HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
This is amazing, but I wonder if NHL defensemen would allow him to do this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
I'm guessing TSN has its hilite of the night with this Jonathan Drouin shift. *******/13EJeWc

Old
02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Of course, you always go for the lower risk pick if they have equal ceiling. I just don't want us to take any player in the first two rounds who doesn't have top line or top pair ceiling.
I agree.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post

He looks like Gretzky out there! The first move on the right side boards isn't going to happen with NHL defencemen, because they won't turn their backs on you, but Drouin does so much on that one shift— you can tell he is outsmarting the other players and not just using a couple canned moves. Even in the NHL, it would take a double team to contain this guy.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Of course, you always go for the lower risk pick if they have equal ceiling. I just don't want us to take any player in the first two rounds who doesn't have top line or top pair ceiling.
All I have to say is: good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post

Nope. NHL defenders would have planted him after the first "dipsy doo".

Those of us who see junior hockey on a nightly basis see this kind of stuff fairly often - especially with top prospects. It's usually not so flashy, but we see guys burn defenders and out-work people like that all the time. I remember one shift a few years back, when Collin Long played for Kelowna. He dominated a shift like that, looked off one of the top penalty killers in the league, came across the middle and roofed a shot. It's part of the reason I love watching junior hockey!

Old
02-25-2013, 01:26 AM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Could you just imagine a 1st line like this within 3 years?

At first I had Barkov at center because hes younger and bigger than the rest, but them I watched Drouin videos, hands of gold...does this kid **** gold to?!!

Last edited by BoonesJenner: 02-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 05:58 AM
EspenK

Hopefully not - one small forward and two nobodies

Old
02-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Hopefully not - one small forward and two nobodies
I fixed one for you, stew, but couldn't do anything about your ghost center.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 02-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 08:12 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Blues fan just coming in to say that if you guys do land #1 overall this year, it won't be due to "tanking". Your guys seem to play a good, tough, team game every night I've been watching. Here's to hoping the rangers and LA stay down in the rankings, although LA is starting to climb.

I'm not sure why I do this to myself though. I pulled for the Preds to get better about 5-6 years ago and then we became their doormat for a few years. No fan-base should have to endure this long of a bad stretch though. Hopefully this draft is the next step in the right direction.

P.S.
We still get to win a cup before you guys, so don't get too carried away, ha.

Last edited by HANDZ 57: 02-25-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Stretch Factor

I've mentioned this before, but I'm interested in one wild card pick with our first 4. I was originally thinking a small speedy sniper, but Nichushkin would be fine with me in the right spot. I would not take him above #15 though.

If we were to somehow get 2 picks in the top ten and then another in the 15-20 range, I could see taking Nichushkin with the 15-20 pick.

The silver lining to Nichushkin staying in the KHL for a few years is it would put some distance between rookie contracts. Under the scenario above I could see a possibility of three or four players (draft picks plus Jenner and Murray) on our 2013-14 roster being in the first year of a rookie contract, which means they'd reach RFA the same year. That could be a very expensive Summer.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Saad Panda

I forgot I posted my thoughts about when to take Nichushkin in here. I recall being slightly (okay.. maybe a little more than slightly ) intoxicated that night. Seems I've unknowingly started a nice topic for debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This is my point also. Hunter Shinkaruk will likely still be on the board in the range being discussed, and I personally think he's being terribly underrated. I'd much rather have a guy that's at least already playing on this continent, and may have as much high end potential.
Don't get me wrong, I have Shinkaruk in my top 8. I think perhaps other players have surpassed him in the rankings only because he's been on the radar longer, and I don't think he'll drop out of the top ten when the draft occurs even though he's been ranked out of there recently. Under my scenario (one of our picks in the top 8 and LA around 10), I'd be led to believe that Shinkaruk will already be off the board by LA's pick (if this isn't the case, Shinkaruk is my guy 10/10 times if available with our second pick).

Now say our pick is, oh I don't know, Sasha Barkov at 4. Following him are, let's say, Lindholm, Monahan, Shinkaruk, Zadorov, and Pulock in no particular order. Let's also say New York's pick is 25, just to make it easy. I think it could potentially be a very savvy move to take Nichushkin right there at 10. I know it's easy to make the link, especially right now, but Tarasenko turned out to be a genius pick by Jarmo, even if it took a couple years. There's not a team in the league that couldn't use Tarasenko, and unless there are character issues that I am missing with Nichushkin, I'd trust Jarmo with such a player again, even if he isn't an immediate help. We'd already have Barkov (or whoever) in the fold and another pick that could net us a guy like Ryan Hartman, or someone who drops (Mantha? My God if we could get Mantha with NY's pick I'd be doing cartwheels).

But it's difficult to predict the draft. Maybe Lindholm drops, maybe Monahan drops, etc. I see the concern with the KHL contract, but I don't think he'll drop too too far because of it with the reward Tarasenko has provided the Blues. I would have been concerned doing this with Howson in charge (no offense to Howson), but I believe Jarmo would be able to take the bull by the horns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Blues fan just coming in to say that if you guys do land #1 overall this year, it won't be due to "tanking". Your guys seem to play a good, tough, team game every night I've been watching. Here's to hoping the rangers and LA stay down in the rankings, although LA is starting to climb.
I was about to post something like this as well. What I like about this team is that even though we're not winning, we're playing pretty close games and we're competing most nights. Our downfall has been a lack of primary scoring, and though we may finish bottom 2 or 3, I don't think it will be as deserving as last year. Once we get a boost from a Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, etc. I think we'll see a team that can win a little more next season, and the year after that hopefully our other picks will be ready to step in as well and move us closer again.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
BoonesJenner

Man i'd hate to be the one who has to chose who to take at 3. Jones and Mac will go 1-2 without a doubt, but to have to decide between Drouin and Barkov, impossible

Old
02-25-2013, 01:48 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Man i'd hate to be the one who has to chose who to take at 3. Jones and Mac will go 1-2 without a doubt, but to have to decide between Drouin and Barkov, impossible
I'd probably lean toward Barkov, just based on size, I don't know how many smaller players we can afford to carry. Drouin seems to have the skills to overcome any perceived lack of size, but the two of them may be ranked close enough to make that difference a more significant factor than it might otherwise be.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I'd probably lean toward Barkov, just based on size, I don't know how many smaller players we can afford to carry. Drouin seems to have the skills to overcome any perceived lack of size, but the two of them may be ranked close enough to make that difference a more significant factor than it might otherwise be.
Barkov is also younger, but will his game translate to the NA rink? If you put Drouin on a international size rink how would his play change? Will Barkov be able to adapt? Also will JK be TOO harsh on barkov since he is a Finn? Im really curious to know what JK thinks of him.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
JacketsFanWest

I can see Drouin being drafted before Barkov and Barkov dropping only because on draft days, GMs can easily look at CHL prospects and project what type of player they will be because they're far more familiar with those leagues and have seen similar players. Scouts can rave about Euros (ie Anze Kopitar), but there's more doubts and the past few years, the Euros have tended to drop more than the prospects playing in North America. With Jarmo in Columbus, that may change things.

Drouin has the advantage in skill and speed/quickness. He's smaller (just how small we have to wait to find out at the Combine), but he's flashy and smaller players can do fine in the current NHL.

Barkov is bigger, great defensively, great on face-offs. He's not as fast and he's not as flashy.

I could see some GMs projecting Barkov as a 1st line center and others thinking he could just be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center, while Drouin has top 6 forward or bust potential, depending on if he adapts to the NHL.

With MacKinnon, Drouin and Jones, the playoffs and Memorial Cup are going to be crucial. They're playing against a lot of very poor teams during the season and defensemen that are nothing more than human pylons, and it's going to be interesting to see how they perform going up against the top teams in in the playoffs. A good performance could push Drouin up to #3 or even past MacKinnon or Jones.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Barkov is also younger, but will his game translate to the NA rink? If you put Drouin on a international size rink how would his play change? Will Barkov be able to adapt? Also will JK be TOO harsh on barkov since he is a Finn? Im really curious to know what JK thinks of him.
Drouin looked pretty good on the big ice at the last WJC.
And Barkov actually is Russian He was born and grew up in Finland, but I remember his father playing against Galchenyuk's father at the USSR championship. He speaks perfect Russian and we already have a big Russian community on the ream. I'm sure he will adapt just fine.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:40 PM
BoonesJenner

NHL.com 3 mock drafts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=87146

Quote:
Kimelmans Mock #1

2 COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
SKINNY:
Gifted offensive talent ready to bring his dazzling skill set to an NHL top line

10 Columbus Blue Jackets (from LAK)
Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas (SWE)
SKINNY:
Playmaker with great skating ability and vision already excelling in Swedish Elite League

17 Columbus Blue Jackets (from NYR)
Mirco Mueller, D, Everett (WHL)
SKINNY:
Smart puck-mover played alongside Jackets prospect Ryan Murray early in the season
I like this one for CBJ except instead of the Dman, I take Erne or Domi. Leaning torwads Erne as he fits our style a little better.

Quote:
2 COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
SKINNY:
Extremely skilled with elite skating ability and knack for making spectacular plays at top speed

Mirco Mueller, D, Everett (WHL)
SKINNY:
Swiss rookie has impressed with intelligence and an ability to challenge and deliver open-ice hits

Max Domi, C/LW, London (OHL)
SKINNY:
Son of former NHLer Tie has solid skill set, great instincts and hands, and makes teammates better
Why does everyone think we need MORE defense?!

Quote:
2 COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
SKINNY:
Premier skater who has all-star written all over him

Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
SKINNY:
A 6-foot-5 center who can dictate the play and work in any situation

Max Domi, C/LW, London (OHL)
SKINNY:
Unlike his father Tie, Max has enormous offensive upside and is improving every game
thoughts?

Last edited by Samkow: 02-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
Drouin looked pretty good on the big ice at the last WJC.
And Barkov actually is Russian He was born and grew up in Finland, but I remember his father playing against Galchenyuk's father at the USSR championship. He speaks perfect Russian and we already have a big Russian community on the ream. I'm sure he will adapt just fine.
Thanks! I did not know that. I knew drouin did well at the WJC, but that's interesting about Galy and Barkov. The reason I want Barkov is not only can he finnish(see what I did there ) he seems to be a helluva playmaker. But so does Drouin, he seems to have hands of silk that draws defenders leaving others open. But then again so does Barkov.

So I guess it comes down to speed vs size? The combine will be interesting, if drouin tests well and shows he has a lot of strength, I could see him passing barkov.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Kev22

I'm for whatever improves our goal scoring skill. Hard work should already be a characteristic of whoever we draft. At this point, we're guaranteed at worst the second pick. Depending on how things shake out, do we package the two lower picks and try to trade up and draft another potential impact winger to pair with MacKinnon.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
thoughts?
Don't post the whole article next time.

Thanks.

02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I'm for whatever improves our goal scoring skill. Hard work should already be a characteristic of whoever we draft. At this point, we're guaranteed at worst the second pick. Depending on how things shake out, do we package the two lower picks and try to trade up and draft another potential impact winger to pair with MacKinnon.
in a picture perfect world, LA finishes bottom 10 and NYR bottom 14, we get MacKinnon, shinkaruk, nischukin (sp?). But its not likely. But in all honesty I think Shinkaruk is the PERFECT linemate for any of Mackinnon, Barkov, or Drouin(theres no way we don't end up with 1/3 of them)

Old
02-25-2013, 02:56 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Don't post the whole article next time.

Thanks.
I almost didn't, but it helped make sense as to why we took who we did, when we did. But thanks for the headsup

Old
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=87146

I like this one for CBJ except instead of the Dman, I take Erne or Domi. Leaning torwads Erne as he fits our style a little better.

Why does everyone think we need MORE defense?!

thoughts?
We could use a shutdown guy and I like Mueller, but not at #17 and certainly not at #10. I'd like him with our second round pick.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
We could use a shutdown guy and I like Mueller, but not at #17 and certainly not at #10. I'd like him with our second round pick.
Ive been thinking about it, and if we trade a guy like wiz or tyutin I could see us taking him.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Mueller that high? He's been rising fast, eh? Would rather have Hägg/Nurse/Zadorov.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
thoughts?
I'd rather they focus on top forwards in the 1st round, since odds are there are going to be some defensemen that drop to the 2nd. Two of the mocks have Ristolainen at #5, the other at #30. Hoffner doesn't have Robert Hägg at all in the 1st round. Morreale doesn't have Zadorov in the first round.

What I'm really surprised is that Wennberg isn't in the 1st round of any of those mocks, when he's been moving up on all the other rankings, and André Burakovsky hasn't really proven he's a top 15 pick this season. Wennberg had a goal and an assist today (30 points in 42 games).

I hate being a total homer and hyping every DIF prospect, but... Wennberg is awesome.

His goal from today:
http://www.sportklipp.nu/vod/?vid=yg...&sw=440&sh=240

Closed Thread