HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our team right now (lineups etc).

Old
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
yep

just curious but why would you even think there's a chance he isn't? he's like 3 years younger than the age cutoff and only has 14 NHL games
Maybe there was a limit like maximum 9 nhl games, like that rule when a rookie burn the first year of ELC

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Maybe there was a limit like maximum 9 nhl games, like that rule when a rookie burn the first year of ELC
ah I see

it's more than 25 games in any single season or more than 6 games each in two separate seasons

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:41 PM
joe89

Seeing as Bert and Helm are out Sat. we're looking at:
Z-Dats-Brunner
Mule-Fil-Sammy
Cleary-Abby-Tootoo
Miller-Emmerton-Eaves/Mursak

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Z-Dats-Brunner
Mule-Fil-Sammy
Cleary-Abby-Tootoo
Ouch, Blues are definitely deeper and stronger.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:48 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

I have this bad feeling that we're about to be crushed tomorrow.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
joe89

It's crazy how much worse our bottom-6 looks with Helm out. He truly holds the fort. Nothing wrong with those wingers, though.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
sepster

Insert Cory Emmerton anywhere in the lineup and it immediately looks like a giant pile of garbage.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Ouch, Blues are definitely deeper and stronger than at least 26 other NHL teams.
Fixed that for you.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
Insert Cory Emmerton anywhere in the lineup and it immediately looks like a giant pile of garbage.
He's only going to play 8 minutes and his only job will be not to get scored on. I just don't think he can do it.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:21 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Per the "Ongoing Waivers" thread in the Trade Forum, apparently Winnipeg put Meech on waivers...

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Z-Dats-Brunner
Mule-Fil-Sammy
Cleary-Abby-Tootoo
What could've been:

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Cleary - Abdelkader - Mursak
Miller - Sheahan - Tootoo
Eaves

When Helm comes back, Abby is moved down to 4th line LW. Mursak rotates with Eaves depending on the opponent. Eaves plays better with Helm.

Then next year Cleary and Miller come off the books with Tatar and Andersson taking their spots.

But Bert and Sammy are around for another year and a half

Only in 2014 there could be some flexibility, but that depends on if Datsyuk re-signs and Z, Mule and Kronner keep up their performances too. Wow, we're ****ed.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Per the "Ongoing Waivers" thread in the Trade Forum, apparently Winnipeg put Meech on waivers...
Here we go again.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Here we go again.
Heh, it seems he (along with the two others) already cleared; none of it was made public for whatever reason.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

@Bill_Roose tweeted:
"#RedWings are practicing w/ the following lines 40-13-24, 37-51-93, 17-8-11, 20-25-22. D-pairings are 55-52, 27-2, 18-28."

No surprise on the D, but the 3rd? I would rather have Tootoo up on 3rd and Eaves down on 4th. But as someone already mentioned, when Helmer is back it will look different. But I guess that will only be moving down JA.

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Mursak can't even get in the lineup with two guys out and Nyquist in GR.

Babcock's a dolt.

Gotta make sure we get Eaves some icetime ... guy hasn't played in two years while Mursak comes in Hot from Europe.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Mursak can't even get in the lineup with two guys out and Nyquist in GR.

Babcock's a dolt.

Gotta make sure we get Eaves some icetime ... guy hasn't played in two years while Mursak comes in Hot from Europe.
This really pisses me off.

I'm excited and afraid at the same time on what we see against Blues.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
This really pisses me off.

I'm excited and afraid at the same time on what we see against Blues.
Yup, but at the same time you'd expect someone who has a three month advantage to shine in a scrimmage like they had Tuesday, and Jan didn't. His days are counted in Detroit, he's not even gonna get a chance probably.

Babs loves Eaves, we know that.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Chunkylover

Why does everyone think we'll do better with rookies? Someone suggested a roster with a rookie on each line. Really? Remember how much Helm struggled in his first full season because he didn't have the stamina?

It seems like some of you guys would actually be happier if we missed the playoffs with a bunch of rookies rather than lose in the first round with a roster of somewhat known commodities. Is it not possible the coach and GM have more knowledge and insight than you? The Devils just named Bryce Salvador captain. Who saw that coming? There is a lot that goes on that we probably don't see.

Try to enjoy the season.

Chunkylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Swed Wings View Post
@Bill_Roose tweeted:
"#RedWings are practicing w/ the following lines 40-13-24, 37-51-93, 17-8-11, 20-25-22. D-pairings are 55-52, 27-2, 18-28."

No surprise on the D, but the 3rd? I would rather have Tootoo up on 3rd and Eaves down on 4th. But as someone already mentioned, when Helmer is back it will look different. But I guess that will only be moving down JA.
Z- Datsyuk- Brunner
Franzen- Fil- Samuelsson
Eaves- Abbie- Cleary
Miller- Emmerton- Tootoo

Kronner- Ericsson
Quincey- Smith
Cola- White

Hey at least we didn't sign and insert Knuble for Saturday! To me Miller seems more ready for the 3rd than Eaves but very happy he's recovered from that terrible shot to the head. Good looking that our top 6 is healthy. We'll see what Sammy can do with the opportunity. Euro Power!

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:36 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkylover View Post
Why does everyone think we'll do better with rookies? Someone suggested a roster with a rookie on each line. Really? Remember how much Helm struggled in his first full season because he didn't have the stamina?

It seems like some of you guys would actually be happier if we missed the playoffs with a bunch of rookies rather than lose in the first round with a roster of somewhat known commodities. Is it not possible the coach and GM have more knowledge and insight than you? The Devils just named Bryce Salvador captain. Who saw that coming? There is a lot that goes on that we probably don't see.

Try to enjoy the season.
There is no difference between losing in the 1st round and not making the playoffs. Either outcome is unacceptable.

Fortunately, the Wings can at least see if any of their prospects have a shot at being productive NHL'ers. It is worth not making the playoffs to find out what kind of players Nyquist, Tatar and Mursak are in the NHL on a full time basis. The other option, Sammy, Bert and Cleary dont tell you anything that you dont already know.

There is no upside to having players like Bert, Cleary and Sammy on the team. What you see is what you get. 30-40 point players who arent going to help you win the cup.

Play Nyquist, Tatar, Mursak and see who sticks. Maybe Nyquist has an amazing year and is the catalyst for a deep run. It's incredibly unlikely, but it's more likely than Sammy being that guy.

The Wings roster is worse than last year, and last year they got incredibly lucky and won 23 straight at home and still only managed to grab the 5th seed.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
There is no difference between losing in the 1st round and not making the playoffs. Either outcome is unacceptable.
Sure, there is. You don't go into the playoffs knowing your team will be ousted in the first round- that would just be hindsight bias after the event has already occurred. Any team that makes the playoffs can make a deep run (see the Kings and Devils just last year). It's always better to make the playoffs and see what happens rather than a guarantee that you will have a poor season and early draft pick. Luck, matchups, hot goalie, etc. all play a role in an unexpected long playoff run.

I heard people say the same thing with the Tigers last year. They would rather not make the playoffs than get in and get embarrassed- as if a short playoff series is somehow entirely predictable even when math and logic dictate otherwise. Instead, they made the playoffs and won the AL and got to the World series. They didn't win the WS, but it's better than the defeatist attitude that many had (i.e. I hope they don't make the playoffs b/c they have no shot anyway).

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
Sure, there is. You don't go into the playoffs knowing your team will be ousted in the first round- that would just be hindsight bias after the event has already occurred. Any team that makes the playoffs can make a deep run (see the Kings and Devils just last year). It's always better to make the playoffs and see what happens rather than a guarantee that you will have a poor season and early draft pick. Luck, matchups, hot goalie, etc. all play a role in an unexpected long playoff run.
One of the worst things that could happen from the Kings making the playoffs and winning the cup is people start thinking that any team is capable of doing what they did. It was not a fluke the Kings won the cup. It was a fluke that they underachieved so much during the regular season.

The Detroit Red Wings are in the exact opposite situation the LA Kings are in.

They were cup favorites/contenders before the season began.

If the Wings made the playoffs as the eight seed, my heart would say Wings in six against any opponent, but my brain would say, "Insert any WC opponent in 4-5 games."

Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 01-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Roy S

Quote:
One of the worst things that could happen from the Kings making the playoffs and winning the cup is thinking that any team is capable of doing what they did. It was not a fluke the Kings won the cup. It was a fluke that they underachieved so much during the regular season.

The Detroit Red Wings are in the exact opposite situation the LA Kings are in.

They were cup favorites/contenders before the season began.
Its not just the Kings. Plenty of underdogs have made deep playoff runs in the past all the way to the Cup finals (Devils, Oilers, Ducks and Flames in the last decade). Hockey is a sport due to its low scoring, lucky bounces and injuries that lends itself well to upsets. The baseball playoffs are somewhat similar, if not more flukey, which made it even more strange that fans were hoping the Tigers wouldn't make the playoffs b/c they had no shot anyway of advancing. Its like fans don't want to get their hopes up only to be disappointed and instead would rather know they will lose a lot and avoid disappointment and constantly have hope for the hypothetical future.

Besides, there is absolutely no guarantee that the Wings are going to have a bad regular season and barely sneak into the playoffs. Let the season play out and see what happens. The defeatist attitude around here is ridiculous- its as if the season is over and there is no hope.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Chunkylover

Quote:

Fortunately, the Wings can at least see if any of their prospects have a shot at being productive NHL'ers. It is worth not making the playoffs to find out what kind of players Nyquist, Tatar and Mursak are in the NHL on a full time basis. The other option, Sammy, Bert and Cleary dont tell you anything that you dont already know.

There is no upside to having players like Bert, Cleary and Sammy on the team. What you see is what you get. 30-40 point players who arent going to help you win the cup.

Play Nyquist, Tatar, Mursak and see who sticks. Maybe Nyquist has an amazing year and is the catalyst for a deep run. It's incredibly unlikely, but it's more likely than Sammy being that guy.

The Wings roster is worse than last year, and last year they got incredibly lucky and won 23 straight at home and still only managed to grab the 5th seed.
I understand losing sucks, but there is a difference between not making the playoffs and losing in the first round. Hyperbole is fine, but don't act like your exaggeration is reality.

We know Cleary and Samuelsson have been capable depth players and playoff performers. Age doesn't necessarily make Bertuzzi better or worse than Nyquist. Playing every young player possible is an indication of a tank, and don't pretend like you (plural) would enjoy that.

You all might be wrong to think Tatar and Nyquist are ready for the NHL. Nyquist is only as big as me, and I only post on a hockey board. You think he's ready, but isn't it at least intellectually possible he really isn't and Babcock and Holland know from their years of experience and first-hand observation?

Chunkylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Does anyone know the status of Joey MacDonald? I haven't heard a thing about him all offseason since you guys signed The Monster, besides that he was hurt at some point. What's his roster status? I didn't notice him on any waivers lists at all this offseason so he couldn't have been assigned to a minor league this year yet. Doesn't that mean that he's technically on the Wings' roster still?

What's his status?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote