HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jeff Skinner Extension 6 years AAV of $5.725M

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Just insane, what happened to the second contract?
Basically this contract represents a combination of his second contract and his third contract.

Assuming no massive changes in this CBA, Skinner would probably have been looking at ~$4-5M on his next contract with a high chance of offer sheets. In UFA, the sky is the limit. If he were a surefire 30-goal threat and possibly more like 40, he might be in line for a Parise-like number. Never mind inflation over the next 5 years.

So Rutherford essentially went ahead and gave him the second contract at $4.5m each, then bought 2 UFA seasons at around $8m each. Which, regardless what people will scream about on HF, is not out of line with his 2019 value as a player AND a marketing tool.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Uber Coca

I seriously like the Hurricanes roster. Great deal and great player.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Well there goes giving Eberle and Hall the Tavares contract....

Old
08-08-2012, 08:20 AM
BrawlFan

Fair deal if you pay for his potential. Kid is mad skilled and he always stands out when the Sens play him. I dont know about how many points he gets but he definitely looks like a solid player.

I think its fair if you include what the salaries of players is becoming and what his potential may be.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Too much for a 2nd contract. I mean almost 6 AAV

Old
08-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Devil Dancer

Seems like a lot for a second contract, but the term is good for the Canes.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Way too much money. The NHL needs to start limiting salary and term on second contracts.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:25 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Should be around the same as Tavares.
Really? Do you think they are even close to the same player?

Last edited by 99 steps: 08-08-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
It's the typical "Wow.. that's a lot" contract and then in 3 years people are screaming at how amazing the deal is. Should he make less? Sure. Is that a lot for an RFA contract? Sure. But I don't think it's anything to burn the city down over. It's not the most favorable, but it's got him signed and on the team for a long time.

Give it 3 years and I'm sure I'll love it.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
roboninja
EYG

Maybe he will be worth it in 3 years, but even after reading all of the rationalizations here, I am unconvinced this is a good deal for the Canes. I could see around $5M per, but this seems a little excessive. Nothing to rant and rave about, but I think Rutherford could have done a little better for the team.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:41 AM
SpezDispenser

If you're gonna give 6 million bucks, get the 10 year term.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
CupofOil

Oh lord, the overpayment people are out full force.

Myers and Tavares both got paid a year before hitting RFA status and were just as unproven as Skinner now is and actually Skinner had a much better rookie season than both of them and the cap has risen since then so i don't understand why it's an overpayment for Skinner but the Myers and Tavares contracts were universally thought of as steals at the time.
They are paying mostly based on potential just like Tavares and Myers, it's a risk but it's necessary since i'm sure Rutherford didn't want to expose Skinner to possible offer sheets next offseason.
It's not a great deal but it's not a horrible deal either.

I just hope that Tambellini takes note and gets Hall and Eberle locked up before the season starts.

Last edited by CupofOil: 08-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Really? Do you think they are even close to the same player?
When Tavares signed his contract he scored 53 goals and 68 assists in 161 games good for .751 points per game.

When Skinners signs this contract he has scored 51 goals and 56 assists in 146 games good for .732 points per game.

Obviously Tavares lived up to the extension he got, but from a negotiating stand point they were in almost exactly the same situation.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Fair deal if you pay for his potential. Kid is mad skilled and he always stands out when the Sens play him. I dont know about how many points he gets but he definitely looks like a solid player.

I think its fair if you include what the salaries of players is becoming and what his potential may be.
Plus, it locks him down before he plays with the new Carolina additions and has what could have been a really expensive season for the franchise.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Seems high to me. Don't know that he merited that type of salary. I understand he signed some term away as well but I think they overpaid

Old
08-08-2012, 09:17 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

That's the price you pay to keep your best players locked up long-term. Calling overpayment by a couple hundred thousand for one of your best players is being nitty-picky

Old
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Fair value will all depend on what happens in the next CBA and how he performs over the next few years so saying that it is overpayment at this time is premature. In the end, it only becomes an issue if he doesn't perform. Canes now have E. Staal, J. Staal, Skinner, Cam Ward, Gleason and Ruutu signed through 2017. I suspect that if Faulk has another strong year, they'll tie him up long term also.

Now they really need a few of their forward prospects (Rask, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, di Guiseppe, Nash, etc..) to step up in the next few years and perform well on cheap contracts.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I personally don't like contracts that pay out on account of potential. It seems to me that most players get lazy around the edges once they get their big payday, particularly if that day comes earlier rather than later.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Maybe he will be worth it in 3 years, but even after reading all of the rationalizations here, I am unconvinced this is a good deal for the Canes. I could see around $5M per, but this seems a little excessive. Nothing to rant and rave about, but I think Rutherford could have done a little better for the team.
Honestly, the dude probably generates close to $6M in Jersey sales alone.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
I personally don't like contracts that pay out on account of potential. It seems to me that most players get lazy around the edges once they get their big payday, particularly if that day comes earlier rather than later.
I guess we'll see, but that's the LEAST of my concerns with Skinner. The guy is dedicated and works his ass off to get better. He has been a regular with Gary Roberts in the offseason since he was 17 and Gary even commented how he was surprised at how far ahead Skinner was at his age for diet / exercise.

I don't see Skinner getting lazy being an issue.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:29 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Basically this contract represents a combination of his second contract and his third contract.

Assuming no massive changes in this CBA, Skinner would probably have been looking at ~$4-5M on his next contract with a high chance of offer sheets. In UFA, the sky is the limit. If he were a surefire 30-goal threat and possibly more like 40, he might be in line for a Parise-like number. Never mind inflation over the next 5 years.

So Rutherford essentially went ahead and gave him the second contract at $4.5m each, then bought 2 UFA seasons at around $8m each. Which, regardless what people will scream about on HF, is not out of line with his 2019 value as a player AND a marketing tool.
Ok but the problem is, using your breakdown, Canes only got Skinner for just a few UFA years before his next contract, if you actually did a 2nd short term deal, instead of having him locked up for just 2 more years, you would have locked him up then for 5,6 plus years.

IMO for players coming off ELC, 2 years deal is best, and after that a long term deal around 6 years.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Way too much money. The NHL needs to start limiting salary and term on second contracts.
If the GMs and owners aren't willing to do it, why should the league? Either they gain a little self-restraint or the market will eventually correct due to an untenable number of overpaid players (don't think this is necessarily an overpay, however).

Old
08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

And those years would have cost an insane amount if he becomes a 35 goal scorer. He's making 4.35 in year 1, so that combined with the last year of his ELC gives him 2 years to be worth that 6m a year for the last 5. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
That's the price you pay to keep your best players locked up long-term. Calling overpayment by a couple hundred thousand for one of your best players is being nitty-picky
I agree with you here. Because the same people will love to hang out in the same thread if they were to say "Well... Skinner wanted 5.725, but we only thought he was worth 5.0. So we signed a one year deal and he's likely gone next year."

Seriously? I guarantee every person here would accept an overpayment instead of losing the player if things go sour.

But I'm sort of in the middle of what GKJ said and playing devil's advocate of every user who just wants to scream overpayment for fun.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:42 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
Then your team would be full of nothing. It's the way contracts go. It happens in every sport, too.

Closed Thread