HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NHL on CTV

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2005, 11:01 AM
ColinM

vCash: 500
NHL on CTV

Last Night I was watching ESPN Classic Canada and saw a rebroadcast of a game between Calgary and St. Louis in the 1986 playoffs. I noticed that the game was orginally broadcast on CTV as opposed to CBC. Since CBC has been the only over- the-air broadcaster of hockey for about as long as I've been a fan (since 1990) I was curious when CTV stopped broadcasting the NHL. For those of you who were old enough to remember, how often did CTV broadcast hockey when they had the broadcast rights?

Old
01-18-2005, 11:10 AM

PFFFT...ESPN classic hasn't been showing hockey in the states any longer. Thank god that I have a dish and some teams are showing classic games. The only thing that sucks is that I thought I would be seeing Dionne and Savard but most teams are showing 90's hockey.

Old
01-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Chili

I seem to remember many, many moons ago them having a midweek game, Wednesday nights? That would go back to the 60's/70's. They used to cover alot of international hockey, prior to the days of TSN (early 1980's). I know the 1976 Canada Cup was broadcast by CTV.

Old
01-18-2005, 11:22 AM
mooseOAK*

That's right. Wednesday night was CTV and Saturday night was CBC back in the early '70's. Of course I could never stay up that late on Wednesday anyway.

Old
01-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM
Last Night I was watching ESPN Classic Canada and saw a rebroadcast of a game between Calgary and St. Louis in the 1986 playoffs. I noticed that the game was orginally broadcast on CTV as opposed to CBC. Since CBC has been the only over- the-air broadcaster of hockey for about as long as I've been a fan (since 1990) I was curious when CTV stopped broadcasting the NHL. For those of you who were old enough to remember, how often did CTV broadcast hockey when they had the broadcast rights?
Wow, Canada has it's own ESPN Classic station? So it's basically 24/7 classic hockey?

That is so awesome....

Old
01-21-2005, 07:45 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

CTV also had occasional Sunday games. They featured mainly games between American teams and also Quebec Nordiques who wer partners with Carling (a Molson competitor at the time) and were rarely featured on HNIC.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:38 AM
jiggs 10

I saw many, many Winnipeg Jet games on CTV in the 80's & 90's! It was great! I am sorry that they don't do any more games. Having only CBC HNiC on Saturday nights is not enough. But I guess I should consider myself lucky to have had the chance to see the games I did.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
Wow, Canada has it's own ESPN Classic station? So it's basically 24/7 classic hockey?

That is so awesome....
I wish it were 24/7 classic hockey. While they do show some classic hockey, they show classic figure skating, classic wrestling and classic boxing probably moreso.

And then have a whole bunch of ESPN specials, like NFL greatest games, NBA games and such.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:03 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I wish it were 24/7 classic hockey. While they do show some classic hockey, they show classic figure skating, classic wrestling and classic boxing probably moreso.

And then have a whole bunch of ESPN specials, like NFL greatest games, NBA games and such.
Yeah but I have the NHL NETWORK and its the best hockey channel you could have!! It shows top 10 goals of past seasons, goaltending performances, overtime goals, classic games, classic series and everything you could ask for. I LOVE IT

Old
01-22-2005, 01:43 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
When forsberg scored in the shootout at the olympics that game was broadcasted on ctv.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:09 PM
mcphee

I believe CTV Wednesday night hockey began in the mid 60's. Mtl. and Toronto both had traditional home games on saturday's and it seemd most wed.'s had a Hab/Leaf matchup. Most Thursday schoolyard conversation where about that chicken Shack who ran away from Ferguson or if blue was your favorite color, that b. Ferguson who low bridged Johnny Bower. The matchups at center seemd the same for years. Beliveau/Kelly, Richard/Keon, Backstrom/Pulford. There was some legit. hate going on. Just thinking about it makes me want to cheapshot a Leaf fan.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:57 PM
ColinM

Wow sounds like CTV had a much better sports line-up 10 to 20 years ago.

So here's another question. Do you think that there is more hockey or less hockey on tv today now that we have multiple sports specialty channels in both Canada and the United States. As a fan am I better served today because I can watch multiple games on SportsNet and TSN (or ESPN 2 and FSN if I were American) or would I be just as well off 20 years ago with all the Sports that was on Over-the-air Networks?

Old
01-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM
Wow sounds like CTV had a much better sports line-up 10 to 20 years ago.

So here's another question. Do you think that there is more hockey or less hockey on tv today now that we have multiple sports specialty channels in both Canada and the United States. As a fan am I better served today because I can watch multiple games on SportsNet and TSN (or ESPN 2 and FSN if I were American) or would I be just as well off 20 years ago with all the Sports that was on Over-the-air Networks?

There's definitely more hockey now. Besides the NHL, you never saw CHL or AHL games on TV 30 years ago. And the draft was never televised. You had to wait until Monday's paper to see who your team drafted beyond the first round. It was murder.

Closed Thread