HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread - Part dreiundzwanzig: Boring Summer edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Giroux really stepped it up after Richards left.
I have way more hate for Giroux than Richards. Has nothing to do with him being a great player killing us and more to do with that he's just a cocky ***** that needs the rest of his teeth knocked out.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Richards was consumed by an adamant and relentless sense of self-righteousness that left you feeling that he really had no say in whether he was going to act like a dooche or not - it appeared preordained that he would indeed act like a dooche. you can't blame a man his fate.

what makes Giroux so much more loathsome is the sense that he has of his own violation chosen doochebaggery.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:06 AM
JTG

I don't mind Giroux. I don't like him because he kills us, but I think he's a great hockey player. As for Mike Richards, I always thought he was overrated, and he whined about Crosby's whining.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I don't mind Giroux. I don't like him because he kills us, but I think he's a great hockey player. As for Mike Richards, I always thought he was overrated, and he whined about Crosby's whining.
Replace "Crosby's whining" with "everything" to make that statement a bit more accurate.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
aSockalypse

Quote:
Didn't Giroux whine about something Crosby in the playoffs this year? I forget exactly what it was but I remember it was extremely Flyers-esque of him to say. I was beginning to not really mind him until those comments were made.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacco12 View Post
Didn't Giroux whine about something Crosby in the playoffs this year? I forget exactly what it was but I remember it was extremely Flyers-esque of him to say. I was beginning to not really mind him until those comments were made.
Yep. He was whining about Crosby losing every face off so that he could hack at Giroux's hands.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Yep. He was whining about Crosby losing every face off so that he could hack at Giroux's hands.
There must be some sort of bet between the fans and players who can cry about Crosby the most.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacco12 View Post
Ya he said he needed surgery on his hand at the result of a few Crosby slashes. Like if he and his teammates are clean, he didn't mention anything of him concussing Bergeron 2 years ago on a dirty hit in the playoffs though.....

Old
08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Richards was consumed by an adamant and relentless sense of self-righteousness that left you feeling that he really had no say in whether he was going to act like a dooche or not - it appeared preordained that he would indeed act like a dooche. you can't blame a man his fate.

what makes Giroux so much more loathsome is the sense that he has of his own violation chosen doochebaggery.
With me, it wasn't just Richards. It's that Richards and Carter are a package deal, the Bill and Ted of the NHL, and the two of them together are absolutely unbearable. Apparently John Stevens is their Rufus.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:13 PM
ds246pit

On a different topic, if the NHL lockout occurs who is able to be sent down to the AHL that would likely have been up in Pittsburgh? What would Wilks-Barre's lineup look like?

Would the following will be in the A:

Beau Bennett
Simon Despres
Brian Strait
Eric Tangradi (is he still waiver eligible?)
Brandon Sutter (he has 3 years NHL so he might need to clear)

Old
08-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds246pit View Post
On a different topic, if the NHL lockout occurs who is able to be sent down to the AHL that would likely have been up in Pittsburgh? What would Wilks-Barre's lineup look like?

Beau Bennett
Simon Despres
Brian Strait
from that list, only Bennett and Despres.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
bigd

Quote:

Beau Bennett
Simon Despres
Brian Strait
It's hard to say right now. When they institute the lock out the owners will set the terms. Every time is different.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Ya he said he needed surgery on his hand at the result of a few Crosby slashes.
He said that "Crosby slashed at my wrists in every faceoff". I just re-watched the series and funny enough didnt see a single slash from Crosby to Giroux. He was just fishing for sympathy and style points from Crosby hating Flyers fans and knew that Crosby is the perfect scapegoat for their loss to NJD. Its absurd thought that there wouldnt be any video evidence if Crosby slashed him so hard he broke his wrists. That was the most notable series of all this year. He is a great player though, that i can not deny.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Honour Over Glory

I was watching the Staal highlights from the playoffs against the Flyers and noticed that Tangradi kept up with Staal with his speed and it wasn't even him busting his hump to catch up, that his stride really has gotten better.

If it's true that he's lost some weight and is working on his first stride this summer...I don't care about any UFA's joining the Pens this summer, I'm ok with who the team has. I think it's time the Pens gave some of the guys they have in the system, a shot.

So tired of the one offs that join and then leave and then have to wait to see which old fart or reclamation project is next on Shero's list.

Also, I still hate Craig Adams (as a player).

Old
08-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
He said that "Crosby slashed at my wrists in every faceoff". I just re-watched the series and funny enough didnt see a single slash from Crosby to Giroux. He was just fishing for sympathy and style points from Crosby hating Flyers fans and knew that Crosby is the perfect scapegoat for their loss to NJD. Its absurd thought that there wouldnt be any video evidence if Crosby slashed him so hard he broke his wrists. That was the most notable series of all this year. He is a great player though, that i can not deny.
It was that series as well that Crosby also said some stuff too that was finally awesome I think, he talked more about not liking them and he also pushed someone's glove away too didn't he?

That series is a blur for me at this point, lol.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

Beau Bennett
Simon Despres
Brian Strait
The lockout is expected to last maybe a month or two isn't it? Which might be good for guys like Tangradi, Strait, Bortuzzo and Despres, since they all played in the NHL last year at some point it should give them a head start at getting their game on track when the season starts, if it starts.

I honestly don't see the league having much of a delay, I think they will get it done and at most, the league will have to scrap maybe 2 weeks of the start of the season.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:43 PM
JTG

Tangradi just needs to quit giving a ****. He needs to go out and be the player he wants to be, not who everyone wants him to be.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Tangradi just needs to quit giving a ****. He needs to go out and be the player he wants to be, not who everyone wants him to be.
agreed. I don't want him to force himself into Malone 2.0. I want him to play how he's comfortable playing.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:50 PM
JTG

I have got the vibe that the coaching staff is just like the fanbase. Everyone is real quick to tell the guy how to play just because he's huge, rather than letting him go out and be himself. So what if he's like James Neal. I mean, Neal uses his body effectively, but he really doesn't run guys through the boards like a Dustin Brown. If he's going to be that...so be it. I do know he has pretty good vision for a guy his size, and I think he could be a benefit to this team.

He needs to be given a legitimate shot with legitimate linemates and regular minutes. Not spot mins on the 4th line with a bunch of muckers.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
mpp9

He sure as hell better be given a shot to start the season.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Honour Over Glory

I'm not disillusioned into thinking Tangradi is going to be the next Malone or Stevens or Tocchet or some other ex Penguin.

Tangradi has gotten better with his skating and seems to have a pretty good set of hands and is getting better with his awareness at the NHL level, going back to last season's playoffs playing alongside Staal.

He'll be whatever player he will be, but the problem is, Bylsma wants him to be a big grinder on the 4th line...which really sucks for him.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

I'm a Tangradi fan. I want to see him get a shot on the top 2 lines with the Pens. I think he has all the tools to be an effective NHLer.

I think if the Big Dog is going to make "that" transition to the NHL of being an effective player, he needs to play on one of the top 2 lines and not the bottom 2 (just different style of play/roles). That said, the element that Tangradi needs to add more of to his game is just being more aggressive. I don't know if it's nerves when he's at the NHL level or what but the games I saw him play in WBS during the playoffs, he was uber aggressive and was a beast on the boards, down low, and in front of the net.

Eric just needs to say **** it and play his game.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:20 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

That could be a problem though for Tangradi. Yes he can say "**** it" and play his game. But what if "his game" is a redundancy on this team? What if its "his game" that is holding him back?

The much better option for Tangradi is to literally say "Dan...what role does the team need me to be?" and then go out there and give that 110% and let the chips fall where they may.

If I was about to crack the 4th line...I'd say "You tell me to do whatever". I'm typically a quick shot sniper from the low slot guy...but if they said "we need a **** stirrer"...I'd become a freaking wrecking ball out there just to be in the line up.

He needs to worry much more about cracking the lineup and performing at a level that is gonna force DB to keep him there. Then after hard work and proving his worth, and maybe with injuries, then he can move up and hopefully seize his opportunity.

Top 6 is a lofty freakin goal for Tangradi and he's setting himself up for failure if he goes in with a "Top 6 or Bust" mentality.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
That could be a problem though for Tangradi. Yes he can say "**** it" and play his game. But what if "his game" is a redundancy on this team? What if its "his game" that is holding him back?

The much better option for Tangradi is to literally say "Dan...what role does the team need me to be?" and then go out there and give that 110% and let the chips fall where they may.

If I was about to crack the 4th line...I'd say "You tell me to do whatever". I'm typically a quick shot sniper from the low slot guy...but if they said "we need a **** stirrer"...I'd become a freaking wrecking ball out there just to be in the line up.

He needs to worry much more about cracking the lineup and performing at a level that is gonna force DB to keep him there. Then after hard work and proving his worth, and maybe with injuries, then he can move up and hopefully seize his opportunity.

Top 6 is a lofty freakin goal for Tangradi and he's setting himself up for failure if he goes in with a "Top 6 or Bust" mentality.
I think he was trying to be what Bylsma wanted him to be last year. It's just not his game. He was very obviously overthinking every play he made most of the year. He had occasional shifts where he would look strong on his skates and smart with the puck and to me the biggest difference I saw was that he looked comfortable. Since he got here the team has been trying to mold him into a Ryan Malone clone which is nothing like he was before he got here. He was a skill player first and foremost. He just happens to be big. Neal is similar in that regard. He's got some size but he really doesn't go out of his way to play like a big guy.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
mpp9

Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

I think Tangradi sticks. A lotta people look real dumb comparing his skillset to Craig Adams. We find Sid's RW. Kennedy becomes expendable as hes not a fit with Sid or Geno and Dupuis is perfect for 3rd line RW.

Closed Thread