HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Parks & Rec Season Premiere ^_^

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2012, 04:45 PM
  #51
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
This is my speaker setup for a party on Friday lol.

Damn I hope your neighbors are invited otherwise they're not going to like you much.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
  #52
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Damn I hope your neighbors are invited otherwise they're not going to like you much.
They know haha.

Also,


__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 09:02 PM
  #53
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,131
vCash: 500
I don't listen to much hip-hop/rap/r&b

The Fugees
Blu & Exile
Lauryn Hill
Immortal Technique
Lupe Fiasco
Tupac & Notorious

That is about it.

invictus is online now  
Old
08-10-2012, 09:15 PM
  #54
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,614
vCash: 500
Biggy
Atmosphere
Old school Dr. Dre and Snoop

The only rap worth a single damn.

Coach John McGuirk is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
  #55
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Biggy
Atmosphere
Old school Dr. Dre and Snoop

The only rap worth a single damn.
Tupac's music was awesome, particularly before the Death Row era.

The entire catalog of Wu-Tang through the first round of releases (36 chambers, Cuban linx, Liquid swords, Tical, Ironman) was incredible and is really underappreciated.

The Roots up until Things Fall Apart were fantastic, especially Things Fall Apart and Illadelph Halflife

OutKast was great also.

There are good albums out now too they are just hard to find.

Action Bronson and Killer Mike have had great albums recently

johnniewalker is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 09:57 PM
  #56
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Tupac's music was awesome, particularly before the Death Row era.

The entire catalog of Wu-Tang through the first round of releases (36 chambers, Cuban linx, Liquid swords, Tical, Ironman) was incredible and is really underappreciated.

The Roots up until Things Fall Apart were fantastic, especially Things Fall Apart and Illadelph Halflife

OutKast was great also.

There are good albums out now too they are just hard to find.

Action Bronson and Killer Mike have had great albums recently
Dang, I feel shame. I play those a ton and have no idea how I left them off

invictus is online now  
Old
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
  #57
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,614
vCash: 500
I forgot Wu Tang.

I do not like Tupac's **** at all.

Coach John McGuirk is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
  #58
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toasty!
Country: United States
Posts: 9,009
vCash: 500
http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=ysGiUe...ayer_embedded#!

iamjs is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
  #59
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post

Action Bronson and Killer Mike have had great albums recently
No offense to Killer Mike, but the biggest reason that his album is good is because of the producer, El-P. He also released an album this year that is great. Strongly recommended to all.

Mr. T is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
  #60
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
No offense to Killer Mike, but the biggest reason that his album is good is because of the producer, El-P. He also released an album this year that is great. Strongly recommended to all.
I'll check it out. The production on R A P Music was incredible. Killer Mike has great flow though

johnniewalker is offline  
Old
08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
  #61
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
The People Under The Stairs are a great hip-hop band. Big 90s vibe, great beats.

Tasty Biscuits is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 07:07 AM
  #62
Florentino Ariza
Registered User
 
Florentino Ariza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I dislike Renner. I think because of how much I hated The Hurt Locker and how overrated it was.
The Hurt Locker is a very good movie. What is your reasoning behind that statement?

Florentino Ariza is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 09:34 AM
  #63
SherogoesHAM
Registered User
 
SherogoesHAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...ning-sickness/

Probably the most important discovery of our lifetimes. Nobel Prize Worthy.

SherogoesHAM is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 10:20 AM
  #64
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,773
vCash: 500
I'm a big Talib Kweli fan

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 10:49 AM
  #65
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
No offense to Killer Mike, but the biggest reason that his album is good is because of the producer, El-P. He also released an album this year that is great. Strongly recommended to all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I'll check it out. The production on R A P Music was incredible. Killer Mike has great flow though
The first I ever heard of Killer Mike was on the track Civil War with Immortal Technique. Great song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
The Hurt Locker is a very good movie. What is your reasoning behind that statement?
I disagree wholeheartedly. I am trying to find my post from around when it came out as I went into a lot more detail. If I find it, I will quote it.

Basically, I just thought it was overrated in many aspects and not even that great as a standalone. The dialogue was so unrealistic between the members of the military that it was quite laughable. Many of the things that happened in the film simply made no sense. The part where he leaves to go gallivanting through the city by himself, while still wearing half his uniform, is particularly eye-roll inducing. Not only that, but I believe there was a part involving him trying to take on some "bad guys" in a building with what amounted to a bunch of Marines standing around outside doing nothing, and he didn't think to get their aid, etc...

Keep in mind, some of these criticisms may be off on the exact details as I saw it 2+ years ago. But, more or less, I thought it was hot garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm a big Talib Kweli fan
And another, I loved Blackstar

invictus is online now  
Old
08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
  #66
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
So I've made my way to the great white north. I'm in Canada on vacation on a fishing trip. I'm actually surprised that the place I'm staying at has Wi-Fi. I'm also surprised there are no ****ing mosquitoes. Its too bad its been raining for most of the day though.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 11:49 AM
  #67
Florentino Ariza
Registered User
 
Florentino Ariza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
The part in The Hurt Locker where the guy goes running through the streets at night and then returns to his base made no sense to me. You won't get any argument from me there. I'm sure the director, the producer and the writers took liberties when they were making the movie so that much of the dialogue and actions of the squad seemed unrealistic to veterans. However, you must keep in mind that it is a film and we don't necessarily go to the movies to see realistic portrayals of anything. I enjoyed it for the tension, the action (I liked the sniper scene) and the way that the movie ended.

The main problem with the movie for me was that besides the action and tension that I noted, the film didn't really have anything creative to say about war except that for some people it can be addictive.

I don't think it was a great film but when you have films as weak as the majority that come out of Hollywood, of course it is going to be lauded as one of the best of the year.

Florentino Ariza is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
  #68
D Heinze
Registered User
 
D Heinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers
Country: France
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
So I've made my way to the great white north. I'm in Canada on vacation on a fishing trip. I'm actually surprised that the place I'm staying at has Wi-Fi. I'm also surprised there are no ****ing mosquitoes. Its too bad its been raining for most of the day though.
Oh man. You must have gotten some kind of luck with your timing then. It was brutal up here (northern AB). This was my first time in the north during the summer and, I can tell you, I have NEVER seen anything like the mosquitos/blackflies up here. Costa Rica/north Argentina weren't even this bad.
Granted it was only for 6 weeks or so, but still.


To move back to music, when I wasn't in Canada this summer, I got to see some really great shows - bands that I haven't seen before. The Lumineers may have been the best surprise. They have a great stage presence, they are really tight and keep very true to their produced stuff, plus they seemed to genuinely love to perform with eachother for a receptive crowd. Seem like a good group of guys/gals.

Alabama Shakes was amazing, as expected. Such energy!!

The Head and the Heart was really good. I have only heard the songs from their self-titled album, but they played a lot of new stuff and it was good. Maybe better than the singles from the first album. Unfortunately the venue was not my favorite (Mr. Smalls, I really wish that the national acts would stop going there). This show would have been a lot higher if at any other venue.

D Heinze is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
  #69
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 33,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
The part in The Hurt Locker where the guy goes running through the streets at night and then returns to his base made no sense to me. You won't get any argument from me there. I'm sure the director, the producer and the writers took liberties when they were making the movie so that much of the dialogue and actions of the squad seemed unrealistic to veterans. However, you must keep in mind that it is a film and we don't necessarily go to the movies to see realistic portrayals of anything. I enjoyed it for the tension, the action (I liked the sniper scene) and the way that the movie ended.

The main problem with the movie for me was that besides the action and tension that I noted, the film didn't really have anything creative to say about war except that for some people it can be addictive.

I don't think it was a great film but when you have films as weak as the majority that come out of Hollywood, of course it is going to be lauded as one of the best of the year.
I thought it was a good movie, but it definitely got extra attention simply for being about what it was about at the right time.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
08-11-2012, 04:46 PM
  #70
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Heinze View Post
Oh man. You must have gotten some kind of luck with your timing then. It was brutal up here (northern AB). This was my first time in the north during the summer and, I can tell you, I have NEVER seen anything like the mosquitos/blackflies up here. Costa Rica/north Argentina weren't even this bad.
Granted it was only for 6 weeks or so, but stilll
I think so because there is like a haze of mosquitoes normally. We are about a half hour above North Bay right now. We usually rent cabins but backpack in and camp out for a week. We only return to the cabins to get some supplies and shower lol. This is the first time I can ever remember walking through the bush and being able to wear a cut off shirt. Normally we are dressed from head to toe in long sleeves. The rain kept us out for today though.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  #71
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,669
vCash: 500
Has anyone played Slender? Scariest ****ing game ever.

End of Line is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
  #72
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,135
vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Has anyone played Slender? Scariest ****ing game ever.
Saw a few videos of gameplay footage on Youtube, personally I don't understand the hype.


MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
  #73
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
The part in The Hurt Locker where the guy goes running through the streets at night and then returns to his base made no sense to me. You won't get any argument from me there. I'm sure the director, the producer and the writers took liberties when they were making the movie so that much of the dialogue and actions of the squad seemed unrealistic to veterans. However, you must keep in mind that it is a film and we don't necessarily go to the movies to see realistic portrayals of anything. I enjoyed it for the tension, the action (I liked the sniper scene) and the way that the movie ended.

The main problem with the movie for me was that besides the action and tension that I noted, the film didn't really have anything creative to say about war except that for some people it can be addictive.

I don't think it was a great film but when you have films as weak as the majority that come out of Hollywood, of course it is going to be lauded as one of the best of the year.
Yeah, as to your first bolded point, I think that is what annoyed me about it. The first I heard of it was when it was getting early Oscar hype as "the most realistic war movie yet about Iraq" and things like that, so it sort of left me thinking "wait, what? what about that was realistic?"

I guess I agree with you more than I thought. I think it was one of those things where, if I'd just randomly seen it without knowing anything going in, I'd have thought it was a decent way to kill an evening, but high expectations brought it down for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I thought it was a good movie, but it definitely got extra attention simply for being about what it was about at the right time.
yeah, probably so.


Either of you watch Generation: Kill?

invictus is online now  
Old
08-11-2012, 11:11 PM
  #74
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,493
vCash: 500
The sad thing is that The Hurt Locker still doesn't even belong in the conversation of worst 'Best Movie' of the past decade or two.

It took the perfect storm for that one to win...and that storm happened. 2008 was the worst year for movies in a good while. Most years there's at least one good alternative to win...but there really wasn't that year. I'm still bitter about the Academy bumping up the nominees all the way to 10, but even with that many nominees there wasn't anything that could even be described as deserving of that award that year.

Avatar - Hah. Titanic blockbustered it's way to winning before, but that was a different era.
The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock pulled off the impossible - winning both a Razzie and Best Actress...but it was a mediocre sports movie wrapped in tears...ugh.
District 9 - Haha, really? It was a fun movie, but let's not take things too seriously here...
An Education - I join everyone else in saying I never saw it and I never heard of it until it was announced as a nominee.
Inglorious Basterds - I really need to see this movie again so I can fully understand it (I paid the American equivalent of $24 to see it subbed in Danish, a language I don't speak...for a normal American movie that's not an issue, but this one was 2/3 in French and German so **** me), but it still doesn't stand up with Tarantino's best.
Precious - No.
A Serious Man - One of the Coen Brothers' few misses. Far from a bad movie, just as far from deserving of being a nominee for Best Picture.
Up - Honestly this would have been my pick...but no animated movie, even from Pixar, is going to win Best Picture.
Up in the Air - Another decent to good movie that doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.

I mean, I love Up...it hit an emotional chord with me and Pixar should win one of these one day...but I don't expect that day will happen until people who watched cartoons past the age of 8 are in the 'Academy' (which is a long ways from happening yet) and even if it did happen Up isn't the best Pixar movie out there...but 2008 was just **** for movies.


To be fair, Best Picture is a pretty terrible award anyway. It's pretty impossible to do an Award Show right without it being a conglomeration of critics...the general public borders on retarded when it comes to the arts and the Academy is a group of old white guys who are trying to cover for the fact that they spent entire lifetimes donating to the campaigns of Strom Thumond and will now vote for whatever is the biggest hot-button topic at the time just so people will stop calling them racist. I mean, how else can you explain Crash winning Best Picture? Good ****ing lord...

I would take this time to argue that it's never going to be a proper 'Best Picture' category until they accept foreign films...but that'll never happen and I've accepted that. Everyone limiting their film choices to American-made (or English speaking) films is severely limiting the amount of awesome that exists out there.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 08-11-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Big McLargehuge is online now  
Old
08-11-2012, 11:15 PM
  #75
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!
 
Dovahkiin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bethel Park,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 500
Ted was pretty funny.

Dovahkiin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.