Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

International perception of the games?

Old
08-07-2012, 08:43 PM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
Watching the beach volleyball on NBC right now, and the crowds have been awesome there since day 1. Really gets you pumped for a sport I would rarely watch.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Dustin Peener
Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Well rather that than suffering a terrorist attack. We are still high on the list anyway. Better safe than sorry.
Plus it doesn't help that we had to use military and police personnel to make up for the security gaffe.

I was one of the most negative people you could find before the games started, I thought it would be a complete disaster, I must admit I've been very impressed.
However, my view of the country still hasn't changed, I still think it is pathetic and sad that the only things that can bring the people of this country together are sport and military. The Olympics has just proven and reinforced this view for me.

Last edited by Dustin Peener: 08-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I've really enjoyed the games

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Maybe it's because I'm an english-speaking person, and all that, but I can't think of a better City to host the Olympics than London. What a fantastic city, been there once, absolutely loved it, and the way they've put together their venues is awesome. Tennis at wimbledon - beach volleyball, horse jumping in and around the royal venues.

The opening ceremonies were awesome - although I didn't enjoy them fully until watching parts of it over a second time. It's truly fantastic in some ways, and more personable than China's

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:56 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Well rather that than suffering a terrorist attack. We are still high on the list anyway. Better safe than sorry.
does it really help so much to prevent a terrorist attack when you wont let a hurt guy to leave the stadium the way hes not supposed to, so he has to jump more than 100 metres on one leg...

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Canuck21t

I think it's been great so far. The opening ceremony was as good as the Beijing opening ceremony IMO. The Beijing ceremony was more spectacular, but less personal whilst the London ceremony was culturally closer to mine especially musically, and I'm speaking as an Asian who is not unfamiliar to Chinese culture. Let's not forget that Beijing's opening ceremony cost a whopping US$100 million! It cost London's opening ceremony a 1/4 of that price.

The venues looks great also. Maybe the aquatic center is not as nice as the Beijing one, but other than that it's comparable IMO. The crowd seem good and things seem to run smoothly. As an outside spectator, everything looks good. London as done a great job so far.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Jussi
Thank you, Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Watching the beach volleyball on NBC right now, and the crowds have been awesome there since day 1. Really gets you pumped for a sport I would rarely watch.
Add the Athletics crows as well. The Irish fans have been phenomenal in boxing during Katie Taylor's matches as well.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:52 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

vCash: 230
Ive loved them, the only problem I have is with NBC. But that is what the internet and streams are for. I have loved every single Olympics since I have started watching them (Atlanta) had no problems with them.

BlameUtley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Eisen

Great games so far, very cool opening ceremony, I enjoyed it a lot. The German athlete seem to like it there.
The judges and officials are a bit off sometimes though.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

For what it's worth, our reporters have been saying the turnout for "meaningless" group games in teamsports has been amazing - especially for sports not that big in the UK, like handball and waterpolo.

IMO, one of, if not THE best games ever.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Dustin Peener
Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
The German athlete seem to like it there.
The Russian swimmer I spoke to at the airport said he had a good time also

Old
08-09-2012, 06:51 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
I think it's been great so far. The opening ceremony was as good as the Beijing opening ceremony IMO. The Beijing ceremony was more spectacular, but less personal whilst the London ceremony was culturally closer to mine especially musically, and I'm speaking as an Asian who is not unfamiliar to Chinese culture. Let's not forget that Beijing's opening ceremony cost a whopping US$100 million! It cost London's opening ceremony a 1/4 of that price.

The venues looks great also. Maybe the aquatic center is not as nice as the Beijing one, but other than that it's comparable IMO. The crowd seem good and things seem to run smoothly. As an outside spectator, everything looks good. London as done a great job so far.
The opening cost wasn't $25M, it was $42 million.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
coyotesfan119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
A "controversy" requires a decent number of people to actually be discussing it and treating it as an egregious error or example of malfeasance.

The only people I see complaining about the reffing in that game are some ********** fans of Canada who don't appear to follow football/soccer regularly and thus have no perspective on what controversial reffing in that sport actually means.

This isn't the NHL where fans argue incessantly over whether or not a penalty should have been a 2 minute minor or a 5 minute major.
That's what I was going to say. I haven't seen much about the reffing from non-Canadians.

I'd say this has been a pretty controversial-free Olympics if you don't count the security stuff before them.

coyotesfan119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Cyhyraeth's jag hond

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotesfan119 View Post
That's what I was going to say. I haven't seen much about the reffing from non-Canadians.

I'd say this has been a pretty controversial-free Olympics if you don't count the security stuff before them.
Really? Because I've heard of more than a few. But then again, I've watched a lot of the coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...etition_issues

Cyhyraeth's jag hond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:23 PM
SirKillalot
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you're not going to chance anyone's opinion on the reffing in that game, so I really don't know why you keep commenting on it
The call was questionable, but no where near controversial.

The call is actually legit, but not often called because the player obviously tried to protect the body. Very often this is let go, but in this case, the ball was heading towards the net and often plays in similar fashion will get called than if it was going another way inside the area. Ref's tend to let it slide. Kind of an unspoken rule.

When it comes to the Olympics itself. I think it has been great, but maybe kind of mechanical or methodical. I haven't gotten that big Olympic feeling really. I think it's been presented like every sport for itself and not a big tournament.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:22 AM
coyotesfan119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Really? Because I've heard of more than a few. But then again, I've watched a lot of the coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...etition_issues
You realize anyone can create a Wikipedia entry right? And in that entry the only quote comes from a Canadian player. I'm not trying to start a fight, but that's not very strong support.

Like someone else said on these boards, I think it's a cultural thing. Us North Americans seem to scrutinize officiating way more than the rest of the world. I'm definitely not saying it's just a Canadian issue. If the tables were turned you'd see plenty of Americans complaining.

coyotesfan119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:50 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotesfan119 View Post

Well. You've not been paying attention to everyone then.

Yesterday had a controversy in the dressage with (ofcourse) a british woman winning.

I really hate jury sports sometimes.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
The ORB

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Well. You've not been paying attention to everyone then.

Yesterday had a controversy in the dressage with (ofcourse) a british woman winning.

I really hate jury sports sometimes.
I hear you on judged sports, my eldest daughter figure skates competitively.

There have been controversies with British athletes on the wrong end at these games also though. See Vicky Pendleton x2 in cycling and one of the boxing bouts. Mind you olympic boxing judging as a whole is a joke.

The ORB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Dustin Peener
Peng

In professional sport nobody is biased towards or against anyone, officials are human, they can't get it perfectly right every time. The clue is in the name: JUDGE, as in JUDGEMENT.

Except in boxing, there is definitely corruption there, but in the Olympics it isn't a professional sport.

Old
08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
The ORB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
In professional sport nobody is biased towards or against anyone, officials are human, they can't get it perfectly right every time. The clue is in the name: JUDGE, as in JUDGEMENT.

Except in boxing, there is definitely corruption there, but in the Olympics it isn't a professional sport.
Most sports have had corruption in judging/officiating to some degree. Boxing, Skating, Gymnastics, Soccer, Basketball, Cricket etc. I hope this isn't the case in these games, but you never know.

The ORB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post

and wrestling is also obviously corrupted. not even trying to hide it.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Dustin Peener
Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ORB View Post
Most sports have had corruption in judging/officiating to some degree. Boxing, Skating, Gymnastics, Soccer, Basketball, Cricket etc. I hope this isn't the case in these games, but you never know.
But usually when it happens; it is obvious and they are caught. See: Italy domestic soccer

And in most judged sports, they take away the highest and lowest scores to avoid bias.

Old
08-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

Great. With CTV, Sportsnet, & TSN all showing different stuff at all times we really get to see the great action from multiple venues. The only thing lacking is getting another of the CTV network channels to cover more of the non-sporting related stuff going on around the Olympics so we could get a better feel for London. Love that the Brits are owning the podium like never before.

Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:21 PM
blueandgoldguy

London has hosted a good games but not the greatest games ever.

After these games are over that official honor will still belong to Sydney in 2000. All the venues were full, little problems with traffic congestion compared to other Olympics and fewer controversies overall.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:28 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

From a home viewer perspective they have been good (leaving out NBC as the London organizers have nothing to do with that). Then again I visited London a couple of years ago and loved the City. It has been fun because many of the places where they are holding events I have visited and recognized.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote