HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 177.2: A Tribute to TaN 161

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
My buddy always says, "if you have to explain it, they'll never get it"

Good thing is the people I do fish with understand this and we all really want that time to ourselves. We usually hit the bank, go in separate directions and wish each other luck...it's a good understanding.
You might recall I gave my best man a flyrod setup as the gift for my wedding. He hasn't casted with it once yet and despite me sending him emails of introductory free classes at the Orvis store near him, he didn't go. He calls me Sunday and asks what I'm doing Saturday, as he has decided it's time for us to go fishing. He's picturing just walking into the river and me telling him "it's easy, you just move your arm back and forth from 10-2 and slowly reel it in and catch fish! Have fun!"

I realize however this will be at least 2 hours on how to clean your line, attach the tippet, tie the flies, select a fly, select a good casting position in the river/stream, let out the line, select a target, hit the target, play the fly in the current, and finally reel in. I expect after all this by about 30 minutes of actual practice he'll be bored and arm tired and ready to leave.

Total catch count prediction: 2 sucker fish.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:14 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I love to golf, and have come to be pretty decent at it, but I am anything but at peace when I'm on the course

I'm thinking if getting a .22 and trying my hand at target shooting.
.22 LR is a great starter, but you'll want bigger. Practically no power behind it. But it's dirt cheap ammo and fun to target practice with.

I got a Mossberg 500 recently for clay/trap shooting. Pump action and cheaper, so not as nice as the $1000 over/unders, but still gets the job done. And a 28" barrel is fine for trap shooting.

I suck at golf generally but just love to play too much to give it up. I only play a few times each year but wish I could play more often.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I think every person needs to find that thing...doesn't matter what it is, fishing, skating, hell even crossword puzzles... but that thing when nothing else matters in the world and time sort of stands still...it really is a great feeling
If anything, it's that thing that keeps you sane.

I don't have any children but I could assume that once one has children the value of that time jumps up dramatically.

I play on 2 hockey teams now (well 1-1/2) and my co-worker gave me good advice. He has two children, and when I wasn't sure if I should join the second team, he said "JL, you're engaged, and have only a few more years before you start having children. Enjoy your time with it while you can." So I joined.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
I won't be eating any. Sounds like they were snagging fish...when you see someone real as fast as they can they are usually using a treble hook (three prong hook that looks like a crappling hook) to snag the fish...not very sporting, but they sound like they want to eat.

I'll be sneaking along the banks of a river looking for feeding fish. Then trying to get them to eat a fly...I hear carp are difficult to get to eat a fly...I don't know. But they'll go back unharmed if I should be so fortunate.
Exactly what they were doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
if you were gonna die would you prefer drowning or a quick death.
This was pretty brutal i'd have to say, not as quick as id think either.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
You might recall I gave my best man a flyrod setup as the gift for my wedding. He hasn't casted with it once yet and despite me sending him emails of introductory free classes at the Orvis store near him, he didn't go. He calls me Sunday and asks what I'm doing Saturday, as he has decided it's time for us to go fishing. He's picturing just walking into the river and me telling him "it's easy, you just move your arm back and forth from 10-2 and slowly reel it in and catch fish! Have fun!"

I realize however this will be at least 2 hours on how to clean your line, attach the tippet, tie the flies, select a fly, select a good casting position in the river/stream, let out the line, select a target, hit the target, play the fly in the current, and finally reel in. I expect after all this by about 30 minutes of actual practice he'll be bored and arm tired and ready to leave.

Total catch count prediction: 2 sucker fish.
I wouldn't get too technical on him..
Do you know a spot with lots of pan fish? Messing with sunnies, crappie, perch maybe some small bass is a lot of fun and maybe seeing a fish any fish take his fly will trigger the excitement?

Old
08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 113
Quote:
I wouldn't get too technical on him..
Do you know a spot with lots of pan fish? Messing with sunnies, crappie, perch maybe some small bass is a lot of fun and maybe seeing a fish any fish take his fly will trigger the excitement?
Oh he'll be excited regardless of catching fish, but I've tried to go fishing with him before and just using a spin caster was a challenge but he is always talking about going fishing with me and talking about his grandpa's old flyrod gear so that's why I got him the gift. He lives over an hour away from me and has 3 boys all in sports so I never get to hang out with him any longer. My problem will be trying to get him to understand the nuance of fishing, let alone fly fishing. Maybe he's ready for it now, but I'm fearing he wants to rush the learning and go with trial and error. That's ok if so, it means I can wander off and actually do some fishing of my own.

The creek we're going to fish is the one I grew up on, so I know it well and there's a good mix of bluegill/sunfish in some slow moving stretches and rock bass/smallmouth in others and even a few black crappie if you're lucky in the deep spots. We just got socked with storms last night so the water level should come up close to normal and help get the fish feeding again too with more area and more current. High of only 76 Saturday too so it will be excellent temperature and they may bite into the late morning or even afternoon rather than shut down from the dog day heat like normal this time of year.

Plus I will get to use my dad's ultralight 2 wt. I've been itching to try.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:02 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Oh he'll be excited regardless of catching fish, but I've tried to go fishing with him before and just using a spin caster was a challenge but he is always talking about going fishing with me and talking about his grandpa's old flyrod gear so that's why I got him the gift. He lives over an hour away from me and has 3 boys all in sports so I never get to hang out with him any longer. My problem will be trying to get him to understand the nuance of fishing, let alone fly fishing. Maybe he's ready for it now, but I'm fearing he wants to rush the learning and go with trial and error. That's ok if so, it means I can wander off and actually do some fishing of my own.

The creek we're going to fish is the one I grew up on, so I know it well and there's a good mix of bluegill/sunfish in some slow moving stretches and rock bass/smallmouth in others and even a few black crappie if you're lucky in the deep spots. We just got socked with storms last night so the water level should come up close to normal and help get the fish feeding again too with more area and more current. High of only 76 Saturday too so it will be excellent temperature and they may bite into the late morning or even afternoon rather than shut down from the dog day heat like normal this time of year.

Plus I will get to use my dad's ultralight 2 wt. I've been itching to try.
Fishing on a creek you grew up on will probably a lot of fun no matter what...

I love fishing with the lightest equipment possible and small flies. Just seems like more fun.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:07 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

I ran with music today and it was a slightly slower pace than yesterday though I did run just over a mile longer...so music may do nothing.

Nothing like ending on the Game of Thrones opening though

Old
08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
CerebralGenesis

Music definitely helps my runs, but I don't think I can hve it for races so I run without it.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:12 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Music definitely helps my runs, but I don't think I can hve it for races so I run without it.
Imodium A-D helps my runs

Old
08-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

My go-to running song:

Old
08-09-2012, 09:24 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I ran with music today and it was a slightly slower pace than yesterday though I did run just over a mile longer...so music may do nothing.

Check out jog.fm and it will help you with songs for the pace you want to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Same here. Luckily for our APFT we're allowed to wear them, as it's commander's discretion, but if I went to school I wouldn't be able to.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:37 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

You pictured yourself charging with a sword in hand, didn't you?

Also you're the O&A fan right? I got "Mimi Beardsley" stuck in my head.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:39 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
You pictured yourself charging with a sword in hand, didn't you?

Also you're the O&A fan right? I got "Mimi Beardsley" stuck in my head.
Ironically enough the last about .2 miles is uphill

I've had Mimi Beardsley and Bowling for Behave stuck in my head while running before. Great songs.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:52 AM
JimEIV

Don't you hate when you have a song stuck in your head and it last for multiple days...I keep singing this song in my head for two days now...And it is always a song I'm not really crazy about that does this.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:05 AM
JimEIV

There are some really cool satellite photos from NOAA of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Ernesto in the Yucatan.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:11 AM
CerebralGenesis

thats really cool.

I want to be an astrobiologist in my next lifetime

Old
08-09-2012, 10:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Don't you hate when you have a song stuck in your head and it last for multiple days...I keep singing this song in my head for two days now...And it is always a song I'm not really crazy about that does this.
Even worse. I've had it where I had it stuck in my head, and it's the first thing in my head when I wake up. No break whatsoever.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

curiosity takes selfies too

Old
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Ironically enough the last about .2 miles is uphill

I've had Mimi Beardsley and Bowling for Behave stuck in my head while running before. Great songs.
What town do you live in? I want to call the police ahead of time to have them on the lookout for a guy jogging around in a kilt with blue face-paint on.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:11 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili FTW...

Old
08-09-2012, 12:15 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
What town do you live in? I want to call the police ahead of time to have them on the lookout for a guy jogging around in a kilt with blue face-paint on.
I dont have braveheart music but i do have The Battle from Gladiator on it.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:29 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

McKayla is not impressed...

Old
08-09-2012, 12:43 PM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

this one is better...and massive... let me just link