HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What if the Montreal Maroons were still around?

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 02:43 AM
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
What if the Montreal Maroons were still around?

It would be one of the biggest rivalries in ALL of sports! Anglophones vs Francophones, it would be like Celtic Vs Rangers (Protestants vs Catholics). Imagine all of the chaos that would exist if the team was still around.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:47 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

With the draft ect... There will be a rivalry because it's in the same city, but Anglo vs Franco, that ain't possible in today's NHL.

Habs Prospects website
Old
08-08-2012, 02:51 AM
La Sainte-Flanelle

The history would still be there-- The Maroons were created to cater to the english community of Montreal, The Habs were created for the Francophones.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:18 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Sainte-Flanelle View Post
The history would still be there-- The Maroons were created to cater to the english community of Montreal, The Habs were created for the Francophones.
I was strictly speaking of the players for both teams, but I guess the anglo-franco rivalry between the fans would have stand still regardless of the players in all NHL teams being so diversified.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 08-08-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: MOD EDIT
Old
08-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I think the relationship between the Anglophone and Fracophone populations in Montreal would be a whole lot more strained in general had the Maroons survived, much like how the Old Firm has helped perpetuate the sectarianism in Glasgow.

The rivalry wouldn't be nearly as intense as the Old Firm is though, the political differences aren't as strong and Montreal is a much wealthier city than Glasgow.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I think the relationship between the Anglophone and Fracophone populations in Montreal would be a whole lot more strained in general had the Maroons survived, much like how the Old Firm has helped perpetuate the sectarianism in Glasgow.

The rivalry wouldn't be nearly as intense as the Old Firm is though, the political differences aren't as strong and Montreal is a much wealthier city than Glasgow.
Well said, and also, as huge as hockey is in Montreal, soccer (I hate that word) really is THE religion and life-style in the UK. For example, a guy can walk down Ste.Catherine's street in a Leafs or Bruins jersey but you wouldn't dare do that in parts of London (Before some smarty pants says it, I mean wear other away jerseys -- not Leafs and Bruins jerseys).

Old
08-08-2012, 06:11 AM
FinnHab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Maroons

Thats interesting stuff, i didnt knew that Forum was originally built for Maroons. U live and learn...

Old
08-08-2012, 06:33 AM
La Vieille Garde
Rookie User

What if I wore my Dortmund hat in London?

Last edited by La Vieille Garde: 08-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 06:36 AM
giovannicanella

Actually same city sports rivalries fanbsases now usually personify the middleclass/working class/blue-collar workers versus white-collar workers/The 1% & Economic elite etc however we usually have our own reasons for adopting a team, for me it was love at first sight.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:08 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Could have been interesting but I am not sure the whole Anglo v Franco thing would have applied as much and you would have easily have had people switching sides, especially in today's bandwagon world.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Actually same city sports rivalries fanbsases now usually personify the middleclass/working class/blue-collar workers versus white-collar workers/The 1% & Economic elite etc however we usually have our own reasons for adopting a team, for me it was love at first sight.
This is what I was going to say. It's a haves vs have nots as opposed to heritage
Rangers Vs Islanders
Yankees Vs Mets
Giants Vs Jets
Lakers Vs Clippers
49ers Vs Raiders (Somewhat counts)

Old
08-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Et le But

The Montreal Maroons wouldn't be able to survive as an Anglophone team in modern Montreal.

Forget Rangers vs Celtic, the closest soccer comparison would be Barcelona and Espanyol. Especially since Barcelona is the closest comparison to Montreal I've been to when it comes to a bilingual city defined by the language divide.

Espanyol, Barcelona's lesser known "other" team, was originally "Real Club Deportivo Español" and has a reputation of being supported by people loyal to Spain. The truth is a bit more complicated than that but for FC Barcelona, who have played up their Catalan nationalism origins in marketing, it was a great way to slander their lesser rivals as pro-Franco traitors.

Espanyol in 1995 changed their name to the Catalan spelling to show that they too are pro-Catalan, and have been marketing their allegiance to Catalan culture far more than to Spanish language and culture. A big part of the rivalry today, even though it's very one sided, is that Barcelona fans continue to accuse Espanyol of being disloyal to the city and Catalunya as a whole, the mayor even recently created a big issue by claiming FC Barcelona is the 'true' team of the city.

If the Maroons still existed I imagine the situation would be similar, the Maroons would go out of their way to show they too are Quebecois and French-friendly. If anything it would increase the Quebecois nationalism on both sides, much as the Canadiens pumped up the Francophone factor when the Nordiques were around.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:18 PM
tinyzombies

My understanding that the Maroons had a tough team identity, like the Leafs or Bruins. They probably would still have that. They'd be a small market team compared to the Canadiens as well, so probably be like Nashville. Some big rugged guys, but some cheap, soft Euro guys up front.

Canadiens probably never would have played in the Forum. They probably would have built something about where they are now or east, much earlier.

Maroons would have tried to snag French players, no question, so language issues probably would have faded.

But would the language laws allow them to keep the name Maroons? Probably would have been good business to change the name anyway.

Les Marrons Sont La!

And who knows, maybe the Canadiens would have folded, like they almost did in the late 30's. Would the rule giving them rights to French players have standed? They probably would have had to split them? Would Beliveau have been a Marron?

Old
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Hugo Sham

the language debate is less important because by the time howie morenz, dick irvin, toe blake...all the way to scottie bowman, the habs became a team of francos AND anglos. Now if the maroons had survived, it's nearly impossible to predict what would've happened. knowing montreal, and knowing the nordiques/hab rivalry maybe political, religious and linguistic tension would've remained. those that mentioned the two teams divided along economic lines might be true too. the most logical answer is a combo of everything - language, winning legacy, religion, etc - i don't think the maroons would've been exclusively the team for anglophones. what if the NHL had placed them in another conference altogether? only to have them join up in the modern age of realignment - Adams division, Northeast. what if both teams were courting the best possible local players? what if the 'anglo' maroons ended up drafting Lafleur? we know enough today that some fans follow teams because of one player, one superstar.

tough question and almost impossible to answer.

Old
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Sorry, I don't foresee good things coming out of this thread. If another mod wants to re-open it, that's fine.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Closed Thread