HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XV): The Non-Frenzy Edition

Old
08-22-2012, 05:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Puck Daddy and Buccigross saying Buffalo offer is legit. Pegula is tapped. No way Yotes go 4/30

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

It's shocking that Doan didn't jump all over that Sabres deal. It's pretty clear that he wants to end up back in Phoenix, obviously not all for the money.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Sometimes I swear it seems like only a handful of GMs, including Sather, remember what a 2nd contract is.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Sometimes I swear it seems like only a handful of GMs, including Sather, remember what a 2nd contract is.
And I'm thankful Slats remembers. Glad we do not give out 6 or 7 year guaranteed contracts based on potential.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
And I'm thankful Slats remembers. Glad we do not give out 6 or 7 year guaranteed contracts based on potential.
He's a #1 pick that was on pace for 70 pts. He's gonna get paid either way.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He's a #1 pick that was on pace for 70 pts. He's gonna get paid either way.
Hall was still 1 year away from RFA. Oilers could have waited to see what the new CBA terms would be, but I guess they jumped at the chance to lock him up for 2 UFA years at 6m per. It's still a risk though.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Puck Daddy and Buccigross saying Buffalo offer is legit. Pegula is tapped. No way Yotes go 4/30
They'd still be under the cap floor. Don't know if they have the money for Doan plus a full team, or if they want him for that long though.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Hall was still 1 year away from RFA. Oilers could have waited to see what the new CBA terms would be, but I guess they jumped at the chance to lock him up for 2 UFA years at 6m per. It's still a risk though.
I don't think it's a risk at all. I don't see Hall declining from his style of play. He was pretty much hyped as a 15 yr old and has gotten progressively better every year. New CBA may also restrict contracts longer than 5yrs, so it's good that they locked up their franchise player before that CBA clause.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I guess Buffalo needs another **** contract to go with Leino. One is never enough.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:38 AM
NYR Viper

Would anyone else be willing to take a flyer on Huselius? I know he has been injured the past couple of seasons but when healthy he is a point producing winger. With Gaborik out maybe he would be a good insurance policy as a top-6 winger?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Would anyone else be willing to take a flyer on Huselius? I know he has been injured the past couple of seasons but when healthy he is a point producing winger. With Gaborik out maybe he would be a good insurance policy as a top-6 winger?
For 1 year/1 million, I would.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Nah.

I believe quite many players are thrown into a cathegory of not fitting into what we are trying to do here, for no good reason. It can be players who aren't consistant (due to not having the offensive ability/hockeysense to be a constistant offensive force) or players who aren't that physical or players who just are from Europe or whatever. Facts are that Torts played Strålman a ton and would have played Zucc alot (if not injured). In the end, what you do on the ice to help the team is what matters, not if you are a Torts type of player (say Woywitka, why not?) or not (Strålman)

But Kristian Huselius is just not a "clutch" player in any sense.

He needs alot of room and attention (definitely relevant to draw a parallel to Jaromir Jagr, although on a diffrent level). Huselius got that special ability to carry a team offensively, and adjust and find ways to get on the board "by himself" almost on a regular basis. I've seen him break the record for regular season pts in the SEL for example. He had 77 pts for Calgary for only a couple of years ago.

But just like JJ could drive you nuts with his offensive focus, that when it didn't work just looked insane, Huselius can also get into a pattern when he just tries and tries and tries to do stuff that isn't effective in any sense. With Huselius, you get alot. Many shifts. I am sure you could get clutch goals in the PO's even. But he will also dissapear like Gabby does. But when he dissapears offensively, you do not get a invisible player like Gabby you get a big fat standout in a negative fashion. Its exactly that that would basically kill Torts. Give him a heart-attack/physically assult Huselius on the bench.

In the end, I do think that even a player who isn't clutch in any sense could be effective for us. I do think that a left handed playmaker would be perfect for us and could also produce in the PO's (there are a ton of examples of that in the PO's lately, skilled players who are very untypical PO performers doing really well when it matters the most, skill is a central point in the game today). But Kristian Huselius, nah, even I have to question him...

Like, I would be excited if we did get him, because potentially it could be one of those moves that turns out to pay off a ton. I would lie if I said anything else.

But we would really get one of the most anti-Torts players in the league. How could that work out?

Last edited by Ola: 08-23-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Huselius is injured. He says Columbus rushed him to return and he's hurt again. From: @Aportzline
Sent: Aug 23, 2012 9:27a

Regarding former #CBJ Kristian Huselius ... #CBJ say he won't return their calls this summer, and , thus far, has not been medically cleared

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/238628514977439744

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Unless there's a miracle,there will be a lockout on September 16. Gaborik will be back by the time NHL hockey is played again.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Ola

Definitely Tom Poti at forward.

Tom Poti could do alot of good things on a PP. Like we all know. He was 7th overall in scoring among D's in 03' and so forth. But Poti could, even in his prime, still look so darn awkward with the puck. Make sloppy passes. Mishandle the puck. Much more so than a stiff ever did. 4 good plays, 1 horrible.

Huselius as a forward is natrually not that sloppy, but he definitely got that element to him.

And when I watch our PP, the one thing that stands out is just how extremely few players we got who are comfortable at just passing the puck around at a very high tempo. Richards can do it. MDZ can do it. Stepan, pretty well. Callahan? No. Gabby? No. And so forth. Philly has like 5-6 forwards who passes the puck around like that in their sleep. Gabby will sheit his pants if a PKer puts his stick in the way. I would very much appriciate a forward who was just comfortable passing around the puck. Say a Pat Elias, no matter how old and broken down he was. But with Huselius, you don't even get a forward who is very good at that... He is good on the PP, but he is not that steady element.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I guess Buffalo needs another **** contract to go with Leino. One is never enough.
Misery loves company.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/D...ey-to-Business
apparently we are interested in Colaiacovo along with Detroit and Montreal in the hunt as well

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I agree with the fact that it's an awful contract. The shame of it is - a team like Buff or LI have to drastically overpay to bring in UFA's...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
apparently we are interested in Colaiacovo along with Detroit and Montreal in the hunt as well
I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal... I wouldn't give him multiple years with his history though.

Part of me just wants Rozy back on a cheap one year deal - if it can be worked out. He plays the right side, and wouldn't look out of place in the top 4 if someone was injured. I thought he looked very good in the playoffs with PHO last season...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I think Strålman and CC is in the same mold.

Offensive minded, very talented, D's. Like most offensiveminded D's, they have flaws defensively/are not strong defensively (which of course applies to guys like Erik Karlsson, Dan Boyle, ****tenkirk and co too). But, these two are not typical great PPQB's. Its just an aspect they've not pinned down in the NHL (yet?). And if 25-30 pts is all you get, many clubs just don't look their way. I think its very extremely hard to argue that they aren't "top 180 D's" (30 teams x 6 Ds) in the NHL. They are probably top 90-120. There is alot of below avg D's out there. But, teams often look after a PPQB or a stay at home D, someone they can put in a mold, and D's like this ends up not being all that sought after.

I wouldn't mind CC either. I think both CC and Strålman are two D's who could do (alot) better overall than they have so far in their career. Especially if one of them could find a role on a successful PP (which is essential for a D looking for any kind fo production). Then their production would go up and their confidence would grow as pts ended up on the board.

CC would just give Strålman some competition.

Old
08-24-2012, 03:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Huselius is injured. He says Columbus rushed him to return and he's hurt again. From: @Aportzline
Sent: Aug 23, 2012 9:27a

Regarding former #CBJ Kristian Huselius ... #CBJ say he won't return their calls this summer, and , thus far, has not been medically cleared

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/238628514977439744
I don't think he is injured. SEL teams are negotiating with him. He has said that the SEL was an option yesterday in AB.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15303015.ab

Old
08-24-2012, 06:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
"Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th," said Doan's agent, Terry Bross. "(Ownership has to) be done before the 15th, otherwise we're signing somewhere because we don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don't know if it's going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then.

"I guess from that respect, time is ticking."
Quote:
But before a deal between Doan and the Coyotes can be completed, Doan's camp maintains that an owner needs to be secured. Since becoming a free agent July 1, Doan has emerged as the last prized player available. He's received interest from 16 teams with six issuing official offers.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...-equation.html

Guess Doan will be going to Buffalo. The NHL is focusing all of their efforts on getting a new CBA. Bross has a new deadline every week. Today is August 24. CBA expires 3 weeks from tomorrow. Buffalo made Doan the 4 years/$30M offer.

Bross is weird. Limit any scope of a contract. Any limit won't be more than 5 years. The NHL has proposed 5 years. The NHL would settle for a number a little higher than 5 years. How many years does Doan want? Bross isn't a hockey agent. Doan is his only client. It shows.

Old
08-24-2012, 06:33 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:

Guess Doan will be going to Buffalo. The NHL is focusing all of their efforts on getting a new CBA. Bross has a new deadline every week. Today is August 24. CBA expires 3 weeks from tomorrow. Buffalo made Doan the 4 years/$30M offer.

Bross is weird. Limit any scope of a contract. Any limit won't be more than 5 years. The NHL has proposed 5 years. The NHL would settle for a number a little higher than 5 years. How many years does Doan want? Bross isn't a hockey agent. Doan is his only client. It shows.
From what I can gather from that is that Doan doesn't like some of the offers from teams like Buffalo because he doesn't really want to play there. The money is there, but he doesn't really want to play in that city or on that team. I believe what he is saying is that it's possible with the new CBA, that the cap is figured out a different way besides average salary. He'll want Doan to sign a deal that will not get him onto a team that will now have to shed cap in order to get under the new limit. I don't think it is about term, it's got to be about the cap hit.

My guess is Doan doesn't take Buffalo and will look at a deal like this:

7.5, 6.5, 5, 2. 4 years 21 million. Cap hit under this CBA: 5.25 Million. Cap hit could be yearly salary as well with whatever kind of rollback happens. I believe the best determinant for the cap hit could be tossing out the highest and lowest salaries and take the average of the rest. That would eliminate Doan's 7.5 and 2 million seasons. Essentially making the deal a two year 11.5 million deal. Cap hit for that deal would be: 5.75M With this type of cap construction, Richards new cap would be: 8.25M

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Ola

Quote:

He'll want it frontloaded too with bonuses and the whole package. He'll get paid for this season, even if the entire season is cancelled. And so forth.

Big risk in him waiting for a new CBA.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Any team giving Doan a front loaded 35 plus contract is out of their mind. He is a 36 year old athlete. Doan has done nothing for your team and he is 36 years old. The 35 plus contract stays on the books. Doan and Bross want a 4 year deal. Besides Buffalo,which team has offered 4 years? The NHL misses a year and what will Doan look like with a year off. The NHL is a much younger league right now than it was in 03-04. Doan is so important to have with the CBA expiring and is worth a ridiculous contract? His best days are behind him. Bettman said the NHL wants a more restrictive CBA. He said that was the idea in 2005 but he did a lousy job in not making it tight enough. The NHL will achieve their goal of making the CBA a much tighter and tougher agreement than the current CBA. They might not get everything but will have more than they have right now. Good luck to the team giving Doan a long term 35 plus contract.