HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stolen from the Sens Board...What do ya do for a living??

Old
08-07-2012, 01:23 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Aircraft Maintenance Foreman for United Airlines at Logan Airport. 26 years in,6 1/2 to go......

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:24 PM
LucicIsABeast

Tax accountant working downtown. Do all types of returns. Unfortunately the wear and tear of a couple busy seasons a year are guaranteed to shorten my life expectancy.

LucicIsABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I always wondered what industries still worked downtown, good to know.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez42x10 View Post
Cool, one of these days I'll start messing around with it. It's gaining popularity so I better get on the ball sooner rather than later.

Also, am I the only one thinking that we could piece together a pretty serious HF/Bruins start-up after reading this thread?
Yeah, RoR has been up and down in popularity. It really ushered in the era of MVC frameworks (thankfully), but kinda got lost among all the others that borrowed/copied/stole from it. But, it's certainly making a comeback now.

Many years ago, the Bruins board created their own fantasy league (HFL) with a draft and everything. I tried making a website for the team (I believe) Bruwinz and I shared, but I was a horrible wannabe developer. I could barely understand HTML at the time. It'd be interesting to try it again, now that I know what I'm doing.

I'm not much of a front end developer. I have the aesthetic capabilities of a blind gnat, but I'm good with the back end.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:30 PM
ez42x10

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
I'm not much of a front end developer. I have the aesthetic capabilities of a blind gnat, but I'm good with the back end.
That's where my brother/partner comes in. He makes them pretty, I make them work.

ez42x10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by en12384 View Post
I work at a gm dealership as a tech(mechanic)

i like what i do but i dont like the way the industry is heading in terms of being paid. Also i dont want to have my body broken down by age 40. The stigma from the public gets exhausting too.

I am now 28 and i am looking to change my career, possibly go to college for engineering (dont know what discipline yet)
A lot of construction companies hire in house mechanics. It might not be a change in your line of work, but you won't have to deal with the public and there would be opportunities for advancement outside of being a mechanic.

One of our crew supervisors started as a mechanic and worked his was up. If you are mechanically inclined enough to fix a car, I am sure you could fix a pump or weld some pipe.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez42x10 View Post
I would tell you that none of it is as difficult as it sounds, but if I started convincing people of that Nightslyr and I would be out of work.

In all seriousness, a lot of the complexity depends on the site in question. For a lot of small businesses, if there's no e-commerce component, something like WordPress with a custom theme is enough. For something more involved, it's usually a question of pre-made CMS with a custom addon or two vs. all custom code.

I, personally, like to write custom code. I've generally hated working with pre-made software, and typically find myself thinking of ways I could do it better. That said, it's a cost/value assessment for the client. Why pay me (or anyone) thousands to reinvent the wheel (as warped and rusted as it may be) if a few hundred spent on coaxing an existing wheel into shape will result in something about as good?

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Heh....where to begin

I am an office manager for a podiatrist, I run his ship fairly soup to nuts; medical coding, scheduling, some of the billing, patient liason, reminding him he has a haircut appt. Two private offices and a couple clinics+ some surgery stuff

and if ferrence the finger's org would get on the ball and stop changing my coding amounts arbitrarily, I'd be much happier. hoping this gig goes full time eventually.

I still do a few shifts at the woman's fitness facility in town...i do correspondence/marketing/press liason.

freelance photographer for a local paper.
creative/fine art photography on my own; about to have a show at a local business and also start a line of note cards and a local gift store with my flower photography.<ethereal divide> (pawning my website www.sumkovi.smugmug.com )

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

Techie, here. I'm not sure what my title is these days, but I think it is something like "Principal Systems Engineer". As to what I actually do: I write scripts, aka "automation", in Perl/shell/Tcl that helps with the administration of a very large UNIX environment (~7-8K servers).

(got 2 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat)

Am also an "advanced amateur" photographer

Last edited by Spoked-B: 08-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BruinsPortugal

Database Manager/Data Analyst. I just started working 3 months ago and i already need vacations, true story!

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ez42x10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post

In all seriousness, a lot of the complexity depends on the site in question. For a lot of small businesses, if there's no e-commerce component, something like WordPress with a custom theme is enough. For something more involved, it's usually a question of pre-made CMS with a custom addon or two vs. all custom code.

I, personally, like to write custom code. I've generally hated working with pre-made software, and typically find myself thinking of ways I could do it better. That said, it's a cost/value assessment for the client. Why pay me (or anyone) thousands to reinvent the wheel (as warped and rusted as it may be) if a few hundred spent on coaxing an existing wheel into shape will result in something about as good?
I couldn't agree more. I'd much rather write all of the code myself but I usually can't justify recommending that to a client when I can get the same thing accomplished for them with an off the shelf solution with a few tweaks. What I do sometimes though is if they only need to be able to update a few small pieces of the site themselves, I'll build them a little mini-CMS myself just for those pieces and make the rest of the site static.

Of course a lot of the time, they'll come to me for updates to the "mini-CMS" piece anyway.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:44 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Awesome stuff here. I'm interested to see what banalpie does.

For me? I'm a digital media planner at an ad agency in Boston. The very agency which created the Bruins, 'Hockey Rules' campaign with the bear.

Nice to see a fellow Bruins fan in the advertising world.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
Database Manager/Data Analyst. I just started working 3 months ago and i already need vacations, true story!
Its August, isn't the entire month in Portugal devoted to ferias?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Its August, isn't the entire month devoted for ferias?
Not for trainee's!
My boss will give me a few days off though.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

This place is very tech-heavy. I suppose I'm not really surprised.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Professional message board troller

As for a title I'm the VP of Data Solutions.

As for what I do, I work at a Marketing Agency in the digital realm on an internal platform that provide analytics for online media (along with integrations to all sorts of other platforms and media results- tv, radio, print, social, etc). I come from the data side of things (we're one of those 'big data' groups with over 1/2 a billion new interactions tracked a day), mingle in BI and lead a team that develops solutions for clients. So things like dashboards, attribution analysis, social media sentiment, campaign optimization, etc, etc, etc.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:59 PM
patty59

Cowboy

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:59 PM
ez42x10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUser View Post
Professional message board troller

As for a title I'm the VP of Data Solutions.

As for what I do, I work at a Marketing Agency in the digital realm on an internal platform that provide analytics for online media (along with integrations to all sorts of other platforms and media results- tv, radio, print, social, etc). I come from the data side of things (we're one of those 'big data' groups with over 1/2 a billion new interactions tracked a day), mingle in BI and lead a team that develops solutions for clients. So things like dashboards, attribution analysis, social media sentiment, campaign optimization, etc, etc, etc.
Did (do) you ever do any work on Netezza appliances?

Old
08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
BklyNBruiN

I work at Bloomingdale's. Corporate Sales Dept. Also I'm finishing up my associates degree in Network administration, this month actually. ;=)

I always wanted to be a Bank Robber tho.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

college student

full time F.B.I.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
OrrCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Can I call ya re: starving student and hooking up financial options to keep me from eating Kraft Dinner 7 days a week during the school year???
Hey why not. You are probably in close enough proximity to wrap a note around a stone and throw it to me. Kraft Dinner.....OMG I hear ya. Not much consolation I know, but I still eat it frequently.

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Director of Manufacturing for BioTech company.
Been here 18 years. In this field for 30 years.

Have one kid starting College end of this month Also twins starting High School end of this month.

So hopefully I can stay gainfully employeed another 6 to 8 years to get all into and mostly through college. Then looking to retire/work part time somewhere.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Merk57

I'm an Electrical Generating Systems Technician..work on alot of standby generators and prime power generators the oil field.

Merk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
crime fighter- and dog walker (btw- is it me or do female dogs smell a lot more than male dogs? mine will sniff every flower, every bush, and only takes a break for a squirrel or rabbit sighting-drives me nuts)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
crime fighter- and dog walker (btw- is it me or do female dogs smell a lot more than male dogs? mine will sniff every flower, every bush, and only takes a break for a squirrel or rabbit sighting-drives me nuts)
My dad told me a story when I was a kid, as to why dogs greet each other by sniffing each others butt. Once upon a time there was a dog party, and as every dog entered the dance, they handed there coats in at the coat check. All of a sudden there was a ruckus of sort, and as the dogs hurried out, they just grabbed any coat. Most of them grabbed the wrong coat! And well they sniff each others butt to see if that's there coat.. Sniff Sniff is that my coat?
Is that why Pop? I believed him.

Last edited by BklyNBruiN: 08-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.
BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote