HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sid Crosby turns 25 today.. so did he live up to the hype?

View Poll Results: Sidney Crosby: did he live up to the hype?
No 20 6.31%
Yes 282 88.96%
No strong opinion 15 4.73%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-07-2012, 08:48 AM
cassius

vCash: 500
Sid Crosby turns 25 today.. so did he live up to the hype?

Thoughts?

I remember reading a ton of opinions about the guy before he entered the league - now that he's 8 years into his NHL career... whats your thoughts?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Well he is arguably the best player in the world, so i dont know how its even possible to say that he didnt live up to the hype..

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

accidently voted no. of course he lived up to his hype. He has won multiple indvidual trophies, a stanley cup, and scored the game winnng goal in overtime in the olypics to get a gold medal. I think he lived up to it

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Sureves

Of course he did.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Elganja

anyone who says no is just lying to themselves

Elganja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

He's arguably the best player in the league. Constant performer when healthy, carries his team to victories. He's the complete package.

08-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Saku11

Well "the next one" comparisons were too much he isnt responsible for that the least bit. Hate when people try to use it against him.there were predictions that he`d score like 200 in a season by some and some predicted he would be a sixty point scorer.So i guess it depends on who was doing the "hyping"

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:10 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Well "the next one" comparisons were too much he isnt responsible for that the least bit. Hate when people try to use it against him.there were predictions that he`d score like 200 in a season by some and some predicted he would be a sixty point scorer.So i guess it depends on who was doing the "hyping"
Exactly...if he was considered to be best player to play in NHL since Lemieux/Gretzky prime's then he did live up to the hype, but if he was considered "The Next One" then I would say he didn't live up to the hype.

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

He was said to be the best player in the game since Gretz. So yes, he did live up to the hype.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:13 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elganja View Post
anyone who says no is just lying to themselves
Agreed, but only 2 people living in denial, as kingsboy11 already said he voted no by mistake.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
Exactly...if he was considered to be best player to play in NHL since Lemieux/Gretzky prime's then he did live up to the hype, but if he was considered "The Next One" then I would say he didn't live up to the hype.
Why not? Its not like any player could score the kind of points Gretzky did in todays game. Crosby put up 102 points in his rookie season, has averaged 1.4 points per game over the first 7 seasons in the NHL, led his team to stanley cup as 21 yr old and i wont even start going through his trophy case. Its just ridicilous how much he has already accomplished.

You look at Crosby and Malkin. Is it even possible to be a much better hockey player? I can comfortably say that Sid would've scored Gretzky-like numbers if he played in the same era.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
He was said to be the best player in the game since Gretz. So yes, he did live up to the hype.
Are we talking since Gretzky retired? Or since he began his career?

Even if we count since Gretzky retired you'd have a hard time convincing me not to pick Lidstrom.

If we count since Gretz began his career, then well... Mario...... (and a list of others)

Anyways. I would say he lived up to the hype. 100 points in his rookie season? You see people on HFB getting hyped when RNH "almost" puts up PPG in his rookie season, or when Seguin puts up 60 points in his soph season. Sid was already near superstar (mind you, immediately post-lockout was a fair bit higher scoring than it is now, or pre-lockout, so 100 isn't as impressive as it is now).

The only way he can not live up to the hype in terms of career is if he gets even more derailed by injuries. Then again it's not like this is uncommon among elite players, Bobby Orr and his knee injuries... Mario and his back (and cancer).

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:31 AM
lundy

Absolutely, when he's healthy he's the best player in the world. He's won a championship, an olympic gold, a Hart, Rocket Richard and an Art Ross.

Concussions suck. It's not his fault, and honestly, it's not like he has some nagging groin injury or something like that. Concussions aren't to be messed with. He's lived up to expectations, and he's only 25.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Depends what your expectations were. If you were expecting a Gretzky/Lemieux then no he didn't live up to that. If you were expecting the best player since Gretzky/Lemieux then yes he did. He's everything you would want from a player, and his half season in 2010-11 was the best hockey played by anyone since 1996.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Yes.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Devil Dancer

Caps fan saying yes, absolutely. Anyone expecting Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr had unrealistic expectations. At his peak Crosby has been just a tier below the best to ever play the game, so I'd say that's pretty ****ing good.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Absolutely. Better than Petr Prucha, too.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:07 AM
BCShark

best to ever lace them

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Schalkenullvier*

I don't know. Where people expecting more that one hart and one art ross in 8 years back in 2005? I wasn't into hockey then, but for all the saying that he's best in the world (rightfully so), he has not that much individual hardware to show for it.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:19 AM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

yes, as a player no doubt. The best in the game when healthy.

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:27 AM
DG

Can someone explain how he hasn't? He's won it all before hitting the age of 25... Captain of a Stanley Cup winning team, Richard Trophy, Art Ross, Pearson, Hart, Olympic gold medal... Only thing conceivably missing is the Conn Smythe.

Quote:
I don't know. Where people expecting more that one hart and one art ross in 8 years back in 2005? I wasn't into hockey then, but for all the saying that he's best in the world (rightfully so), he has not that much individual hardware to show for it.
Fair, I guess, but I think it's much harder to achieve those things now compared to when someone like Gretzky or Orr played. His peers, relative to Gretzky's, have improved so much. I think it's safe to say that he was expected to consistently be the best player in the NHL and he has easily lived up to that whenever healthy.

And if Sid is able to continue to play like he did in the first half of 2010-2011, he could still have a Gretzky-like career (not stats wise maybe, but as far as his legacy and his elite status among the all-time best).

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Trap Jesus

I'll say no strong opinion. He's the best player in the world but the hype surrounding him was absolutely insane in a sport that seems to hype first overall picks more than most, and I don't know if one MVP/Art Ross/Richard is enough to live up to it yet, even if injuries have played a part in it.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Rexor

Lol at people seriously comparing him to Gretzky. He's more like an even more injury prone Forsberg with a better shot.

It's also dishonest to say he's been the most dominant player since Gretzky/Lemieux as his best season would only count as Jágr's fifth best season.

He was expected to clearly separate himself from the rest of his peers, which simply hasn't been the case. Most of the time, there have been players one could consider better than him or at least on par with him. He has become one of the best players in the world but if the hype was about him being a transcendent or supernatural talent then it didn't happen.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Yep. Won a ton of awards and is certainly in the conversation for being a generational talent.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

As a die-hard Pens and Crosby fan, I'd say his performance has, but his accolades haven't.

Those injuries are really going to have an effect on his legacy unless he remains pretty damn healthy for his rest of his career. He should have at least a couple more Pearsons, Harts, and Art Rosses by now.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote