Hockey News predicts Jets 14th in East

Old
08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if our entire top 9 (Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Jokinen, Little, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Wellwood) produced 35-40+ points.
I would be EXTREMELY surprised.

Looking back at teams that have that kind of balance, the Jets would need to score upwards of 260 goals and would probably end the season with more than 100 points.

Over the last 5 years:
2011-12: Nobody did it.
2010-11: Chicago did it with 258 GF. Detroit and the Flyers were close.
2009-10: Nobody did it.
2008-09: Detroit did it with 294 GF. Boston did it with 274 GF. Pens did it with 264 GF.
2007-08: Nobody did it.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The 3rd line will not score 120 points. There isn't even a remote chance that happens.

Zero team had that kind of offence from their 3rd line last year. Not Pittsburgh, not Boston, not the Flyers. 3rd lines don't get enough ice time and they surely don't get enough powerplay time to put up that kind of production.

138 forwards scored 40 points or more last year, that is less than 5 per team.

191 players scored 30 points of more last year, that is about 6.4 per team.

If the 3rd line scores a combined 90 points, the Jets will be in pretty good shape.
Always good to see the stats and realize the remote probability of an wish list item. most of my thoughts were based around what I think each of our third line player options are capable of scoring. Poni and Antro could easily put up 40 points but it would take a big year for Burmi to get there the problem is although my statement is accurate and realistic based on their talent and history it seems highly unlikely it would happen if they were playing 3rd line minutes (the proverbial small print moment). Glad you assisted me in modifying my expectations before the season started.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Always good to see the stats and realize the remote probability of an wish list item. most of my thoughts were based around what I think each of our third line player options are capable of scoring. Poni and Antro could easily put up 40 points but it would take a big year for Burmi to get there the problem is although my statement is accurate and realistic based on their talent and history it seems highly unlikely it would happen if they were playing 3rd line minutes (the proverbial small print moment). Glad you assisted me in modifying my expectations before the season started.
I would love to see them do it and who knows, they theoretically have the talent, but so much of point production comes down to opportunity.

I hope they can all push for 30 pts, but somebody is going to get some crap defensive minutes and their production will suffer.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

This is why I honestly feel good about this team, it has the depth and balance in my opinion to be a decent hockey team. Whether or not all of those top 9 forwards achieve 35-40+ points, the truth is they all have the potential and tools to do it, rather easily and realistically when looking at each player individually. Now we have to see what they can do as a "team". With that being said, I think you're right truck that it does come down to ice-time and opportunity, and some guys may (and will) be more limited than others.

All in all, I like the way this team looks on paper and am pretty damn excited to see them on the ice, barring a lockout of some sort.

I don't think we're a contender by any means, but I surely think this group has the potential, enough talent, and chemistry to play a role like the Sens and Panthers did last season. Fans around the league don't view us very well, but I think we'll surprise.

08-22-2012, 03:03 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
This is why I honestly feel good about this team, it has the depth and balance in my opinion to be a decent hockey team. Whether or not all of those top 9 forwards achieve 35-40+ points, the truth is they all have the potential and tools to do it, rather easily and realistically when looking at each player individually. Now we have to see what they can do as a "team". With that being said, I think you're right truck that it does come down to ice-time and opportunity, and some guys may (and will) be more limited than others.

All in all, I like the way this team looks on paper and am pretty damn excited to see them on the ice, barring a lockout of some sort.

I don't think we're a contender by any means, but I surely think this group has the potential, enough talent, and chemistry to play a role like the Sens and Panthers did last season. Fans around the league don't view us very well, but I think we'll surprise.
Ya I agree.

For example, Antro and Welly produced almost exactly same rates (other than secondary assists) but you can see a difference in the numbers just with a small degree of different usage.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote