HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer nexus 400

Old
08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
xX Hot Fuss

vCash: 500
Bauer nexus 400

Looking to buy my first hockey stick. I know NOTHING about sticks so I hope you guys can help me out.

I can get a Bauer Nexus 400 for $59. Is that a steal or is the stick just not that good?

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:36 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Looking to buy my first hockey stick. I know NOTHING about sticks so I hope you guys can help me out.

I can get a Bauer Nexus 400 for $59. Is that a steal or is the stick just not that good?
What level of play are you currently doing, how tall are you, what position/shot do you prefer etc.?

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
xX Hot Fuss

I'm just starting stick handling lessons.

5'8"

Probably won't do men's league for a while. December at the earliest if I had to guess.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Devil Dancer

The Nexus 400 is the lowest end stick in Bauer's Nexus line of sticks. What that really means for you is that it will be heavier than the higher-end sticks. I have found the heavier, lower-end Bauer sticks to actually be more durable than the high-end sticks, but others might disagree.

When you are just starting out you want to try as many kinds of sticks as possible, so I suggest you start with something cheap. If $60 is cheap to you, then go for the Nexus 400. It's as good a place to start as any.

If you're playing with your friends, ask to borrow their sticks and mess around with them for a few minutes to get a feel for what you like. When you have a better idea of what works for you, you can upgrade to a higher-end stick.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What's your height and weight and what's your budget? I.e. is $100 going to really break the bank or is it a pretty acceptable dollar amount?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I'm just starting stick handling lessons.

5'8"

Probably won't do men's league for a while. December at the earliest if I had to guess.
You'll want to have the shaft of the stick come up to around your lips to eyes. You can cut a stick down if need be. I'd say a stick with a 5 lie or so will work. You can read articles on lie, and I'm sure there are a few around the forums. When you first start stick handling, wrap the blade of the stick with tape (You can ask an associate to do it if needed) and then play around with it. If there is an even wear on the bottom of the tape, it's a good fit for you. As for a curve, try and get a decently flat blade without any crazy bends.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote