HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I do agree that the Islanders will get a bump for the first year or two.

After that they will go back to being second (or third) class citizens.

But it's silly for any Rangers fans to think that they won't do well for at least a couple of years there.
You know Jonathan, it's time for the Islanders to start gaining respect from hardcore fans such as yourself. I know you'll always distain the Islanders, but they need to start representing themselves with some ****ing class so people can at least RESPECT them.

If Wang wanted to create some momentum, he would get rid of that waste of space Dipietro, hire a real coach and GM, and make a statement.

The time for excuses is over. The Islanders, quite obviously, are being abandoned by the fans they already have. If they want to make a statement for the integrity of HOCKEY in a professional league, they'll start acting like a professional team.

Otherwise, nobody will like them. Even the few who have stuck around. Which is why it's kind of confusing to me why Wang would even bother securing this lease if he has plans of sticking around and running this team. He has done a terrible job, has a record low number of fans at this point... so what is in it for Bettman to have the Isles take place of a team in this league? My idea is that there's more to it, perhaps he'll sell before 2015.

If Wang sells before 2015, then a real chance for the Isles emerges in this market. If not, **** it. I ain't wasting my time.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
You know Jonathan, it's time for the Islanders to start gaining respect from hardcore fans such as yourself. I know you'll always distain the Islanders, but they need to start representing themselves with some ****ing class so people can at least RESPECT them.

If Wang wanted to create some momentum, he would get rid of that waste of space Dipietro, hire a real coach and GM, and make a statement.

The time for excuses is over. The Islanders, quite obviously, are being abandoned by the fans they already have. If they want to make a statement for the integrity of HOCKEY in a professional league, they'll start acting like a professional team.

Otherwise, nobody will like them. Even the few who have stuck around. Which is why it's kind of confusing to me why Wang would even bother securing this lease if he has plans of sticking around and running this team. He has done a terrible job, has a record low number of fans at this point... so what is in it for Bettman to have the Isles take place of a team in this league? My idea is that there's more to it, perhaps he'll sell before 2015.

If Wang sells before 2015, then a real chance for the Isles emerges in this market. If not, **** it. I ain't wasting my time.
I have my doubts that they will ever gain any real respect. I think the best chance you have is to make it up to Devils territory -- where even if you win, no one cares. And I don't think that you guys will ever have the team that the Devils had back in the 90s/00s (too hard to keep a roster like that together, now).

Respect is definitely the key thing. And they certainly do not have mine and most other hardcore fan's respect. It's going to be interesting to see how they try to change that.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I have my doubts that they will ever gain any real respect. I think the best chance you have is to make it up to Devils territory -- where even if you win, no one cares. And I don't think that you guys will ever have the team that the Devils had back in the 90s/00s (too hard to keep a roster like that together, now).

Respect is definitely the key thing. And they certainly do not have mine and most other hardcore fan's respect. It's going to be interesting to see how they try to change that.
The difference between the Devils and the Isles is that the Devils came much later. Most of North Jersey is Ranger territory and a lot of South Jersey is Flyer territory. The Devils have so few fans because of the Rangers and Flyers.

I think the Isles have a much larger fanbase than the Devils, they're just terrible fans who have stopped going to games and supporting their team. If the Isles regained relevance, you'd see those fans crawl out of their dark holes and act like they never stopped supporting the team.

Isles have potential to regain their fanbase (it would be a bandwagon fanbase, but who's gonna complain?), whereas the Devils just don't have a fanbase.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:00 PM
War Admiral

Quote:
I do agree that the Islanders will get a bump for the first year or two.

After that they will go back to being second (or third) class citizens.

But it's silly for any Rangers fans to think that they won't do well for at least a couple of years there.
Fine with me. We've always been 2nd class citizens to the Rags (even during the Glory Years). If we return to that status and win 4 Stanley Cups in a row...so be it...I and all of my Islander brothers and sisters will be ecstatic. Hell...I'll be 1st in line to view the parade down Atlantic Ave!

Bring it!!!

Old
10-28-2012, 03:13 PM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
The difference between the Devils and the Isles is that the Devils came much later. Most of North Jersey is Ranger territory and a lot of South Jersey is Flyer territory. The Devils have so few fans because of the Rangers and Flyers.

I think the Isles have a much larger fanbase than the Devils, they're just terrible fans who have stopped going to games and supporting their team. If the Isles regained relevance, you'd see those fans crawl out of their dark holes and act like they never stopped supporting the team.

Isles have potential to regain their fanbase (it would be a bandwagon fanbase, but who's gonna complain?), whereas the Devils just don't have a fanbase.
This is a totally unfair statement. I'll keep it civil, because this is your board, but no fan of any organization has gone through the turmoil that we Islander fans have endured for the past 3 decades (corrupt cheap ownership, convicted crooks, inept GM's, etc). It's amazing that we have as many fans as we do because I guarantee most teams fans would have totally split if they had to deal with the crap that we have had to deal with. It's been a complete soap opera...a show that I hope concludes when the lockout ends.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
This is a totally unfair statement. I'll keep it civil, because this is your board, but no fan of any organization has gone through the turmoil that we Islander fans have endured for the past 3 decades (corrupt cheap ownership, convicted crooks, inept GM's, etc). It's amazing that we have as many fans as we do because I guarantee most teams fans would have totally split if they had to deal with the crap that we have had to deal with. It's been a complete soap opera...a show that I hope concludes when the lockout ends.
Please, the Rangers went through horrible crap during the late 90s and 2000s. Guess what? The fans kept showing up.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
Fine with me. We've always been 2nd class citizens to the Rags (even during the Glory Years). If we return to that status and win 4 Stanley Cups in a row...so be it...I and all of my Islander brothers and sisters will be ecstatic. Hell...I'll be 1st in line to view the parade down Atlantic Ave!

Bring it!!!
You will be very lucky to win one Stanley Cup within the next 50 years, I would say.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who's to say they fill those seats and suites?

Who's to say they won't? The same Ranger fans who insisted Wang would never move to Brooklyn because it's Ranger territory?

Wang has tremendous incentive to open his checkbook.

The NJ Nets had not played 1 game in their new home, but the press was reporting 2 months ago that the team is now worth roughly $575 million. Thatís 60 percent more than they were valued just last season by Forbes.

Wang's need to sell those luxury suites and premium seating, means he will be opening his checkbook, surrounding his kids with vets more along the line of Ryan Smyth at 30 yrs old, then Doug Weight at 38 yrs old.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
War Admiral

Quote:
Please, the Rangers went through horrible crap during the late 90s and 2000s. Guess what? The fans kept showing up.
Jonathon...you're a smart guy...please don't insult my intelligence. You can not even compare the two scenarios.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
War Admiral

Quote:
You will be very lucky to win one Stanley Cup within the next 50 years, I would say.
Funny...the same thing was being said back in the 1970's. Guess how that turned out?

Old
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Why do Islander fans always bring up 4 cups? Rangers have won well after and annihilated and embarrassed the Isles in the process.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

And in other news: John Davidson has been hired by Columbus to be President of hockey operations. The Blue Jackets just took a big step forward.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...un-hockey-side

Old
10-28-2012, 07:00 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
And in other news: John Davidson has been hired by Columbus to be President of hockey operations. The Blue Jackets just took a big step forward.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...un-hockey-side
Yea, I heard about that the other day. Glad to hear JD found something, but too bad he won't be rejoining Sam (One can dream...right?)

10-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Yea, I heard about that the other day. Glad to hear JD found something, but too bad he won't be rejoining Sam (One can dream...right?)
Always--having JD back would be wonderful. But, I'm glad he wants the challenge of helping the Blue Jackets. The fans there will support a team that gives them hope.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Who's to say they won't? The same Ranger fans who insisted Wang would never move to Brooklyn because it's Ranger territory?

Wang has tremendous incentive to open his checkbook.

The NJ Nets had not played 1 game in their new home, but the press was reporting 2 months ago that the team is now worth roughly $575 million. That’s 60 percent more than they were valued just last season by Forbes.

Wang's need to sell those luxury suites and premium seating, means he will be opening his checkbook, surrounding his kids with vets more along the line of Ryan Smyth at 30 yrs old, then Doug Weight at 38 yrs old.
You really want to compare the value of a nba team vs an NHL team?

I also am not seeing this new untapped market the Islanders think their moving into. Its not as if hockey has not been available to people in Brooklyn.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-29-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old
10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

That Justin Schultz is ripping the AHL.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The Islanders are going to go from making the playoffs 3 times in the last 17 years, to 4 consecutive championships?

LOL

Old
10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Marty Brodeur broke the tip of his finger?

Must have been shoveling food in his face too fast.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-future-of-nhl

Old
10-30-2012, 09:54 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Future NHL?

2 Conferences with 2 divisions in each
4 playoff teams per division
42 inter division games (6x each)
24 games vs other conference teams (3x each)
16 external conference games (1x each)
82 games

Brooklyn Islanders
Carolina Hurricanes
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Mark ham Mounties (formerly Florida)
Montreal Canadians
Ottawa Senators
Quebec City Metis (new franchise)
Toronto Maple Leafs

Chicago Black Hawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
Saint Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Anaheim Mighty Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Las Vegas Jackpot (formerly Phoenix)
LA Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Silver Salmon (new franchise)
Vancouver Canucks

Commissioner - Ken Dryden

Old
10-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Edge

To me the Islanders success has less to do with their fans, or their location. It has everything to do with who is running the team.

Charles Wang doesn't impress me. Garth Snow doesn't impress me. The Islanders scouting department, despite some high picks, is not as good as it needs to be.

Fans will show up if you give them a reason. Unfortunately, the Islanders haven't given people many reasons over the past 20 years.

Success will primarily depend on the Islanders ability to make people believe in them.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:52 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Anyone watch the Subway Super Series game last night? Russia vs QMJHL. Man oh man the Russians looked good. Really really really wish we would have traded up to grab Grigorenko. Guy was head and shoulders better than anyone else on the ice (excluding Yak). I could see him being a 90 pt player.

I think looking back in this Draft, Buffalo will have come out with two gems (Grigs and Gergensons).

Old
11-06-2012, 01:05 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
To me the Islanders success has less to do with their fans, or their location. It has everything to do with who is running the team.

Charles Wang doesn't impress me. Garth Snow doesn't impress me. The Islanders scouting department, despite some high picks, is not as good as it needs to be.

Fans will show up if you give them a reason. Unfortunately, the Islanders haven't given people many reasons over the past 20 years.

Success will primarily depend on the Islanders ability to make people believe in them.
Agree completely.

They need to succeed on the eice. A team with no success in that building will hemorrhage money.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Did you see the Nets drew 14,000 last night? The Nets,Islanders and Devils are the satellite teams. The Rangers and Knicks are the main winter sports teams in NY. How many Nets fans are there in the NY metropolitan area? When Howie Rose was still on WFAN and before he became the Islanders TV guy,he used that "satellite teams" statement. Many of the people in NY area grew up rooting for the Knicks. They are not changing their rooting interest because the Nets moved to Brooklyn. Same thing with the Islanders.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

People in general are fickle.

They'll show up to the new arena because its new.

The Nets won Championships recently.

The Islanders are garbage. And have been for decades. That's not changing right now. How long will that interest last?

Old
11-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
People in general are fickle.

They'll show up to the new arena because its new.

The Nets won Championships recently.

The Islanders are garbage. And have been for decades. That's not changing right now. How long will that interest last?
Unless ABA championships in the 70s count as recent, then the Nets haven't won any championships recently. They went to the finals in 02 and 03, but lost both times.

Closed Thread