HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

How much did/will you spend on the NHL last/next season

Old
10-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
How much did/will you spend on the NHL last/next season

Inspired from the strange Dater article, I won't make a poll here but let's try to figure out with a small sample size if the NHL is actually gonna take a financial hit when it returns by figuring out if people will spend more/less on hockey. Try to only answer if you know with somewhat certainty, I've put $0 I plan to spend directly on the NHL last season, maybe it'll be $20 or $30 at most. Try stating how much you DIRECTLY spent on NHL tickets/merch last season and how much you plan or think you will spend next season assuming that 40-100% of the current season is cancelled. State some context about your situation as well.

1. So I live in the GTA, my favourite team is Colorado followed by the Leafs. I've never been to a game in Denver or Toronto because I don't like getting ripped off for Leafs tickets. Did used to live in Windsor near Detroit though and Wings tickets were cheaper.

2. Last season I bought a bunch of hockey cards but almost all of them from ebay or canadianhockeycards so I was buying them used basically and not sending $ directly to the NHL. I didn't buy NHL 13 since I'm still playing the NHL 2004 PC game with the modern mod. And I didn't buy any jerseys or other merch which I can remember. I did not subscribe to game centre relying on Cable/CBC and internet streams for hockey. I did however spend some $ on tickets to Mississauga Majors/Steelheads (OHL) games. Did buy an Avs cap but it was from some warehouse sale.

3. I also plan to spend $0 next season (and actually try this time, last season it was accidental). If I buy hockey cards then they'll be used, I probably won't buy NHL 14 unless they make significant changes to improve it and buy it used if I do buy it, I cancelled cable which was actually indirect before (more direct now that Rogers have bought the Leafs) though that decision has more to do with Rogers being a ripoff than it does with hockey. I do however have an itch to get a jersey but I'll just get a tshirt for Landeskog or someone if I can get one of those custom tshirt design shops to make one from the flea market or some mall.

^ I did/will however buy a few hockey fantasy pool/draft preview type magazine guides I always get but I'm fairly sure the NHL gets no licensing fees from those.

My family are not one of those ones who spend lots of $ buying a new jersey every season and going to multiple games and spending lots on concession stands but my guess is that if say 30% of people who might usually spend $100-300 on the NHL per season stops doing so or spend less then that alone would make a sizable dent.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
0 last season, 0 next season, 0 for forseeable seasons unless it becomes worth me getting Centre Ice.

Did buy a jersey this summer though.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:49 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
09/10 - Went to a game ($100) and bought a jersey ($100)
10/11 - Bought a jersey ($100) and NHL 11 ($60)
11/12 - Bought NHL 12 ($60) and went to a game (but I got the tickets from my friend's sister's boss)
12/13 - Bought NHL 13 ($20)

In the future I will probably continue to buy the NHL games but most likely won't buy a jersey or go to a game in a while.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:51 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
Gamecenter live last year, i'll do the same next year.

Also went to a game ($200 cause I was watching it in Van). Though I'll go again if I get the chance

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Well nothing as I live quite far away, but if I'd live there it'd probably be around 100$ a year (i.e. 1-2 games) which is similar to what I spend here (although here I can go to 7 games for that price).

And if they would have a lock-out here, then probably close to the same.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:13 PM
thedoctor
                    

Past seasons I spend 200-400 a year on tickets, maybe an average of 100 on various other Avs things like jerseys and such. I also spend a fair amount so I can watch the games on tv.

If they - mostly the owners, also the players to a smaller extent - don't suddenly start caring about the fans, I'm done. I have other sports I would rather follow than wait around for lockout 32894 in a couple years.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
I usually go to 5-6 games a year in the cheap seats, spending maybe $150-200 a year.

I will be boycotting for at least a year, possibly more if I feel like it. If this lockout goes more than a year, I'm probably done with the NHL forever.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I usually try to get tickets to all three Oilers games and one Flames game. But I only got to go to two of the games against the Oilers last season. Cost me around $160. Centre Ice is another $200.

When the NHL comes back it'll be the same. I'll still order Centre Ice and get tickets to games in Edmonton.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
This past season I went to 6 or 7 Phoenix Coyote games in great seats (120ish each), and a few Calgary Flames games in really good seats (200+ each). i bought center ice as I do every season, and I bought 2 real jerseys and 1 knock off. Spent at least 4,000 plus.

I will not being going to anymore live games, unless tickets are given to me. Bettman and the owners can go **** themselves. I will still purchase center ice though, because I am a hockey nut.

I'm going to try and go to more WHL games in the future.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
After the last lockout I stayed away for a year, not sure if I'll do the same this year. I'll obviously still follow the team but consider just streaming the games - in the past i'd normally get CI and go to all of the games in Alberta..

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:28 AM
klozge
Avs

I had Gamecenter Live last year and ESPN360 the year before. This year I won't spend any money on the NHL.

If there's a season starting before January, Avs re-sign O'Reilly and play good hockey I'll probably still buy an O'Reilly jersey next summer. I planned to buy an Stastny jersey as well but this won't happen this nor next year.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Had gamecenter last year and went to all home Flames/Avalanche games. Just got a Landeskog jersey for my birthday.

So all in all, maybe $500ish.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Drizzt1

I'm an Aussie, so tickets aren't one of my options, BUT I do only acquire jersey's etc from the official shop, and I have had Game Center Live for years.

To break my purchases over the past 18 months:-

1 X Black Varlamov Training jersey
1 X Home Stastny Jersey
1 X Away Stastny Jersey
1 X Patrick Roy Jersey
1 X limited edition Patrick Roy Mcfarlane toy
1 X Avs T-shirt (they sent wrong size, so I gave it away)
1 X Game Center Live

given to me as a gift
1 X Adam Deadmarsh signed puck
1 X (Colorado) Kevin Shattenkirk puck

I know, I know, I'm tragic. I do what I can, without having the ability to buy tickets.

I also asked a mate to buy me a Giguere jersey as he was travelling to The U.S. but the fool got me a Kopitar one ! DOH !

This coming season, I've already cancelled auto renewal of center ice, and I won't be investing in anything Avs.

I have already acquired a season ticket to my next love, The Mighty Sea Eagles in Rugby League.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

I've been a season ticket holder for years, and have had Center Ice for years as well. I didn't renew my season tickets, and will never again be a season ticket holder. The math on that is approx $100 x 2 seats x 41 games.

As for Center Ice, we'll see. Right now I simply don't care. I'm not one of those people who is shaking my fist at the NHL owners, saying they'll never get my money back. That said, this is the very first time in 3 decades that I'm completely apathetic about NHL hockey. I just don't care. I hope that changes.

Perhaps I'll go to the odd Avs game because one of my kids wants that for her birthday or something. More than that? Not sure.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
last year was $200 for Gamecenter, and around fifty bucks each for two Avs games when they came to Columbus. Not sure what I'm going to do going forward -- I really want to just say **** off to both parties and let them never again get a dime from me, but I doubt that will happen

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Man a lot of you guys are spending way too much $ on game centre. Do this, upgrade your internet if you haven't already to something at least 7 mbps with the $ you save after cancelling game centre.

Then either pay $99/yr to hockeystreams which is fairly good quality and reliable (it's sorta grey market) or use free streams which are available quite easily now in decent-good quality since it's not 2005 anymore and complement it with torrents by trying to get registered on nhltorrents (they open their registration once in a while so check frequently).

From what I gather, the NHL is gonna have at least a 10% if not 20-30% drop in revenues next season unless they come up with some new attractive gimmick.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
tucker3434

Last year was gamecenter, a couple jerseys, and flew out to co to see three games. Probably spent $500 total on tickets. I'd do the same again, if they'll let me.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
Does it really cost 100 dollars to go to an Avs game?

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:02 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Meh, lockout schmockout. I will be back. Love my Avs too much.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Just curious, if the season doesn't start on time but there is an 82 game season, are you still hurt?

They got it done "in time" if that happens, although the season premiere went by.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Man a lot of you guys are spending way too much $ on game centre. Do this, upgrade your internet if you haven't already to something at least 7 mbps with the $ you save after cancelling game centre.

Then either pay $99/yr to hockeystreams which is fairly good quality and reliable (it's sorta grey market) or use free streams which are available quite easily now in decent-good quality since it's not 2005 anymore and complement it with torrents by trying to get registered on nhltorrents (they open their registration once in a while so check frequently).

From what I gather, the NHL is gonna have at least a 10% if not 20-30% drop in revenues next season unless they come up with some new attractive gimmick.
GameCenter is so versatile that I'll gladly pay the extra dough. You can watch any game with just a click, you can fast-forward and rewind, and after 48 hours they drop the commercials from their broadcast. It's one of the few things that the NHL has done really well marketing their product

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Just curious, if the season doesn't start on time but there is an 82 game season, are you still hurt?

They got it done "in time" if that happens, although the season premiere went by.
Hell yes I'm still hurt.

It would be like getting stood up for a date, but the girl comes around a week later and says we can go out next Friday. She's hot, so I might say "yes", but I'm still angered that she blew me off in the first place. The NHL and the NHLPA stood me up.

Besides, we could lose our beloved ASG!

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:52 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Hell yes I'm still hurt.

It would be like getting stood up for a date, but the girl comes around a week later and says we can go out next Friday. She's hot, so I might say "yes", but I'm still angered that she blew me off in the first place. The NHL and the NHLPA stood me up.

Besides, we could lose our beloved ASG!
hahahahaha well done

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

0 last season, 0 next season, 0 for forseeable seasons.

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I went to six games, but half of them were free tickets from my inside source.

I do want to buy a jersey, but don't know which player I want. Either Varlamov, McGinn, EJ, or Landeskog. What I really want is the burgundy 3rd jersey, but I doubt they make them anymorez.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote