HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
  #951
obglim
Registered User
 
obglim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
I think allowing him to go and win his own WJC would help him bond with his peers. Hall and Eberle have both experienced it and he hasn't.

obglim is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:02 PM
  #952
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
IMO it's more or less to right a wrong. Let the kid go win something he should have been given at shot at already.
But that seems kind of selfish as a fan to want him to go down a level, just so we can say he got the Gold at the WJHC. He's beyond that now. Let the new crop of players have their shot.

It just feels like a twenty year old driving a Camaro past a high school, looking to pick up chicks. It may work, but that doesn't make it right.

Neilio is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  #953
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
But that seems kind of selfish as a fan to want him to go down a level, just so we can say he got the Gold at the WJHC. He's beyond that now. Let the new crop of players have their shot.

It just feels like a twenty year old driving a Camaro past a high school, looking to pick up chicks. It may work, but that doesn't make it right.
The level of play at the WJC for a week and a half will be better than the level of play mid-season duringthe AHL season.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
  #954
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
The level of play at the WJC for a week and a half will be better than the level of play mid-season duringthe AHL season.
You are way off saying the AHL level of play mid season is worse than the WJC. Atmosphere and environment would be heightened when compared to a mid-season AHL game but the quality of hockey being played doesn't and it's not even close.

ogorr is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
  #955
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogorr View Post
You are way off saying the AHL level of play mid season is worse than the WJC. Atmosphere and environment would be heightened when compared to a mid-season AHL game but the quality of hockey being played doesn't and it's not even close.
I'm moreso referring to the medal round games rather than the round robin games against Germany and Slovakia.

That kind of tournament and competition will be good for him. Then he can go back and resume playing AHL. It really is a win win if he gets to play WJC and calder cup games.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  #956
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
The level of play at the WJC for a week and a half will be better than the level of play mid-season duringthe AHL season.
The AHL is one of the best leagues outside the NHL. During the lockout, it is going to be extra competitive with all of the young NHL talent being sent down on each team. Playing against seasoned pros will not be a cake walk. I love the WJC, but most of those kids would not make an AHL team as they are right now. All but a few would have the chops to be a first liner at the AHL level. Its a great tournament to watch because its kids playing kids. Its exciting and intense, but I disagree that its a higher level. Mid season NHL is less exciting than the WJC by far, but that doesn't mean its a lower level. Ask Curtis Hamilton if the AHL is a level below the WJC.

The Nuge still has work to do physically handling bigger, stronger and more experienced players. Also things like defensive work and faceoffs that you only get better at with more experience.

Neilio is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
  #957
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
The AHL is one of the best leagues outside the NHL. During the lockout, it is going to be extra competitive with all of the young NHL talent being sent down on each team. Playing against seasoned pros will not be a cake walk. I love the WJC, but most of those kids would not make an AHL team as they are right now. All but a few would have the chops to be a first liner at the AHL level. Its a great tournament to watch because its kids playing kids. Its exciting and intense, but I disagree that its a higher level. Mid season NHL is less exciting than the WJC by far, but that doesn't mean its a lower level. Ask Curtis Hamilton if the AHL is a level below the WJC.

The Nuge still has work to do physically handling bigger, stronger and more experienced players. Also things like defensive work and faceoffs that you only get better at with more experience.
I didn't mean the actual level of play is higher. I just mean the experience for RNH will be better, to actually get to play for something and compete. For all we know the lockout could end after December and at least RNH wouldn't just get to play regular season AHL games, he would get to play high competition win or go home type games. Something he's really only done once in his career in the WHL playoffs. I think that level of competition and atmosphere would do wonders for the kid.

Put it this way, it will not hurt his development in any way shape or form.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 04:57 PM
  #958
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I didn't mean the actual level of play is higher. I just mean the experience for RNH will be better, to actually get to play for something and compete. For all we know the lockout could end after December and at least RNH wouldn't just get to play regular season AHL games, he would get to play high competition win or go home type games. Something he's really only done once in his career in the WHL playoffs. I think that level of competition and atmosphere would do wonders for the kid.

Put it this way, it will not hurt his development in any way shape or form.
It may not hurt, but I don't know how much it will help. He's played in other tournaments of that nature. Under -17s and the World Championship last spring. I'd just rather he stay focused on what he is doing at the pro level.

I also think of how much having a player like that around will help the other players on the Barons. Not only in terms of winning, but their level of play will be elevated by him. That's a benefit that the whole organization can use. I'm sure MPS, Harti, Pitlick, Shultz and Eberle would rather have him feeding them the buttery soft passes than some guys that will be in other organizations.

Neilio is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 05:01 PM
  #959
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
It may not hurt, but I don't know how much it will help. He's played in other tournaments of that nature. Under -17s and the World Championship last spring. I'd just rather he stay focused on what he is doing at the pro level.

I also think of how much having a player like that around will help the other players on the Barons. Not only in terms of winning, but their level of play will be elevated by him. That's a benefit that the whole organization can use. I'm sure MPS, Harti, Pitlick, Shultz and Eberle would rather have him feeding them the buttery soft passes than some guys that will be in other organizations.
...and for 7-15 games whatever it may be I don't think that's a big enough reason to keep him out of the WJC. They will still have the leadership from Eberle present.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  #960
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Funny all that talk of Hemsky and Jagr playing together and when there comes a chance for the two of them to play together during a lockout they end up just playing in their hometowns.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 02:54 PM
  #961
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Scott Gomez to the ECHL, somewhere there is a joke in there.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 03:07 PM
  #962
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Scott Gomez to the ECHL, somewhere there is a joke in there.
Playing for Alaska again?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
  #963
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Playing for Alaska again?
Yep.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 03:51 PM
  #964
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Scott Gomez to the ECHL, somewhere there is a joke in there.
Trying out for future employment I'm sure.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 04:09 PM
  #965
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Former Oiler Cam Barker trying out for Texas Stars in #AHL.

I knew my boy Barker would would get it done.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 04:15 PM
  #966
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Former Oiler Cam Barker trying out for Texas Stars in #AHL.

I knew my boy Barker would would get it done.
What the hell happens when they cut him?

Seriously a guy like him the PA should be on suicide watch for.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 04:48 PM
  #967
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,125
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What the hell happens when they cut him?

Seriously a guy like him the PA should be on suicide watch for.
Yes.

Millionaire with one lifelong dream checked off the bucket list....please seek counseling....

BoldNewLettuce is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 04:56 PM
  #968
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Yes.

Millionaire with one lifelong dream checked off the bucket list....please seek counseling....
Yeah, I don't think that properly sums up the situation.

That said, he could probably play in Europe without too much issue.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM
  #969
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Yes.

Millionaire with one lifelong dream checked off the bucket list....please seek counseling....
What his lifelong dream was to become one of the biggest busts in the past 15 years?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 05:10 PM
  #970
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,744
vCash: 500
Was Barker on Chicago when they won the cup?

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
  #971
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Was Barker on Chicago when they won the cup?
No I think they traded him before, they did indeed for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy Trade deadline 2010

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 07:06 PM
  #972
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No I think they traded him before, they did indeed for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy Trade deadline 2010
What a trade.

Senor Catface is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
  #973
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
What a trade.
To be fair, Johnsson was a salary cap dump, hurt and didn't play at all I don't think.

Edit: Sorry, he played 8 games before being finished for his career.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 08:01 PM
  #974
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Barker got traded before hand.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 09:43 AM
  #975
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
To be fair, Johnsson was a salary cap dump, hurt and didn't play at all I don't think.

Edit: Sorry, he played 8 games before being finished for his career.
I remember a poster credible poster on Spectors hockey at the time talking about how the team soured on Leddy. I thought it was too soon to sour on the kid, but they thought they could do something with Barker.

joestevens29 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.