HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov's Interview to Sport-Express.ru on 11/9/2012

Old
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Bryzgalov's Interview to Sport-Express.ru on 11/9/2012

I posted the preview for this interview in Bryzgalov's thread.

Below is a full interview, please enjoy:

Iliya Bryzgalov, who went back to the USA while the Russian national team is on Eurotour, gave a phone interview to Sport- Express. ru

Q: Iliya have your parents and your wife changed their attitude toward you giving interviews? (As you remenber, Bryz declined an interview earlier this month stating that his wife and his parents had forbidden him to do so)

IB: Well, I hope you realize it was just a joke, a “chip”, if you will. And I hope that people with a sense of humor took it for what it was.

Q: It was quite witty. But, it is really necessary to communicate with press, despite our, or sometimes your, complexes.

IB: Absolutely agree. I am always ready to talk hockey. Truthfully, in North America, the press is spiteful, but they write mostly about hockey, and they come to you with stats and numbers (although they analyze them from a certain angle).
Unfortunately, it seems to me, that some of our Russian journalists are not even interested in hockey. Some of them live in their own, removed from the sport world. They write their non-hockey related articles, and they invent some plots and theories. In other words, it’s some unclear stream of conscious. And this stream, in my opinion, does not work for our game or our hockey. I am sorry, but that’s reality. That’s why I have decided that these people in their strange world will have to do without me and my comments.
What’s most insulting is that their writing does not help us to represent Russian hockey. Russia has an excellent league- KHL. The last time I played here before the lockout was 2000; it was different hockey here back then. Now the level is the highest! And, frankly, in the beginning I was not even ready to such level of competition- I would let 4 goals in. My game has improved by November.

Q: That’s a critical self assessment…

IB: That’s the only way. If one considers himself a professional, he has to look for limitations in his game in order to continue moving forward.

Q: Well, the Russian National team coaching staff did find limitations in your game. Vladimir Myshkin, the goal keeper coach, said that you are not at the level of the national team yet. The head coach, Bilyaletdinov, echoed Myshkin, although you were considered to be the main candidate for the Olympic team just about a year ago. Were you upset with change in coaches’ inclinations?

IB: (Laughs) I do not even know what to say. I am not a 20 year old anymore to get upset about a few lines in papers. As for the coaches, one must always respect their opinion. I will work my hardest to prove my worth to both the National team and the CSKA. And then we will see.

Q: It seems that your personality suits the previous National coach better, but nevertheless you have been a very active support of the coach Bilyaletdinov.
IB: It’s not right to compare coaches in the interview. I stay with my opinion that Bilyaletdinov is an excellent fit for the job. And the last world cup proved it.

Q: Let’s switch gears from the national team to the club. How do you feel in the CSKA?

IB: Very comfortable. We have an excellent club, where everything has been working well- from locker room to the front office. I am very happy with the team! Not sure, they are happy with me though (laughs).

Q: The head coach gave you chances to start your KHL endeavor against best teams- “Traktor” and “SKA”. They scored 4 goals a piece on you. Looks like you were thrown under the bus…

IB: So what? I do not see anything fishy here. My job is simple- get an indication from the coach and then block and catch pucks. It does not matter who we play- world team or a peewee league team.

Q: Anyway, your adaptation to the KHL was not easy…

IB: First, hockey on a bigger rink differs greatly from the NHL hockey. Secondly, there are fewer shots in Russia than in the NHL. Mostly pass play here to get the shooter in front of the net. That’s why I have to change my technique here. But the adaptation will end soon. I hope I will be able to help the club after the Eurotour break.

Q: What else was surprising to you in the KHL?

IB: When I played for Lada about 10 years ago, there were 5-6 teams that contended for the cup. The story is much different now – even the last team is capable of contending. In this regards, KHL is reminding me of the NHL, where there is almost parity among 30 teams.

Q: Another team mate from the NHL Michael Grabovsky is evidently happy with you. He confessed that you had sent him to the Moscow planetarium….

IB: (Laughs) Michael is confused. I advised him to go to the center where cosmonauts have been training for the flights. The cosmonauts get into really good shape in a very limited time there. That’s why I had suggested that he go there. He, as well as other NHL players, did not have a pre season. By the way, I should have gone there as well. I would, probably, have adapted faster to the Russian hockey.

Q: Have you noticed that both North American and Russian press like your statements about space, flights, and planetariums?

IB: (Laughs) I feel like journalists are bored at times, so I have to entertain them. But seriously, I do not see any sense to be locked up in the hockey shell. I am very interested in many things- philosophy, history, and space exploration. I am trying to connect journalists to these things.

Q: The NHL and NHLPA have been in constant negotiations lately. Do you feel that a resolution is near?

IB: No, I do not feel that way yet. The union has been informing us about negotiations. There were no indications yet, so I will concentrate on the CSKA for now.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I like this interview from Bryz. Thanks for translating!

He sounds really relaxed and he seems to be taking his poor play to heart. Hopefully he is really working hard to be sharp if we ever have a game 1

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Ryker

Thanks for the translation, it was a fun read.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
CSN, Tim P.:

Quote:
To say Ilya Bryzgalov is unhappy with his sojourn overseas in Russia might be an understatement.

From the start, nothing has gone right for Bryz, who was 2-4-0 with a 2.92 goals against average and an .891 save percentage as of Wednesday, with CSKA. In short, he’s been getting ripped regularly in the Russia media.

After a 6-2 rout of Amur on Nov. 2, despite the easy win, he took his frustrations out on a reporter from Sportbox.ru after the game.

Q: Can you talk about the win tonight?

A: What do you want me to say? You've been writing filth about me and now you are asking for an interview. Go look around; there are so many good players. You can go talk to them. Why me? In reality, my wife, Zhenya, forbade me from giving interviews and so did my parents. If you call them in Togliatti and they give you their permission, then I might do it. Do you think I'm joking? No, I'm not joking in this case. I am telling the truth.

Q: At least share your impressions about the game.

A: What impression are you talking about? I didn't have to work hard. Even my uniform is dry. You can touch it yourself if you want just to make sure.

Incidentally, one of proposals in the new CBA talks is an amnesty clause where clubs could lose a contract without penalty. Get it off the cap, forever.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...289&feedID=695

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Tim P. is reporting old news.
Actually, he could have interviewed Bryz himself (instead of relying on somene else's translation of the Russian site), since Bryz was (and still might be) in the USA for a visit with the family for the duration of the Eurotour break in the KHL.

Incidently, Tim's and Frank S. (from Daily News) translation looks very simmilar to mine (posted in All-Purpose Bryz.. thread on 11/3/2012.)

Last edited by CSKA1974: 11-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
BigPapaSmurff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Tim P. is reporting old news.
Actually, he could have interviewed Bryz himself (instead of relying on somene else's translation of the Russian site), since Bryz was (and still might be) in the USA for a visit with the family for the duration of the Eurotour break in the KHL.

Incidently, Tim's and Frank S. (from Daily News) translation looks very simmilar to mine (posted in All-Purpose Bryz.. thread on 11/3/2012.)
I wouldn't put it past either of them.

Excellent work!

BigPapaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaSmurff View Post
I wouldn't put it past either of them.

Excellent work!
Thank you!