[UK] Help Save the Cardiff Rink

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Malignant

vCash: 500
[UK] Help Save the Cardiff Rink

Quote:
The Ice Rink in Cardiff is under threat of being demolished in November 2005 and at the moment there appears to be no movement from the council to secure an alternative venue.

A protest march is scheduled to take place on Saturday 8th January 4pm at City Hall when the fans of both the Cardiff Devils and all other facilities out of the Wales National Ice Rink will march through the town to try and raise the profile of their plight and the lack of action being taken by Cardiff Council.

All fans are more than welcome to turn up.
Quote:
The Cardiff County Council want to destroy the Wales National Ice Rink in November 2005 to make room for retail developments. Although there have been many promises made to provide a replacement facility no details have been provided.

The Wales National Ice Rink is home to the Cardiff Devils, the first place team in the Elite Ice Hockey League this season. Over 200,000 people use the rink each year. Hockey fans can help save the rink and ensure the Devils have a home by signing a petition that will be sent to the Council.
I'm not a Cardiff Devils fan but I think it's important that every ice hockey fan in the UK takes a few minutes of their time to fill in the petition.

Old
01-04-2005, 04:40 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
I'm not a Cardiff Devils fan but I think it's important that every ice hockey fan in the UK takes a few minutes of their time to fill in the petition.
why just in the UK?

i signed the petition just a few minutes ago and i hope some others will do it too.

i simply hate it when hockey rinks are destroyed to make room for some useless buildings. it's a global problem somehow.

Old
01-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Habs13

I signed too.. I want to see hockey in the UK grow and this would be a step backwards.

Old
01-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Gwyddbwyll

What? This is ridiculous - it should be mentioned there are tons of "retail developments" already in that area. Not to mention a major department store on the pedestrianised area just closed down last month. Redevelop THAT instead of something which is succesful, unique and doesnt need redeveloping with a clone mall.

Please sign the petition people.

Edit - GB - could you ask the mods if it is possible to place a link on the main forums perhaps? Just for a day or two and get HF's support behind the petition. Since there's no NHL hockey I'm sure people wouldnt mind..

Old
01-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Malignant

Quote:
Cardiff police estimate over 800 fans turned out for Saturdays peaceful protest march, against plans to close Cardiff's Wales National Ice Rink without a guarantee from the City Council to faciltate a perminant new home.

The march was supported by fans of the Coventry Blaze ice hockey team who were in the capital as their team was playing the Thomson Cardiff Devils that evening in a top-of-the-table Elite League clash.

The quote and image was taken from the Cardiff Devils web site. It's a shame that they don't provide the actual link to the article because the search function on NHL.com is shocking. They're basically using Google for its backend so I won't be able to find it on there until Google grabs it.

Old
01-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Habs13

I'm going to post this around the other boards I post on.. you people should do the same, if you haven't already!

Old
01-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Malignant

I've posted this on three forums.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Habs13

I posted it on a few too.. got a bunch of people to sign it! Any news on this yet?

Old
01-15-2005, 05:15 AM
Malignant

Well I was told by someone who is a Belfast Giants fan (on another forum that I posted about this) that there is some good news. However, I've yet to see or hear any confirmation on this:

Quote:
Just a bit of an update here. The protest went ahead last night and the Council have delayed the destruction of the rink till 2006 when hopefully the new Cardiff Bay facility will be close to completion So a good job all round guys.

Old
01-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Habs13

Old
01-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Malignant

I still haven't been able to confirm that news. However, I did find this on the UK Elite League site.

Quote:
Prior to the meeting of Cardiff County Council on 20th January, 2005, representatives of the Save Our Rink Action Committee intend to present a petition approaching 10,000 names to council officers. The petition is in support of the campaign to ensure adequate replacement ice rink facilities are provided prior to vacating the current Wales National Ice Rink in order to facilitate the St David's Phase 2 Development in Cardiff.

Users of the WNIR, including supporters of the Thomson Cardiff Devils; junior, women and sledge hockey players; figure skaters and recreational skaters will be demonstrating outside County Hall before the Council meeting which is due to start at 4.30pm.

Due to the complex nature of the various major developments planned for Cardiff, there is every likelihood that a "temporary" replacement rink might be in use for a considerable period of time. It could even prove to be the new permanent WNIR depending on how the various developments in the City Centre, Leckwith and the Sports Village progress over the coming years.

SORAC has welcomed the Council Leader Rodney Berman's assurances that the WNIR will not be vacated until a suitable replacement facility is provided. However, concerns remain that any temporary solution may not meet the needs of all the users of the WNIR in terms of adequate facilities and in terms of accessibility, particularly for those who rely on public transport. SORAC has sought a meeting with Council officials in order to try and ascertain more details of the Council's proposals for the replacement ice rink and a response is awaited.

Old
01-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Gwyddbwyll

From what I hear the "new" Bay stadium will not be anywhere near completion in just 2 years.

Closed Thread