HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
major major

vCash: 500
I have been dreaming about getting Mackinnon and Drouin since first seeing Drouin in the fall. The guy has the best combination of hands and intelligence of any prospect going back a few years. So many guys show great dangles and dekes, but can't consistently put it in the net (cough, Nick Foligno, cough cough), while Drouin seems to have this preternatural will to bury it. Make sure you watch Drouin before estimating him.

I think if the Jackets get the 1st overall and the Kings pick ends up 6th-9th, then trading into 3rd and 4th would make sense this year. This is a terrible strategy most years, but this year Barkov/Mackinnon/Drouin are all close to equally awesome. Jones is going to be the top pick and a franchise stud, but I think he is more valuable to other teams than to us, so we could move down a couple spots and get a huge load for doing it- maybe next year's first rounder to go along with the 3rd overall.

Normally I would say pick the best players and build around them, but I'm having a hard time seeing where the Jackets are going to get the offense from.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

++.

If management thinks the blue line is up to snuff, I could get behind a few trade ups to secure two of the elite offensive prospects.

I'm tired of quantity. It's time for quality.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
CapnCornelius

For now I'm going to hope we get two elite prospects without a trade. Could have an opportunity to get MacKinnon, Barkov, Mantha and Domi, for example, in that scenario. I wonder what Jarmo's thoughts are about taking 4 forwards in the top 30, though and if at least one pick might be spent on blueline or even goal.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
Doesn't this just ensure EDM will win again?
Yes, yes it does.

And to further stamp the earlier date (as the resident draft/prospect guru ); the prior posters are correct - whichever team wins the lottery moves up to #1, with all other teams staying in their current order, based on reverse order of the standings. Say Ottawa finishes 17th overall, and wins the lottery - they move to 1st, with the 13 other teams all taking one step back.

The subsequent rounds all remain in reverse order of standings (in this scenario, Ottawa would draft 14th in each round following the first).

Old
02-18-2013, 07:41 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Lottery is only for the first pick. Rounds 2-7 are in order of how the teams finished.
I know that. I am talking about all of the picks in the lottery.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Yes, yes it does.

And to further stamp the earlier date (as the resident draft/prospect guru ); the prior posters are correct - whichever team wins the lottery moves up to #1, with all other teams staying in their current order, based on reverse order of the standings. Say Ottawa finishes 17th overall, and wins the lottery - they move to 1st, with the 13 other teams all taking one step back.

The subsequent rounds all remain in reverse order of standings (in this scenario, Ottawa would draft 14th in each round following the first).
That is what I figured it was, but do you have an article that states everyone would just move back one spot? That is all I am asking for, though it seems like I am confusing people .

Old
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Blue Jackets finish 30th. Kings finish 29th.

Rangers miss the playoffs in the last game and win the lottery.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Blue Jackets finish 30th. Kings finish 29th.

Rangers miss the playoffs in the last game and win the lottery.
that post sounds vaguely familiar....

Old
02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
major major

I'm curious how folks would rank this year's top draft prospects compared with top prospects from previous years. How do we rank Jones, Barkov, Mackinnon, Drouin, Hall, Seguin, Nuge, Landeskog, Yakupov, Murray, and Galchenyuk. I would put all 4 of this years guys on top. Is this crazy?

This makes me less jealous of Edmonton's three first overalls. Hall, Nuge, and Yak aren't superstuds. We might end up the luckiest of all, because we really suck at the right time.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
that post sounds vaguely familiar....
Simpsons did it?

Old
02-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
Doesn't this just ensure EDM will win again?
Actually I have this odd feeling that DET will just barely miss the playoffs and then win the lottery. Wouldn't that be fun? Thanks for changing the rules, NHL....

Old
02-18-2013, 08:21 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aportzline
I'm easily confused, but #NHL provided draft clarity today. Yes, all 14 non-playoff clubs can now win No. 1 overall pick, which is a change.
Quote:
But it's still the case that no team can slide more than one spot from its 'standings' place. So, 30th place club, can't fall past No. 2.
Quote:
Many have asked: Yes, #NHL draft lottery changes will be implemented for this year's lottery, which will be held April 29.
Porty just tweeted this out for clarification

Old
02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
That is what I figured it was, but do you have an article that states everyone would just move back one spot? That is all I am asking for, though it seems like I am confusing people .
Nothing I can find. I'd be glad to type up an article in explanation and post it to the site, but you'd still have to take my word for it

It's funny, all of the lockout ramifications are difficult to dig up. Must be something the NHL is trying to sweep under the rug - maybe we'll all forget in a couple of years?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore loser View Post
nothing i can find. I'd be glad to type up an article in explanation and post it to the site, but you'd still have to take my word for it

It's funny, all of the lockout ramifications are difficult to dig up. Must be something the nhl is trying to sweep under the rug - maybe we'll all forget in a couple of years?
lol

Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
Porty just tweeted this out for clarification
Thanks.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I think if the Jackets get the 1st overall and the Kings pick ends up 6th-9th, then trading into 3rd and 4th would make sense this year.
Might be possible to do one or other, but very difficult to do both. If top 3 picks are that close, I guess you could do a Doug Maclean swap (Nash draft: We drop down to #3 overall pick this year, they get our #1 overall pick, then we have option next year to swap again). Moving up to #4 overall from #6 might take more work.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

delete

Old
02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Nothing I can find. I'd be glad to type up an article in explanation and post it to the site, but you'd still have to take my word for it

It's funny, all of the lockout ramifications are difficult to dig up. Must be something the NHL is trying to sweep under the rug - maybe we'll all forget in a couple of years?
Compare and contrast.....Ryan Pulock right now and Cam Fowler in 2010, with particular attention paid to higher projected ceiling.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Compare and contrast.....Ryan Pulock right now and Cam Fowler in 2010, with particular attention paid to higher projected ceiling.
Very different players, hard to compare honestly. Fowler was/is a high octane, smooth skating, puck moving defenseman; with some big concerns about physical play and defensive zone play. Pulock is more of an up and down player; not a terrific skater, but solid in his own end. Huge shot (seriously, booming), good playmaking skills. I think Pulock is a better all-around player and a better leader, maybe with a little bit less "high end" upside than Fowler.

Before the draft, I would have compared Cam Fowler's playstyle to Ryan Whitney. I have been, and will continue, to compare Ryan Pulock, to Al MacInnis.

I don't think you can compare their perceived drops; Fowler was on a strong team but had some concerns about various things. Pulock is on a poor team but has been a standout for them, mainly being surpassed due to the team he's on, as well as the higher amount of talent around him in the draft.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Of note:

Statistically, while Cam Fowler was at the time considered the top defenseman in his draft, and a potential top-5 pick, he posted 8 goals and 55 points in 55 games, with an eventual Memorial Cup team.

Ryan Pulock currently has 14 goals and 42 points through 50 games, on a team that sits tied for 19th overall in the 22 team WHL. He has factored in on nearly 30% of his team's points, and leads them in scoring.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Very different players, hard to compare honestly. Fowler was/is a high octane, smooth skating, puck moving defenseman; with some big concerns about physical play and defensive zone play. Pulock is more of an up and down player; not a terrific skater, but solid in his own end. Huge shot (seriously, booming), good playmaking skills. I think Pulock is a better all-around player and a better leader, maybe with a little bit less "high end" upside than Fowler.

Before the draft, I would have compared Cam Fowler's playstyle to Ryan Whitney. I have been, and will continue, to compare Ryan Pulock, to Al MacInnis.

I don't think you can compare their perceived drops; Fowler was on a strong team but had some concerns about various things. Pulock is on a poor team but has been a standout for them, mainly being surpassed due to the team he's on, as well as the higher amount of talent around him in the draft.
Interesting...now compare Pulock 2013 to Mike Green 2004.

