HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What can you say about the Calgary Flames

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Basilisk

vCash: 500
They need to rebuild ASAP. The next three drafts are going to be very, very good. They need to offload all of their assets this year for draft picks and start placing in the bottom three teams. Losing in the immediate term would be very, very good for the Flames....

Old
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Besides the fact the organization is persistent, no comment until they hit the ice for a few games.

I do find it idiotic that they're getting ripped for trying though. Tanking isn't the end-all, be-all for organizations in flux. In fact, tanking is embarassing and you should be ashamed for advocating it. For all we know, they could be semi-competitive next season and still find a Giroux in the middle of the first round
They don't need to "tank" to rebuild. It's blatantly obvious that the Flames aren't talented or deep enough to win anything in the near future, and their two biggest stars are on the downside of their careers.

Those stars should be dealt for quality young assets to aid in the rebuild. Otherwise, you end up like the Leafs: perennially mediocre, and left with nothing when the star retires.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
zeus3007*

The biggest problem for Calgary is that they are such an unbalanced team. Tons of decent wingers (only 1 who is legitimate top line), probably some wingers who will play center (a huge gamble), and a defense that could be best described as...odd. None of their d-men are really great at anything, they are just pretty good at most things. Even their "number 1" Bouwmeester. They may contend for the playoffs on the back of Kipper, but they have bigger holes than most teams right now (especially that one in the middle).

Old
08-06-2012, 12:40 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
They don't need to "tank" to rebuild. It's blatantly obvious that the Flames aren't talented or deep enough to win anything in the near future, and their two biggest stars are on the downside of their careers.

Those stars should be dealt for quality young assets to aid in the rebuild. Otherwise, you end up like the Leafs: perennially mediocre, and left with nothing when the star retires.
I agree with this. Iginla will have very little value at the deadline as a rental piece. If I were Feaster, I would recognize that he does not have a contending team and cash in on the assets that he actually has this summer.

They can probably get one significant young piece in return for Iginla this summer, and still field a team that can fight for an 8-10 spot in the West.

It doesnt mean they have to go full rebuild mode, but they should recognize this year for what it is-- a year to retool and regroup and try to build a competitive team for the future. The long term success of the team hinges on youngster like Baertschi and Jankowski, anyways. I'm not exactly sure why some Flames fans cling to their players as if they are crucial pieces of a potential playoff run.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
ronnyweed

If they win the division the Internet will explode

Old
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think they contend for the playoffs but ultimately they'll miss it. Oh and I agree they do need to rebuild, even it means trading one of Iggy or Kipper.

08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Calgary's top nine forward group is extremely soft, and will be easily dominated along the boards and in front of the net. Cammi, Cervenka, Hudler, Stempniak and Stajan are all soft perimeter players. If one of Iginla or Glencross gets hurt they'll be in a lot of trouble. I see them in the exact same spot as the last few years. 9th or 10th in the West.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:09 PM
thrillhouse99

I wish they would tank for a few years so they could actually get some decent players like Edmonton did. I feel like this team is destined to finish between 8-11 in the west until the end of time.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Oates2Neely

10th in the WEST. Mid round draft pick again... Wash, rinse, repeat...

I also think that the longer Feaster waits to trade Iginla, the more value he loses. He won't get them much at the trade deadline..not roster players anyhow.. Picks/ prospects. Poor Flames fans.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The biggest problem for Calgary is that they are such an unbalanced team. Tons of decent wingers (only 1 who is legitimate top line), probably some wingers who will play center (a huge gamble), and a defense that could be best described as...odd. None of their d-men are really great at anything, they are just pretty good at most things. Even their "number 1" Bouwmeester. They may contend for the playoffs on the back of Kipper, but they have bigger holes than most teams right now (especially that one in the middle).
In what world are mike camelleri and alex tanguay not top line wingera?

i agree the flames need a centre. but thats about it at this point.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
In what world are mike camelleri and alex tanguay not top line wingera?

i agree the flames need a centre. but thats about it at this point.
There are quite a few teams where those guys would be 2nd liners

Old
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
There are quite a few teams where those guys would be 2nd liners
There are more teams they would be top line.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:37 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
There are more teams they would be top line.
Tanguay has been a top line winger in Colorado (playing with Sakic and/or Forsberg) and Calgary. He has struggled playing in other markets.

Cammalleri has been a top line winger playing beside Iginla, and for one year in LA. He hasn't rebounded from injuries and struggled a lot with his most recent team (aside from Calgary).

At best, they are tweeners who can play top line with the right chemistry. Both are certainly skilled players, but are not unquestionably first line players on most teams.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Same old, same old. They'll continue to be a mediocre team until management decides on a different plan.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Flames are making the playoffs this year, I don't care what the haters say. We are way better than the critics say.
They have no centers. How many playoff teams do you see without top 6 centers?

