HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread - Part dreiundzwanzig: Boring Summer edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
...and hitting.

If they do the rest of what Engelland's been doing much better than how Engelland's been doing it, they'll basically be top 4 guys.
Precisely my point. They both bring more well rounded skillsets. They are better hockey players.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:53 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I also would not be surprised AT ALL if Despres is the D prospect of ours who is the one that gets traded for a forward. I'd rather lose him than Harrington, Dumoulin, Morrow or Pouliot.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is moved. One would have to imagine his play last year caught the eye of several GMs.

But it'd have to be the right deal. A longterm linemate for Sidney Crosby.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Precisely my point. They both bring more well rounded skillsets. They are better hockey players.
Yeah, but is it better to have a guy that's really good at one thing, or a guy that's ok at a bunch of stuff, but doesn't stand out much in any particular area? Especially when that area is something your defense is lacking.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Yeah, but is it better to have a guy that's really good at one thing, or a guy that's ok at a bunch of stuff, but doesn't stand out much in any particular area? Especially when that area is something your defense is lacking.
Robert Bortuzzo brings physicality. It's not like you'd be replacing Engelland with MAB or something. He's just not as physical and he doesn't fight as much.

I think it's Engo's position to lose, but I won't be surprised if he's sitting in the press box when the games start to matter.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

What has Bortuzzo done at the NHL level besides be knocked unconscious that allows for any type of solid projection? A lot of people bring physicality in the AHL.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

With Meszaros out for Philly, I believe it just became a two team race for the Atlantic. Though you never know, especially with the Flyers.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
With Meszaros out for Philly, I believe it just became a two team race for the Atlantic. Though you never know, especially with the Flyers.
Holmgren isn't going to sit on his ass passively waiting until the deadline to make a move. I still think philly will acquire a big name dman before the season begins. Seems kind of premature to count our Philly of the Atlantic

Old
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Robert Bortuzzo brings physicality. It's not like you'd be replacing Engelland with MAB or something. He's just not as physical and he doesn't fight as much.

I think it's Engo's position to lose, but I won't be surprised if he's sitting in the press box when the games start to matter.
Bortuzzo isn't soft or anything, but he and Engelland aren't in the same league in that regard. Engelland's hitting is only part of it, he makes life miserable for people out there.

Like the Dr. Crane said, lots of guys can look physical in the AHL. I saw Ben Lovejoy doing a lot of the same stuff that endeared Bortuzzo to some people here during the AHL playoffs. I don't think that will be his game if he makes it to the NHL, and certainly not his bread and butter.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Holmgren isn't going to sit on his ass passively waiting until the deadline to make a move. I still think philly will acquire a big name dman before the season begins. Seems kind of premature to count our Philly of the Atlantic
I'm not seeing too many options for them. And if they move Couturier/Schenn for a #1 D-man, then I'm cool with it.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Bortuzzo isn't soft or anything, but he and Engelland aren't in the same league in that regard. Engelland's hitting is only part of it, he makes life miserable for people out there.

Like the Dr. Crane said, lots of guys can look physical in the AHL. I saw Ben Lovejoy doing a lot of the same stuff that endeared Bortuzzo to some people here during the AHL playoffs. I don't think that will be his game if he makes it to the NHL, and certainly not his bread and butter.
I think it will be. I'm not like, super high on Bortuzzo, but I think he brings what we're lacking on the back end: size and physical play. And he's not a complete idiot with the puck, either.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think it will be. I'm not like, super high on Bortuzzo, but I think he brings what we're lacking on the back end: size and physical play. And he's not a complete idiot with the puck, either.
I see him as more of a positional guy that uses his size to angle guys off the puck, rather than a guy that's going to be throwing a ton of hits.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I also would not be surprised AT ALL if Despres is the D prospect of ours who is the one that gets traded for a forward. I'd rather lose him than Harrington, Dumoulin, Morrow or Pouliot.
Agreed.

I'm more sold on Niskanen having a breakout season than Despres. I loved the way he looked in the Q, but his weaknesses have been really obvious at the pro level thus far.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:06 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Despres will/should start in the minors because he at least has that option. Once injuries hit or trades open things up he'll be in Pittsburgh to stay. Kinda like Whitney in 05-06, or Letang in 07-08.
Agree completely. It's proven to work. But I'm expecting the forums/websites/etc. to act the same way as the last two times this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
...and hitting.

If they do the rest of what Engelland's been doing much better than how Engelland's been doing it, they'll basically be top 4 guys.
But do you believe they can do it? I sure as hell do not.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if [Despres] is moved. One would have to imagine his play last year caught the eye of several GMs.

But it'd have to be the right deal. A longterm linemate for Sidney Crosby.
Disagree.

Despres brings serious size to the table, something that no one else on the NHL roster really has. Brian Dumoulin would have to really, really impress for me to believe that Despres is expendable.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Riptide

Quote:

If he wants to stick in the NHL he will change his game slightly. Because being a bit more physical and having a slightly nasty streak is what will keep him here longer than almost anything else.

That being said I'm not sure that's his game, but I'd be content if he's sound defensively and half as physical as Engo.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Disagree.

Despres brings serious size to the table, something that no one else on the NHL roster really has. Brian Dumoulin would have to really, really impress for me to believe that Despres is expendable.
Dumoulin is suppose to be just as ready as Despres according to the TSN guys when he was acquired. Dumoulin is 6-4, as is Bortuzzo. That said I agree that you only move Despres in the right deal.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If he wants to stick in the NHL he will change his game slightly. Because being a bit more physical and having a slightly nasty streak is what will keep him here longer than almost anything else.

That being said I'm not sure that's his game, but I'd be content if he's sound defensively and half as physical as Engo.
I don't know, there's something to be said for a huge guy that's got pretty good mobility and very good positioning. His reach alone will help him a lot.

For whatever we all may disagree on here, at least we're not touting Joe Morrow as a big hitter with little offensive upside.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Like most Pens fans, I hate the Flyers, but I kind of admire that Holmgren does go out and make changes...he does make a lot of stupid ones too, but his team is still competitive every year, can't hate on that as a hockey fan.

The only thing that sort of irks me about the Pens right now is how Bylsma treats young forwards trying to make an impact on the roster.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:40 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I honestly don't care about losing Bortuzzo - and to a lesser extent Strait - to waivers.
That's why you're not a GM.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:51 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Agree completely. It's proven to work. But I'm expecting the forums/websites/etc. to act the same way as the last two times this happened.

But do you believe they can do it? I sure as hell do not.
I think Strait & Bortuzzo both have the ability to be much better players than Engelland and I think they will prove that in camp. Engelland is sooo overated by fans on this board. I love his hitting and his fighting just as much as any fan but I just don't see a skill set that is above what Strait and Bortuzzo already have. And they have age on their side.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Like most Pens fans, I hate the Flyers, but I kind of admire that Holmgren does go out and make changes...he does make a lot of stupid ones too, but his team is still competitive every year, can't hate on that as a hockey fan.

The only thing that sort of irks me about the Pens right now is how Bylsma treats young forwards trying to make an impact on the roster.
Yes Holmgren has guts to make big moves but at the end of the day i'm not so sure we would be too happy if he was our GM and woke up one day and decided to trade one of the 2 best players in the world just because he thinks we need to change things.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
All depends which Bryzgalov shows up for them, hopefully it's the one we saw late last year

Old
08-08-2012, 07:47 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think Strait & Bortuzzo both have the ability to be much better players than Engelland and I think they will prove that in camp. Engelland is sooo overated by fans on this board. I love his hitting and his fighting just as much as any fan but I just don't see a skill set that is above what Strait and Bortuzzo already have. And they have age on their side.
This is my biggest argument about fans to think Engo is overrated. We need guys like him on defense. You can have all the skill you want... but it's not a need every time on defense. Do you think Scuderi has half the skill that Martin has? Hell no. What makes him better is his attention to detail in the defensive zone.

Engo punishes people in the d-zone. He also plays 1 on 1 very well. He joins the rush well. And the major thing we need is a guy willing to battle in front of the net to send a message. Engo does all of those things.

I'm not saying Strait or Bort aren't skilled. But we aren't in need of skill. We need simplicity in our d-zone. Hell, even Lovejoy had more skill than Engo. You know what you get with #5... and we need that in our d-zone.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:49 AM
SEALBound

If Bortuzzo could make the team along with Despres and Dumoulin...maybe not this year but next....we'd have some serious size on the blue line.

I like Strait better than Bortuzzo...but I like Bortz size. Tough choice

Old
08-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
we always overrate mediocre prospects.

engelland has at least proven hes a capable physical bottom pairing d-man in the nhl, possibly more.

i would be thrilled if one of bortuzzo or strait ending up being a legit nhl defensemen. theyve proven next to nothing at the nhl level. if one of them leaves, i wouldnt be too upset.
What is next to nothing in your eyes? Strait has looked like an NHL defender every game he's played in, including the playoffs. How is that next to nothing?

Closed Thread