XO

vCash: 500
Wonderful Madrid

Old
08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Crazy last five minutes there. Could have gone either way.

Old
08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Disappointing to not win the cup but the 2nd half was so much better

Rather lose this one than the league

Old
08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Shocking first half.
Much better 2nd half.

At least they got a wake up call. Better get it now than in La Liga.

Old
08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
I hope we learn from what happened today, much better effort 2nd half

Old
08-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

vCash: 400
Tito had some questionable subs. Not sure what he was thinking putting on Tello and taking of Pedro or he was trying to accomplish taking biscuits off for song.

On the bright side Montoya was one of the best players for barca when he came on. Wonder what could've been if he started over Adriano, also anyone know why alves didn't play?

As bad as the defense was and they were **** both goals could've been stopped VV. mascherno had rare off game but really worried about pique. It's going to be a long season if he doesn't get his act together or Puyol needs to stay healthy.

Old
08-29-2012, 06:49 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
also anyone know why alves didn't play?
He got injured during the warm up

Old
08-29-2012, 07:11 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

yes !!!!

Old
08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

On a side note, I think Tito is a great coach, but why the bleep is he sticking with Tello ?

Old
08-30-2012, 02:27 AM
les Habs

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Madrid get a total of 4 goals in the competition and we give them 3 of them.

First half was poor for the first half hour or so. The team lacked urgency on and off the ball. Really frustrating watching the players waiting for the ball to come to them or just being too casual on the ball. Xavi in particular frustrated me as had some poor giveaways. They started to calm things down a bit though in the latter minutes of the half. It was interesting too because we've seen this before. Madrid go really intense for a period, but can't maintain it the whole match. And as was discussed earlier in the week, saw Ronaldo huffing and puffing some in the latter part of the first half.

Second half we were better. Didn't even look like we were down to 10 men at times, though the lack of an attacker was all too apparent. Still the team created some good chances and we were unlucky not to get a goal from Pedro's effort. I just have to wonder how it would have turned out had we not gone a man down. Anyway, the team even pressured them into injury time as Messi's last gasp attempt nearly stole it.

Tough match for Mascherano. Horrible on their first goal and lazy on their second. Still had some other nice defensive plays which will probably go unnoticed. And when Khedira went into the box Mascherano couldn't do much as he was already sitting on that yellow card. What I really liked was his passing from the back. Both Sanchez and Pedro's runs through their defense were met with perfectly weighted balls over the top from Mascherano. Adriano was poor. I've heard some criticism of Tito for Adriano starting, but he had a good first leg and I doubt many if anyone would have approached the starting XI differently. Still you can't get sent off like that, even if Madrid can get away with similar fouls all day long. I was disappointed with both Xavi and Iniesta. The former had some cheap giveaways and should have taken more control of the match while the latter needed to dribble a bit more to try and break down their defense. Can't forget Valdes either. IMO can't blame him on the first goal even if it was right at him, but he should have done better with their second. Pique should have stuck with Ronaldo and Mascherano was way too slow getting back, but still Valdes should have done better with that one. On the flip side he had some big saves that kept us in it and his critics should note that as those are the sorts of saves he never gets credit for. Positive notes for me were Alba for a start. He's excellent in multiple respects going forward and he was solid defensively. Really helped give us some width and an option going forward at times and we could have used more of it, but he can only do so much. Messi was good and that freekick was incredible. He had some great passes though. Just wish he didn't come back so far as often as I've been seeing of late, but tonight was understandable being down to 10 and Xavi not being his usual self. Liked Pedro as well, though would have liked to have seen more of him. On his breakaway chance his first touch was absolutely world class. Also though Montoya did well in a such a big game like that. Did well on both sides of the ball. Oh, and Song looks like he'll fit in well. Passing and passing rhythm was spot on and he did well setting up Messi in the dying moments.

While it probably didn't affect the outcome of the match, the ref was ****. Amazing what Madrid players get away with. At least five times they pulled Barça players back by holding their arms or whatever and the ref didn't even signal advantage. Ronaldo even held Pedro back with both of his arms in his face and nothing. And that dirty thug Xabi Alonso got away with whatever he wanted. Kicked Xavi twice while he was down and the ball was NOWHERE near and got nothing. On the foul that lead to Messi's goal he pushed Xavi down from behind. At halftime they showed the box seats and Rosell looked pissed as Perez was trying to convince him of something. Don't know what that was about.

Last edited by les Habs: 08-30-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old
08-30-2012, 02:36 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The funny thing is that even down to 10 Barca are dominating the ball. Game's certainly not over.
That's what I thought at about that time. It took a bit longer than normal since emotions were high, but you could see that we could still pull it out and that was before Messi's goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Tito had some questionable subs. Not sure what he was thinking putting on Tello and taking of Pedro or he was trying to accomplish taking biscuits off for song.

On the bright side Montoya was one of the best players for barca when he came on. Wonder what could've been if he started over Adriano, also anyone know why alves didn't play?

As bad as the defense was and they were **** both goals could've been stopped VV. mascherno had rare off game but really worried about pique. It's going to be a long season if he doesn't get his act together or Puyol needs to stay healthy.
Didn't agree with the Pedro sub either, but Tello does get behind defenses just like he did countless times in the Clasico we lost last season.

Song for Busquets I was fine with. Only thing I think they should have done different there was get Iniesta forward more and have Xavi and Song as the primary midfield.

Tough to fault Tito though as he had to make a sub after Adriano got sent off and I think that he made the right move then.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Are you ****ing serious with the refs, Les Habs ?

The refs sucked, but they didnt benefit Madrid

And what about Pepe's disallowed goal?

Old
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

It was foul... he pushed Mascherano 2 times

Old
08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Are you ****ing serious with the refs, Les Habs ?

The refs sucked, but they didnt benefit Madrid

And what about Pepe's disallowed goal?
I said it likely didn't affect the outcome of the match, but it was clear who was getting away with what.

at Pepe's goal. Vicktors already answered.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Here's how I see it:

1) Madrid adapt their style of play in order to win. It doesn't matter if they play beautiful fluid football or use their size and physicality to overmatch opponents. They are the best counter-attacking team the world has probably ever seen and have the depth and talent on the roster to just about crush anyone on their best days. A juggernaut in every sense of the word, especially with Mourinho at the helm.

2) Barcelona are loyal to ONE style of play at all times.This system is the envy of the footballing world and has consistently worked for Barca for over the last 4-5 years. They develop and sign players who they think will fit and thrive in this system. Under Tito it doesn't look like much is going to change.

3) Over the course of the Supercup Barcelona gifted Madrid chance after chance. Valdes' follie, Pique's poor form and Mascherano's uncharacteristic missteps sealed the win for an opportunistic Madrid.

As cule, Barcelona need to really clean up their defense. Puyol is rusty and on his way to retirement, Pique is not the player he was 2 years ago and Mascherano is not a natural CB (although he's done admirably). Fontas isn't the answer, Bartra needs some more seasoning and after that they can maybe use Busquets or Song to plug the whole. In my opinion this is just bad team management. There was an unquestionable need to find a CB for the last 2 years. Chygrynsky was an expensive flop and they never signed anybody else. David Villa and Cesc Fabregas cost the team about 80 million euros, both incredible luxuries to have yet they sit on the bench. Clearly their priorities are not right.

I'm tired of seeing Cesc lose his confidence on the bench and it pains me to see David Villa be a second option. Yes, I know he's coming off injury but he's too good to not be the centerpiece of some teams attack. With Messi, he's a support player.

All in all I don't think Barcelona are in crisis. I think this is just a wake up call and a natural learning opportunity. It's great to develop your own players, it's great to follow your teams philosophy and it's great to play attractive football, BUT it's also important to correct any weaknesses the team may have and understand that you can't win everything.

Congrats to Madrid and I'm glad things didn't turn into a circus like last year. For some reason I think that Mourinho and Tito don't have as much hatred for each other as Mourinho did for Guardiola and vice versa.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Here's how I see it:

1) Madrid adapt their style of play in order to win. It doesn't matter if they play beautiful fluid football or use their size and physicality to overmatch opponents. They are the best counter-attacking team the world has probably ever seen and have the depth and talent on the roster to just about crush anyone on their best days. A juggernaut in every sense of the word, especially with Mourinho at the helm.

2) Barcelona are loyal to ONE style of play at all times.This system is the envy of the footballing world and has consistently worked for Barca for over the last 4-5 years. They develop and sign players who they think will fit and thrive in this system. Under Tito it doesn't look like much is going to change.

3) Over the course of the Supercup Barcelona gifted Madrid chance after chance. Valdes' follie, Pique's poor form and Mascherano's uncharacteristic missteps sealed the win for an opportunistic Madrid.

As cule, Barcelona need to really clean up their defense. Puyol is rusty and on his way to retirement, Pique is not the player he was 2 years ago and Mascherano is not a natural CB (although he's done admirably). Fontas isn't the answer, Bartra needs some more seasoning and after that they can maybe use Busquets or Song to plug the whole. In my opinion this is just bad team management. There was an unquestionable need to find a CB for the last 2 years. Chygrynsky was an expensive flop and they never signed anybody else. David Villa and Cesc Fabregas cost the team about 80 million euros, both incredible luxuries to have yet they sit on the bench. Clearly their priorities are not right.

I'm tired of seeing Cesc lose his confidence on the bench and it pains me to see David Villa be a second option. Yes, I know he's coming off injury but he's too good to not be the centerpiece of some teams attack. With Messi, he's a support player.

All in all I don't think Barcelona are in crisis. I think this is just a wake up call and a natural learning opportunity. It's great to develop your own players, it's great to follow your teams philosophy and it's great to play attractive football, BUT it's also important to correct any weaknesses the team may have and understand that you can't win everything.

Congrats to Madrid and I'm glad things didn't turn into a circus like last year. For some reason I think that Mourinho and Tito don't have as much hatred for each other as Mourinho did for Guardiola and vice versa.
Madrid played really well, but they could only sustain that level for part of the first half. On top of that we gave them their goals. They did however create some other great chances, but they failed to convert them. They're a great side, but they're overrated.

As for Barça, what exactly would you do? Where would you slot in Villa and Cesc? Or are you suggesting we sell them?

Old
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Madrid played really well, but they could only sustain that level for part of the first half. On top of that we gave them their goals. They did however create some other great chances, but they failed to convert them. They're a great side, but they're overrated.
Spoken like a true Cule.

Quote:
As for Barça, what exactly would you do? Where would you slot in Villa and Cesc? Or are you suggesting we sell them?
They can't be sold, especially for the price we paid to get them. Nobody is going to pay HALF for either Cesc or Villa. Personally I would change up Barcelona's attack to feature both players and give opponents different looks. This is akin to a boxer switching to southpaw mid match. When Messi is off or needing a break I would play him deeper and have him feed Cesc in his natural attacking mid position. Just in front of him I would put David Villa in his natural poaching position. Having Messi deeper in midfield would allow those two more space up front to do their thing. You still have Iniesta, Xavi, Thiago and/or Busquets pulling the strings from midfield. It's almost science.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Villa isn't the 2nd option, he's like the 3rd or 4th one, I'd be furious if I were him

Old
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
Villa isn't the 2nd option, he's like the 3rd or 4th one, I'd be furious if I were him
Villa AND Cesc.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:24 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
I said it likely didn't affect the outcome of the match, but it was clear who was getting away with what.

at Pepe's goal. Vicktors already answered.
Viktor is wrong

It was a double flop

Old
08-31-2012, 12:27 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Spoken like a true Cule.
Well seriously. I mean we gave them that trophy and took the game on with only 10 men.

Quote:
They can't be sold, especially for the price we paid to get them. Nobody is going to pay HALF for either Cesc or Villa. Personally I would change up Barcelona's attack to feature both players and give opponents different looks. This is akin to a boxer switching to southpaw mid match. When Messi is off or needing a break I would play him deeper and have him feed Cesc in his natural attacking mid position. Just in front of him I would put David Villa in his natural poaching position. Having Messi deeper in midfield would allow those two more space up front to do their thing. You still have Iniesta, Xavi, Thiago and/or Busquets pulling the strings from midfield. It's almost science.
They can be sold and we could easily get back half for Cesc and possibly even Villa. the problem with Cesc would be where he'd be willing to go.

I wouldn't change up the attack at the moment to accomodate either of them, especially Cesc. I would give them opportunities, but atm neither of them warrants a starting spot. IMO Villa should get more shots, but he still doesn't deserve to be a starter atm.

Sounds like a diamond midfield with Villa up top and Messi... floating in midfield. Personally I'd keep the same tactics and just add a player or two with different attributes. I think we need another dribbling threat who can also pass the ball and score goals. IMO Hazard or Neymar are that guy and so that leaves Neymar. I'd also go for a CB with some pace on top of the usual attributes and that was probably Thiago Silva. Then I'd use Mascherano more as a DM, especially against the likes of Madrid and call it a day. Either way I think some serious decisions need to be made about the attack next Summer. Tello can go, Afellay too and if Villa doesn't produce offload him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
He shouldn't be. Besides, is he even fully fit? I can see him being pissed about Tello, but no way he should start over Pedro right now. IMO same for Sanchez, but I can see a bit of an argument there.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:31 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Viktor is wrong

It was a double flop
Well it was funny because Mascherano comes back after the first push and Pepe just pushes him down from behind again. Not as funny as Messi going shoulder to shoulder and Pepe going down or when Messi and Pepe's shin's clashed and Pepe was all hurt.

Pepe looked like he was going to get sent off in the first half. He just looks mental.

Speaking of Madrid nutcases, Marcelo had a great first half and didn't play all dirty like he normally does.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

vCash: 400
Mr.Irreverent you're an incredibly harsh man. Barca are 5 points up already in La liga and out played Madrid by far for the majority of the 2 legs. Uncharacteristic, errors cost them the trophy. Barca are far from a crisis. The only thing that bugs me right now is missing out on Aguero for Sanchez(iirc they wee bought in the same summer) and Pique's play other than that Barca are golden. Cesc's play doesn't bother me as FCB don't need him to win any trophy, he can just ride the bench. With Thiago getting the green light today, I think it will be few and far inbetween starts for Cesc. I believe in Villa to regain his form.

The main issue is finding Masch a partner at CB. Pique's head/heart is with Shakira. Puyol is an injury waiting to happen, the only 2 left is Song and hope that Bartra can mature fast.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:47 AM
les Habs

Have a look at somebody's face.

Closed Thread