HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
MacKinnon has drawn Crosby comparisons because they are from the same town. Expectations are wayyy too high for MacKinnon. He's not Crosby 2.0. More like Tyler Seguin.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Kington87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
For someone who is just getting started on the board, you seem to be catching on quite quickly. In response to the best player available peeps, I am a big fan of the BO(ffensive)PA. While Seth Jones draws Pronger comparisons, MacKinnon has drawn Crosby comparisons most of his life. This team needs a Crosby much more than a Pronger in my opinion. Although in reality they probably could use both.
I can see this line of thinking - but I really think a lot of people are underestimating the impact Jones could have on this team. We have a lot if D prospects yes, but only Murray projects as a top pairing guy. IMO Johnson, Tyutin, Wiz, Nik, and all our other prospects top out on 2nd pairing on a great team and if we could have Murray, Jones as our top pairing this team could take a huge step forward.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kington87 View Post
I can see this line of thinking - but I really think a lot of people are underestimating the impact Jones could have on this team. We have a lot if D prospects yes, but only Murray projects as a top pairing guy. IMO Johnson, Tyutin, Wiz, Nik, and all our other prospects top out on 2nd pairing on a great team and if we could have Murray, Jones as our top pairing this team could take a huge step forward.
So wheres the elite scoring going to come from? Still need to score to win and we dont have anybody that can be a consistant 30 goal guy IMO Nash was barley that the last 3 years so you're relying any of Cam, JAM, Johansen, Jenner or Chaput to be an elite scorer and at least as good as Nash if not better

Old
01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Cash for Nash

[QUOTE=CBJFan19;58231077]So wheres the elite scoring going to come from? Still need to score to win and we dont have anybody that can be a consistant 30 goal guy IMO Nash was barley that the last 3 years so you're relying any of Cam, JAM, Johansen, Jenner or Chaput to be an elite scorer and at least as good as Nash if not better[/QUOT

Yep....I guess my worst case scenario would be another lackluster season where we don't do the following:

A. Make the playoffs
B. Don't suck bad enough to be in position to land: MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Monahan, Barkov, Shinkaruk, or Lindholm.

Don't get me wrong I want to win (that is the point) and I know its a deep draft and I know we have 3 1st rounders, and I know the importance of building a "winning culture" but to miss out on an elite winger/centerman this year for half a season of hockey would suck. This is our big chance to jumpstart this thing and we need to land a premier talent at the top of the draft. Along with keeping our other 1'sts.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
MacKinnon has drawn Crosby comparisons because they are from the same town. Expectations are wayyy too high for MacKinnon. He's not Crosby 2.0. More like Tyler Seguin.
Oh, in that case I say pass.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Oh, in that case I say pass.

No doubt....Tyler Seguin wouldn't be taken in the first round of this year's draft. It's that special of a class this year.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:36 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kington87 View Post
Well you can only have one top pair, so if we have 6 #2 guys I think we will have a very solid D corps. If we draft #1 I definitely take MacKinnon (or some other forward if one passes him in the rankings). If we are lower and Jones is still available I don't know. Maybe trade down a spot or two and bolster the forwards corps a bit more.

My dream would be for the lines in a couple of years to look something like this:

2013 draft choice #2 -MacKinnon-Atkinson
2014 #1 pick- Joey- JAM or high draft choice
Foligno-Jenner-Arnisimov
Calvert-Dubinsky-Dorsett
Boll

Mix and match the D from Murray,Moore,Erixon,Johnson, Wis,Nikitin,Tyutin & Savard

To me that would be a playoff team and depending on how it jelled and how goaltending played out, a serious contender.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Replace Drouin with Barkov though. Drouin is damn good, but Barkov is AMAZING!

If this was to happen(after I win the Mega Millions) I'd actually probably look at trading the #1(Jones) for a Lindros like trade package, making sure I got 2015 #1(McDavid) pick. Not that I don't like Jones(favorite player in this draft actually) but with our defensive depth we could stockpile picks/prospects for our dynasty. I mean what kind of package could we get from Edm. or NYI for Jones?
Obiously having the top 3 picks is about as close to impossible as it comes but to play along....

In your scenario, I pick McKinnon with the #1 and then trade the #2 pick. Or if Drouin or Barkov makes the jump to clear #1 I draft them and then trade the #2 as you suggest. Point is, control our fate. Do not trade the #1 assuming the team will pick the player we have 2nd on our board.

Regardless, I don't see the CBJ with the #1 overall pick.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Well you can only have one top pair, so if we have 6 #2 guys I think we will have a very solid D corps. If we draft #1 I definitely take MacKinnon (or some other forward if one passes him in the rankings). If we are lower and Jones is still available I don't know. Maybe trade down a spot or two and bolster the forwards corps a bit more.

My dream would be for the lines in a couple of years to look something like this:

2013 draft choice #2 -MacKinnon-Atkinson
2014 #1 pick- Joey- JAM or high draft choice
Foligno-Jenner-Arnisimov
Calvert-Dubinsky-Dorsett
Boll

Mix and match the D from Murray,Moore,Erixon,Johnson, Wis,Nikitin,Tyutin & Savard

To me that would be a playoff team and depending on how it jelled and how goaltending played out, a serious contender.
no Chaput? RyJo?

Old
01-24-2013, 05:20 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Obiously having the top 3 picks is about as close to impossible as it comes but to play along....

In your scenario, I pick McKinnon with the #1 and then trade the #2 pick. Or if Drouin or Barkov makes the jump to clear #1 I draft them and then trade the #2 as you suggest. Point is, control our fate. Do not trade the #1 assuming the team will pick the player we have 2nd on our board.

Regardless, I don't see the CBJ with the #1 overall pick.
i think i would be pretty happy with a top 6 pick
any (in order) would be awesome additions

MacKinnon
Barkov
Drouin
Mohanan
Jones
Lindholm

Old
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
no Chaput? RyJo?
Joey is RyJo

Old
01-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
For someone who is just getting started on the board, you seem to be catching on quite quickly. In response to the best player available peeps, I am a big fan of the BO(ffensive)PA. While Seth Jones draws Pronger comparisons, MacKinnon has drawn Crosby comparisons most of his life. This team needs a Crosby much more than a Pronger in my opinion. Although in reality they probably could use both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
This. Nathan MacKinnon won't be a 100 point player as a rookie, and may not be at any point in his career. What he could be is a solid first line player that consistently scores at better than a point/game. He's more of a shooter than Crosby was in junior, nowhere near as good of a skater, and doesn't have the same hockey sense or swagger.

I would really love to land him, as I really think he's the best forward in this draft. With that being said, a guy like Jonathan Drouin's stock is skyrocketing, and by the end of the year, this may not be the case.

We have to be realistic - we aren't likely going to have to incredibly high picks. First off, I think we're better than a few other teams in this league, and the team's play through two games should show up more often than not. This will lead to us being farther up the standings than everyone expects us to be - I don't honestly think it's out of the realm of possibility that we finish somewhere between 10-12 in the conference. Secondly, the New York Rangers are getting better with each game. I picked that team to win the Stanley Cup after the lockout was resolved ... seriously, they have star players and depth at every position. That pick will be in the twenties, I'd almost bet on it. Third, the LA Kings aren't a 30th overall team. They have started horribly. I don't think any of us are surprised by that start, knowing what we know, but at some point, it will come to fruition that they are a better team than most in this league, and that will result in some wins.

Our greatest hope for high picks is that the Jackets pick is a top-10 pick, and the Kings pick does the same. If one of those wins us the lottery, we will be in darn good shape ... but, even so, picking three times in this year's first round could land us three potential top-6 forwards.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
CBJFan19*

am i the only one starting to warm up to liking Drouin over MacKinnon?

Old
01-24-2013, 11:35 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Probably not, but I would take MacKinnon over Drouin every day of the week and twice on Sunday

Old
01-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I try to find patterns.

And I think that, based on CBJ draft patterns since 2009, the team would pick Drouin over MacKinnon if the draft were held today, tomorrow, in June, or last October.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:36 PM
CBJFan19*

would anybody trade our own first for RoR from Colorado?

Old
01-24-2013, 11:39 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Probably not, but I would take MacKinnon over Drouin every day of the week and twice on Sunday
based on what? see i think Drouin was just a late bloomer and finally comming into his own potential

in 6 less games this year has 2 more assist and only 4 less goals so 2 point diffrence since you figure someone scored for him to get those assist, they are the same size, i think Drouin is a bit more athletic and more of a playmaker while MacKinnon is a little more of a scorer

Old
01-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
would anybody trade our own first for RoR from Colorado?
No, as I think we can land a better player with a potentially top-10 pick this year.

Quote:
based on what? see i think Drouin was just a late bloomer and finally comming into his own potential

in 6 less games this year has 2 more assist and only 4 less goals so 2 point diffrence since you figure someone scored for him to get those assist, they are the same size, i think Drouin is a bit more athletic and more of a playmaker while MacKinnon is a little more of a scorer
MacKinnon projects as a better professional player, plain and simple. It's like the Yakupov/Galchenyuk argument last year ... yes, Yakupov was/is the better player now (as Drouin may very well be in junior), but I personally believe that Galchenyuk will be a better pro than Yakupov, as MacKinnon will be than Drouin. It's a style thing.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:04 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

LA loses again(OT) and so does the NYR. With us sinking like rocks, think they can sink with us?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
LA loses again(OT) and so does the NYR. With us sinking like rocks, think they can sink with us?
I know its a joke but i can see LA dropping out if the playoffs. With green out fir the year and gagne/penner in regular season form i can see quick having to face better chances while the offense continues to struggle. Add in to that the improved west (the wild, avs, and oil for example) and we could see the kings closer to us than the top of the west.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This. Nathan MacKinnon won't be a 100 point player as a rookie, and may not be at any point in his career. What he could be is a solid first line player that consistently scores at better than a point/game. He's more of a shooter than Crosby was in junior, nowhere near as good of a skater, and doesn't have the same hockey sense or swagger.

I would really love to land him, as I really think he's the best forward in this draft. With that being said, a guy like Jonathan Drouin's stock is skyrocketing, and by the end of the year, this may not be the case.

We have to be realistic - we aren't likely going to have to incredibly high picks. First off, I think we're better than a few other teams in this league, and the team's play through two games should show up more often than not. This will lead to us being farther up the standings than everyone expects us to be - I don't honestly think it's out of the realm of possibility that we finish somewhere between 10-12 in the conference. Secondly, the New York Rangers are getting better with each game. I picked that team to win the Stanley Cup after the lockout was resolved ... seriously, they have star players and depth at every position. That pick will be in the twenties, I'd almost bet on it. Third, the LA Kings aren't a 30th overall team. They have started horribly. I don't think any of us are surprised by that start, knowing what we know, but at some point, it will come to fruition that they are a better team than most in this league, and that will result in some wins.

Our greatest hope for high picks is that the Jackets pick is a top-10 pick, and the Kings pick does the same. If one of those wins us the lottery, we will be in darn good shape ... but, even so, picking three times in this year's first round could land us three potential top-6 forwards.
Were you temporarily possessed by the spirit of (fill in your favorite pma'er)?

Upon further review you said "in the conference" Still a bit optimistic imo but better than 10-12 in the league that my caffeine deprived brain registered the first time.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

It will be interesting to see how JD handles this draft with the three firsts. With the short season and the poor starts by LA and the Rags, it's possible we could end up with three high picks, I know it's early but ya never know. Howsons comment last year that he wouldn't have taken Yakupov just shows why we suck so bad now. The thought that he would be in charge of our three picks would be a depressing thought for sure. JD's firing of Howson would be a great lead in to next year, we can only hope!

Old
01-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Stretch Factor

As much as I'd like to see LA and NYR miss the playoffs, I'm not expecting it.

I'm hopeful we'll get a top 5 pick, a top 15 pick, a top 25 pick, and a 2nd rounder in the 35 range.
With those four picks I'd like to see us come away with (in no order):
1. solid playmaking center
2. a power forward winger (6'2"/220lbs)
3. a big shutdown defender who can skate (6'4"+) .
4. another Boone Jenner type. (someone who eats thunder and craps lighting)

Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
As much as I'd like to see LA and NYR miss the playoffs, I'm not expecting it.

I'm hopeful we'll get a top 5 pick, a top 15 pick, a top 25 pick, and a 2nd rounder in the 35 range.
With those four picks I'd like to see us come away with (in no order):
1. solid playmaking center
2. a power forward winger (6'2"/220lbs)
3. a big shutdown defender who can skate (6'4"+) .
4. another Boone Jenner type. (someone who eats thunder and craps lighting)
Mine:

1- guy who can score
2- guy who can score
3- guy who can score
4- guy who can score

Old
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Kev22

It's pretty obvious that all three picks will be used for offense. The defense is pretty well stocked. My dream would be for the Jackets to get #1 overall, the Rags and Kings tank and JD somehow uses their top ten picks to trade up to the #2 spot. Jackets get #1 and #2 and draft MacKinnon and Drouin.

Closed Thread