Old
08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
They have no centers. How many playoff teams do you see without top 6 centers?
This. Unless Cervenka proves to be a legitimate first line center (which is a long shot at best), I don't see it happening. They'll be playing with wingers as centers for crying out loud (Cammy, Hudler).

Old
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Way View Post
I guess I'll be in the minority here - I really like this team on paper. The top six looks good. Iggy should top 70+ points with help, Tanguay can improve his totals, a full season of Cammalleri, you replaced Jokinen with Cervenka and Hudler (While Jokinen was good for 60 pts, this pairing should get 90 points worst case scenario, a difference of 30+ minimum).
Expecting worst case scenario 40-50 points from a smaller player that's never played in North America might be asking a lot.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Henrik To Daniel

They will make the playoffs. Iggy is a UFA next year and if he wants to leave the Flames he's going to do it in style. I see them as the 4th seed in the west.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
This. Unless Cervenka proves to be a legitimate first line center (which is a long shot at best), I don't see it happening. They'll be playing with wingers as centers for crying out loud (Cammy, Hudler).
This right here is a great demonstration of the ignorance inherent with these kinds of threads. I have seen nobody claim Hudler will be playing center except people who do not follow the Flames and just want to play up how weak the centers are. Hudler is not playing center in Calgary. Just stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Expecting worst case scenario 40-50 points from a smaller player that's never played in North America might be asking a lot.
It's not like Cervenka is coming from some European minor league or something. He's been a PPG+ as a professional hockey player in Russia, but now that he's coming to NA he'll be lucky to hit 40-50 points as a second liner? Come on, seriously. If he got signed by Detroit I wonder if we'd be having these same kinds of predictions.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
fools russian

Considering he refuses to rebuild, I think Feaster made some decent moves. A top six with Iginla, Cammalleri, Hudler and Tanguay isn't terrible that's for sure. Bouwmeester, Wideman and Giordano also isn't too shabby for defense. On paper their depth doesn't look great, but Feaster did make an effort to improve it, and you never know who will surprise; one or two bottom 6 guys have a good year and suddenly their depth looks a lot better.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
This right here is a great demonstration of the ignorance inherent with these kinds of threads. I have seen nobody claim Hudler will be playing center except people who do not follow the Flames and just want to play up how weak the centers are. Hudler is not playing center in Calgary. Just stop.

It's not like Cervenka is coming from some European minor league or something. He's been a PPG+ as a professional hockey player in Russia, but now that he's coming to NA he'll be lucky to hit 40-50 points as a second liner? Come on, seriously. If he got signed by Detroit I wonder if we'd be having these same kinds of predictions
You mustn't venture far from HF then, its been speculated in a lot of areas, even on Calgary sports radio. I'll agree that he probably won't, but with such a weak crop of centers, its impossible to say which guys will or won't get played there.

And if Cervenka were signed by Detroit, he'd be either 3rd line, in which case people would question him getting 40 points, or he would be second line and they would slide Zetterberg back to LW, meaning everyone would expect 100 points. You make it sound like European players seemlessly transition to the NHL. There are some very good European players who simply couldn't adjust to the NHL game, and some good players who didn't adjust to the European game. Its not as easy as you make it sound.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:59 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:

You mustn't venture far from HF then, its been speculated in a lot of areas, even on Calgary sports radio. I'll agree that he probably won't, but with such a weak crop of centers, its impossible to say which guys will or won't get played there.

And if Cervenka were signed by Detroit, he'd be either 3rd line, in which case people would question him getting 40 points, or he would be second line and they would slide Zetterberg back to LW, meaning everyone would expect 100 points. You make it sound like European players seemlessly transition to the NHL. There are some very good European players who simply couldn't adjust to the NHL game, and some good players who didn't adjust to the European game. Its not as easy as you make it sound.
It's also not a foregone conclusion that he will fail like many people who crap on the Flames have already decided. What other players have done in the past has no bearing on how Cervenka will do. Frankly, nobody knows, so let's all stop pretending, shall we?

Old
08-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
...and yet the Jackets are destined to finish last again, right?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It's also not a foregone conclusion that he will fail like many people who crap on the Flames have already decided. What other players have done in the past has no bearing on how Cervenka will do. Frankly, nobody knows, so let's all stop pretending.
Pretending he'll be a top line center (like some Flames fans are) is much less likely than him being a 40 - 50 point center. In case you haven't looked at other players in that scoring range, it is in line with what an average second line center will score. I don't see anyone in here screaming that Cervenka is a guaranteed bust.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Haatley

Quote:
Pretending he'll be a top line center (like some Flames fans are) is much less likely than him being a 40 - 50 point center. In case you haven't looked at other players in that scoring range, it is in line with what an average second line center will score. I don't see anyone in here screaming that Cervenka is a guaranteed bust.
most flames fans have cammy slotted as top line centre who said cervenka is a number one?

Closed Thread