey sense to make him a sure-fire top six NHL player, this he'll still have to prove.

I'd like to see him go back to junior and have a stellar year. One where he emerges as a top five scorer in the league, leads his team to success, as he gets bigger/faster/stronger as well.

He's still not an NHLer from what I see.

It's not a knock on him as a player or prospect. He just needs time.

Some do. (Nino Niederreiter, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Johansen) Some don't. (Jeff Skinner, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins)
I disagree on some points, Stromer has a great shot and while he isn't the fastest skater his ability to take sharp turns and navigate through traffic is what his going to make him successful at the NHL level.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
JKP

Quote:
He doesn't, IMO.

MacKinnon is noticeable the entire time he's on the ice. I've seen him play numerous games this past year and I'm constantly shaking my head in wonderment at the things he's doing out there, especially given his age. He's a real treat to watch.

MacKinnon should have been in this tournament (and it would have been sold out if he was, there was much controversy locally when Hockey Canada ruled him ineligible to play in it). I expect him to dazzle at the WJCs this coming xmas, and then you'll all get a chance to see how great a player this kid is.

Edit: Just to add to it, there isn't a single player I saw on the ice last night on either team that I'd take ahead of MacKinnon.

Last edited by JKP: 08-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:43 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
He doesn't, IMO.

MacKinnon is noticeable the entire time he's on the ice. I've seen him play numerous games this past year and I'm constantly shaking my head in wonderment at the things he's doing out there, especially given his age. He's a real treat to watch.

MacKinnon should have been in this tournament (and it would have been sold out if he was, there was much controversy locally when Hockey Canada ruled him ineligible to play in it). I expect him to dazzle at the WJCs this coming xmas, and then you'll all get a chance to see how great a player this kid is.

Edit: Just to add to it, there isn't a single player I saw on the ice last night on either team that I'd take ahead of MacKinnon.
Although I haven't seen Monahan play I did see MacKinnon a couple of times last year and based on those limited views I would agree with your assessment. That is the reason that I think it would be insane to trade this year's pick. MacKinnon would be a franchise changer. JT on one line and MacKinnon on a second line would drive other teams crazy.

Old
08-14-2012, 05:43 PM
JKP

Hey guys, watching warm ups. No reinhart again.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM
JKP

Good game through 2. Strome playing well, assist on Can's first goal. He's a great playmaker, making some really pretty passes.

Pelech has looked so-so. Coughed up the puck in an ugly play against the Yak-Gregs line early in the first.

Great atmosphere here. Although, in what is sure to be controversial, they ran out of draught beer!!!!

Old
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
JKP

Clutch. Strome wins the series for Canada!

Old
08-14-2012, 08:55 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Clutch. Strome wins the series for Canada!
What happened? For those of us that didn't see it.

Old
08-14-2012, 08:58 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Yea Strome!!!

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:01 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Strome's assist

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
seabass45

@JeffMarek: "Canada wins CAN/RUS challenge. Ryan Strome (NYI) with the OT winner. You've heard me gush about Strome too much already, right?"

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
JKP

Quote:
What happened? For those of us that didn't see it.
Canada won the game 4-2 so the series was tied 2 games each. Thus, they played a sudden death 20m period for the challenge cup. Strome rifled the series winner in the OT to win it for us. Place was craaaazy.

He played well. Threw a couple checks, won some key FOs. Had an assist on the first goal and then the series winner in OT. Huberdeau handed the cup to Strome first.

BTW, Reinhart was out on the ice during the celebration and was as tall in shoes as most of the Can players were on skates!