HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Stretch Factor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
It's pretty obvious that all three picks will be used for offense. The defense is pretty well stocked. My dream would be for the Jackets to get #1 overall, the Rags and Kings tank and JD somehow uses their top ten picks to trade up to the #2 spot. Jackets get #1 and #2 and draft MacKinnon and Drouin.
Not sure it's obvious. The defense is pretty well stocked with puck movers, but we're still giving up a lot of scoring chances. Could definitely use a shut down guy.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Not sure it's obvious. The defense is pretty well stocked with puck movers, but we're still giving up a lot of scoring chances. Could definitely use a shut down guy.
Ryan Murray says hello

Old
01-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
Ryan Murray says hello
The only thing Ryan Murray is saying right now is, "ouch my shoulder hurts."

By the way, Murray is a puck mover, not a people mover.

I'm looking for a bigger Jan Hejda type.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:

ill take a puck mover over people mover all day long, the other team cant do anything without the puck

besides if we did take a defensive guy then wheres the offense comming from in the future? like i've said before we have some really solid guys but no 30 goal scorer types, id say go offense first 4 picks and hope at least 1 of thos guys is a 30 goal or more scorer

Old
01-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
ill take a puck mover over people mover all day long, the other team cant do anything without the puck

besides if we did take a defensive guy then wheres the offense comming from in the future? like i've said before we have some really solid guys but no 30 goal scorer types, id say go offense first 4 picks and hope at least 1 of thos guys is a 30 goal or more scorer
Normally, I'd agree. But, I think we need some big, mean, toughness back there. I'm thinking a guy like Zadorov (6'5"/230lbs) if he falls to us late in the first/early 2nd would be a good pick.

Or

I'd be inclined to take a guy like Jones with the first pick, assuming we think we can get some scorers with the next three.

No question we need offense too. I'd like to see us use three of the top four picks on offense.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:44 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Normally, I'd agree. But, I think we need some big, mean, toughness back there. I'm thinking a guy like Zadorov (6'5"/230lbs) if he falls to us late in the first/early 2nd would be a good pick.

Or

I'd be inclined to take a guy like Jones with the first pick, assuming we think we can get some scorers with the next three.

No question we need offense too. I'd like to see us use three of the top four picks on offense.

i think you gotta take an offensive guy first just because theres about 5 guys that look like they can be high scoring/high point games and you dont know who's going to be there later in the draft and we have such a dire need for scoring prospects/wings

Old
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
i think you gotta take an offensive guy first just because theres about 5 guys that look like they can be high scoring/high point games and you dont know who's going to be there later in the draft and we have such a dire need for scoring prospects/wings
Agreed.

But, I'm really high on Jones. He'd be tough for me to pass on.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
CBJFan19*

CBS Sports top 50

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-jones-is-no-1

say we pick 3rd, 20th, 25th, 33rd i would take Drouin, Mantha, Hartman, Thedore

Old
01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
CBS Sports top 50

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-jones-is-no-1

say we pick 3rd, 20th, 25th, 33rd i would take Drouin, Mantha, Hartman, Thedore
Is Drouin projected as a center or a wing in the NHL?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:59 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Is Drouin projected as a center or a wing in the NHL?
he could probably play either at an elite level, his stats are on par with MacKinnon but with 6 less games played. i think he's more of a C with his playmaking but they list him as a winger

Old
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
he could probably play either at an elite level, his stats are on par with MacKinnon but with 6 less games played. i think he's more of a C with his playmaking but they list him as a winger
I haven't seen many of these kids play other than Jones who I saw quite a bit in the WJC.

My general rule of thumb with high draft picks is get the best center or d-man available, unless a Nash/Kovulchuk is on the board. It just seems wingers are easier to get via trade and usually are cheaper and more plentiful as free agents. We've tried building around a star winger, it didn't work out very well. I'd be a little gun shy to try it again.

Getting the foundation set down the middle, in goal, and on the backend would be my priorities with this team.

Since it seems to me, we have a pretty good pipeline of puck moving d-men and a pretty good stable of goalie prospects- I'd focus on getting 2 centers, a shutdown d-man, and a power forward.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

Maybe this guy.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1327563

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470760

Old
01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Stretch Factor

Has Drouin had much success without MacKinnon on his line, vice versa?

Old
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:

not sure but in the 6 games Drouin missed in october, MacKinnon put up 8 Goals, 3 Assist for 11 points and his overall +/- was +9

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I like Drouin, I really do. His teammates say that his motor never stops, on or off the ice, and he's got sublime skill. But if I'm choosing between him and MacKinnon, it's Mac every time. There's a pattern every year where the guy in MacKinnon's position (i.e. Yakupov, Tavares, Hall, Stamkos to an extent) starts being dissected through and through, but there is a reason he and the others before him have been at the top of the class for so long. Drouin's stats may in fact be better, but it's all about how well their game translates to the pro level. I'm not saying Drouin is nothing special, or that his game won't translate. I'd love to take him if he's on the board at 4, MAYBE 3 (but Barkov is too impressive for me). All I'm saying is that there's always a reason why the MacKinnons, Joneses, Halls, etc. are at the top of the board from age 15-16. There's just simply no way you pass on MacKinnon at this stage of everyone's careers. He's a safe bet to be at worst a top six player, or even a role player, and a safe bet to be a special player. I don't think Drouin has the same certainties, and that's why he's rated lower.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Drouin was more impressive (and had more points) at the WJC than MacKinnon, who was stuck on the 4th line. However, MacKinnon is the type of player who is able to be a 4th liner more than Drouin (more physical, better defensively).

