HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
obglim

vCash: 500
I think allowing him to go and win his own WJC would help him bond with his peers. Hall and Eberle have both experienced it and he hasn't.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
IMO it's more or less to right a wrong. Let the kid go win something he should have been given at shot at already.
But that seems kind of selfish as a fan to want him to go down a level, just so we can say he got the Gold at the WJHC. He's beyond that now. Let the new crop of players have their shot.

It just feels like a twenty year old driving a Camaro past a high school, looking to pick up chicks. It may work, but that doesn't make it right.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
But that seems kind of selfish as a fan to want him to go down a level, just so we can say he got the Gold at the WJHC. He's beyond that now. Let the new crop of players have their shot.

It just feels like a twenty year old driving a Camaro past a high school, looking to pick up chicks. It may work, but that doesn't make it right.
The level of play at the WJC for a week and a half will be better than the level of play mid-season duringthe AHL season.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
ogorr

Quote:
The level of play at the WJC for a week and a half will be better than the level of play mid-season duringthe AHL season.
You are way off saying the AHL level of play mid season is worse than the WJC. Atmosphere and environment would be heightened when compared to a mid-season AHL game but the quality of hockey being played doesn't and it's not even close.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogorr View Post
You are way off saying the AHL level of play mid season is worse than the WJC. Atmosphere and environment would be heightened when compared to a mid-season AHL game but the quality of hockey being played doesn't and it's not even close.
I'm moreso referring to the medal round games rather than the round robin games against Germany and Slovakia.

That kind of tournament and competition will be good for him. Then he can go back and resume playing AHL. It really is a win win if he gets to play WJC and calder cup games.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
The AHL is one of the best leagues outside the NHL. During the lockout, it is going to be extra competitive with all of the young NHL talent being sent down on each team. Playing against seasoned pros will not be a cake walk. I love the WJC, but most of those kids would not make an AHL team as they are right now. All but a few would have the chops to be a first liner at the AHL level. Its a great tournament to watch because its kids playing kids. Its exciting and intense, but I disagree that its a higher level. Mid season NHL is less exciting than the WJC by far, but that doesn't mean its a lower level. Ask Curtis Hamilton if the AHL is a level below the WJC.

The Nuge still has work to do physically handling bigger, stronger and more experienced players. Also things like defensive work and faceoffs that you only get better at with more experience.

Old
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
The AHL is one of the best leagues outside the NHL. During the lockout, it is going to be extra competitive with all of the young NHL talent being sent down on each team. Playing against seasoned pros will not be a cake walk. I love the WJC, but most of those kids would not make an AHL team as they are right now. All but a few would have the chops to be a first liner at the AHL level. Its a great tournament to watch because its kids playing kids. Its exciting and intense, but I disagree that its a higher level. Mid season NHL is less exciting than the WJC by far, but that doesn't mean its a lower level. Ask Curtis Hamilton if the AHL is a level below the WJC.

The Nuge still has work to do physically handling bigger, stronger and more experienced players. Also things like defensive work and faceoffs that you only get better at with more experience.
I didn't mean the actual level of play is higher. I just mean the experience for RNH will be better, to actually get to play for something and compete. For all we know the lockout could end after December and at least RNH wouldn't just get to play regular season AHL games, he would get to play high competition win or go home type games. Something he's really only done once in his career in the WHL playoffs. I think that level of competition and atmosphere would do wonders for the kid.

Put it this way, it will not hurt his development in any way shape or form.

Old
09-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
I didn't mean the actual level of play is higher. I just mean the experience for RNH will be better, to actually get to play for something and compete. For all we know the lockout could end after December and at least RNH wouldn't just get to play regular season AHL games, he would get to play high competition win or go home type games. Something he's really only done once in his career in the WHL playoffs. I think that level of competition and atmosphere would do wonders for the kid.

Put it this way, it will not hurt his development in any way shape or form.
It may not hurt, but I don't know how much it will help. He's played in other tournaments of that nature. Under -17s and the World Championship last spring. I'd just rather he stay focused on what he is doing at the pro level.

I also think of how much having a player like that around will help the other players on the Barons. Not only in terms of winning, but their level of play will be elevated by him. That's a benefit that the whole organization can use. I'm sure MPS, Harti, Pitlick, Shultz and Eberle would rather have him feeding them the buttery soft passes than some guys that will be in other organizations.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
It may not hurt, but I don't know how much it will help. He's played in other tournaments of that nature. Under -17s and the World Championship last spring. I'd just rather he stay focused on what he is doing at the pro level.

I also think of how much having a player like that around will help the other players on the Barons. Not only in terms of winning, but their level of play will be elevated by him. That's a benefit that the whole organization can use. I'm sure MPS, Harti, Pitlick, Shultz and Eberle would rather have him feeding them the buttery soft passes than some guys that will be in other organizations.
...and for 7-15 games whatever it may be I don't think that's a big enough reason to keep him out of the WJC. They will still have the leadership from Eberle present.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 427
Funny all that talk of Hemsky and Jagr playing together and when there comes a chance for the two of them to play together during a lockout they end up just playing in their hometowns.

Old
09-28-2012, 02:54 PM
joestevens29

Scott Gomez to the ECHL, somewhere there is a joke in there.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Playing for Alaska again?

09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Playing for Alaska again?
Yep.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Trying out for future employment I'm sure.

09-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Former Oiler Cam Barker trying out for Texas Stars in #AHL.

I knew my boy Barker would would get it done.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
Former Oiler Cam Barker trying out for Texas Stars in #AHL.

I knew my boy Barker would would get it done.
What the hell happens when they cut him?

Seriously a guy like him the PA should be on suicide watch for.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:48 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
What the hell happens when they cut him?

Seriously a guy like him the PA should be on suicide watch for.
Yes.

Millionaire with one lifelong dream checked off the bucket list....please seek counseling....

Old
09-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Yes.

Millionaire with one lifelong dream checked off the bucket list....please seek counseling....
Yeah, I don't think that properly sums up the situation.

That said, he could probably play in Europe without too much issue.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Yes.

What his lifelong dream was to become one of the biggest busts in the past 15 years?

Old
09-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Was Barker on Chicago when they won the cup?

Old
09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Was Barker on Chicago when they won the cup?
No I think they traded him before, they did indeed for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy Trade deadline 2010

Old
09-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No I think they traded him before, they did indeed for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy Trade deadline 2010
What a trade.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
What a trade.
To be fair, Johnsson was a salary cap dump, hurt and didn't play at all I don't think.

Edit: Sorry, he played 8 games before being finished for his career.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:01 PM
rockinghockey

Barker got traded before hand.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
To be fair, Johnsson was a salary cap dump, hurt and didn't play at all I don't think.

Edit: Sorry, he played 8 games before being finished for his career.
I remember a poster credible poster on Spectors hockey at the time talking about how the team soured on Leddy. I thought it was too soon to sour on the kid, but they thought they could do something with Barker.

Closed Thread