Two years prior to draft (Pulock 2011, Green 2002)
Pulock: 63 games, 8 goals and 34 assists [8th on team] (32-31-0-9 team record)
Green: 62 games, 3 goals and 20 assists [11th on team] (27-37-5-3 team record)

One year prior to draft (Pulock 2012, Green 2003)
Pulock: 71 games, 19 goals and 40 assists [4th on team] (39-28-0-5 team record)
Green: 72 games, 6 goals and 36 assists [5th on team] (40-27-5-0 record)

Draft year (Pulock 2013, Green 2004)
Pulock: 49 games, 14 goals and 28 assists [1st on team] (21-34-3-2 team record)
Green: 59 games, 14 goals and 25 assists [2nd on team] (7-52-11-2 team record)

Green was 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in scoring among defensemen on his team. Pulock is 1st, 1st, and 1st.

Also notable is that Green was born Oct. 12 of the preceding year, so he was 19 at the start of the first NHL season post-draft. Pulock was born Oct. 6 of the preceding year, so the same would apply.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Interesting...now compare Pulock 2013 to Mike Green 2004.

Two years prior to draft (Pulock 2011, Green 2002)
Pulock: 63 games, 8 goals and 34 assists [8th on team] (32-31-0-9 team record)
Green: 62 games, 3 goals and 20 assists [11th on team] (27-37-5-3 team record)

One year prior to draft (Pulock 2012, Green 2003)
Pulock: 71 games, 19 goals and 40 assists [4th on team] (39-28-0-5 team record)
Green: 72 games, 6 goals and 36 assists [5th on team] (40-27-5-0 record)

Draft year (Pulock 2013, Green 2004)
Pulock: 49 games, 14 goals and 28 assists [1st on team] (21-34-3-2 team record)
Green: 59 games, 14 goals and 25 assists [2nd on team] (7-52-11-2 team record)

Green was 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in scoring among defensemen on his team. Pulock is 1st, 1st, and 1st.

Also notable is that Green was born Oct. 12 of the preceding year, so he was 19 at the start of the first NHL season post-draft. Pulock was born Oct. 6 of the preceding year, so the same would apply.
Excellent breakdown.

On paper, I know everyone thinks we are set on defense and need nothing but forward prospects ... but I'm telling you, this kid is my dark horse for this draft. Every year there seems to be one guy that gets overlooked for whatever reason, but Ryan Pulock is a special player. Whether or not we draft him, I would feel safe guaranteeing that this guy turns into a very good NHL player. Draft him with a second or third first round pick and you now have someone that can naturally play the right side with Ryan Murray on the left.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Excellent breakdown.

On paper, I know everyone thinks we are set on defense and need nothing but forward prospects ... but I'm telling you, this kid is my dark horse for this draft. Every year there seems to be one guy that gets overlooked for whatever reason, but Ryan Pulock is a special player. Whether or not we draft him, I would feel safe guaranteeing that this guy turns into a very good NHL player. Draft him with a second or third first round pick and you now have someone that can naturally play the right side with Ryan Murray on the left.
Out of the D-prospects (Jones, Nurse, Risto, etc.) Where would you put Pulock?

Old
02-19-2013, 09:26 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Excellent breakdown.

This is how I feel about Pulock as well. Haven't heard a single negative thing about him. If we pick between 6-10, this is who I want. Amazing to think we could take him in that range.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

(Post #10,000. Now I know how Kristian Huselius feels.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Out of the D-prospects (Jones, Nurse, Risto, etc.) Where would you put Pulock?
If I were to go by the Howson pattern of drafting, it would probably go:
1) Jones
2) Pulock
3) Ristolainen
4) Nurse
5) Zadorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
This is how I feel about Pulock as well. Haven't heard a single negative thing about him. If we pick between 6-10, this is who I want. Amazing to think we could take him in that range.
That's the crazy thing about this draft. Someone like Pulock could go anywhere from 5-15, and if he goes at 5, that means that someone like Monahan, Barkov, or Lindholm is falling out of it.

Closed Thread