HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Ummm I'm not a fan of signing Hannan but to answer your question yes\yes\yes.
ignoring the potential factor. Might as well dump non-elite guys like Teubert\Peckham\Fedun if you can pick up over the hill guys like Hannan\Rozsival etc.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Petro Points

Gilbert\Schultz swap was a wash..
we gave up some offense for a little less D zone breakdowns.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:04 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I think Gilbert was just beginning to round into form. Some might disagree.
Gilbert was vastly over rated. Petry has already surpassed him and makes 1.75. Gilbert makes 3.0 with a 4.0 Cap Hit.

I wouldn't take back Tom Gilbert for a second round pick. To me he would be redundent on this team at this current time.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
ignoring the potential factor. Might as well dump non-elite guys like Teubert\Peckham\Fedun if you can pick up over the hill guys like Hannan\Rozsival etc.
Yes eventually you have to make that decision when you have a plethora of other prospects in the system who are higher on the depth charts than those guys.

But to justify I was simply stating that Hannan is better now than the three you listed and Peckham. Also not sure hwy you would have to dump any of these guys for one year of Scott Hannan. If you did then so long Potter.

Last edited by Reimer: 08-20-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old
08-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Gilbert was vastly over rated. Petry has already surpassed him and makes 1.75. Gilbert makes 3.0 with a 4.0 Cap Hit.

I wouldn't take back Tom Gilbert for a second round pick. To me he would be redundent on this team at this current time.
disagree... people here have short memories... I am a big Petry fan but he will never match Gilbert's 45 point season.
If anything Gilbert was underrated in EDM because he wasnt flashy.

Just because he would be redundant does not make his value equal to a 2nd rounder. Petry was signed to a show me what you got deal.. Gilbert was given a long term contract.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:23 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
disagree... people here have short memories... I am a big Petry fan but he will never match Gilbert's 45 point season.
If anything Gilbert was underrated in EDM because he wasnt flashy.

Just because he would be redundant does not make his value equal to a 2nd rounder. Petry was signed to a show me what you got deal.. Gilbert was given a long term contract.
Tom Gilbert made more bad plays than he did good ones. He was extremely frusterating to watch at times. The reason he had 45 points is a result of him being thrown into every situation. Grebs had 39 points and played 10 less games that season. Visonvsky, 31 points in 50 games. Both of those guys would have surpassed TG in points if they had stayed healthy.

Trust me, Oilers won the Schultz for Gilbert deal. NS is solid, rarely gets caught out of position and is a solid leader. When the Wild traded him, their locker room was devastated. The only people missing Gilbert are the shoe stores in town.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
disagree... people here have short memories... I am a big Petry fan but he will never match Gilbert's 45 point season. If anything Gilbert was underrated in EDM because he wasnt flashy.

Gilbert would have never matched those numbers playing for the Oilers. I'd even be willing to say that he will never match that again in his career.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Gilbert would have never matched those numbers playing for the Oilers. I'd even be willing to say that he will never match that again in his career.
Gilbert was on pace for 30 pts for Oilers and has had 30+ pts 3 times for us in past.
Petry got good minutes last year but failed to reach that mark. Doubt he would be scoring 30+ for us in future.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Tom Gilbert made more bad plays than he did good ones. He was extremely frusterating to watch at times. The reason he had 45 points is a result of him being thrown into every situation. Grebs had 39 points and played 10 less games that season. Visonvsky, 31 points in 50 games. Both of those guys would have surpassed TG in points if they had stayed healthy.

Trust me, Oilers won the Schultz for Gilbert deal. NS is solid, rarely gets caught out of position and is a solid leader. When the Wild traded him, their locker room was devastated. The only people missing Gilbert are the shoe stores in town.
its pretty much a wash... Schultz was solid for last year but nothing spectacular. He is pretty redundant on this team as well.. We need a big bruising Dman in out top 4.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Gilbert was on pace for 30 pts for Oilers and has had 30+ pts 3 times for us in past.
Petry got good minutes last year but failed to reach that mark. Doubt he would be scoring 30+ for us in future.
???

Where did I say anything about Petry? Also the number with Gilbert that were talking about is 45 not 30.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
its pretty much a wash... Schultz was solid for last year but nothing spectacular. He is pretty redundant on this team as well.. We need a big bruising Dman in out top 4.
Redundant? What d-men do the Oilers have that are good at playing on the defensive side of the puck and are able to break up plays with their stick and keep the puck out of their net.

If you're saying he redundant because he doesn't hit like every single Oiler then sure but that's a wash because Gilbert didn't hit either, so not really a point to use against Schultz.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
I think Gilbert was just beginning to round into form. Some might disagree.
Prior to his injury he was playing a LOT more physical last year, but his offense really fell off a cliff IMO the last 2-3 years. When he returned he didn't look like the same player from earlier in the year IMO, hopefully he returns to that caliber of player again for his sake.

Quote:
For one thing it was Petry's rookie year, for two things he had 25 points, 1:16 a game on the PP and had 1-5-6 in 93:36 of total PP time. Gilbert last year went for 22 points in 67 games compared to Petry's 25 in 73 games.

Gilbert played 2:20 a game on the PP and 156:51 total PP TOI with 2-4-6, the same amount of points as Petry except Petry did it in more than an hour less of PP time.

Gilbert went for 2-14-16 on the PP in his career year in '08-09 in 238:32 minutes. Visnovsky missed 32 games that year so it's probably safe to say that Gilbert got to play with Souray on the PP for a good bit which couldn't have hurt seeing as he led our team in scoring that year.

Petry will be over 30 points next year and for many years to come, however he may never get the PP time that Gilbert did because we added Justin Schultz.

08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Petry scored 25 pts in 73 games with minimal PP time as a rookie and you don't think that he will score 30+ points in the future especially with those forwards to pass to? Petry is an offensive defenseman first and foremost. If he doesn't reach 30+ points with the offensive players that he's surrounded with then he will pretty much be a bust because he will never be stout defensively in all likelihood so offense will be his calling card.

Gilbert is better than Petry now but Gilbert was made expendable by Petry's emergence.
I would rather see Petry get his top 4 shot with a defense first player like Nick Schultz on the roster than Gilbert pushing Petry further down the depth chart for at least another season and only one true defender in Smid. It's time to see what we have in Petry and we have a stabilizing defensive player in Schultz (which we really needed), i don't see a problem with that and in fact, i think Schultz is the perfect fit for the current roster with young guys like Justin Schultz and Petry still learning the ropes. Sheltering D partners is not Gilbert's strength.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Fourier

Quote:
I think people are forgetting injuries. That's why you need defensive depth. That's why you need dependable guys like Scott Hannan to fill out your defensve core. Is our D pretty good if nobody misses any games? Maybe. But this is the Edmonton Oilers we're talking about. Might as well call them the Edmonton Injured.
How is it that you have much veteran depth when you can really only carry 7 dmen on your active roster for all but a short time? You can't stockpile these guys.

Typically in the NHL defensive depth comes from prospects who are still waiver eligible but who are also NHL ready. Nashville has been the master of this type of roster building. Right now Teubert is pretty much the closest thing the Oilers have to that type of player.

The other kind of depth dmen are the Potters of the world. These are career minor league vets whp can play in a limited role in a pinch.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
DousedInOil

If Gilbert was still on the team, I don't see us signing Justin Schultz.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I said this after we signed Schultz, it was met with much resistance.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
If Hall,RNH, and Eberle are on this team the Oilers don't draft Yakupov right?

Are you guys kidding me?

Why the hell would you not sign a top prospect because you have Tom Gilbert on the team?

Explain that to me

Old
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I think management would have still pulled out all the stops to try to sign him but it may have made Edmonton a less attractive destination due to there being two RS Dmen in the top 4 already.

Or maybe Schultz loves shoes and they would have gotten along famously.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post

Are you guys kidding me?

Why the hell would you not sign a top prospect because you have Tom Gilbert on the team?

Explain that to me
The same reason you would draft Nathan Mackinnon next year if he falls into your lap because you have Sam Gagner on the team already.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post

Are you guys kidding me?

Explain that to me
Well the Oilers almost didn't draft Yakupov.

Plus maybe Schultz doesn't see enough opportunity with us if we had more d depth like Gilbert and decides to sign somewhere else.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:23 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Well the Oilers almost didn't draft Yakupov.

Plus maybe Schultz doesn't see enough opportunity with us if we had more d depth like Gilbert and decides to sign somewhere else.
Riiight. I would have bet the farm that they would draft the guy who was BPA by a mile.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Riiight. I would have bet the farm that they would draft the guy who was BPA by a mile.
Tambo looked quite nervous on that one, like he thought he was making the wrong choice. So nervous in fact he forgot to thank the drafting city and stanley cup winners.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Jooked

Quote:
Tambo looked quite nervous on that one, like he thought he was making the wrong choice. So nervous in fact he forgot to thank the drafting city and stanley cup winners.
He didn't do it for RNH either.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Booya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooked View Post
But....but my tin foil hat!

People need to stop looking too deeply into things IMO. Nicely pointed out there.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:49 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooked View Post
My gut feeling has always been that he and Lowe wanted Murray

Closed Thread