HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
  #501
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,717
vCash: 500
I'm on the MacKinnon bandwagon but if we are picking 2nd and MacK goes first we have to get Jones.

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
  #502
OldGoaltender
Registered User
 
OldGoaltender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Triad NC
Country: United States
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'm on the MacKinnon bandwagon but if we are picking 2nd and MacK goes first we have to get Jones.
I've been of this mindset since the mid-season rankings came out.

OldGoaltender is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
  #503
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'm on the MacKinnon bandwagon but if we are picking 2nd and MacK goes first we have to get Jones.
Pretty much.

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
  #504
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated
 
ThisIsMyAlibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Didn't Johnson have some issues not being the #1 guy in LA? Anyway.

Jones-Johnson
Murray-Wiz
Nikitin-TBA

Deal some of the depth for forward prospects.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
  #505
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'm on the MacKinnon bandwagon but if we are picking 2nd and MacK goes first we have to get Jones.
have to? Lol no you have to get Barkov or Drouin if we pick 2nd

CBJFan19* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
  #506
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
have to? Lol no you have to get Barkov or Drouin if we pick 2nd
No. That's if we pick 3rd or 4th. Jones is a franchise player and can provide enough offense from defense that you would think he was a forward. Maybe a 15-35 guy

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 AM
  #507
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
have to? Lol no you have to get Barkov or Drouin if we pick 2nd
No way. Jones has upside higher than any defensive prospect we have. To pass on him from either of those guys would be a mistake.

candyman82 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
  #508
brianhatesu
Registered User
 
brianhatesu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
No way. Jones has upside higher than any defensive prospect we have. To pass on him from either of those guys would be a mistake.
Well, those other two guys have higher upside than any offensive prospect we have, so...

brianhatesu is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
  #509
stevo61
Registered User
 
stevo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
have to? Lol no you have to get Barkov or Drouin if we pick 2nd
I've been a huge Barkov fan since the start, i'd take him over Drouin easily (and the Mooseheads are pretty much my hometown team) and when its all said and done i think there is a possibility for an Ovechkin/Malkin type of deal where Barkov could end up just as good or better then Mackinnon. That being said Jones is a guy that could probably have a similar impact to Doughty in LA and would pretty much finish off a defense that could grow to be one of the best in the league.

stevo61 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
  #510
jacks johnson
Registered User
 
jacks johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
Didn't Johnson have some issues not being the #1 guy in LA? Anyway.

Jones-Johnson
Murray-Wiz
Nikitin-TBA

Deal some of the depth for forward prospects.
Where is John Moore ? To be honest, he has looked to be one of our best defenseman in my eyes, and looks very comfortable this year.

jacks johnson is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
  #511
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
have to? Lol no you have to get Barkov or Drouin if we pick 2nd
So, do you think it was a mistake for the Penguins to take Crosby, Malkin, and Staal? I mean, why keep taking C's? You clearly need to draft a LW or RW.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
  #512
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
what an absolute failed attempt at a "point". diffrence is those positions score and win games, last years highest scoring defensemen had a whopping 19 goals. go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,

CBJFan19* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
  #513
jacks johnson
Registered User
 
jacks johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
I think we are getting a little too ahead of ourselves at this point. We can argue all day as to whether we take best player available, as we did last year with Murray. Until we know exactly where our 3 picks fall, its just semantics. For example, maybe we draft second again, and Edmonton gets the first pick again . Do you think Edmonton will take Mckinnon over Jones, when their situation is the exact opposite of ours, as far as need ? I guess its possible, but it would be very easy for the Jackets to swap with Edmonton, and they both come out a winner, for a very small price. In the end, we have qualified people making decisions now. If we somehow take Jones, you can be assured that Davidson will be packaging players to aquire offense. The key is to aquire assets that other teams would want. Heck it was rumored that the islanders wanted to package all their picks to us for Murray, it was later denied, I believe. But Jones will be a much more coveted defenseman than even Murray was , so either way , we will be in good shape.

jacks johnson is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
  #514
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Where is John Moore ? To be honest, he has looked to be one of our best defenseman in my eyes, and looks very comfortable this year.
Moore isn't going anywhere. I'm guessing it was an oversight, because he is solid and only getting better.

Nordique is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
  #515
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,045
vCash: 500
Let's say we end up with one lottery pick, and two non lotto picks.

Hypothetic situation: 6th, 23rd, 28th

Do you try to trade up to 1st at the cost of all three?

Nordique is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  #516
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Let's say we end up with one lottery pick, and two non lotto picks.

