HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
I'm on the MacKinnon bandwagon but if we are picking 2nd and MacK goes first we have to get Jones.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
OldGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'm on the MacKinnon bandwagon but if we are picking 2nd and MacK goes first we have to get Jones.
I've been of this mindset since the mid-season rankings came out.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Pretty much.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Didn't Johnson have some issues not being the #1 guy in LA? Anyway.

Jones-Johnson
Murray-Wiz
Nikitin-TBA

Deal some of the depth for forward prospects.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
have to? Lol no you have to get Barkov or Drouin if we pick 2nd

Old
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
No. That's if we pick 3rd or 4th. Jones is a franchise player and can provide enough offense from defense that you would think he was a forward. Maybe a 15-35 guy

Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 AM
candyman82

Quote:
No way. Jones has upside higher than any defensive prospect we have. To pass on him from either of those guys would be a mistake.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
No way. Jones has upside higher than any defensive prospect we have. To pass on him from either of those guys would be a mistake.
Well, those other two guys have higher upside than any offensive prospect we have, so...

Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
stevo61

Quote:
I've been a huge Barkov fan since the start, i'd take him over Drouin easily (and the Mooseheads are pretty much my hometown team) and when its all said and done i think there is a possibility for an Ovechkin/Malkin type of deal where Barkov could end up just as good or better then Mackinnon. That being said Jones is a guy that could probably have a similar impact to Doughty in LA and would pretty much finish off a defense that could grow to be one of the best in the league.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
Didn't Johnson have some issues not being the #1 guy in LA? Anyway.

Jones-Johnson
Murray-Wiz
Nikitin-TBA

Deal some of the depth for forward prospects.
Where is John Moore ? To be honest, he has looked to be one of our best defenseman in my eyes, and looks very comfortable this year.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
So, do you think it was a mistake for the Penguins to take Crosby, Malkin, and Staal? I mean, why keep taking C's? You clearly need to draft a LW or RW.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
CBJFan19*

what an absolute failed attempt at a "point". diffrence is those positions score and win games, last years highest scoring defensemen had a whopping 19 goals. go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,

Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
jacks johnson

I think we are getting a little too ahead of ourselves at this point. We can argue all day as to whether we take best player available, as we did last year with Murray. Until we know exactly where our 3 picks fall, its just semantics. For example, maybe we draft second again, and Edmonton gets the first pick again . Do you think Edmonton will take Mckinnon over Jones, when their situation is the exact opposite of ours, as far as need ? I guess its possible, but it would be very easy for the Jackets to swap with Edmonton, and they both come out a winner, for a very small price. In the end, we have qualified people making decisions now. If we somehow take Jones, you can be assured that Davidson will be packaging players to aquire offense. The key is to aquire assets that other teams would want. Heck it was rumored that the islanders wanted to package all their picks to us for Murray, it was later denied, I believe. But Jones will be a much more coveted defenseman than even Murray was , so either way , we will be in good shape.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Where is John Moore ? To be honest, he has looked to be one of our best defenseman in my eyes, and looks very comfortable this year.
Moore isn't going anywhere. I'm guessing it was an oversight, because he is solid and only getting better.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Nordique

Let's say we end up with one lottery pick, and two non lotto picks.

Hypothetic situation: 6th, 23rd, 28th

Do you try to trade up to 1st at the cost of all three?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post

Not gonna happen.

Teams aren't going to drop out of the top spot.

How many picks did the Islanders throw at the Jackets to get them to move down a few spots?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
JacketsDavid

Quote:

If MacK is regarded as highly as I suspect he would be (and again injuries, etc could change that) then I doubt that would be enough.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
candyman82

Quote:
what an absolute failed attempt at a "point". diffrence is those positions score and win games, last years highest scoring defensemen had a whopping 19 goals. go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,
I bet you think that building up a strong offensive line in football is stupid because "they don't score any touchdowns".

Or that pitching is useless in baseball because "they don't hit home runs".

Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
... go ahead keep cheering for the franchise to fail and be at the bottom of the league year in and year out with guys like Jones,
According to many people who watch hockey for a living, there aren't that many guys around "like Jones." BPA is my draft mantra, there is not one area of this team that I can look at and say, "we don't need more talent here." And that "best player" at the time if our pick may not be anyone were arguing over, now - evaluations change, injuries happen, needs shift, and draft position remains unknown until after the lottery.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
According to many people who watch hockey for a living, there aren't that many guys around "like Jones." BPA is my draft mantra, there is not one area of this team that I can look at and say, "we don't need more talent here." And that "best player" at the time if our pick may not be anyone were arguing over, now - evaluations change, injuries happen, needs shift, and draft position remains unknown until after the lottery.
Look....If Seth Jones is BY FAR and away the best player in the draft then yes--take him at #1. By this I mean if Jones=Shea Weber and the other guys (Mac,Barkov, Drouin, etc) are a notch or two below Stamkos/Tavares/Hall/Seguin etc. Then yes, you have to take Jones.

However, if these guys are close and Jones is only slightly rated higher than Mac/Barkov, then please take a freaking forward who can put the puck in the net and sell some freaking tickets (a la Rick Nash) when he was drafted.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:

No, since the difference this draft is that there is more depth and less of a drop-off of talent.

MacKinnon is the most hyped prospect because of the Crosby connection and how good he was at 15/16. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the best player in 5 years.

MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan and Nichushkin could all go in the top 5. Chances are all teams will have them in a different order and Nichushkin is the real wildcard.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:26 PM
EspenK

Bob McKenzie unveils his Top 30 prospects tonight. Should be up on tsn.ca tomorrow. His rankings are determined form discussions with NHL scouts so they have some validity. It will be interesting to take a look.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
You are right. Who needs D and G. Lets just play 6 forwards all the time. No offense, but you need to learn how to debate, learn other posters' opinions might be right, and how to respect other posters.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
I think we are getting a little too ahead of ourselves at this point. We can argue all day as to whether we take best player available, as we did last year with Murray. Until we know exactly where our 3 picks fall, its just semantics. For example, maybe we draft second again, and Edmonton gets the first pick again . Do you think Edmonton will take Mckinnon over Jones, when their situation is the exact opposite of ours, as far as need ? I guess its possible, but it would be very easy for the Jackets to swap with Edmonton, and they both come out a winner, for a very small price. In the end, we have qualified people making decisions now. If we somehow take Jones, you can be assured that Davidson will be packaging players to aquire offense. The key is to aquire assets that other teams would want. Heck it was rumored that the islanders wanted to package all their picks to us for Murray, it was later denied, I believe. But Jones will be a much more coveted defenseman than even Murray was , so either way , we will be in good shape.
Why would we want to do that. Let them pick Jones at 1 if they want him. I am not trading anything to move from 2 to 1. I only do that if there is a huge difference in the player who will go 1 and the player who will go 2. IMO, there isn't.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

I don't think the team picking 1st would do that.

Closed Thread