HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stolen from the Sens Board...What do ya do for a living??

Old
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
duckchobbins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
You got that right...

We tried for a year and a half before we got Nicolas (our soon-to-be-5-yr-old) At one point we just said "Screw it - we'll stop trying for a bit" and BOOM...

With Sophie (10 months) we had to go the scientific route... But the cool part is where you typically get an ultrasound picture at like 10 weeks... We have a picture of her at 8 cells... so that's kinda neat!

Oh - and plus she's pretty cool too. Plus she's WICKED cute - with her little round head!

Amen. Four rounds of the "scientific" route paid off for us too I think our first pics were at 3 cells, maybe 5...I forget, we have so many pictures from pre-transfer I'm mixing up which round is which!

Congrats. Glad the journey yielded you such a beautiful result

Last edited by duckchobbins: 08-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.
duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I should have added and emphasized that it's not nearly as cool as it sounds. I'm a "suit". But, I do often get to work with, and for people, who I consider to be genuine heroes. Assassins, no. Those are considered to be the "BG's", or the bad guys.
Depends on who they are taking out!

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Goom 35

I'm a director/storyboard artist in Animation.

I have lived in LA for sixteen years and became a Kings fan but the Bruins will always be #1 by a wide margin.

Still, I can't believe both teams won Cups back to back. Good times!

Goom 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:47 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Same deal here Wally. I did nothing beyond vocational high school. I started out here in assembly. With the background I had (electrical & instrument repair) as well as what I had learned about the product on the job I was able to work my way into an entry level position in the engineering department.

My dad never finished high school and by the time he was in his 50's he was a shop manager at a tool and die company. Man those days are lost. Now it's all about what school you went to and what was your GPA. Don't get me wrong, I think advancing ones education is great, but it shouldn't be essential to ones success.
Actually,school and GPA are trumped by internships. College students should do their best to work at jobs in their field while in school. Working at pocket money jobs and getting As won't help during job search as much as experience.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Actually,school and GPA are trumped by internships. College students should do their best to work at jobs in their field while in school. Working at pocket money jobs and getting As won't help during job search as much as experience.
Spot on.

Excellent grades + relevant work experience will put you ahead the pack.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Joe Zanussi

Elementary school principal.....very happy husband and father of 3. Bruins have been a wonderful part of my life.

Joe Zanussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zanussi View Post
Elementary school principal.....very happy husband and father of 3. Bruins have been a wonderful part of my life.
great to hear- but why Joe Zanussi? just curious

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Joe Zanussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
great to hear- but why Joe Zanussi? just curious

As a kid, I distinctly remember my father telling me that Zanussi was the key to the trade....he loved him...thought he was tougher to play against than people thought and the world didn't recognize it. Frankly, I don't know if that's true or not, but I like to think so.

Joe Zanussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
I tried and tried to get a demand planning position at Bauer as a backup in case I couldn't get a job in the financial sector but I never heard backl from anyone throught networking and through applying.

oh well.
I would LOVE to do this job for any hockey company. It would be much more exciting

I joined the USA Hockey group on LinkedIn, I may check there for some opportunities in the future.

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:23 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Consultant.

The primary focus of the firm who employs me is homeland security, federal, state, and local law enforcement. Sometimes the military. Sometimes even private security contractors.

Frankly, a little reluctant to answer w/ some of the attitudes I've seen in here over the years in regard to some of the above entities. But, there you go, that's what I do.
TSA needs some advice badly.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
stick9

Quote:
Not if you suck at it. I say that because I've had 3rd year engineering students in here trying to cut 14 gauge wire with scissors.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not if you suck at it. I say that because I've had 3rd year engineering students in here trying to cut 14 gauge wire with scissors.
Students on internships are gaining practical experience and showing employers if they are trainable and compatible. A student gaining experience in the field beats the A student working at Starbucks. 60 Mins just did a piece on 4 students from Harvard,Stanford and 2 other top colleges. They were tops in their class in grades and all 4 failed to land jobs in their fields. They all returned to college for higher degrees and internships. Your engineering students will never cut wire when they are engineers,doesn't sound like a fit. GE and many other blue chip companies offer internships for engineering students and many secure jobs for life.

In my field (aircraft maintenance and avionics),I've had young kids come out of school that I would swear would never cut it,and develop into top technicians. Some just need time,but we're always looking for 2 years experience minimum on heavy jets. The transcripts they provide look great,but then the resume will list a littany of non technical jobs. Experience rules.

Last edited by BNHL: 08-08-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Get someone from Northeastern! You have 6 months to train them. haha.

I graduated in 2010 (Civil Engineering) and I don't know of anyone in my class who was not working by the end of the summer (though some went to grad school).

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

While we're (kind of) on the subject...

I hate how grad school has become the default for people who either can't get a job right out of school or don't want to yet. I laugh heartily when someone spends 2+ years in a graduate level program having no experience in wha tthey are studying, enter that field, and absolutely hate it. Grad school is meant for those who have practical experience and can apply that to their studies. It's become a cop out, and I hate it.

I would say "no offense" to those here who may have gone this route, but I'd be lying.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

I hate how grad school has become the default for people who either can't get a job right out of school or don't want to yet. I laugh heartily when someone spends 2+ years in a graduate level program having no experience in wha tthey are studying, enter that field, and absolutely hate it. Grad school is meant for those who have practical experience and can apply that to their studies. It's become a cop out, and I hate it.

I would say "no offense" to those here who may have gone this route, but I'd be lying.
At least in the sciences you can get it paid for + a stipend. I knew someone who graduated with a degree in communications (with debt) then went to get her masters in more specific communications? (more dept).

Old
08-08-2012, 02:45 PM
ez42x10

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

I have a friend who been a perpetual student and always complains about being broke. She's 37.

ez42x10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Get someone from Northeastern! You have 6 months to train them. haha.

I graduated in 2010 (Civil Engineering) and I don't know of anyone in my class who was not working by the end of the summer (though some went to grad school).
I think Northeastern was a pioneer in the trimester/internship path of higher learning. My best buddy graduated in 1978 from Northeastern after a 5 year EE program that he interned with GE. He's still with GE 35 years later.

In my case I graduated with a 3.88 GPA from Wentworth and a BS in Avionics and both my FAA mechanic licenses. I was 3rd in the class and it took 8 months to land a related job.The 2 top guys ahead of me landed jobs immediately with Federal Express and Delta Airlines. They both had mechanical backgrounds,I didn't.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
late to reply to you but very interesting. I have also worked for a company that is in your field. I was with them for 5 years prior to my current job for the past 3 1/2. Beacon Partners.
I know of Beacon Partners. When I changed jobs last year, I considered going the consulting route, and they had hired one of my colleagues a long while back.

Now, with the EHR market being what it is, I get at least one cold call (usually email) a week from recruiters for a myriad of consulting firms. It's good to feel wanted, but being a road warrior isn't really in my immediate future...

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
where did you get transferred to? I had some friends get transferred to Dease Lake --like to see you top that in BC!
Anahim Lake...birth place of Carey Price, so I am a Bruins fan and a cop here...I am not too popular! Haha lucky I am an easy going cop

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:56 PM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Congratulations on your new baby
thank you very much!

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Jeff077

Purchasing & Traffic Co-oridunator @ Central Wire Industries, Perth, Ontario

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
I think Northeastern was a pioneer in the trimester/internship path of higher learning. My best buddy graduated in 1978 from Northeastern after a 5 year EE program that he interned with GE. He's still with GE 35 years later.

In my case I graduated with a 3.88 GPA from Wentworth and a BS in Avionics and both my FAA mechanic licenses. I was 3rd in the class and it took 8 months to land a related job.The 2 top guys ahead of me landed jobs immediately with Federal Express and Delta Airlines. They both had mechanical backgrounds,I didn't.
Wentworth is a great school as well, in some ways it is picking up some of what Northeastern has lost. NU is still strong in professional majors but has dropped many, if not all of it night bachelors programs (how is anyone supposed to get a B.S. in engineering today without taking 2 years off?)

IMO, the new president, who was from the liberal arts school in Southern California is bringing the University down. He is trying to make the school like BU which would be a huge mistake. Too much focus on liberal arts. Blah.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
HockeyMomx2

Now I do accounting for a Nissan dealership. Am hoping to make the move over to the Finance Dept. sooner rather than later. Formerly, was a Sr. Paralegal in a Boston law firm, however one can only get so many guilty criminals sent home and break up so many families before they reach their breaking point. Good part was I made excellent money, but the hours were long, the commute was horrible and the lack of sleep due to my conscience eating away at me forced me to walk away.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Dfresh429

Undergrad Admissions Counselor at a midsize state university.

Dfresh429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
HockeyMomx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
At least in the sciences you can get it paid for + a stipend. I knew someone who graduated with a degree in communications (with debt) then went to get her masters in more specific communications? (more dept).
That's the degree my daughter is going for, but she does at least already know the specific area she wants to focus on, and will at least be receiving the majority, if not all, when all the bidding wars are over <grin>, of the funds from the school to go to where she ends up so it's all good from my perspective. LOL

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote