HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And the slightly less underinformed reply would be "so, how is Calvin de Haan doing, anyways?"

I do get the point; I'm just reasonably confident that "the guys to take" would probably still be MacK and Jones. Especially since we already still have the additional 1st with which to play around.
Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin internally ranked over MacKinnon, for the following four reasons:

1) The age difference is negligible (Drouin being barely five months older).

2) MacKinnon is ranked higher on his physical tools, Drouin is ranked higher on hockey IQ and vision (and described in superlative terms). The worst I've seen Drouin's intangibles referred to is "exceptional", which was last used for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and...well, I'd have to think back a few years to find the last player described in such terms. In the last few years, that's been more of a focus by the CBJ scouting.

3) It's possible that MacKinnon is higher right now simply because he came into the season ranked higher. We see this phenomena in college football, where a low-ranked team (coming into the season) can steamroll everyone and still end up ranked behind a high-ranked one who plods through their season. MacKinnon hasn't done enough to lose that spot; if he were to take some lessons from Alex Forsberg, I'm sure he could do it in a heartbeat.

4) Drouin looked outstanding in multiple roles in the WJC, MacKinnon did not. How much stock gets put into WJC performance is unknown, but it couldn't hurt to have played fairly well.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 02-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Yeah but Drouin is wing and Mackinnon is a natural center. How much that counts for I'm not sure, but it has to count for something...

Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin internally ranked over MacKinnon, for the following four reasons:

Meh.

Quote:
2) MacKinnon is ranked higher on his physical tools, Drouin is ranked higher on hockey IQ and vision (and described in superlative terms). The worst I've seen Drouin's intangibles referred to is "exceptional", which was last used for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and...well, I'd have to think back a few years to find the last player described in such terms. In the last few years, that's been more of a focus by the CBJ scouting.
From what I understood, the distinction in IQ is that Drouin is nigh-superhuman whereas MacKinnon is "merely" really, really, really awesome. Also, while there's been more of a focus on hockey IQ, that doesn't mean such a significant decision's going to be made based on such a relatively small distinction. Arguably, the whole "wing versus center" element is a bigger distinction that would make more of a difference.

Quote:
3) It's possible that MacKinnon is higher right now simply because he came into the season ranked higher. We see this phenomena in college football, where a low-ranked team (coming into the season) can steamroll everyone and still end up ranked behind a high-ranked one who plods through their season. MacKinnon hasn't done enough to lose that spot; if he were to take some lessons from Alex Forsberg, I'm sure he could do it in a heartbeat.
I discount this, simply because with NHL draft picks of late, there's been this perverse phenomenon in which folks go out of their way to try to find reasons why the #1 shouldn't be the #1. Remember the Tavares/Hedman/maybe Duchene debate that went on forever? Taylor versus Tyler? All the "RNH might not necessarily be #1" talk? Galchenyuk and/or Grigorenko above Yakupov?

You might have a point with most other folks - but we're talking about the possible 1st overall. Everybody second-guesses it.

Quote:
4) Drouin looked outstanding in multiple roles in the WJC, MacKinnon did not. How much stock gets put into WJC performance is unknown, but it couldn't hurt to have played fairly well.
Personally, I think it's the sole reason why Nino Nederimpossibletospelleriter was picked in the top-10. But my own amateur scouting abilities suck, so.

Quote:
Yeah, we all know how you guys feel about One True Saviors.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Jonathan Drouin reminds me a little bit of Patrick Kane around the same age. I think it's highly possible that he becomes a better player (has a far better attitude and more energy, anyhow), but that's a few years away from being known. Nathan MacKinnon's upside is certainly higher than that, as I think he has the potential to be not only a first line player, but a franchise building block. While Drouin looks like a good potential first liner, I don't see that kind of huge upside for him ... and, if his offensive game doesn't translate, you end up with a complete bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Yeah but Drouin is wing and Mackinnon is a natural center. How much that counts for I'm not sure, but it has to count for something...
I think MacKinnon will be a better right wing in the NHL than a center. It's moot though really, as in today's game, guys are expected to be adaptable.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
From what I understood, the distinction in IQ is that Drouin is nigh-superhuman whereas MacKinnon is "merely" really, really, really awesome. Also, while there's been more of a focus on hockey IQ, that doesn't mean such a significant decision's going to be made based on such a relatively small distinction. Arguably, the whole "wing versus center" element is a bigger distinction that would make more of a difference.
A few have MacKinnon pegged as a wing in the NHL though, in which case there's an additional factor of switching positions while adapting to the NHL. It also means that the best center this year who's played on the smaller ice is Sean Monahan.