When Drouin and MacKinnon were finally put together on a line for Team Canada in the US game, MacKinnon did look a lot better and Canada finally showed some life.

Drouin might be more dynamic, but MacKinnon is a more well-rounded player. He's also younger (if he was born a few days later, he would be a 2014 draft pick. The same is true of Barkov).

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 01-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
BPA, BPA, BPA, and uh... BPA.
Yeah, I would always draft BPA in the first round. I may draft for a need later in the draft. The only time I would draft for need in the first round is if there are multiple players who are ranked evenly.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post

I agree.

Though, some people's version of BPA clearly differs from others. I think the Jackets are heading in the right direction as far as scouting though, and drafting more for character, grit, and determination, rather than pure skill with a dash of injury prone.

I really think we need to come away with at least two - preferably three - skilled forwards with our first four picks, which should all be in the top-50 or so. If we can do that, then I think the other pick can be spent for simply whoever the best player on the board is.

Whatever the case, this is a very good draft, and a great year to have three first round picks. So much versatility.
Yes, BPA isn't always the same for everyone. Our BPA this year should be the most skilled players who fit our system which you described. I don't want just pure skill guys.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Replace Drouin with Barkov though. Drouin is damn good, but Barkov is AMAZING!

If this was to happen(after I win the Mega Millions) I'd actually probably look at trading the #1(Jones) for a Lindros like trade package, making sure I got 2015 #1(McDavid) pick. Not that I don't like Jones(favorite player in this draft actually) but with our defensive depth we could stockpile picks/prospects for our dynasty. I mean what kind of package could we get from Edm. or NYI for Jones?
I wouldn't be against that, but I would rather draft Jones and trade one or a couple of our D prospects.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I think at this point the camps are looking at the draft and team two different ways. On one side (myslef included) seez this draft as our opportunity to land elite talent that someday give us a legitimate scoring threat and top line (we literally have not looked dangerous offensively this year) this doesnt necessarily mean that we are looking to return to the savior model but more the traditional 4 line model or in my case the Pittsburgh model. On the otherside are the people who prefer the nashville model where you build a without stars on the forward side and use your depth to cause mismatches. These philosophies require different drafting styles. The traditional/Pittsburgh model requires dominant fowards to enforce your will on the other team and necessitates high ceiling draft picks where as the depth model requires drafting alot of guys that are defensively responsible with some offensive potential. The first type of prospect is found almost entirely at the top of the draft where the second type can be found all over the 1st and subsequent rounds.
I am actually right in between. I want both. I want mostly the 2nd option, but you still need some elite offensive talent. I just don't want the type of offensive player we have drafted in the past. I want someone who is always going to play hard, etc....

I just think you need to draft BPA, because you never know what your needs will be in 1-4 years. Look at the Reds. They drafted BPA at C and 1B even though they had guys in those positions. They were able to trade those prospects for help in other areas. It is tough to trade bad players for help. So, IMO, you should always get the best player available, that fits your system, and then go from there.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 01-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
So wheres the elite scoring going to come from? Still need to score to win and we dont have anybody that can be a consistant 30 goal guy IMO Nash was barley that the last 3 years so you're relying any of Cam, JAM, Johansen, Jenner or Chaput to be an elite scorer and at least as good as Nash if not better
I agree, but you still need to go BPA. Hopefully you can get some offensive talent through other draft picks or by trading one or more D prospects.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I agree, but you still need to go BPA. Hopefully you can get some offensive talent through other draft picks or by trading one or more D prospects.
BPA is overrated when you have bad scoring in the pros and very little scoring in your prospects.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
would anybody trade our own first for RoR from Colorado?
No. I would rather have our pick this year.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
It's pretty obvious that all three picks will be used for offense. The defense is pretty well stocked. My dream would be for the Jackets to get #1 overall, the Rags and Kings tank and JD somehow uses their top ten picks to trade up to the #2 spot. Jackets get #1 and #2 and draft MacKinnon and Drouin.
This year I would rather have two top 10 picks than the #2 pick if we also get the first pick.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
BPA is overrated when you have bad scoring in the pros and very little scoring in your prospects.
Then you draft someone like Filatov, a guy who has high offensive upside but also high boom/bust chance.

If we were drafting 2nd and Mackinnon went first, I would have no problem taking Jones if they think he's superior to Barkov and Drouin. Think, a Murray - Jones pairing.

Do I hope to see Mackinnon in a CBJ sweater if this season goes like I think it's going? Absolutely. Would I be upset if they drafted Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan, or Shinkaruk with picks 2-5? No, not if they truly believe that player is the best of who is available.

Closed Thread