HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues front office layoffs

Old
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
MadDog6

vCash: 500
Blues front office layoffs

Just Twitted by Strickland: Sad to hear of the #stlblues layoffs today. Cuts necessary to get biz structure in order. No cuts on hockey operations side.
July 31, 12:32 pm.

No word on how big and to what areas.

MadDog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:02 PM
a99tobe

I was just over here to see if any Blues fans know what this is about. Saw the tweet, but no articles or anything describing what happened.

a99tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:30 PM
MadDog6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a99tobe View Post
I was just over here to see if any Blues fans know what this is about. Saw the tweet, but no articles or anything describing what happened.
We all knew over here that it was coming from comments made by Stillman but not to what extent. I have some friends in their marketing department and worried what may become of them.

MadDog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I hate to say this, but I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen under Checketts. Usually when your business is losing money, you will try to cut as much non-essential expenses as possible.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
MU_Beerman

Negative publicity might have hurt the sale, so even if he'd wanted to, the last 2 years it wasn't really an option.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I wouldn't go that far. Potential buyers have access the the financials, so they all knew the situation and Stillman knew exactly what was going on.

I just wonder how many ushers they are going to have at games now. One of the most obnoxious things is people going to their seats during play or just standing at the balcony block the play. Although that's been bad for years, I'm just worried it's going to get worse.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:20 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Potential buyers have access the the financials, so they all knew the situation and Stillman knew exactly what was going on.

I just wonder how many ushers they are going to have at games now. One of the most obnoxious things is people going to their seats during play or just standing at the balcony block the play. Although that's been bad for years, I'm just worried it's going to get worse.
Self policing, tbh. Last game I was at there was this drunk group of guys that would keep going entering and leaving during gametime, and after 15 minutes everyone was yelling and I refused to let them by again

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Self policing, tbh. Last game I was at there was this drunk group of guys that would keep going entering and leaving during gametime, and after 15 minutes everyone was yelling and I refused to let them by again
It's just gets old and tiring when you have to do it every game. What is even more amusing is when there actually is an usher and they let them go buy. It's usually not that bad, just annoying.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Oh I completely understand what you mean. At the seats I've gotten recently, theyre have been no ushers.

Definitely not bragging, back row seats, which are awesome anyway so maybe I am...

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

And then when you go to Nashville, and all of their fans understand what it means to wait.

I feel like the 5,000 of us that sat through the horrible seasons should be able to carry a card that allows us to throw those people over the railings.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
This is what I find really sad. Regular people like you and I will lose our jobs so that some millionaires can get an extra $200k-$1m. Think about it.. $1m would cover 20 people's jobs. Every time you see some glorified AHLer in the press box who taking home $700k-$1m just for sitting there, remember all the people like you who lost their jobs.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
This is what I find really sad. Regular people like you and I will lose our jobs so that some millionaires can get an extra $200k-$1m. Think about it.. $1m would cover 20 people's jobs. Every time you see some glorified AHLer in the press box who taking home $700k-$1m just for sitting there, remember all the people like you who lost their jobs.
You must be a Democrat. People make $1 million because they have the skills that the market pays for. Those who are let go aren't providing an essential service.

Equality of opportunity, not outcomes. (too political, I know this is coming down mods - just couldn't resist)

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
The arena is full because a handful of millionaire athletes are showcasing their skills. You can look at the same situation the other direction: they are creating jobs by being here and the team doing well.

Anyway, layoffs are tough and I wish those people all the best. But I think its a stretch to get huffy toward professional athletes. Its our dollars (the fans) that the team is trying to attract by these moves in the first point (making changes to keep the team as competitive as possible). The Blues management had become bloated and too expensive. If nothing changed, it was going to start negatively affecting the on-ice product. I'm just glad they have a new owner who is creating stability for the franchise.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
You must be a Democrat. People make $1 million because they have the skills that the market pays for. Those who are let go aren't providing an essential service.

Equality of opportunity, not outcomes. (too political, I know this is coming down mods - just couldn't resist)
Soooooo......people like Bernie Madoff made their money fair and square? He is not the exception. He is the culture.

Granted, lots of people make a decent buck with hard work and skills, but to whitewash the issue in such stark terms does a disservice to the conversation.

What I find remarkable is "Equality of opportunity", which runs contrary to your assertion and is exactly one of the major problems in this country.

I don't like it that Stillman had to let go of some people, but I do not believe that they do not provide essential services. The organization will make do for the next couple years by over-delegating certain duties across more remaining workers. My guess is that once the finances are solvent some of those positions will reopen.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 08-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Soooooo......people like Bernie Madoff made their money fair and square? He is not the exception. He is the culture.

Granted, lots of people make a decent buck with hard work and skills, but to whitewash the issue in such stark terms does a disservice to the conversation.

What I find remarkable is "Equality of opportunity", which runs contrary to your assertion and is exactly one of the major problems in this country.

I don't like it that Stillman had to let go of some people, but I do not believe that they do not provide essential services. The organization will make do for the next couple years by over-delegating certain duties across more remaining workers. My guess is that once the finances are solvent some of those position will reopen.
Huh? This conversation is going sideways.

My perspective is: The Blues presence in St Louis is good for the local economy. Lots of jobs provided and there are ripples. If laying off a few people helps the team get their books in order and the alternative is someone considering relocating the team, I'm all for a few regrettable layoffs. Net benefit for St Louis.

Its a shame that anyone lose their job, but its also the financial reality.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
ChicagoBlues

What is so difficult to understand about my post?

This conversation was doomed from the start.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
What is so difficult to understand about my post?

This conversation was doomed from the start.
I'm pretty sure when Exec mentioned the people making 1mil, he was referring to hockey players or as the previous poster called them "AHLers" sitting in the press box. Then you brought up maddoff which had nothing to do with the hockey conversation.

edit: at least that was how I interpreted it. Execwrite, correct me if I'm wrong.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I'm pretty sure when Exec mentioned the people making 1mil, he was referring to hockey players or as the previous poster called them "AHLers" sitting in the press box. Then you brought up maddoff which had nothing to do with the hockey conversation.

edit: at least that was how I interpreted it. Execwrite, correct me if I'm wrong.
It seemed like a general statement in reference to intangible's general post. The conversation got sideways when intangible brought up an extremely valid, but off-topic point. Intangible attempted to broaden the conversation. I simply extended that broadened conversation.

In the first place, I'm not so sure that intangible's post is appropriate for the Blues' financial situation. I agree that the Blues need to trim the fat. Once finances are squared away, then they will most definitely rehire.

I don't blame Stillman at all and restructuring is a normal part of business. But the smart ones restructure, shore up finances and invest again.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Wiems35*

I'd love to know when making money became a crime in this country, but to I'll stay on topic. I'm surprised these moves came now and not before the signings of Oshie, Perron, Langenbrunner and Stewart. I assume this is just to give more financial stability for the Blues, but does anyone think there could be a chance of another move?

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:58 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiems35 View Post
I'd love to know when making money became a crime in this country, but to I'll stay on topic. I'm surprised these moves came now and not before the signings of Oshie, Perron, Langenbrunner and Stewart. I assume this is just to give more financial stability for the Blues, but does anyone think there could be a chance of another move?
Move the team? Or another financial move?

Is JD still on the books? That was the other notable change that has been mentioned. I never did hear a resolution on that matter.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:58 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiems35 View Post
Whitewash. Making money is a great thing as long as it is fair and square. There is too much stealing and gaming the system at very high levels. I would more than happy to take this the political forum or to the PM system.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:58 PM
OpenIceHit42

No surprise. Stillman let it be known that he was looking to cut costs so why not cut a few higher dollar employees in favor of a few younger ones who are cheaper and who can do the same job?

I've got a family friend that works in the front office and that's what the water cooler word has been.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Move the team? Or another financial move?

Is JD still on the books? That was the other notable change that has been mentioned. I never did hear a resolution on that matter.
Sorry, I was referring to a trade/free agent signing, which I guess is also a financial move in a way.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Whitewash. Making money is a great thing as long as it is fair and square. There is too much stealing and gaming the system at very high levels. I would more than happy to take this the political forum or to the PM system.

I'm sorry if I took the meaning the wrong way, but it just seemed like it was implied that all wealthy people enjoy laying off their employees. I have no idea of the Blues' finances, but the loss of these jobs could have saved others and it is still possible for these jobs to come back.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
The organization will make do for the next couple years by over-delegating certain duties across more remaining workers. My guess is that once the finances are solvent some of those positions will reopen.
If the organization can get by without the people made redundant then I see no pressing need for those positions to re-open at any point in the future (unless the scope of the job the person who now handles the responsibility changes, but that is another matter entirely) nor would doing so make much financial sense.

I applaud this news as it shows the team is looking to keep from compromising the on-ice product and is becoming a leaner, more efficient workforce in the front office.
Win/Win.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote