HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Is the Blue Jacket defense a finished product?

Old
06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

vCash: 500
Is the Blue Jacket defense a finished product?

Just curious, with the drafting of Murray, is our defense now in place for the next 5-10 years? Do we need any serious upgrades? Any major flaws?

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I think the defense has major flaws in that there are way to many offensive minded guys now. I think we need to get rid of Wisniewski and replace him with a defensive defender, we will see, but I think we need to add someone mean back there.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Just curious, with the drafting of Murray, is our defense now in place for the next 5-10 years? Do we need any serious upgrades? Any major flaws?
I move one of Moore or Savard for forward help. It's somewhat difficult to bring along and get proper ice time for 3 young defensemen.

06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
We thought we had a set defense right after the playoff season too.... I'm not rubber-stamping anything as a certainty at defense yet.

We certainly have several long term contracts there, I hope you are right, because if not, we are in trouble.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:16 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
We thought we had a set defense right after the playoff season too.... I'm not rubber-stamping anything as a certainty at defense yet.

We certainly have several long term contracts there, I hope you are right, because if not, we are in trouble.
To be fair, that defense was anchored by a rapidly aging Jan Hedja and a career year from Mike Commodore. Don't think Johnson is going to decline any time soon, and Murray should only get better.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:34 PM
bizzz*

Wiz signed till 2017, Toots and JMFJ till 2018, Methot till 2015. The rest of the defense is on the ELC. I suppose we are set for at least 6 years.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I think the defense has major flaws in that there are way to many offensive minded guys now. I think we need to get rid of Wisniewski and replace him with a defensive defender, we will see, but I think we need to add someone mean back there.
No doubt....We need a hammer (like Reinhardt, Trouba)

We play against the freaking blues, wings hawks etc. They are physical in front.

Murray is the anti Filatov, Zherdev. Smash...no....dash....no. Big shot..no

But he is NHL ready I guess and the bust risk is low. So he should at least be a regular.

I don't blame the CBJ really. Been burnt enough times, time to play it SAFE.

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Stretch Factor

Very hard to say anything is set in the NHL for more than a year or two. Nikitin is not yet signed.
Methot might be traded.
Murray might be the next Rusty Klesla.
Moore might not pan out.
Savard might continue filling his skates with concrete.

Who knows what can happen in the future, but this is by far the best D-corps we've ever had, on paper at least.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Murray can dash for a defenseman. One of the best skaters in the draft period. And he can move people. He won't smash, or shoot hard, but he'll be a great defensive defenseman and good puck mover.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I move one of Moore or Savard for forward help. It's somewhat difficult to bring along and get proper ice time for 3 young defensemen.
I'd move Tyutin. He should net us a defensive blue liner +. We need a guy like Brooks Orpik to complete the defense.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
They're going to have to trade at least one of them. I get the whole "net on out" argument, but 1) even after trading for another goalie today, the net situation is far from certain, even if our D isn't too shabby now and 2) there is no way that Nash is coming back next season, which means we have basically nothing for offense. Combine this with the fact that under the best of circumstances this team struggles to develop players (being nice here), if you've got say 4 guys who are competing for 2 spots, someone's development will be stunted by mathematics if nothing else.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
JacketFanInFL

Maybe not "finished," but it is damn nice to have some tangible depth in the backend.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Very hard to say anything is set in the NHL for more than a year or two. Nikitin is not yet signed.
Methot might be traded.
Moore might not pan out.

Who knows what can happen in the future, but this is by far the best D-corps we've ever had, on paper at least.
True....

I think we can say our forwards though (post nash, post draft now will be)

Hope for a good return....a really good return.

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
EDM

Please trade Methot now.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:28 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

We shall lose all of our games 2-1 now. Assuming Bob is better than Mason and assuming we go into the season with our current lineup.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:31 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

OK, the Hawks got the guy I wanted. Now to hope Subban slides to us at 30-31

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:41 PM
EspenK

I think that while the D, as now constucted, is better than anything we have ever had, I'd like a physical guy like lee suggested (Brooks Orpik) or someone of the same mindset. I guess Wiz can be physical as long as he is not in Shanahan's crosshairs.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:50 PM
blahblah

Nothing has changed from my impression in the off season. This pick may not have any impact for next season and possibly next season. I don't see how this impacts anything as makes us "set" for anything.

How did we even come up with that thought process?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I think that while the D, as now constucted, is better than anything we have ever had, I'd like a physical guy like lee suggested (Brooks Orpik) or someone of the same mindset. I guess Wiz can be physical as long as he is not in Shanahan's crosshairs.
Word is Hjalmarsson is available, he fit the bill for people? He's much more physical than Methot, but definitely less mobile.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Nothing has changed from my impression in the off season. This pick may not have any impact for next season and possibly next season. I don't see how this impacts anything as makes us "set" for anything.

How did we even come up with that thought process?
Funny enough, I was going to ask you the same question.

When I mean set, I mean, is the core there? Sure, there may be some rearranging on the bottom pairing from season to season, but it seems that a core of:

Johnson-Murray
Tyutin-Nikitin

is an extremely solid, set core for the future. Ideally, Moore will be able to step into a top 4 role when Tyutin starts to decline, or Nik fails. But it sure seems that we have a very good 1-2 punch in defense for the next 10 years.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Funny enough, I was going to ask you the same question.

When I mean set, I mean, is the core there? Sure, there may be some rearranging on the bottom pairing from season to season, but it seems that a core of:

Johnson-Murray
Tyutin-Nikitin

is an extremely solid, set core for the future. Ideally, Moore will be able to step into a top 4 role when Tyutin starts to decline, or Nik fails. But it sure seems that we have a very good 1-2 punch in defense for the next 10 years.
Why are you slotting Murray into anything yet? Especially next to Johnson. What happened to Wiz? Slotting Johnson with Wiz is downright scary. Nikitin had one partial year of success and we are already slotting him in for the next decade? I'm am not impressed with our play in the defensive zone, even if our transition is better.

I love how we are talking about players over the next 10 years. That's amusing.

For the next year or two, at a minimum, this pick could very well mean nothing. Since I don't like our current makeup and I'm not counting on Murray to make a true impact for the next two+ years, that would seem to imply that I don't think we should be done yet.

Is this a finished product? Hell no. People are putting the cart well before the horse here.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Methot might be traded.
Moore might not pan out.

I do think Murray will be a KLesla replacement but better... As Blah said not much will change this season but next year Methot will be gone. As for our many offensive defenseman the heat is on Moore....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
Maybe not "finished," but it is damn nice to have some tangible depth in the backend.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:02 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

You guys have the pieces, but it has to mesh.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:43 AM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
You guys have the pieces, but it has to mesh.
Agreed. Which is why I hope Howson isn't in too big of a rush to trade defensemen this summer. I'd like to go into the season seeing what we have and what works then go from there. Then again I'm not expecting playoffs next season so I'm willing to wait. Howson probably is, so it would probably make more sense for him to trade someone this summer for a forward and hope he chose the right dman to trade.
I don't think its a finished product, but it might be good enough that it only requires polishing and no more heavy lifting. Again though, its better to go into the season and see what we really have as opposed to what we have on paper. The defense is now young and there's some real talent. Hopefully thats a good sign for the future.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote