HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
08-11-2012, 10:47 AM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Philly is apparently vying for Bouwmeester, if that goes down we might get to see this 6 times per season:

JayBo might just be the softest 6'4'' 215 lb player in the history of the league.
what a pass by brian boyle...ELITE 3rd line center LOLOLOLOLOL

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
When you say "zero in the playoffs", I hope you mean that he is replaced by another D-man rather than a repeat of last post-season. Running 5 D was probably the 2nd biggest flaw in our game after lack of scoring.
i meant it. i honestly don't think it was that big of an issue, but i definitely see the point. i don't think the odds are low that we'll see sauer or mcilrath by the playoffs.

our defense(and obviously henrik) was our best quality in the playoffs-- even towards the end. they were winning us games. we certainly could've used a 6th defenseman playing 10+ minutes, but it wasn't what did us in imo.

of course i'm speaking in the situation of a worst case scenario that we have to run 5 defenseman. i honestly feel the odds of mcilrath and/or sauer being ready by the stretch are extremely high-- especially with the chance of a brief lockout.

but with sauer+mcilrath potentially being ready for the playoffs-- the regular season with bickel won't be sooo bad. he's def a better 7th, but if we can't find one won't be my worry.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
i meant it. i honestly don't think it was that big of an issue, but i definitely see the point. i don't think the odds are low that we'll see sauer or mcilrath by the playoffs.

our defense(and obviously henrik) was our best quality in the playoffs-- even towards the end. they were winning us games. we certainly could've used a 6th defenseman playing 10+ minutes, but it wasn't what did us in imo.

of course i'm speaking in the situation of a worst case scenario that we have to run 5 defenseman. i honestly feel the odds of mcilrath and/or sauer being ready by the stretch are extremely high-- especially with the chance of a brief lockout.

but with sauer+mcilrath potentially being ready for the playoffs-- the regular season with bickel won't be sooo bad. he's def a better 7th, but if we can't find one won't be my worry.
What? It most certainly was a major factor as to why we couldn't beat the Devils. Girardi, especially, was exhausted. His play began to fall apart in that series. Our top 4 was grossly overworked.

At this point in the game, you can't count on either Mcilrath or Sauer on making the team. The Rangers need another Dman. Either 2nd or 3rd pairing.

You can't actually believe we can win a Stanley cup trotting out only five Dmen. This team does not have merely playoff aspirations, they want to win it all.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
ColonialsHockey10

NHL Network conveniently showing a random game between Pittsburgh and Atlanta from 2010. Currently 5-2 Pittsburgh.....

EDIT: 6-2....this is totally the exhilarating game I was hoping would be on television.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:02 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
NHL Network conveniently showing a random game between Pittsburgh and Atlanta from 2010. Currently 5-2 Pittsburgh.....

EDIT: 6-2....this is totally the exhilarating game I was hoping would be on television.
I think today's special on the NHL network is Pittsburgh blowouts, I think I even saw the 2009 game where they beat us 8-3 was on the schedule today

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
What? It most certainly was a major factor as to why we couldn't beat the Devils. Girardi, especially, was exhausted. His play began to fall apart in that series. Our top 4 was grossly overworked.

At this point in the game, you can't count on either Mcilrath or Sauer on making the team. The Rangers need another Dman. Either 2nd or 3rd pairing.

You can't actually believe we can win a Stanley cup trotting out only five Dmen. This team does not have merely playoff aspirations, they want to win it all.
Absolutely, and what if McD, Girardi,or Staal go down for any length of time?

They need a guy who can eat some minutes on the third pairing. I'd try to bring one of Kubina, Carlo Colaicovo, or Rozy in...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Bickel was arguably the worst player not named Mike Rupp or John Scott last yr for the Rangers. He makes stupid decisions by trying to lead a breakout himself and as soon as an opposing winger pressures him, he coughs up the puck. He has zero hockey IQ, I'd honestly rather have Gilroy. He only gets the free pass because he's a scrappy, underdog type.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Bickel was arguably the worst player not named Mike Rupp or John Scott last yr for the Rangers. He makes stupid decisions by trying to lead a breakout himself and as soon as an opposing winger pressures him, he coughs up the puck. He has zero hockey IQ, I'd honestly rather have Gilroy. He only gets the free pass because he's a scrappy, underdog type.
Mike Rupp was far from one of our worst players. He got hurt early on and was a step behind there on out. But even a step behind he was able to be effective at times. He stood up for his teammates and brought the physical play. I thought Rupp was done catching the unwarranted flack from some rangers fans but I guess not.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Mike Rupp was far from one of our worst players. He got hurt early on and was a step behind there on out. But even a step behind he was able to be effective at times. He stood up for his teammates and brought the physical play. I thought Rupp was done catching the unwarranted flack from some rangers fans but I guess not.
I agree. Rupp was brutal. I can't say Scott since he barely got playing time.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:42 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I agree. Rupp was brutal. I can't say Scott since he barely got playing time.
You mean you disagree. Because I was clearly not saying Rupp was brutal.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:

you're conveniently overlooking the fact that we were dragged out to 14 games before the ECF because of scoring(and 6 games against the devils) while the devils played what, 10? that break they get between rounds is pretty freaking huge. the odds of that happening again are extremely slim.

they don't need another d man. it's a luxury at this point.

and while i agree that we can't entirely rely on sauer or mcilrath, i think the odds of one of them being able to step in on the 3rd pair is fairly high by season's end. sauer is progressing well (think crosby's time frame wouldn't be out of the question) and mcilrath barring unforeseen injuries will probably be tested a few times like erixon was-- but mcilrath has the size that erixon did not.

i don't think that the risk of not having one of them is as big of a problem as it appears people think. i'd be happy if we got somebody like rosi to fill in on the 3rd pairing(albeit doubt he'd sign here again), but it's not a necessity by any means. as far as regular season goes, i'm more than content with bickel. he was solid during the regular season. if we can't replace him by the playoffs i'm not THAT worried. he'll have another year of nhl experience under his belt.

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 08-11-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
You mean you disagree. Because I was clearly not saying Rupp was brutal.
Whoops, this is what happens when you don't drink your coffee in the morning.

Old
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:

Absolutely this. It was extremely noticeable how gassed Girardi was and how much worse he looked as the post season dragged on. There is no way we can play our style of hockey with only 5 D.

Last edited by Bob Richards: 08-11-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:55 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Maybe Sather is waiting until Del Zotto is re-signed before adding another defenseman? There are still some solid free agent defensemen left who are better than Bickel. Mark Eaton and Scott Hannan should be cheap. Colaiacovo has been mentioned but could cost more. Easy minutes on the third pair. Less pressure and minutes for McDonagh and Girardi who will have more left in the tank for a long playoff run.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Absolutely this. It was extremely noticeable how gassed Girardi was and how much worse he looked as the post season dragged on. There is now way we can play our style of hockey with only 5 D.
Even though he was exhausted, he played the best offensive hockey in his career in that series. I think he may have some serious untapped offense potential.

Old
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Maybe Sather is waiting until Del Zotto is re-signed before adding another defenseman? There are still some solid free agent defensemen left who are better than Bickel. Mark Eaton and Scott Hannan should be cheap. Colaiacovo has been mentioned but could cost more. Easy minutes on the third pair. Less pressure and minutes for McDonagh and Girardi who will have more left in the tank for a long playoff run.
I think he is waiting for new cba to see how much cap space he has before adding cheap depth guys

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Even though he was exhausted, he played the best offensive hockey in his career in that series. I think he may have some serious untapped offense potential.
At least he looks like he wants to shoot. He might miss the net sometimes, but I'll take that trade off, considering some of our defensemen look like they're going to get killed if they shoot.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I don't think Sather is making any moves until after he has a better idea what the CBA entails. When the CBA is done(or at least close)is when Sather will make more moves.

Sather will either:

a)make a trade for a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman who addresses the PP(triggerman). Visnovsky may be a real possibility if his case isn't decided until after the CBA is done. Its looking that way.

or

b)pick up a bottom pairing Dman through free agency.

Honestly, I think Sather already has this worked out. He is just waiting to know how much cap room he has before he pulls the trigger.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 08-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old
08-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Girardi was being put into a TON of offensive situations. I've never been a huge fan of his offensive game. He doesn't have a great shot, and he makes some very questionable decisions with the puck at times in Ozone. I cannot stand Dan G on the PP.

I think the only reason Dan got PP time was Torts doesn't like his Dmen on the off side. Danny is a righty who plays the right side. I cannot understand why Torts has such an aversion of putting lefty's on the right side of the PP. It would help us a lot more getting off shots from the point.

I don't think there is much untapped potential with Dan in that regard. McD, on the other hand.

Old
08-12-2012, 06:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers don't like Vishnovsky's cap hit. They looked at him last winter. $5.6M. That's a big number.

Quote:
frank (NYC)

who would be a goos palyer for the rangers to pick up that would help with their horrible powerplay? and do you think callahan has steped up to the captin role?

Pierre LeBrun (2:47 PM)

Visnovsky would really help their PP but I don't think NYR like his cap number ($5.6 M) at all. He's signed for another season as well
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...-pierre-lebrun

The cap is set close or at $64.3M using the NBA model,where is Sather finding $5.6M?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
Absolutely this. It was extremely noticeable how gassed Girardi was and how much worse he looked as the post season dragged on. There is no way we can play our style of hockey with only 5 D.
Going that style for 82+20, I wonder if 8 Ds would have been enough...

...hence why getting offense and puck possession skills is crucial for this team. Instead of worrying about our NR 6 D.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

AHAHAHAHAA Flyers!!!

@billmeltzer: http://t.co/FHDyzDFW - Lilja has Hip Surgery, Will Miss Four Months

Another d-man gone!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lilja sucks anyway. But there's even less depth now. Haha Philly.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...VeijZpbgII0lnN

brooks article

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers don't like Vishnovsky's cap hit. They looked at him last winter. $5.6M. That's a big number.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...-pierre-lebrun

The cap is set close or at $64.3M using the NBA model,where is Sather finding $5.6M?
It is a big number, but its only for one season. He would be a rental. I think Sather is waiting to see what the CBA looks like, and if he wins his arbitration case.

Visnovsky would not effect our RFAs next summer. If the CBA comes tight, they may trade for a guy like Cody Franson. But, more than likely, they will sign a cheap UFA.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 08-12-2012 at 09:40 AM.