HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Northern Michigan Travel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2012, 09:32 PM
  #1
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Northern Michigan Travel

Hey Wings Fans,

Next week I am crossing the border into Michigan and will be heading in to Northern Michigan and the U.P. for some much needed vacation. My trip will go as follows:

-stop in Birch Run to let the wife do some shopping than dinner and a night in Frankenmuth. Any suggestions on restaurants and golf courses would be greatly recommended.
-next morning heading to Cadillac to play golf at the Eldorado. Would like to grab lunch there so any recommendations would be great.
-than we'll be driving up to Leelanau and will staying at the Sands Casino. Next day will be at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Any recommendations of which beaches(areas of the park) that I should check out?
-Then it's a couple days in Traverse City. Will be staying at Grand Traverse and golfing there. Any ideas for restaurants/attractions/shopping for the wife would be greatly appreciated.
-the final day we will be driving along the west coast through Charlevoix, Petoskey and would like to have a late breakfast along the way. Finally we'll be crossing the Makinaw bridge and travel up to the Sue to cross back into Canada. Any thing I should see along the way or good places to grab a bite to eat in the Sue?

This is a bit of a last minute trip so any help would be greatly appreciated.


Last edited by Kevin Malone: 08-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
  #2
MissNHL
Registered User
 
MissNHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hockeytown, Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
When you are in Traverse City, check out Downtown Traverse City. Many good restaurants there. Check out the Peninsula's. The Sand Dunes are a lot of fun as well.

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
  #3
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
When in birch run, a fairly famous restaurant is tony's of birch run.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:30 PM
  #4
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
Some food recommendations:

No idea what you're into, but for hockey trips we always ate at Antlers in the Sault, on the Michigan side. http://www.saultantlers.com/

It's uhhh, interesting! It's definitely something. Family restaurant with some quirk.

Alternatively, Karl's is pretty damn good.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Michigan.html

On the Canadian side, hit Arturo's. That place is awesome. The reviews are spot on here.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e_Ontario.html

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:57 PM
  #5
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Some food recommendations:

No idea what you're into, but for hockey trips we always ate at Antlers in the Sault, on the Michigan side. http://www.saultantlers.com/

It's uhhh, interesting! It's definitely something. Family restaurant with some quirk.

Alternatively, Karl's is pretty damn good.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Michigan.html

On the Canadian side, hit Arturo's. That place is awesome. The reviews are spot on here.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e_Ontario.html
That Antlers place looks interesting to say the least. Really like the looks of that Karls place, pretty amazing reviews. Looks like that will be the place we go. Always prefer to support the local establishments as opposed to the chains.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:59 PM
  #6
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221 View Post
When in birch run, a fairly famous restaurant is tony's of birch run.
Someone I work with mentioned this place. They said the bacon portions were insane. Basically one portion of bacon would feed 3-4 people.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:20 AM
  #7
wingnutjeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
If you have the time and you haven't done it before, you have to take the Ferry over to Mackinac Island. It gives you a chance to get lost in time.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
  #8
icKx
Subtle interference
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Intertubes
Country: United States
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Malone View Post
Someone I work with mentioned this place. They said the bacon portions were insane. Basically one portion of bacon would feed 3-4 people.
I believe the BLT is a full pound.

Food is decent enough but it's more about the portions.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
  #9
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221 View Post
When in birch run, a fairly famous restaurant is tony's of birch run.
Haven't been to Tony's in about 20 years, but I'm glad to hear the place is still around

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:59 AM
  #10
wingnutjeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I believe the BLT is a full pound.

Food is decent enough but it's more about the portions.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the Burrito looks like a couch pillow. And yes, the BLT is a full pound of bacon.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
  #11
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
If you have the time and you haven't done it before, you have to take the Ferry over to Mackinac Island. It gives you a chance to get lost in time.
This is something were looking to possibly do but not sure if we have the time. I've had some people tell me it's an absolute must do and others tell me it's too overpriced to enjoy. Will have to see what kind of time were making.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
  #12
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,219
vCash: 526
Check out the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:10 PM
  #13
TCNorthstars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
While in Traverse City.

You could try:
Tuscan Bistro for great italian. http://www.tuscanbistrotc.com/index.php

Apache Trout Grill for great fish and ribs(best in town IMHO) http://www.apachetroutgrill.com/

Sleders for buffalo burgers. http://sleders.com/

Ham Bonz for a gigantic and awesome pulled pork sandwich.

U and I lounge has good food.

Dons drive-in if you are looking for that kind of experience.

Slabtown for good burgers. http://www.slabtownburgers.com/

Moomers for the best ice cream ever(as voted by good morning America and I concurr)

Suttons Bay near the Sands casino has 45th parallel cafe that is really good. Or Boone's prime time pub.


Esch road beach is good in Sleeping Bear. Kind of pupular though. North Bar lake is another pupular one. There are tons of great hiking trails in Sleeping Bear. You can do the dune climb. Make sure you check out the scenic drive.

Shopping is poor in Traverse City. If you like baseball, the Traverse City Beach Bums have homegames all next week. They have fireworks on Fridays.

If you like drive in movies, there is one in Honor which isn't too far from TC.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:11 PM
  #14
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Check out the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie.
It's a staple, no doubt. Certainly more interesting if you're into boat stuff. There are tours on the water, too.

http://www.soolocks.com/index.phtml

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:23 PM
  #15
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
If you like beer, go to Right Brain Brewery in TC. Good people and great beer. If you like food with your beer, go to Jolly Pumpkin, which is up on the peninsula. Great beer (all sours) and great food.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
  #16
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
If you like beer, go to Right Brain Brewery in TC. Good people and great beer. If you like food with your beer, go to Jolly Pumpkin, which is up on the peninsula. Great beer (all sours) and great food.
I am definitely a beer aficionado and would enjoy hitting up a few microbreweries. Will look into both of those places.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
  #17
loojay
Registered User
 
loojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
The CDN Soo has a large Italian population so if that's what you're looking for there are plenty of restaurants in that style from Diner to Fancy. Giovanni's, Arturo's, Solo Trattoria are a few nicer places.

If you want a diner with lots of local history, Muio's is the place. Good food and inexpensive. This is where the locals go.

Soo-ites claim to have the best pizza. Mrs. B's and Aurora's are two of the better ones.

Touristy things to do?

Buskerfest is the 10, 11 & 12 of Aug.
CDN Bushplane Museum
Agawa Canyon Tour Train
Crimson Ridge Golf Course
But the real strength of the area is the surrounding area. If you hunt, fish, camp, snowmobile, etc. there are beautiful spots only minutes away.

Loplops bar is a relaxed gallery and lounge.

Of you feel like coming back in the winter, you have to go see Sproul and the Greyhounds in the new Essar Center or ski Searchmont Hill.


Last edited by loojay: 08-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.
loojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:18 AM
  #18
MissNHL
Registered User
 
MissNHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hockeytown, Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
If you like beer, go to Right Brain Brewery in TC. Good people and great beer. If you like food with your beer, go to Jolly Pumpkin, which is up on the peninsula. Great beer (all sours) and great food.
Which peninsula?

MissNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:15 AM
  #19
TCNorthstars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNHL View Post
Which peninsula?
Old Mission

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
  #20
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loojay View Post
The CDN Soo has a large Italian population so if that's what you're looking for there are plenty of restaurants in that style from Diner to Fancy. Giovanni's, Arturo's, Solo Trattoria are a few nicer places.

If you want a diner with lots of local history, Muio's is the place. Good food and inexpensive. This is where the locals go.

Soo-ites claim to have the best pizza. Mrs. B's and Aurora's are two of the better ones.

Touristy things to do?

Buskerfest is the 10, 11 & 12 of Aug.
CDN Bushplane Museum
Agawa Canyon Tour Train
Crimson Ridge Golf Course
But the real strength of the area is the surrounding area. If you hunt, fish, camp, snowmobile, etc. there are beautiful spots only minutes away.

Loplops bar is a relaxed gallery and lounge.

Of you feel like coming back in the winter, you have to go see Sproul and the Greyhounds in the new Essar Center or ski Searchmont Hill.
Thanks Loojay! I had already done the locks a few years back which I definitely recommend so we are looking to do something a bit different this time around. My wife loves her Italian food so I will definitely look into those restaurants. I really like the sound of the bushplane museum just hope I have time.

Here is a question I hope you will be able to help me with being a Sue local. We will be heading to Timmins from the Sue and last year we took 17 up to Wawa and caught 101 from there. I strongly recommend that drive to anyone, the parts around Batchawanna Bay and Lake Superior park were absolutely stunning.

Now here is the issue: My gps is telling me if I take 17 north from the Sue and take Ranger lake road east it will shave an hour off of my ride. Now I took this route about 20 years ago and I don't remember this being a paved road. From Google Earth it looks like the first part of it is paved and then it gets to blurry to tell. Do you know if this road is paved all the way to 129? I have a farley new vehicle and don't want to be caught with a 100kms of dirt road. Also which way to most people up there take?

Any help would be great!

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:49 PM
  #21
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,038
vCash: 500
Whatever you do, don't be fooled into the mystery spot west of the bridge. Doesn't sound like it was on your way, but it seems like a good idea, it is not.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
  #22
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Whatever you do, don't be fooled into the mystery spot west of the bridge. Doesn't sound like it was on your way, but it seems like a good idea, it is not.
What is the mystery spot??

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
  #23
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNHL View Post
Which peninsula?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Old Mission
Yep. It's on the west side, about halfway up there.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
  #24
loojay
Registered User
 
loojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Malone View Post
Thanks Loojay! I had already done the locks a few years back which I definitely recommend so we are looking to do something a bit different this time around. My wife loves her Italian food so I will definitely look into those restaurants. I really like the sound of the bushplane museum just hope I have time.

Here is a question I hope you will be able to help me with being a Sue local. We will be heading to Timmins from the Sue and last year we took 17 up to Wawa and caught 101 from there. I strongly recommend that drive to anyone, the parts around Batchawanna Bay and Lake Superior park were absolutely stunning.

Now here is the issue: My gps is telling me if I take 17 north from the Sue and take Ranger lake road east it will shave an hour off of my ride. Now I took this route about 20 years ago and I don't remember this being a paved road. From Google Earth it looks like the first part of it is paved and then it gets to blurry to tell. Do you know if this road is paved all the way to 129? I have a farley new vehicle and don't want to be caught with a 100kms of dirt road. Also which way to most people up there take?

Any help would be great!
AFAIK most people take the route through Wawa. I texted my dad and he replied the road is not good between Thessalon and Timmins (129).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Malone View Post
What is the mystery spot??
I think he's talking about the St. Ignace Mystery Spot. This is a tourist trap I went to as a kid. Twenty years ago it was sort of a house built on a hill. When you go inside it looks like marbles roll upwards and there was a plywood maze. Those are the only two things I remember from it. Who knows what it has now.

loojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
  #25
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loojay View Post
AFAIK most people take the route through Wawa. I texted my dad and he replied the road is not good between Thessalon and Timmins (129).



I think he's talking about the St. Ignace Mystery Spot. This is a tourist trap I went to as a kid. Twenty years ago it was sort of a house built on a hill. When you go inside it looks like marbles roll upwards and there was a plywood maze. Those are the only two things I remember from it. Who knows what it has now.
Thanks man, the last thing I want to do is be stuck on a bad road a hundred or so kilometers away from help. Looks like it will be through Wawa again(man that is one scary town).

Lol....Yes I think I remember seeing that house off of the highway after the bridge.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.