My thoughts on hockey IQ and on vision are this. A player can become stronger, a player can become a more fluid or more efficient skater, and a player can change his mentality. But that innate ability to quickly read everything around him and react accordingly...that's not something that can just be changed and improved. It's why there are 17-year-olds out there who are substantially better drivers than people who have 30 years more experience at it.

Quote:
I discount this, simply because with NHL draft picks of late, there's been this perverse phenomenon in which folks go out of their way to try to find reasons why the #1 shouldn't be the #1. Remember the Tavares/Hedman/maybe Duchene debate that went on forever? Taylor versus Tyler? All the "RNH might not necessarily be #1" talk? Galchenyuk and/or Grigorenko above Yakupov?

You might have a point with most other folks - but we're talking about the possible 1st overall. Everybody second-guesses it.
It's nothing new; I have THN draft previews going back to 1995 where this is routinely brought up (every two years or so). It's brought up in other sports as well.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:27 PM
neek21

Quote:
That's a Tommy McVie one-liner if I ever heard one.

Besides being a good coach, he also was known for his quick wit. When he coached the Utica Devils in the AHL, he was asked about the struggling Paul Ysebaert. McVie held an envelope to his head and said something like, "Evinrude, Commodore Perry, and Paul Ysebaert. Name a motor, a boater, and a floater."
Nice!! we had the pleasure of watching Tom McVie coached teams here in Dayton Ohio with the Dayton Gems in the mid 70's....great guy, great hockey mind, great times for the Gems!!

Old
02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Jonathan Drouin reminds me a little bit of Patrick Kane around the same age. I think it's highly possible that he becomes a better player (has a far better attitude and more energy, anyhow), but that's a few years away from being known. Nathan MacKinnon's upside is certainly higher than that, as I think he has the potential to be not only a first line player, but a franchise building block. While Drouin looks like a good potential first liner, I don't see that kind of huge upside for him ... and, if his offensive game doesn't translate, you end up with a complete bust.
True, but that same concern would exist with any excellent offensive player compared to a lesser one who's more versatile.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
My thoughts on hockey IQ and on vision are this. A player can become stronger, a player can become a more fluid or more efficient skater, and a player can change his mentality. But that innate ability to quickly read everything around him and react accordingly...that's not something that can just be changed and improved. It's why there are 17-year-olds out there who are substantially better drivers than people who have 30 years more experience at it.
It's to this point that we cannot overlook Ryan Murray. This is exactly what makes him a special player ... yes, Griffin Reinhart is 4-5 inches taller, stronger, and more physical ... but I assure you all that Ryan Murray is a special player.

Quote:
True, but that same concern would exist with any excellent offensive player compared to a lesser one who's more versatile.
Right you are ... but, I also think MacKinnon's offensive ceiling is higher than Drouin's. I don't see the two swapping spots, as I think MacKinnon is a more "sure bet".

Old
02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
We may be better suited moving up just a few spots and selecting a guy like Max Domi or Ryan Pulock, under the assumption that they are available. Both are excellent prospects, and we wouldn't give up much to move up to get them (and still likely retain the other first rounder) ... I still think Pulock could be one of the top players to come out of this draft, in spite of his falling stock.
Nothing against smaller players but I think there are equivalent players to Domi that offer more size. This club could use some size and skill badly up front (note the skill part ). I have no idea how this draft order ends up but I still lean towards McKinnon if we have 1 or 2 or Barkov if we end up at 3 or 4. Then I'm hoping that LA or NYR fail to reach the playoff and would love a shot at Nichushkin or Gauthier in that 10-14 range. Finally how about a guy like De La Rose or Zykov late in the 1st.

Granted, if Jones is the guy I won't complain but that puts more pressure on getting a top end forward in the front of this draft in my opinion.

Deep down I see the CBJ getting another 2nd this year and trying to recoup their 3rd (I don't see the Rangers in the Cup final). A guy like Lazar could fall to the top of the 2nd. So could Zykov or De La Rose. I think those would be good picks for CBJ

Old
02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Since we are throwing out hypotheticals, I'll give you one where for a change karma works in our favor.

Suppose the Kings or Rangers miss the playoffs. Suppose the Jackets have the worst record in the league (I doubt it as the Flames are pretty horrible, but for the hypothetical, we'll go with it).

Now, suppose that Kings/Rangers pick wins the lottery. Jackets now draft #1 and #2. Do you take Jones AND MacKinnon, or do you instead go all offense and take the linemates MacKinnon and Drouin? Option A gives you a potential Murray/Jones pairing together with a true stud first line player. But, the Jackets have some depth on defense and their forward depth is poor. MacKinnon/Drouin instantly give you a top line for years to come.

It is a long shot, but it is exactly why I root for the Rangers and Kings to struggle and do as poorly as possible. Burke's draft of the Sedin twins has set that team for a decade even while the cast of characters around them has changed. The possibility of two top 5 picks, let alone #1 and #2 would be a huge game changer for the Jackets...if the use the picks wisely.
I go Jones & McKinnon. Seems like a Jones-Murray pairing would have the chance to be like none other - certainly not for CBJ - and adding McKinnon is that top line with with determination and skill. Drouin is nice too but I"m higher on Barkov (I think we need some size and skill).

Old
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
We lose our third round pick if the Rangers don't reach the Cup finals, btw. The Kings bad start isn't all that surprising since the only reason they made the playoffs last year (besides clockgate) was Quick and if he has come back down to earth...
Which is why we want them to make the finals if they make it in the playoffs. I'd rather they not make the playoffs though which will give us a higher first round pick. I'd gladly give up the 3rd round pick if it means their 1st round pick is in the top 20.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:17 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
**** id give them wiz and next year's first. That's 2 franchise players.. Completely reshaping the team. We would have 2 dmen jumping into the lineup. Aucoin disappears and wiz goes packing. Jones and Murray instantly make up for Wisnewski, and Mackinnon instantly makes an impact in our top 6. Him Atkinson Johansen Murray and Jones develop together. That makes Brassard, Johansen, Mackinnon and Jenner for our future centers. Some would argue Brassard is a bust, but some players are just late bloomers. This is his year to take over. Will he? I don't know. We're only 8 games in, anything is possible.
But then on defense we have Jones Murray Johnson Moore. 4 1st round defensemen, 3 of which went 1,2,3 respectively. On top of Erixon tyutin and Nikitin.

Mackinnon and Jones or Mackinnon and Barkov. Either is a instant gme changer. Mackinnon Jones is probably the better choice though. I think Johnson Murray and Jones would make for quite the spectacle.
What we would really need to work on then us getting Mackinnon/Barkov Johansen and Jenner some wingers. More Atkinsons and voracek types. Boy do i miss seeing voracek in a jackets jersey.
Where would Brassard play? The 4th line? Johansen, MacKinnon, and Jenner would be our top 3 centers in the future. Jenner is our future 3rd line C, IMO. Then Johansen and MacKinnon would be our 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 1st line C's.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:20 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

That better not be the case. I would even have Barkov ahead of Drouin. I would love to have any one of the 3, but Drouin is 3rd on my list.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:34 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I do really like Barkov (played for Finland right)

and the chance to line up McKinnon and Barkov on your first line would probably win out if we had the first two picks. Maybe you trade the second pick with the 3rd pick so that Jones goes #2, but ending up with the offense probably makes the most sense.

Personally I am loving a first pairing of Jones Murray, but looking back I have always liked the fast scoring wingers. I hope we are in position to have to make this very tough choice.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Where would Brassard play? The 4th line? Johansen, MacKinnon, and Jenner would be our top 3 centers in the future. Jenner is our future 3rd line C, IMO. Then Johansen and MacKinnon would be our 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 1st line C's.
That's up to him, his future is in his own hands.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:12 PM
alphafox

I've got to go with the Mackinnon and Jones crowd. They are both a cut above the rest of the field. Besides, drafting Jones would likely give us a Franchise Class D-pair and would allow us to trade an existing D-man (Tyutin, Nikitin, Wiz, take your pick) for either (1) Draft pick/picks to grab more offensive help (2) Veteran help (look at what having Jagr on the team did last year for the Flyers) (3) put together a package for a young nhler to add to the core of the team.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
JacketsFanWest

I'm not sure you can say that MacKinnon and Jones are clearly above others, especially Barkov or even Lindholm. Both are phenom levels in their respective leagues and breaking scoring records for players of their age.

With any of the various monthly rankings lists, the writer needs to justify why the prospects are moving up/down, usually based on production. That's why it's easy for these lists to put high scoring Drouin above someone like Monahan (who's on a very bad Ottawa team). In the end, a center with Monahan's skills might end up drafted above Drouin or even Barkov because he's more projectable from playing in the OHL. But that's like Brule getting drafted before Kopitar.

Bob MacKenzie's list is a little different, since he's basing it on what scouts are saying. He has Andre Burakowsky at #14 even though Burakowsky sees very little ice time for the Malmö Redhawks. He's there simply because of his talent and potential, above Pulock, Erne, Mantha and Domi on MacKenzie's list, all who are putting up big numbers in the CHL. In the actual draft, GMs might overrule the scouts and pick a CHLer over a Euro like Burakowsky, but that's how teams get steals in the 2nd round.

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 02-02-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 07:55 AM
EspenK

After watching last night's game, who do you guys like in the 11-13 spot? (yet hopeful)

Old
02-03-2013, 09:18 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
After watching last night's game, who do you guys like in the 11-13 spot? (yet hopeful)
Zadorov, Nurse from Dman. Pulock if available.

Shinkaruk if available, would like Mantha too. Haven't seen much of Gauthier or Erne but based on what I've read would like them too.

Nichushkin.. maybe. Like the tools but not the 'Russian factor' and the toolbox.

Some of these will likely be available. Pulock, Shinkaruk, Zadorov want these the most.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Which would you guys prefer?

I'm a stats cruncher, sports futurist, and overall stat geek. As a Preds fan, you guys terrify me. Why, when Howson made the Nash deal and the Foligno deal, he made a deal that lead to this coming out of my mouth.

"Oh, he made a David Poile deal.....****!"

While adding a 1st, he also cemented a fantastic foundation for your team. Statistically, your defense is not as gawd awful as last year but CBJ needs to find a new medical and training staff. (Why are your defensemen made of glass?)

Defensively, you're at 20th, not God awful but not a black hole of suck. Offensively, that's where your black hole of suck comes from. 28th, not as bad as Nashville's but still.

Situational Analysis: You need offense more than defense. You can make the playoffs with the defense you have.

But, and it's early I know, you are closer to a playoff spot than the 1st overall pick. You should not even consider tanking for the 1st. The best I think you would get is a top 5 pick. You are only 2 pts from a playoff spot.

So the question remains; do you trade the 1st to get high quality talent for the playoffs or hold the line and draft 3 1sts in one of the better classes, MAYBE, of this generation?

As of right now: LA's pick is #5. CBJ #7 (But closer to the playoffs than #1), NYR #14.

My personal opinion, hold the line. This is not your year. Get (Hopefully) 2 top 10 picks and then relocated to the Southeast. This is not the year to push for a cup. It's a half season and all the haters will mock it because you won a cup in a short season and you will have the metaphorical asterisk.

What do you guy want?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm a stats cruncher, sports futurist, and overall stat geek. As a Preds fan, you guys terrify me. Why, when Howson made the Nash deal and the Foligno deal, he made a deal that lead to this coming out of my mouth.

While adding a 1st, he also cemented a fantastic foundation for your team. Statistically, your defense is not as gawd awful as last year but CBJ needs to find a new medical and training staff. (Why are your defensemen made of glass?)

Defensively, you're at 20th, not God awful but not a black hole of suck. Offensively, that's where your black hole of suck comes from. 28th, not as bad as Nashville's but still.

Situational Analysis: You need offense more than defense. You can make the playoffs with the defense you have.

But, and it's early I know, you are closer to a playoff spot than the 1st overall pick. You should not even consider tanking for the 1st. The best I think you would get is a top 5 pick. You are only 2 pts from a playoff spot.

So the question remains; do you trade the 1st to get high quality talent for the playoffs or hold the line and draft 3 1sts in one of the better classes, MAYBE, of this generation?

As of right now: LA's pick is #5. CBJ #7 (But closer to the playoffs than #1), NYR #14.

My personal opinion, hold the line. This is not your year. Get (Hopefully) 2 top 10 picks and then relocated to the Southeast. This is not the year to push for a cup. It's a half season and all the haters will mock it because you won a cup in a short season and you will have the metaphorical asterisk.

What do you guy want?
No question in my mind, keep the picks. In fact try to get one more.

For the most part, the teams that have been bottom feeders the last 5 years are the teams who made poor decisions in the 2003 draft. This year could be a repeat.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Cash for Nash

Quote:

What do you guy want?

1. Keep the picks (no doubt about that)
2. Move to the Southeast (more important than the picks imo)

Will the NHL really pull the trigger on the move though? Seems like the labor union has *****ed and moaned as well about this move.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:34 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
The best case scenario would be some of the defensemen go earlier than expected in the top 10, dropping a few of the forwards- like what happened last year that allowed Filip Forsberg and Grigorenko to drop. Robert Hägg could be this year's Hampus Lindholm. They are very similar players. Gigantic OHL defenseman Nikita Zadorov might be another one to go top 10.

So, the hope would be Nichushkin or Shinkaruk would be there at #11. I'm not sure how fans would feel if they drafted a Russian, but Anisimov might make fans forget Zherdev and Filatov and the team is far more Russian friendly now.

Wennberg is #11 on MacKenzie's list and and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going top 10. I hate every year hyping the latest prospect from Djurgården, but this kid has been producing all season and making it look easy. He's not all that flashy, but he has a great playmaking ability to turn nothing into a goal. He doesn't have Zibanejad's defensive awareness or aggressiveness, but he's more offensively gifted than Zibanejad (both DIF products).

Old
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Looking over the talent pool CBJ has a lot of Defensemen. If you can score a LATE 1st for one of those extra dmen You should consider it. Ryan Murray should be ready for heavy contact work by mid April and that's an extra body to add to the d-corp and push some of the lower level talent out for picks.

If you are projecting, #5 is the Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan range.

Projecting #7, Ristolainen, Pulock, Nichushkin, Shinkaruk

#14, Domi, Erne, Mantha, Horvat.

An extra late pick could score you a Lazar.

All I care about as a Preds fan. Knock Detroit the **** out of the playoffs, everything else will come to place.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

What do you guy want?
#1 - We shouldn't trade any picks for the now! If anything, we should trade guys for more picks.

#2 - We aren't that close to the playoffs. We may be 2 points from the 8th seed, but we are behind 4 teams (2 of those teams have played one less game than us). Also, the 2 teams behind us have played 2 and 3 games less than us.

I think we are good enough to finish around 10th, but that wouldn't be good for the future of this organization. We need to continue to play hard and build for the future.

Closed Thread