Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

International perception of the games?

Old
08-07-2012, 09:23 AM
buzzbee

vCash: 500
International perception of the games?

Being a London boy myself, now living just 20 miles out of London, I am loving the Olympics and very proud of the job we have done.

However, I am wondering what the perception of these Olympics is from abroad?

The last Olympics were spectacular and it was always going to be a tough job to top them. However, I am enjoying these Olympics far more. BUT (And its a big but), I am British and this is our Olympic games. It is impossible NOT to look at things through rose coloured spectacles.

Here in the London area, you cannot move for news of the Olympics and it seems really spectacular. It is also helped by the fact that our little island is 3rd in the medal table. We are having a very good Olympics, which has really put the feel-good factor into our nation and is surely clouding our view of how good the games really are

So, my point is simple What are your perceptions of the games?
Have they been a success so far?
Do you think we have put on a good show?
Has feedback from competitors in the media been good?
What did you guys think of the opening ceremony?

I wonder how much international views might vary from mine here in the UK

buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I've enjoyed the venue, but a big reason for that is tennis is one of my favorite sports and how can you have a better setting for that than the All-England Club? Having the olympic tennis at Wimbledon really did elevate it to something closer to a "5th Slam" than it otherwise would have been.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Melrose Munch

Many have said this was the best ever, I know I feel that way. I have see every event and enjoyed it at least once. I only wish I was competing.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
TheSituation

They've been good. No major gaffes. Not a lot of controversy. The venues are great. The UK should be proud

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:35 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
They've been good. No major gaffes. Not a lot of controversy. The venues are great. The UK should be proud
You're so wrong

The preparation for the games was pretty awful especially the G4S saga

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Yoshimitsu

I think London has done a good job. The Opening Ceremony probably didn't compare to Beijing on a technical level, but it was still entertaining to watch while being uniquely British.

I've also been impressed with the crowds at most of the events, especially for Athletics, despite there being some examples of venues at less than full capacity.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The ticket situation is one of the things they've handled the worst. They are more concerned with "fairness" by having their country quotas and whatnot, than actually having full venues. I do understand some of the principle behind it, trying to have a diverse representation of nations in the audience, but there needs to be some sort of compromise. Why not release all unsold tickets on the day of the event for purchase on a first-come, first-served basis, after having given ample time for countries to buy up their quotas? Also, the massive blocks of empty seats from where corporations bought huge blocks of tickets they didn't use are an eyesore. One solution here would be to re-sell those tickets if, at the start of the event, the ticket holder has either not shown up or not checked in using some online system or something that indicates they are coming. Finally, for sports like preliminary round women's football games between nondescript teams, they should just be giving the tickets away or selling them for a nominal price. It's embarrassing to see stadiums that are almost entirely empty and make the game have the feel of a practice session.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
-boxing controversy
-badminton controversy
-reffing in the CAN/USA soccer game

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
-boxing controversy
-badminton controversy
Yeah, I think the sacred IOC "ideals" on sportsmanship and integrity have taken a hit. Shocker there....

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 08-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Make

Finnish road cyclists praised the atmosphere on the roads saying it was one of the best they've experienced.

All athletes interviewed on Finnish tv have praised the atmosphere in the Olympic stadium. The stands have been full even in the morning sessions. Home team's great success in track & field has been impressive.

There have been some questionable refereeing decisions but that's hardly London's fault.

Very good so far I'd say. Much more "down to earth" feeling than in Beijing.

Make is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:30 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Yeah, I think the saced IOC "ideals" on sportsmanship and integrity have taken a hit. Shocker there....
don't get me wrong, I think the games have been great regardless. all the venues are top-notch and the coverage in Canada has been fantastic

the three examples I cited arent really on London, more so the IOC cause it could happen at any games

Old
08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
TheSituation

Quote:
-boxing controversy
-badminton controversy
The Reffing wasn't controversial. And two instances isn't a lot.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:43 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
The Reffing wasn't controversial. And two instances isn't a lot.
you're not going to chance anyone's opinion on the reffing in that game, so I really don't know why you keep commenting on it

Old
08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TheSituation

Quote:
you're not going to chance anyone's opinion on the reffing in that game, so I really don't know why you keep commenting on it
It was used as a point to refute my post. That's the only reason I brought it up.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
A "controversy" requires a decent number of people to actually be discussing it and treating it as an egregious error or example of malfeasance.

The only people I see complaining about the reffing in that game are some butt-hurt fans of Canada who don't appear to follow football/soccer regularly and thus have no perspective on what controversial reffing in that sport actually means.

This isn't the NHL where fans argue incessantly over whether or not a penalty should have been a 2 minute minor or a 5 minute major.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

I'm just glad they don't spend every 5 minutes talking about a British landmark.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
The venues have seemed nice, but there have been a lot of hiccups that should've seemed easily avoidable (a la having a teenager handling the clock in fencing). Other controversies too, like in boxing and badminton, but can't really blame the host venues for players/Olympic officials messing up.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:59 PM
NMF78

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbee View Post

So, my point is simple What are your perceptions of the games?
Have they been a success so far?
Do you think we have put on a good show?
Has feedback from competitors in the media been good?
What did you guys think of the opening ceremony?

I wonder how much international views might vary from mine here in the UK

The opening games were entertaining for the most part, not as impressive as Beijing but that was expected. The venues are very nice but again not as impressive or esthetically pleasing as in China, compare for example Bejing's Watercube to London's Aquatic Center. There have been some issues like the empty seats in some stadia and people wanting to get tickets but not being able too, don't know if this has been adressed.

All in all London as done a good job.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
zorz

I've read from quite a few sources that it's more like military practice than a sports event. Almost all athletes I read some interview with say it's more bound than games in China.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

As an American, the only real complaint I have is with how NBC has covered it. I just follow everything via social media and are on a glorified gag order with the family at night in terms of Olympic stuff. Overall, I'd say a B+.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

One thing I'd like to know... They always play this Spanish jingle at beach volleyball followed by the crowd saying "ole" no matter who is playing...why is that?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:09 PM
BMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I've read from quite a few sources that it's more like military practice than a sports event. Almost all athletes I read some interview with say it's more bound than games in China.
Well rather that than suffering a terrorist attack. We are still high on the list anyway. Better safe than sorry.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
buzzbee

Thanks folks. I guess what I read into those comments is that we haven't quite matched up to Beijing (No shame in that. I think they did a pretty spectacular job), but that the general perception seems to be that we have done a pretty good job.

I know I won't forget these Olympics in a long time :-)

buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
CF

After the way The British media unfairly smeared the Vancouver games, I have been hoping for major gaffes since the start. Nothing too major has happened yet but there's still time!

All in all though, the Brits seem to be doing a good job.

CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Truthfully most of the media I have heard speaking poorly about the Olympics has more to do with NBC's coverage than London.

That said, I think they have done really well. The opening ceremony is hard to compare to China's since Beijing went for more aesthetically pleasing while Britain went more British (odd, but still kept me entertained). As for the venues, I can't really tell, but as already noted tennis in London just seems right.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote