HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our team right now (lineups etc).

Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
RedMachine87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
No exaggeration, probably the softest top 6 in the league. YOu can't win in the playoffs with that kind of lineup. Are you guys forgetting how the last few cups were won?
And probably one of the more skilled top sixes in the league.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
I'd argue that, but it's funny how people are already slotting Nyquist and Brunner into the top 6 with 0 games played this season.

They're both virtually unknowns at the NHL level at this point.
And were all pretty aware of what Cleary, Sammy and Bert bring to the table as well.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Is Brunner going to play, or not?

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Is Brunner going to play, or not?
Why wouldn't he? I mean I assume he is, and I assume he goes straight into the line-up, based on what Babcock has said in the past, and how much he's excelled in the swiss league - but a surprising amount of people leave him out of the roster, I thought I might have missed something? Is there some kind of doubt?

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
joe89

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, most of the people here just bag on those 3 and call them useless.

Are you saying they bring grit? I'd agree with that.
I think we'll see one of the three in the top6, probably on Pavel's line. Franzen and Zetterberg can hold their own on the second line. Then we'll have a speedy/semi-grit/some offense third line and a gritty fourth.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Jussha

I'm going to post the lines I want to see this season and not the lines I think we're going to see. This season is going to be a crapshoot with only 48 games being played, and no preseason. FFS we might even see the Leafs make the playoffs this year LOL

Because at least to me, making the playoffs is a crapshoot this season and virtually any team can get in, as a hot start could be enough, and a slow start will kill your chances, I think this is the perfect season for the wings to miss the playoffs and have the fanbase not calling their heads (though I'm not advocating for missing the playoffs as I'd rather keep the streak alive), as expectations won't be as high, and if we are truly still getting the winter classic now for next season, fan anticipation for the next season will be as high as ever.

Thus, I'd like to see line combos that are more tailored to developing the team and players for the next season and not particularly this one due to the crap shoot nature of making the playoffs this year.

My first line

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner

Although I always thought D and Flip were a very good pair, due to how much success Z and Flip had I think you got to keep them together, and since Brunner and Z have shown great success over in Europe, I think at least the start the season with them together, if Brunner can't hack it in the NHL then Franzen takes over this spot. Hopefully Brunner's skating is good enough that he is competent enough defensively, as I'd like this line to get the tougher matchups of the top 2 lines.

My second line

Tatar - Datsyuk - Nyquist

I know this one seems crazy and isn't actually happening, but if these last 2 seasons may be Datsyuk's last, and as he still seems to be an elite player, I think having this as a second line getting weaker matchups than the first line will be huge for the development of Tatar and Nyquist down the line, and letting Tatar and Nyquist playing together still will help continue building their chemistry at an NHL level.

My third line

Franzen - Helm - Samuelsson

Should be a competent third line that can score goals as well, and maybe having Franzen on paper as a third line winger motivates him, plus if the top line struggles throughout the course of a game, he can easily slot into the top line and even be the player that is double shifted

My fourth line

Tootoo - Abdelkader - Mursak/Miller

I refuse to not give Mursak a real chance to play in the NHL so ideally Miller doesn't mind being the bench player.

First power play unit all power

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen
Kronwall - White

2nd power play unit

Nyquist - Filppula - Tatar/Brunner
Smith - Samuelsson

I hope that Bertuzzi decides with such a long layoff between seasons that he can't compete at a good enough level and decides to retire or just not play this season like tim thomas, and Cleary is either traded or plays very poorly that he is used minimally

This team maybe on paper doesn't look to good, but if Datsyuk can be elite Datsyuk for a shortened 48 game season, we will be better than people think and competing for a playoff spot, and if we miss the playoffs barely and are like the 13th or 14th overall pick in the draft, I think our prospect pool is good enough at the moment that its worth it to finally trade up from that position into the top 10 (6th - 10th overall ideally) by adding a prospect/additional pick to our draft pick and finally get a shot at a legitimate offensive threat who is ready to make a more immediate impact on the game

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
The Nose

Quote:
No exaggeration, probably the softest top 6 in the league. YOu can't win in the playoffs with that kind of lineup. Are you guys forgetting how the last few cups were won?
Grit in the top 6 is really overrated. And calling Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Franzen "soft" is a joke. Even Nyquist doesn't seem very soft, albeit at th AHL level.

Our best line year was Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler. Not every line needs a gritty net-front presence guy, especially in the top 6.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Grit in the top 6 is really overrated. And calling Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Franzen "soft" is a joke.
Lolz ensued.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
I'd argue that, but it's funny how people are already slotting Nyquist and Brunner into the top 6 with 0 games played this season.

They're both virtually unknowns at the NHL level at this point.
Nyquist has proven himself as much as you can given his production in the NCAA and AHL. It's very easy to slot him onto a scoring line. With Brunner there's a good shot he starts off on the 3rd or 4th line but we simply do not have enough true top 6 guys if he ends up in the bottom 6. So I can see him moving up to a scoring line pretty quickly even if he starts off in the bottom 6.

I can't see us spending much time trying out Cleary, Bert or Sammy on a scoring line. They've all had plenty of time to show they no longer belong there.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Tritsche

vCash: 2014
Send a message via MSN to Tritsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post

My first line

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner

Although I always thought D and Flip were a very good pair, due to how much success Z and Flip had I think you got to keep them together, and since Brunner and Z have shown great success over in Europe, I think at least the start the season with them together, if Brunner can't hack it in the NHL then Franzen takes over this spot. Hopefully Brunner's skating is good enough that he is competent enough defensively, as I'd like this line to get the tougher matchups of the top 2 lines.

Well, I am honestly not sure if Brunner will be able to translate his game in Europe to the north american rinks, but you can be sure that skating will not be a problem for Brunner. He is a very fast skater!

Tritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Lolz ensued.
Franzen is soft?

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

Quote:
Grit in the top 6 is really overrated. And calling Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Franzen "soft" is a joke. Even Nyquist doesn't seem very soft, albeit at th AHL level.

Our best line year was Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler. Not every line needs a gritty net-front presence guy, especially in the top 6.
I disagree with the first part of you're post, the second part is spot on. Fil-Z-Hudler was easily the best line last year, Franzen and Datsyuk were not great together. I would much rather see Franzen on Z's line with Brunner and Fil with Datsyuk.

As for grit the last two Cup winners were much more physical than their opponents. Grit during the regular season might be overrated but during the playoffs it is extremely important.

Iowa Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:55 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Franzen is soft?
Softer than a cookie that has been sitting in warm milk.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:

Yea in regular season. Grit wins playoff games though.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Softer than a cookie that has been sitting in warm milk.
Let's not go nuts. Franzen may not use his size at all, but he's no Jiri Hudler. He can be handy in scrums.

The funny thing is, I'm gonna assume most of you didn't see Sweden's WC games this spring, but Franzen was excellent there. Always a threat on the ice, and he was acting like a real powerforward as well, was great to see him - I'm usually quite critical of his inconsistency etc. in the Wings uniform, so it was very weird to see him do *just* the things I (and I guess everyone) wants him to do.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Let's not go nuts. Franzen may not use his size at all, but he's no Jiri Hudler. He can be handy in scrums.

The funny thing is, I'm gonna assume most of you didn't see Sweden's WC games this spring, but Franzen was excellent there. Always a threat on the ice, and he was acting like a real powerforward as well, was great to see him - I'm usually quite critical of his inconsistency etc. in the Wings uniform, so it was very weird to see him do *just* the things I (and I guess everyone) wants him to do.
That is a great news, hopefully it carries over across the pond. Excuse me if I don't hold my breath, Franzen is an enigma.

Iowa Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post

He's at his best when he's going to the front of the net and unleashing his very good shot. It certainly takes its toll but that's what he needs to do to be a very good player. He can forecheck a bit but he doesn't have the wheels to be a terror on opposing defenses. That simply isn't going to improve with age.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Please delete -- misposted trying to copypasta some stats.

Last edited by RedMenace: 01-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Totally agree with that one.

Just looked at Brunner's stat line from the NLA -- 57 points in 33 games?!

Some of the big names who played 20 or more games:
# Player Team GP G A TP PPG PIM +/-1. Damien Brunner (RW) Zug 33 25 32 57 1.73 49 18
I think Brunner's production this year indicates he should stay on Z's line. However I think Mule would be best on a line with two playmakers like Nyquist and Pavs. Both Brunner and Mule are shooters so I don't think you want them on the same line fighting for shots, we have so few shooters as it is right now.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Wingsfan View Post
I disagree with the first part of you're post, the second part is spot on. Fil-Z-Hudler was easily the best line last year, Franzen and Datsyuk were not great together. I would much rather see Franzen on Z's line with Brunner and Fil with Datsyuk.
Totally agree with that.

As an aside, I just happened to look at Brunner's NLA stat line for this season...

I mean, I knew he was "tearing it up," but not that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I think Brunner's production this year indicates he should stay on Z's line. However I think Mule would be best on a line with two playmakers like Nyquist and Pavs. Both Brunner and Mule are shooters so I don't think you want them on the same line fighting for shots, we have so few shooters as it is right now.
That is a fair point regarding Franzen, and creates quite the conundrum regarding who to play with whom.

At least there's no shortage of forwards this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
My second line

Tatar - Datsyuk - Nyquist
That line would be, simply put, absolutely filthy; they can all create space, they can all dangle, and they can all shoot the puck.

Last edited by RedMenace: 01-08-2013 at 02:16 PM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote