HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 10:04 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooklyn is not part of Long Island. Our mayor is Michael Bloomberg and we pay our taxes to the City of New York. We are NOT part of Long Island. Never have been. Never will be.
Hey! What's so bad about Long Island?

Technically, Brooklyn is LITERALLY on Long Island. However you are correct, I don't consider Brooklyn part of Long Island just as I don't consider Queens part of Long Island. Nassau + Suffolk = Long Island.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
No it's not.
I think your geography is off.

Brooklyn is on Long Island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

Quote:
Long Island is an island in the southeast of the U.S. state of New York, just east of Manhattan. Stretching northeast into the Atlantic Ocean, Long Island contains four counties, two of which are boroughs of New York City (Queens and Brooklyn),[1] and two of which are mainly suburban (Nassau and Suffolk).

Old
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I think this has failure written all over it like the signing of alexei yashin and rick dipietro did.

You're points are completely spot on. The Islanders must be really banking on the allure of a brand new stadium to attract their fans. Because quite honestly they are not going to be converting rangers fans into islanders fans in that area. Its not like the Nets and the Knicks. Basketball in brooklyn is different than hockey. The Nets can and probably already have converted some knick fans. It also has to do with the fact that the knicks up until the last couple years struggled so dearly. And even when they've made it to the playoffs the quick 1st round exits haven't been too impressive considering all the money they've spent.

But even putting all that aside, like you said ticket prices will not be cheap anymore and they will have to travel a lot further to get to the games. The Islanders are not a winning team. They are a few years away. I guess they are praying that by the time they move in, they are relevant again. I don't know if playing in a new arena in Brooklyn will attract more free agents or now. Bottom line is Islanders fans weren't showing up when tickets were cheap and the Coliseum was smack in the middle of Nassau County; I don't see them showing up in Brooklyn when tickets are more expensive.
The allure of a new stadium only works if the product is good. Take the Mets: the allure of a new stadium did not supersede a lousy product. Add in ridiculous ticket prices and its a disaster.

The hope is probably that they will be in better position to lure free agents. We'll see.

10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Brooklyn is not part of Long Island. Our mayor is Michael Bloomberg and we pay our taxes to the City of New York. We are NOT part of Long Island. Never have been. Never will be.
Of course you are. Long Island is 60 x 120 miles and Brooklyn & Queens are both part of it. Denying it because you live in one of the five boroughs is ludicrous. Type "Long Island" in maps.google.com and tell me if Brooklyn & Queens show up.

City mentality. Gotta love it.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
RFAN

Good for the Fishsticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Isn't Brooklyn on Long Island? I assume they'd keep the same name, NY Islanders.

Just they are playing in Brooklyn on Long Island instead of Uniondale, Long Island.
Was thinking the same thing..

Aside from long timers that have suffered going for years to old crappy stadium, its hard not to think this isn't a good move. Gonna cost more for sure but will be better for team. And in truth a stronger Isles helps Rangers too, puts hockey back in the minds of NY media.

Why the F is Bettman there is mind-boggling. Why Chairlie would want him there is when he trying to put good press out. Really takes away with what should be happy day for team. Bettman is a cancer to the NHL with how he has lead this league. It's just brutal.

Old
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Nobody considers Brooklyn part of Long Island. I grew up in NYC and never heard of this. You guys are reaching. lol.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
I think your geography is off.

Brooklyn is on Long Island.

Obviously Brooklyn is on the island itself but it is not a PART of the "Island" per say. Brooklyn and Queens fall under different jurisdiction. They fall under NYC law being part of the 5 boroughs. Different taxes, different communities/cultures.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Read my post a little closer, and look a the facts. 'Technically' is the important word here.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Of course you are. Long Island is 60 x 120 miles and Brooklyn & Queens are both part of it. Denying it because you live in one of the five boroughs is ludicrous. Type "Long Island" in maps.google.com and tell me if Brooklyn & Queens show up.

City mentality. Gotta love it.
They aren't though and it's not even close. Yes on the map, they are on the island. But like RB stated, they never have been part of what is considered "Long Island." It's a different culture, different taxes, different people.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Reports say it's a 25 year lease starting in 2015. Working on getting a link...
...because Wang's never been burned by a long term commitment or anything.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
Was thinking the same thing..

Aside from long timers that have suffered going for years to old crappy stadium, its hard not to think this isn't a good move. Gonna cost more for sure but will be better for team. And in truth a stronger Isles helps Rangers too, puts hockey back in the minds of NY media.

Why the F is Bettman there is mind-boggling. Why Chairlie would want him there is when he trying to put good press out. Really takes away with what should be happy day for team. Bettman is a cancer to the NHL with how he has lead this league. It's just brutal.
Not sold on this move makes for "a stronger Isles".

Old
10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Nobody considers Brooklyn part of Long Island. I grew up in NYC and never heard of this. You guys are reaching. lol.
It's not a reach, its called geography.

I agree that no one considers Brooklyn a part of Long Island, but technically it is. This is enough to hold the name the 'New York Islanders'

Old
10-24-2012, 10:13 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Well obviously Nassau and Suffolk aren't part of the city, but part of the city is on long island.

I think that's the issue here, but geographically speaking it wouldn't be incorrect to say the Brooklyn Islanders.

But since they are remaining both in NY state, on Long Island, and actually, are moving into the NYC city limits, I see no reason the team can't keep their name the "NY Islanders."

Not the same as the Nets moving from NJ and having to take the name "Brooklyn" Nets.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:18 AM
nevesis

Joe & Evan just said the NHL already mentioned the name will stay as the "New York Islanders"

Old
10-24-2012, 10:20 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why not?

We all know there will never be a new arena build for them where they are, so what choice do they have? Move out of area? Really we have no idea whether team will be managed better but at least they can show a free agent that hey look at where we play and look how close to city you are and maybe that be more of an appeal. Also if they get some buzz from playing there then its a win for them.

Also if Isles can get good deal they should move farm team to old place.

Old
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Joe & Evan just said the NHL already mentioned the name will stay as the "New York Islanders"
I was hoping for 'Coney Islanders'.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Seems kinda stupid

Old
10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Brooklyn is not Long Island. Long Island begins on Queens' eastern border.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
I was hoping for 'Coney Islanders'.
Haha brilliant

10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
Why not?

We all know there will never be a new arena build for them where they are, so what choice do they have? Move out of area? Really we have no idea whether team will be managed better but at least they can show a free agent that hey look at where we play and look how close to city you are and maybe that be more of an appeal. Also if they get some buzz from playing there then its a win for them.

Also if Isles can get good deal they should move farm team to old place.
Because they have moved away from their fan base. They move into a region where there are two other teams within twenty miles of them. And we didn't see a move to Newark do anything to make the Devils stronger. Especially now that they have lost their best player.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Honestly, what do Joe and Evan know? They hardly talk hockey

Old
10-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Geography.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Brooklyn is not Long Island. Long Island begins on Queens' eastern border.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They now play in the (would be) fourth biggest city in the US! How doesn't it make them stronger!?

Old
10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
They now play in the (would be) fourth biggest city in the US! How doesn't it make them stronger!?
How does that make them stronger?

Read the rest of the thread. I've given my reasons multiple times.

Closed Thread