Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Hockey News predicts Jets 14th in East

Old
08-08-2012, 01:18 PM
trebendan

vCash: 500
Hockey News predicts Jets 14th in East

The Hockey News' website predicts the Jets will finish in 14th place in the East for 2012-13. Isn't that a virtual guarantee that the Jets will now make the playoffs?

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Hockey news... More like Hockey Poos! Am I right?

Most "experts" believe the Jets are among the most improved teams in the league.

I don't know why or how they figure they got worse.

One of my compadres broke down their piece and shredded them -> here.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
The Hockey News' website predicts the Jets will finish in 14th place in the East for 2012-13. Isn't that a virtual guarantee that the Jets will now make the playoffs?
Honestly with almost making it last season and improving the roster(getting bigger and adding the necessary pieces to allow most players to play at their ability) plus with a training camp and team cohesion and minus relocating an entire franchise in the month of may.,.

Call me crazy but it seems like all the things that kept us out are fixed. I don't see how we don't make it.alot depends on how we play against our own division and how we play on the road, both should be better.

If we finish 14th in the east we need a new ****ing coach. Depending on how Toronto does randy Carlyle may be available.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
If we finish 14th in the east we need a new ****ing coach. Depending on how Toronto does randy Carlyle may be available.
I agree. Fourteenth would be a real disappointment and it would likely be about coaching or Pav completely crapping the bed.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

If this roster finishes 14th in the Eastern Conference and stays respectably healthy, I'll put serious question in to 2 things, Claude Noel, and the players.

This roster to me (if we stay healthy, which is key) should either make the playoffs or miss out in the last few games. That's how much confidence I have in this team.

08-08-2012, 01:50 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
If this roster finishes 14th in the Eastern Conference and stays respectably healthy, I'll put serious question in to 2 things, Claude Noel, and the players.

This roster to me (if we stay healthy, which is key) should either make the playoffs or miss out in the last few games. That's how much confidence I have in this team.
On coaching:

I thought Noel did a great job last year. The 2011-12 Jets were largely the same squad that was a complete embarrassment the year before. Kane, Bogo and Burmi showed solid growth and the team drastically improved in terms of both shots and goals against. He did this with some major defensive injuries too.

I am curious to see what Noel does with a little more talent and multiple NHL caliber lines.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

I see the jets having a better record than NYL,Florida.Toronto and Montreal......... with t with these 7 teams fighting it out for the last three spots ...Carolina ,Buffallo,Winnipeg, Washington,Ottawa .Tanpa Bay,and New Jersey.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
On coaching:

I thought Noel did a great job last year. The 2011-12 Jets were largely the same squad that was a complete embarrassment the year before. Kane, Bogo and Burmi showed solid growth and the team drastically improved in terms of both shots and goals against. He did this with some major defensive injuries too.

I am curious to see what Noel does with a little more talent and multiple NHL caliber lines.
Is there a coach that actually took the reigns of a losing team and developed the young players and then won a cup? There must be...

I just always thought that there was a coach you won with and a coach you developed with. Maybe Noel is the development guy.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Last year we were a dreadful road team and essentially had 2.5 lines (LLW, Kane & friends, GST).

We have nowhere to go but up.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
On coaching:

I definitely think we made strides forward under Noel and co. The 2010-2011 Atlanta Thrashers showed glimpses of solid play but experienced the growing pains in a pretty big collapse. Last years team changed the culture and philosophies and contended for a playoff spot for the majority of the season with essentially the same roster, which is promising to me. This is the year I think we make the next step to the playoffs. Chevy has added to the team to improve it from some of last seasons downfalls and flaws, I feel we will surprise quite a few people.

I also have a feeling we'll have great chemistry, top to bottom, which can go a long, long way.

Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Kane, Jokinen, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Wellwood, Slater, Thorburn, Miettinen, Machacek

Enstrom, Bogosian, Byfuglien, Hainsey, Stuart, Clitsome, Postma

Pavelec

... Too much there in my opinion for them to finish at the bottom of the barrel.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:10 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Last year we were a dreadful road team and essentially had 2.5 lines (LLW, Kane & friends, GST).

We have nowhere to go but up.
We are so naming his line that! Evander Kane and friends. Yes!!

Old
08-08-2012, 02:28 PM
EpicGingy

I like Montreal, too, but they honestly put them ahead of the Jets? All they've done is try to make themselves a little tougher, which really is where they needed to start (that's really all Bergevin could do this Free Agency).

Toronto added JVR, yet they lost Schenn on a team that has a questionable blueline, and JVR could still end up producing like he did with the Flyers. That's a question mark.

I have no words for Buffalo.

We'll be in a dogfight for the 7th and 8th seeds, and if we miss out by 3-6 points, I really wouldn't be all too disappointed.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

so mail it in for mackinnon?

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Nothing Is New

Quote:
On coaching:

Easy there.

A four point differential does not a 'complete embarrassment' make.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
so mail it in for mackinnon?
If we're not going to be in the playoffs, I hope we have a good chance of snagging him. The 2013 draft is supposed to be pretty deep on talent, from what I've heard, though.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Easy there.

i'm not going to put words in anyones mouth but i think the "complete embarrassment" would probably reflect the horrific tailspin post december for that atlanta squad.

This article is ridiculous, and I will now eagerly read the AIH drubbing of it. though i will not cancel my THN subscription as it is the only magazine I've ever subscribed to.

Grind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Easy there.

The tail spin was part of it, but the extra twenty some goals against and boat loads of extra shots against were also a big part of it. I see the difference between the two teams as greater than the point total indicates.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
JetsHomer

Eastern Conference is wide open in my mind. You got Rangers, Boston, Flyers, Pens locks to make the playoffs, then the rest is wide up. No order the Southeast goes could surprise me, though I expect the Caps to finish 2cd, but any team in the SE could make the playoffs as a three seed.

Then the 6-7-8 seeds are all open for teams like Ottawa, Jets, Tampa, Carolina, Buffalo, Montreal and Washington. New Jersey should be in this mix too, I dont see them finishing higher than 8, and could see them lose the conference.

John Tavares could have a career year and get the Isles in as an 8, but in that Atlantic I don't think so. Toronto does anything about they're goaltending and they're right back in the mix.

It's gonna be a crazy playoff race this year in the East, imo

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Eastern Conference is wide open in my mind. You got Rangers, Boston, Flyers, Pens locks to make the playoffs, then the rest is wide up. No order the Southeast goes could surprise me, though I expect the Caps to finish 2cd, but any team in the SE could make the playoffs as a three seed.

Then the 6-7-8 seeds are all open for teams like Ottawa, Jets, Tampa, Carolina, Buffalo, Montreal and Washington. New Jersey should be in this mix too, I dont see them finishing higher than 8, and could see them lose the conference.

John Tavares could have a career year and get the Isles in as an 8, but in that Atlantic I don't think so. Toronto does anything about they're goaltending and they're right back in the mix.

It's gonna be a crazy playoff race this year in the East, imo
I am really curious to see how the Pens do. Over the last few years, they've had a hard time keeping their top players healthy. Without Staal this gets amplified, they don't have that great of a top 6 if they lose Sid or Geno for an extended period.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
I see the jets having a better record than NYL,Florida.Toronto and Montreal......... with t with these 7 teams fighting it out for the last three spots ...Carolina ,Buffallo,Winnipeg, Washington,Ottawa .Tanpa Bay,and New Jersey.
This is probably closer to the truth than either HN or the HF Jets Fan Club. Jets have ranged between 76 and 84 (average ~80) points the past 5 seasons, putting them between #10-14 in the East. A successful season IMO would be 90+ points, a marked improvement, which would put them in the top 10, but not necessarily in the playoffs. I am hoping for more and will be disappointed, but not surprised or angry, if we improve by 6-8 points but just miss this year. Steady as she goes...

Last edited by scelaton: 08-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.
scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

That magazine has really taken a turn for the worse. They've just had **** articles as of late.

Don't think I'll be re-upping my subscription next year.

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Hawker14

Better than 1st overall in the "A".

Woohoo !!!

GO JETS GO !!!

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
And who did they predict to finish 14th last year?

Florida (East) and Phoenix (West).

It's banner time.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Call me ****ing crazy but the only reason teams like Philly, Ottawa, and NJ were better than the Jets last year is because of their star power. Ie: giroux beast mode, Spezza's most complete season as a player IMO, Parise healthy on Devils.

Philly lost Jagr, Carle and now Mez for the year.

Ottawa could likely be in again if Karlsson improves a bit more.

NJ finished bottom five two years ago when Parise was out or he season.

The difference between 7th and 12th isn't as much as we all think.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
On coaching:

lol.

Complete embarrassment is a bit of an overstatement, don't ya think?

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote