HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
  #1
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,340
vCash: 500
CBJ Board realignment discussion

Toronto Globe and Mail, Tuesday April 19:
If Atlanta, not Phoenix, moves to Winnipeg, Columbus could be on its way to the Eastern Conference.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1991965/

leesmith is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
  #2
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Where's Skraut and the parade route .???

joshjoshjosh is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 08:57 AM
  #3
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
It would be great.

mt-svk is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
  #4
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
I think I am missing something. I understand how the CBJ in the East would help the CBJ television package and boost ratings. However I am pretty sure Atlanta is a bigger market then Phx. Neither market really screams for hockey fans, however. It's probably harder to build hockey into the local culture there with the weather, spring baseball, etc. Not sure there are that many hockey rinks, etc in either market.

First new spin I've seen on the issue in a while and seems to explain the desire for the NHL to stay in Phx. It also gives a reasonable explanation on the alleged desire for the NHL to move Columbus or Nashville to the East.

Having said that, I like the brand of hockey in the West better. I would hate to lose that competition. Playing Buffalo, the Pens, and Philly 15 times a year (or more) does nothing for me. Or worse yet, the Rangers. I know that's not the case for the majority of the fans.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:14 AM
  #5
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: See this red line?
Posts: 2,041
vCash: 500
I don't consider Nashville an "Eastern" team since they are based in the Central time zone. If two teams are going to move to the East it should be Detroit and Columbus since they are both in the Eastern time zone.

If it comes down to only one team moving to the East, we all know the tired, old debate...

Columbus: "We're further East than Detroit!"

Detroit: "We have dibs on moving to the East because we're an Original Six team!"

Aye carumba.

Matt Foley is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:15 AM
  #6
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Atlanta has a bigger market but there are other teams in this town. Plus Thrashers has problems with owner.

East Conference is easier. So only for it. Plus we would put to the Southwest Conference to Panthers, Caps, Bolts and Canes... something "for you"

mt-svk is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
  #7
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I don't consider Nashville an "Eastern" team since they are based in the Central time zone. If two teams are going to move to the East it should be Detroit and Columbus since they are both in the Eastern time zone.

If it comes down to only one team moving to the East, we all know the tired, old debate...

Columbus: "We're further East than Detroit!"

Detroit: "We have dibs on moving to the East because we're an Original Six team!"

Aye carumba.
Preds is near Sout Wst division more than we or Wings: http://files.magorvekleci.webnode.sk...-teams_map.jpg

Plus Detroit is an icon of the West.

mt-svk is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
  #8
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,239
vCash: 500
Bettman isn't going to choose Columbus over Detroit if Detroit says they want to go to the East. Period.

That said, we should be an eastern conference team, and we always should've been one.

Of course, this whole theory is based on a team moving cities, and if it didn't happen with Phoenix, I doubt this is going to be an imminent issue.


KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
  #9
Whatthehellwasthat
I am defense
 
Whatthehellwasthat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
I think if this did happen they'd redo Divisions as well put CBJ in Division with Pens as somewhat of a rivalary already exists.
As for Detroit I don't believe they ever move I think the NHL argument that they want 2 original 6 teams in west i.e Detroit, Chicago keeps them in the west.

Whatthehellwasthat is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:27 AM
  #10
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Atlanta has a bigger market but there are other teams in this town. Plus Thrashers has problems with owner.
And Phx doesn't have a problem with the owner and there aren't other teams in town? For Pete's sake Phx doesn't even have an owner. OMG....

Let's see.... Baseball... Check... Basketball... Check... Football... Check....

What world did I walked up in?

Quote:
East Conference is easier. So only for it. Plus we would put to the Southwest Conference to Panthers, Caps, Bolts and Canes... something "for you"
I could honestly care less if the East is "easier". I don't even know what the rest of that you typed is supposed to mean. The divisions might re-aligned some if we moved over.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
  #11
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: See this red line?
Posts: 2,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Bettman isn't going to choose Columbus over Detroit if Detroit says they want to go to the East. Period.
I don't think that would be Bettman's decision to make alone but instead would come down to a Board of Governors vote - would it not?

If that's the case, it certainly could be argued that Columbus would stand a reasonable chance of getting the opportunity to switch conferences.

Matt Foley is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:31 AM
  #12
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 500
Keith- I thought I saw somewhere that the NHL didn't want to hang the Blackhawks out to dry as the only O6 team in the West. Combine that with the Wings/Blackhawks rivalry and it all may work in our favor if one team gets moved East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think I am missing something. I understand how the CBJ in the East would help the CBJ television package and boost ratings. However I am pretty sure Atlanta is a bigger market then Phx. Neither market really screams for hockey fans, however. It's probably harder to build hockey into the local culture there with the weather, spring baseball, etc. Not sure there are that many hockey rinks, etc in either market.

First new spin I've seen on the issue in a while and seems to explain the desire for the NHL to stay in Phx. It also gives a reasonable explanation on the alleged desire for the NHL to move Columbus or Nashville to the East.

Having said that, I like the brand of hockey in the West better. I would hate to lose that competition. Playing Buffalo, the Pens, and Philly 15 times a year (or more) does nothing for me. Or worse yet, the Rangers. I know that's not the case for the majority of the fans.
I started a thread on this on The Business of Hockey board. I've got the day off and am just getting up, but I'll go find the link and post it here.

edit- Found, for anyone wanting other fans' opinions: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=889254

My theory has been that one of the incentives of moving to the East for both the CBJ/ownership and the NHL is that it might bring more money in by putting more butts in seats at Nationwide.

Granted, the concern with that would be that they'll most likely be wearing opposing jerseys until the CBJ starts fielding a winner more often (I was surprised to see the number of Habs fans and the throng of Caps fans that have come for games the last couple years), but if it brings more money in and helps the overall financial picture here, I'd be for it.

CBJSprague24 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
  #13
Juneemoon
Registered User
 
Juneemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
So you sacrifice the U.S.'s 8th biggest market to save the 12th biggest market?
Gotta love that Canadian Journalism.

Juneemoon is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
  #14
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And Phx doesn't have a problem with the owner and there aren't other teams in town? For Pete's sake Phx doesn't even have an owner. OMG....

Let's see.... Baseball... Check... Basketball... Check... Football... Check....

What world did I walked up in?
I wrote why they say about Atlanta not who has bigger chance to move.


Quote:
I could honestly care less if the East is "easier". I don't even know what the rest of that you typed is supposed to mean. The divisions might re-aligned some if we moved over.
If we would play in SWD we have more points than in CD. So, see our stats against East teams. The teams as Rangers, Sabres or maybe Tampa would not play PO in the West

mt-svk is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM
  #15
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I wrote why they say about Atlanta not who has bigger chance to move.
You said Atlanta has other sports, that implied Phx didn't. Plus you brought up the owner issue. I don't even know who "they" are, but I don't think you are representing them well.

Quote:
If we would play in SWD we have more points than in CD. So, see our stats against East teams. The teams as Rangers, Sabres or maybe Tampa would not play PO in the West
What part of I don't care if the East is easier do you not understand? Those teams don't prepare as much of us as the teams in the West do either. Please play in your silly vacuum world. I want to beat the best.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
  #16
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You said Atlanta has other sports, that implied Phx didn't. Plus you brought up the owner issue. I don't even know who "they" are, but I don't think you are representing them well.
I only wrote about Atlanta because the question was Atlanta in this case.


Quote:
What part of I don't care if the East is easier do you not understand? Those teams don't prepare as much of us as the teams in the West do either. Please play in your silly vacuum world. I want to beat the best.
It is right the better would be beat the best teams. But IMO we do not go to the East minimum 5 seasons they are only construciton of canadian journalists.

mt-svk is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
  #17
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You said Atlanta has other sports, that implied Phx didn't. Plus you brought up the owner issue. I don't even know who "they" are, but I don't think you are representing them well.



What part of I don't care if the East is easier do you not understand? Those teams don't prepare as much of us as the teams in the West do either. Please play in your silly vacuum world. I want to beat the best.
I would like to be in the East for the huge boost in attendance. Teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Leafs and Habs are great draws in Columbus. Teams like the Flames, Oilers, Coyotes, Stars, Canucks don't draw flies here.

I could watch more away games, I have to get up at 5:30 AM most days. Those West Coast games are brutal. I believe a move to the east would have a major effect on TV ratings.

The Western Conference does a better job of preparing teams for the playoffs; no question in my little mind. I only have one question, "What are these playoffs?" As a Columbus fan, I'm unfamiliar with the concept.

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
  #18
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
If Atlanta moves, well just have to pray there isn't a lottery drawing for which team gets to move to the east...

FANonymous is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 10:05 AM
  #19
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I only wrote about Atlanta because the question was Atlanta in this case.
The conversation is Phx .vs. Atlanta. That is the context. When you say
Quote:
Atlanta has a bigger market
that implies you are comparing Atlanta to something else with a market.

We all know that Atlanta has poor ownership (or unstable at least because of huge losses). It's meaningless other then they might be ripe for a move. We knew that months ago. For some years.

Quote:
It is right the better would be beat the best teams. But IMO we do not go to the East minimum 5 seasons.
Who knows and who cares, but it doesn't matter for this discussion. You are throwing out an opinion without giving reasoning on how you formed that opinion (5 years minimum). The Atlanta situation could come to a head long before 5 years. Seems like a dart board approach you are using.

We haven't seen any fallout from out financial situation, however it's not unreasonable to think that we could move in less then 5 years if we continue with downward attendance and lower TV ratings.

This is not an economy that is going to promote large discretionary spending from fans in a mid-sized market on a team that is finishing in the bottom 3 in their conference. And with said market, lending standards could increase and available money decrease.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
  #20
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
I do not know what you solve. In my case i answered on Atlanta not Phoenix and the reason why it is in the problems. Do not combinate.


Last edited by mt-svk: 04-20-2011 at 10:23 AM.
mt-svk is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
  #21
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 543
I posted the other day in another thread, it should be Florida to move. They average about 3000 fans a home game and their TV rating is one of the worst in the leagues. Plus, Florida doesnt need 2 franchises.

So my opinion is to relocate 2 franchises: Phoenix back to Wennipeg and Florida to Las Vegas which seems to have some financial backing and a place to play.

Then move CBJ to the Eastern Conference. However, if Florida is ever moved, Nashville would make more sense to go East due to proximity to Atlanta & Tamp Bay.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
  #22
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
This is an interesting dilemma for sure.

I read somewhere a while back that the only thing that would save Atlanta was if they made the play-offs and sold those games out. As we all know, that did not happen.

The recent articles on Phoenix is that there is a lot of money needed to keep that team in Phoenix, and apparently no one wants to cough it up, and the NHL has now reached it's limit on trying to save that franchise and will allow it to move. Anyone notice that Phoenix did not sell out it's play-off game the other night (barely, thanks to Wings fans in attendance)?

I could try and Google it, but back in the days of XGMDM, there was talk of moving Columbus to the East, and yes, Detroit said with it's seniority, it should move. I do remember Bettman saying that Columbus would be a more natural fit in the East, and he did not want Detroit moving from the west leaving only Chicago as the only original 6 team there. Could be a big power play coming.

I would like to see the NHL move to 3 divisions, of 10 teams. I realize that this would create some new issues, but it could be worked out. This would make more natural regional rivalries possible, and cut down on travel time and costs.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. Fire is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
  #23
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I do not know what you solve. In my case i answered on Atlanta not Phoenix and the reason why it is in the problems. Do not combinate.
Because your answer is meaningless in clarifying anything. I'm struggling to figure out what the point was of your post. What were you trying to get across to us?

The local teams from other pro sports is common in large TV markets. That doesn't mean anything. Financial struggles are not limited to small or large markets. The quality of the owner has nothing to do with whether a franchise moves or not. There aren't even many markets in the US that can claim to be a traditional Hockey market.

Other then Atlanta is losing money, which we already knew and not uncommon in the NHL, you haven't defined a reason for relocation from Atlanta to Winnepeg.

On a side note, I understand we have some grammatical issues with the language barrier. Just acknowledge the confusion, clarify and move on. I displayed your grammar issue, but you just ignored it and threw more emotes at me.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 11:45 AM
  #24
squarelaces
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Multi game NYC roadtrip. 'Nuf said.

squarelaces is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 12:50 PM
  #25
umbyforpresident
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
While I like the idea, I certainly don't see it happening in the very near future. I did a mock up of what it could end up looking like with three divisions. If anybody is interested in that, just send me a personal message.

umbyforpresident is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.