Hypothetic situation: 6th, 23rd, 28th

Do you try to trade up to 1st at the cost of all three?
Not gonna happen.

Teams aren't going to drop out of the top spot.

How many picks did the Islanders throw at the Jackets to get them to move down a few spots?

Skraut is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
  #517
JacketsDavid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Let's say we end up with one lottery pick, and two non lotto picks.

Hypothetic situation: 6th, 23rd, 28th

Do you try to trade up to 1st at the cost of all three?
If MacK is regarded as highly as I suspect he would be (and again injuries, etc could change that) then I doubt that would be enough.

JacketsDavid is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
  #518
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
what an absolute failed attempt at a "point". diffrence is those positions score and win games, last years highest scoring defensemen had a whopping 19 goals. go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,
I bet you think that building up a strong offensive line in football is stupid because "they don't score any touchdowns".

Or that pitching is useless in baseball because "they don't hit home runs".

candyman82 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
  #519
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
... go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,
According to many people who watch hockey for a living, there aren't that many guys around "like Jones." BPA is my draft mantra, there is not one area of this team that I can look at and say, "we don't need more talent here." And that "best player" at the time if our pick may not be anyone were arguing over, now - evaluations change, injuries happen, needs shift, and draft position remains unknown until after the lottery.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
  #520
Cash for Nash
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
According to many people who watch hockey for a living, there aren't that many guys around "like Jones." BPA is my draft mantra, there is not one area of this team that I can look at and say, "we don't need more talent here." And that "best player" at the time if our pick may not be anyone were arguing over, now - evaluations change, injuries happen, needs shift, and draft position remains unknown until after the lottery.
Look....If Seth Jones is BY FAR and away the best player in the draft then yes--take him at #1. By this I mean if Jones=Shea Weber and the other guys (Mac,Barkov, Drouin, etc) are a notch or two below Stamkos/Tavares/Hall/Seguin etc. Then yes, you have to take Jones.

However, if these guys are close and Jones is only slightly rated higher than Mac/Barkov, then please take a freaking forward who can put the puck in the net and sell some freaking tickets (a la Rick Nash) when he was drafted.

Cash for Nash is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
  #521
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Let's say we end up with one lottery pick, and two non lotto picks.

Hypothetic situation: 6th, 23rd, 28th

Do you try to trade up to 1st at the cost of all three?
No, since the difference this draft is that there is more depth and less of a drop-off of talent.

MacKinnon is the most hyped prospect because of the Crosby connection and how good he was at 15/16. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the best player in 5 years.

MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan and Nichushkin could all go in the top 5. Chances are all teams will have them in a different order and Nichushkin is the real wildcard.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:26 PM
  #522
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,767
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie unveils his Top 30 prospects tonight. Should be up on tsn.ca tomorrow. His rankings are determined form discussions with NHL scouts so they have some validity. It will be interesting to take a look.

EspenK is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
  #523
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
what an absolute failed attempt at a "point". diffrence is those positions score and win games, last years highest scoring defensemen had a whopping 19 goals. go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,
You are right. Who needs D and G. Lets just play 6 forwards all the time. No offense, but you need to learn how to debate, learn other posters' opinions might be right, and how to respect other posters.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
  #524
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
I think we are getting a little too ahead of ourselves at this point. We can argue all day as to whether we take best player available, as we did last year with Murray. Until we know exactly where our 3 picks fall, its just semantics. For example, maybe we draft second again, and Edmonton gets the first pick again . Do you think Edmonton will take Mckinnon over Jones, when their situation is the exact opposite of ours, as far as need ? I guess its possible, but it would be very easy for the Jackets to swap with Edmonton, and they both come out a winner, for a very small price. In the end, we have qualified people making decisions now. If we somehow take Jones, you can be assured that Davidson will be packaging players to aquire offense. The key is to aquire assets that other teams would want. Heck it was rumored that the islanders wanted to package all their picks to us for Murray, it was later denied, I believe. But Jones will be a much more coveted defenseman than even Murray was , so either way , we will be in good shape.
Why would we want to do that. Let them pick Jones at 1 if they want him. I am not trading anything to move from 2 to 1. I only do that if there is a huge difference in the player who will go 1 and the player who will go 2. IMO, there isn't.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
  #525
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Let's say we end up with one lottery pick, and two non lotto picks.

Hypothetic situation: 6th, 23rd, 28th

Do you try to trade up to 1st at the cost of all three?
I don't think the team picking 1st would do that.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.